Creative Movesets (GBU) [Read the OP]

I'm not really sure if this is creative but say what you guys think...
LickiLicky @Choice Scarf
Cloud Nine
Naive/Hasty
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 Atk / 252 Speed
-Power Whip
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Focus Blast
This set allows all weather threats switch or die, since this set covers all Ninetales, Politoed, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Abomasnow you see on random matchup.
You might want to give it a bit more Attack EV's, since Power Whip should be used against three of the setters. Focus Blast doesn't really have a use since you have Whip for Rocks and Fire Blast for Steels, not sure what'd replace it though.

What I sometimes use a a lead:

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Nature: Modest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Acid Spray
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball / Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Ground / Focus Blast???

A lot of people don't expect the acid spray and you can force switches really easily.
Turn 1 Acid Spray, breaking sash and giving -2 SpDef, next turn hit them with SE move.
If you can manage to live without using the sash, Giga drain might be nice to get back to full HP.
It outspeeds most things that aren't scarfed.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A Japanese player killed me with a Choice Scarf Moxie Honchkrow the other day. The idea is to soften up the opposition with your lead, revenge kill with Honchkrow, amp up your attack with Moxie, and sweep with attack of choice. With Honchkrow's good STABs and decent attack, I think this would work. I'm inspired to rework this as:

Honchkrow @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
Moxie
252 Atk/252 Speed
Brave Bird
Night Slash
Sucker Punch (?)
filler

Unfortunately Superpower is illegal with Moxie, but I think Conkeldurr would make an excellent partner because it resists Rock, kills Steels + Tyranitar that resists its STAB, and Honchkrow can switch into Psychic. It may look terribly walled on paper but this piques my interest...

You might want to give it a bit more Attack EV's, since Power Whip should be used against three of the setters. Focus Blast doesn't really have a use since you have Whip for Rocks and Fire Blast for Steels, not sure what'd replace it though.
Hm, not sure about that...
128 Atk / 128 SpA

Volcarona@power herb
Flame body
Timid
Ev 4hp/252 spa/ 252 spe
-solarbeam
-fire blast
-quiver dance
-bug buzz

pretty much the standard volcarona, but this catches the enemy off guard. the common volcarona cannot take out gastrodon/swampert and other bulky waters out after 1 quiver dance as solarbeam can take out most of these without 1 quiver dance.

I wonder how well a physical Politoed would do...

Belly Drum / Waterfall / Earthquake / Payback? Fling? Brick Break...

could be interesting... would catch everyone off-guard.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Politoed's far too slow and frail to pull off anything like that. I imagine Brick Break, boosted by a Fight Gem, Life Orb, or Expert Belt, could be useful to KO Tyranitar, but straight-up sweeping just doesn't work with something that slow, especially with Belly Drum halving its HP.

I wonder how well a physical Politoed would do...

Belly Drum / Waterfall / Earthquake / Payback? Fling? Brick Break...

could be interesting... would catch everyone off-guard.
Anything physical you would try with Politoed Poliwrath will do better. This brings up something that happened to me once. Toed-Wrath combo. Toed set up Drizzle and did Hypnosis then Wrath came in and Subbed, Belly Drummed, Focus Punched/Waterfalled it's way to victory.

I came across quite a weird Blissey yesterday, with Rest / Sleep Talk / Softboiled / Ice Beam...
I guess the thinking is that it can even heal while asleep with Softboiled, but it didn't quite work like that. Didn't appreciate a Superpower either...

I'm not really sure if this is creative but say what you guys think...
LickiLicky @Choice Scarf
Cloud Nine
Naive/Hasty
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 Atk / 252 Speed
-Power Whip
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Focus Blast Muddy Water
This set allows all weather threats switch or die, since this set covers all Ninetales, Politoed, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Abomasnow you see on random matchup.
Muddy Water: for stat drops plus a second SE Atk versus T-tar, Hippo, and Ninetails.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As much as Mismagius would like the extra power to go with the coverage it provides, it's too inaccurate for it to use effectively. It's also illegal with Nasty Plot, so it would be better to just stick with HP Fighting/Ground.

I just spent some time doing Free battles online to try a new Pokémon out and came across some interesting stuff. I was quite surprised how many good battlers were on at this time...

I lost to a guy 0-1 from the West Midlands (UK), can't remember his name, but for some reason he disconnected as he won. His Ambipom used Fling with King's Rock as a psedo-Fake Out for my Chandelure (who I assumed would be safe to get a move off), which messed that turn up for me and gave him the momentum.

Then I found someone with a Gravity team, which I can't say I have encountered much at all. Sableye set up Gravity first turn as his Gengar was able to get highly accurate Hypnosis after Hypnosis. I lost this one too...

Nice to see some more original sets. Interesting to see the normal Landorus come out and use Intimidate too... clearly the Therian form, but it doesn't show on Black & White. This Japanese guy and a couple of others disconnected as I won though, which I didn't really expect/appreciate. Oh well.

Here's an interesting set I battled:
Kangaskhan @ Eject Button
Giga Impact

Here's the gimmick: Giga Impact, and if the opponent survives, and attacks, the Eject Button switches you out so you don't waste a turn. IDK what happens if they get OHKO'd, though.
Much better in Doubles/Triples. After using Giga Impact, have your other pokemon follow up with a friendly-fire spread move the doesn't do a lot of damage for an unexpected switch, thus skipping the recovery turn.

As for Gravity (on Triples only), I find Sashed Starmie to be very valuable. In the case that it isn't hit with attacks that KO it on turn one, it can actually do something back to the opponenet that is worth mentioning (STAB Hydro Pump, Blizzard, Thunder), and it is the fastest Gravity user aside from the Pranksters. But really, in either Doubles, or Triples, what is Sableye going to reliably do after setting up that Gravity?

And WTF? (sorry) NEVER.,.......EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr use a Gengar on a Gravity team. One of Gengar's valuable selling points is it's Ground type immunity. Why would you even consider taking that away from a Poke that is a 110 base speed, and hits as hard as it does as it will run the risk of taking a super effective hit?

No, just...................... *face palm*..........................No.... Please, if you care about your ranking, never do that again.

In Triples, aside from non-STAB Dark Pulse, Gengar doesn't even have any other moves to hit non-adjacent Pokes. If you want
to use Gengar in Triples (although I wouldn't use it in either Doubles, or Triples), don't use it on a Gravity team.

I could see it's viable merits on other teams, however, on a Gravity team....Again, please........NO!!!!.... NO!!!!.... NO!!!!

I came across a CM Cress last night normally mons that setup aren't an issue until I see it Skill Swaping an Exeggutor for Harvest and then Rest + Chesto Berry and it kept doing that until it went to +6. It really caught me off guard and I ended up losing the battle. Metagross was my only physical mon on the team so it swept me bad. xD

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One time in a Single match I got chopped up by an Empoleon I didn't see coming. If I remember correctly:

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Hydro Pump
Agility
Substitute
Filler Move, probably was Ice Beam/Grass Knot, I can't remember.

What I do remember is this thing took out 2 of my Pokemon before I got past it, and it was something I wasn't ready for, especially since at that time the pinch berries were JUST being released in Japan, even.

I came across a CM Cress last night normally mons that setup aren't an issue until I see it Skill Swaping an Exeggutor for Harvest and then Rest + Chesto Berry and it kept doing that until it went to +6. It really caught me off guard and I ended up losing the battle. Metagross was my only physical mon on the team so it swept me bad. xD
Seems to be pretty much another Wolfe team, minus a few alterations.

Well... I'm a fan of Articuno so I created this set the same day Hurricane became available when BW2 came out.

Articuno Item: Life Orb Modest nature 252 Hp 252 Sp.At, 6 Def.
Ice beam.
Hurricane.
Roost.
Agility.

Articuno has a good Sp. Attack stat, and can OHKO Dragonite through Multiscale at full Hp even with investment. It's stab gets it far on it's own, and usually it's flaws are easy to handle. Agility compensates for your investment in Bulk, and can outspeed most unboosted Pokemon and, most notably, Modest Choice scarf Chandelure; Articuno can OHKO it with Hurricane. Articuno's special bulk is excellent, and as a result can take on most special attackers quite well, with few being able to 2HKO without super effective STAB.

Well... I'm a fan of Articuno so I created this set the same day Hurricane became available when BW2 came out.

Articuno Item: Life Orb Modest nature 252 Hp 252 Sp.At, 6 Def.
Ice beam.
Hurricane.
Roost.
Agility.

Articuno has a good Sp. Attack stat, and can OHKO Dragonite through Multiscale at full Hp even with investment. It's stab gets it far on it's own, and usually it's flaws are easy to handle. Agility compensates for your investment in Bulk, and can outspeed most unboosted Pokemon and, most notably, Modest Choice scarf Chandelure; Articuno can OHKO it with Hurricane. Articuno's special bulk is excellent, and as a result can take on most special attackers quite well, with few being able to 2HKO without super effective STAB.
The bad part is, this set requires Rain to function consistently, and Articuno's typing is horrendous, having weaknesses to common types like Electric, Rock, Fire and Steel. Also, setting up isn't exactly a good idea. Maybe try a Choice Scarf?

This set I used in my previous sun rotation team as a check to both rain and special orientated dragons, und it worked out quite nicely.

Gastrodon@Sitrus Berry
calm nature (+ Sp.Def| -Att)
split: 84 HP | 92 Def | 80 Sp.Att | 252 Sp.Def
ability: Stormdrain

• Scald
  • Icebeam
  • Earth Power
  • Recover
Okay the moveslot options are not overly creative, but the split is IMO something that deserves mention. It is build to survive a Gem-Meteor from both Hydreigon and Latios, and instantly move out of the KO-Range from further -2 non Gem-Meteors from them thanks to the berry, without the necessity to predict and recover into this. In addition it is physically bulky enough to take less than 50% from Terra's Stone Edge and Tars Crunch, while being able to OHKO the former with Earth Power after Def Drop and severely dent the latter. The great thing about this set is, that is fit easily into a lot of teams and has a wide coverage of things it is able to check or even counter effectively.

This set I used in my previous sun rotation team as a check to both rain and special orientated dragons, und it worked out quite nicely.

Gastrodon@Sitrus Berry
calm nature (+ Sp.Def| -Att)
split: 84 HP | 92 Def | 80 Sp.Att | 252 Sp.Def
ability: Stormdrain

• Scald
  • Icebeam
  • Earth Power
  • Recover
Okay the moveslot options are not overly creative, but the split is IMO something that deserves mention. It is build to survive a Gem-Meteor from both Hydreigon and Latios, and instantly move out of the KO-Range from further -2 non Gem-Meteors from them thanks to the berry, without the necessity to predict and recover into this. In addition it is physically bulky enough to take less than 50% from Terra's Stone Edge and Tars Crunch, while being able to OHKO the former with Earth Power after Def Drop and severely dent the latter. The great thing about this set is, that is fit easily into a lot of teams and has a wide coverage of things it is able to check or even counter effectively.
I don't exactly think this is a creative moveset, but FANTASTIC job on the EV Spread! It's always hard to calc for bulky mons like Gastro and Cress! Thanks for contributing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)