Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Detective Dell and Eevee General
OP Stolen from the UU thread who stole it from the OU thread (op by ginganinja)

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the UU metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.

Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Vacuum Wave
- Ice Beam
Poliwraths great offensive and defensive typing allows it to become a check to some of the scariest pokemon in the tier, eg sneasel, bouffalant and tauros. This set not only allows it to abuse a Fighting STAB (Circle throw never has enough power and focus punch is way too unreliable) but it also packs a punch. Another great thing about this set is its ability to lure and 2HKO both Tangela and Gourgeist with Ice Beam.

What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
Although i have managed to hype this set a lot, it is still criminally underrated. Fairy is a great typing and with eviolite, Clefairy can set up on a lot of top tier threats. Magic guard gives it the opportunity to set up on defensive pokemon that use status to try and beat other pokemon. Calm mind gives it bulk and lets it set up on special attackers so max defense it used to give it better mixed bulk

If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in PU, for the sake of using it in PU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon. Pokemon such as Beautifly may seem cool, but there is no reason to use it over Butterfree

e: If you post a shitty gimmick, be prepared to be shown a screen shot of the title
e2: also storing my sets here to free space in archive

CroClops
Here is (another) /fun/ wincon for stall:
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse / Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

This set plays the same way as crocune/crobink do; spam calm mind and and restalk against a weak attacker and gg. Seriously, unlike other stall wincons, this thing is a lot harder to break. Heck it sets up on (the broken) tauros:
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 51-60 (17.9 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO
It also sets up on pretty much every defensive pokemon in the game; lickilicky, poliwrath, roselia, non-roar piloswine. And even a lot of offensive ones;
252+ Atk Golem Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 67-81 (23.5 - 28.5%) -- 94.2% chance to 4HKO - lolpls
Dark Pulse and Ice beam are slashed first as unlike Shadow Ball, they dont have immunities, meaning you can set up on stuff like lickilicky and tauros then beat them. This biggest threats to this set are ones which stall try and beats; sneasel and missy. There are other strong attackers than threaten to break it like marowak and rampardos, but once you get them out of the way, its pretty much a sweep. You also have to be careful of set up sweepers like ninetales (a big reason i prefer dark pulse), as it can wina 1 on 1 against it if at high health.
252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Dusclops: 75-88 (26.4 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Strongest spatcker in the tier? You can outspeed it and set it up on the switch (it is a common switch in as they often expect the wisp).

Sub Salac Sawsbuck
Here is a fun set i've been using:
Sawsbuck @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Return

Its main job to to get a sweep late game after checks and counters are dead. It is played like sub salac simipour/swoobat; you go for a sub on something weak/status, which is particularly easy for Sawsbuck, as it baits the will-o-wisp better. You then start spamming swords dance and substitute to get to your salac berry, and from their, if you have played it write and ko'd its counters, you sweep. The IVs let you get the salac berry after 3 subs, which is nice for tanking weak priorities like costa's aqua jet. Adamant can be used, but you will lose to scarf haunter always and scarf rotom-f. The main reason to use it over leafeon is its normal stab, as the main thing leafeon's Knock off beats is gourgeist, which you beat with substitute. The main checks are scarfers; haunter speed ties, and destroys you from full health, whilst you also ohko at +2 with a bit of chip damage, tauros, scyther and raichu also outspeed and revenge kill you. Sneasek/piloswine are also annoying if you dont have a sub. Tangela/metang/klang/avalugg are the only pokes to properly wall you, however the non steels take about half from a +2 return. I originally made this set on a gimmicky team where i paired with choice specs licki which can beat the earlier counters with fire blast.

Zen Headbutt Carracosta
Time for some innovation!
Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Zen Headbutt
Isnt it a shame that carracosta gets walled by the best pokemon in the tier? Well not anymore. Zen Headbutt lets it crush the bulkiest of wrath:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 325-385 (84.6 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
That is restalk which is like its 4th best set, and its hard to keep at full throughout the battle. Now look at subpunch:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Zen Headbutt vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 455-538 (122.6 - 145%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And now their check is gone. Looking at costa's move set, the most expendable move is definitely waterfall, as it is mainly for accuracy, as of the things that resists rock, steel is existent, fighting looses to zen, and ground looses to aqua jet (partially, and who is going into ground types to check costa?). I know what you responce might be, 'why not use hp flying and hit tangela', well thats because firstly, it just doesnt do enough (about 70% to subpunch wrath), and secondly, you cannot use aqua jet, which is what makes costa such a threat to offensive teams, who will often rely on poliwrath to check it. Also hits throh pretty hard i guess.

Scarf Aurorus:
Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Flash Cannon / Sleep Talk
This was a lot better before the drops as it could mess with sub bouff and revenge kill scyther, i still feel it is niche in this meta as a pawniard bait. Scarf aurorus still is pretty slow but it has enough speed to beat base 110, being tauros, jumpluff, and raichu, and baits all of them in. The reason i like this set is that it gives a slow wallbreaker speed to let it screw over pokes trying to revenge kill it (your grass types face when), and it is also a nice way to revenge kill faster sub users (haunter for example), but unfortunately when scarf is revealed its surprise factor goes, however can still be used as a revenge killer. It has amazing coverage with its first moves so in the last slot either use flash cannon to hit pilo, or stealth rock for good utility. Sleep talk can be used but it is a bit risky switching this into grass types
252 SpA Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tauros: 237-279 (81.4 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 190-225 (72.7 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 222-262 (96.1 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 107-126 (46.3 - 54.5%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO
Still decently strong as shown

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bippy's underrated cb relicanth:

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt/Stealth Rock

The nice thing about Relicanth is that it can come in relatively for free on almost every defensive mon and every defogger not named Tropius. Banded head smash also hits stronger than jolly band scyther and adamant Marowak, two of the hardest hitting mons in the tier, but head smash has the perfect typing to hit all the flying defoggers and Avalugg. It's an incredibly underrated mon on Spikestack, as switching it in on Avalugg or a defog from Pelipper almost guarantees a kill. Head smash basically wrecks everything except for Throh and Poliwrath, which is why we have Zen Headbutt, although waterfall gets the 2HKO after spikes anyway. I don't have replays, but I did win two PU tournaments with it (as well as Anty in one of the finals, so he can back me up), and it's done extremely well. And seriously, what unboosted physical attacker easily 2HKO's physically defensive Avalugg (although spdef is better anyway)?

252+ Atk Choice Band Relicanth Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 288-342 (73.2 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 160-190 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 91-108 (23.1 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Relicanth Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 452-534 (139.9 - 165.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 248-294 (76.7 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 142-168 (43.9 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Edit: Speed also makes it faster than Marowak, although max speed is nice to beat all the things speed creeping for Marowak.

Darnell's defensive SubSplit ninetales
Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

I'm sure you've seen this already. Special defensive Ninetales on my Pelipper's Prophecy team. Pain Split to gain back recovery, Flamethrower for an actual reliable attack. Will-O-Wisp to cripple Physical attacks and Substitute when the opponent is switching out; you may just get the chance to cripple the incoming Pokemon without having to take a hit. It can also be used when wearing down Pokemon with the burn which is always nice.

RawMelon's SD Victreebel
Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off / Sludge Bomb

This set really catches people off-guard. Set up a Swords Dance on the switch or as you take a weaker hit and proceed to sweep. Most people don't realize that Bell even learns Sucker Punch so as they bring in Haunter or something fragile to revenge kill Sucker Punch gets the easy kill. Sludge Bomb is nice against threats like Avalugg and Tangela otherwise just run Knock Off or even Subsitute which is a nice option.

Bulk Up vigoroth, bippy
Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Taunt

I stole this from Anty's post in the current CCAT and holy shit, this thing puts in work. Nobody uses it but it easily sets up on a large portion of the tier. Its bulk at +2 defense is really good both physically and specially, and it takes most special hits fairly well. It gets stopped by throh, trick, and that's basically it apart from a few nasty plot users, most of which don't like taking a +1 return anyway (chatot, raichu, etc.) For a replay that shows off how disgusting Vigoroth is, look below. I couldn't help but post this directly after that game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-189133246

Mag's leftovers special poliwrath

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Vacuum Wave
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

This set lures Tangela, Garbodor, Gourgeist, etc while still checking the same things normal poliwrath does. I know other people have used specs poliwrath, but i like lefties better since yoou still 2hko what you need to, have passive recovery, and can switch moves. this doesn't hit all that hard, but it doesn't really matter too much because it's poliwrath. not much else to say about this really, it's a fun lure that isn't that much worse off against what you normally beat.

Fagnemites's subsplit rotom:
this set is definitely not that "creative", but it is pretty underrated honestly, so i might as well post about it here.

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Since Scarf Rotom is so common, Subsplit is very unexpected and can actually capitalize on the fact that most people just assume that every Rotom is scarfed. For example, you can get subs up on things you would normally get outsped by and take a ton of damage from, such as Scyther, Simipour, Serperior, or Swanna, and then be able to hit their switch in with the appropriate move. Since a ton of teams rely on prediction to deal with Scarf Rotom, you can usually easily 2HKO their switch in with the appropriate move as they break your sub. Additionally, it hits surprisingly hard, since again people are used to the lower damage output of Scarf Rotom. Pain Split also lets you get back to a very high amount of HP against bulky mons that would otherwise laugh at you such as Lickilicky, especially since Rotom's HP is so low. This set works very well on Sticky Web teams as it outspeeds faster checks that would try to switch into one of your moves, such as Ninetales, and is usually able to 2HKO them. Overall, this is a very good set that is only made better by its rarity, and I definitely recommend trying it out.

Scorp's Stun Spore Grass types
Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder

Posting these together because they're very similar. Tangela and Roselia often find themselves being taken advantage of by faster mons such as Ninetales, Haunter, Mr. Mime, and Scyther. However, this can be punished by hitting them on the switch with Stun Spore, crippling them for the rest of the match and enabling teammates to deal with them easily. Stun Spore is also very useful to help spread paralysis and Tangela can even do a double-powder thing with Sleep Powder + Stun Spore.

Texas Cloverleaf's Stall Piloswine, Ninetales, and Carracosta
Ninetales @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute

Carracosta @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Protect

Piloswine @Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Roar
- Toxic

Meet stallTales, stallaCosta, and stalloSwine!

Ninetales is your lovely every day Fire counter, switches into Fire attacks for days, sets up a sub, proceeds to Toxic stall everything with its lovely 100 base speed. Flamethrower ensures that Roselia and Metang can't dick around and ruin your fun. No real leeway with item/moveslots there but you can play around with your speed EVs to have more special bulk if you like. Takes advantage of Misdreavus, Leafeon, Ninetales, Roselia to an extent, Scyther, Regice, Tangela, and Gourgeist among others. Requires far more support than normal Ninetales with hazard removal as it won't be sweeping teams like NP Ninetales does.

Carracosta and Piloswine form a lovely answer to physical attacks. Carracosta can use a whole bunch of different move options but for Toxic stall I enjoy the above, Knock Off carries the utility while Stealth Rock frees up a far more valuable moveslot on Piloswine while ProTox is a pain in the ass to deal with. EVs are flexible, I chose a version with special bulk to switch in on Fire Blasts and Ice Beams and what not as Costa's base Sdef is already massive. This is your first switch in to Tauros, Scyther, Lickilicky, Bouffalant, Chatot, Dodrio, Flareon, Purugly, Stoutland, etc; and a secondary switch in to Sneasel and co. Given how much it can abuse physical attackers, consider Rocky Helmet if you have Wish support to keep Costa healthy.

You'll also notice that I love having Protect on defensive Pokemon without natural recovery of their own, very helpful in keeping the team alive.

Finally, utility Piloswine. Earthquake and Ice Shard are mandatory, the former for the coverage and power it gets even uninvested, the latter for taking out Birds and weakened sweepers (i.e. Ursaring) before they do too much damage. Ordinarily Stealth Rock is used on Piloswine but I think that undersells one of Pilos greatest advantages for stall teams in Roar. Piloswine is one of the few that gets Roar, can fit in on a moveslot, and is both bulky and forces switches to rack up hazard damage. Adding Toxic and Roar adds to the fun when Piloswine is so bulky. EVs and moveslot are flexible with your team, you can add more attack and attacks, add Stealth Rock, go specially defensive, etc. I like the physically bulky set as it allows me a secondary Tauros check and switch ins to Barbaracleand Carracosta on top of all the other things it ordinarily checks.

In case anyone was wondering I run the latter two alongside Roselia, Encore Poliwrath, Taunt Misdreavus, and Lickilicky at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this needs more posts ;-;

since i haven't had the balls to innovate gimmicky lures and such stuff yet i'll just go with an underrated mon that is really good:

Mantine @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Offensive Rain Dance Mantine is really good. Water + Flying STAB is actually totally unresisted in PU (except Chinchou I guess). In the rain, Mantine also hits really hard and fast as well. Base 70 Speed in rain means only fast Scarfers like Tauros and the extremely relevant Scarf Zebstrika outrun it. Unresisted STABs + fast Speed means it's really difficult to stop after you set up rain. Grass-types that you would normally use to switch into Water moves happen to get wrecked by Air Slash, too. HP Electric is for other Mantine, but you can run stuff like HP Ice for Altaria I guess. Mantine is also naturally bulky, so it is generally able to tank a hit while setting up Rain Dance. Hazards help a lot as well, eg SR allowing it to 2HKO Roselia, Lickilicky, and Throh all the time. Try it out, whether or not it's on a rain team.

some calcs:

252+ SpA Life Orb Mantine Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky in Rain: 208-246 (49 - 58%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (it's a KO after SR)

252+ SpA Life Orb Mantine Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 143-172 (47 - 56.5%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 73-87 (26.9 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Mantine Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh in Rain: 222-263 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry I can't get a picture, but Showdown is down atm, which is where I normally get them from

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

The nice thing about Relicanth is that it can come in relatively for free on almost every defensive mon and every defogger not named Tropius. Banded head smash also hits stronger than jolly band scyther and adamant Marowak, two of the hardest hitting mons in the tier, but head smash has the perfect typing to hit all the flying defoggers and Avalugg. It's an incredibly underrated mon on Spikestack, as switching it in on Avalugg or a defog from Pelipper almost guarantees a kill. Head smash basically wrecks everything except for Throh and Poliwrath, which is why we have Zen Headbutt, although waterfall gets the 2HKO after spikes anyway. I don't have replays, but I did win two PU tournaments with it (as well as Anty in one of the finals, so he can back me up), and it's done extremely well. And seriously, what unboosted physical attacker easily 2HKO's physically defensive Avalugg (although spdef is better anyway)?

252+ Atk Choice Band Relicanth Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 288-342 (73.2 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 160-190 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 91-108 (23.1 - 27.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Relicanth Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 452-534 (139.9 - 165.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 248-294 (76.7 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 142-168 (43.9 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Edit: Speed also makes it faster than Marowak, although max speed is nice to beat all the things speed creeping for Marowak.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
this needs more posts ;-;

since i haven't had the balls to innovate gimmicky lures and such stuff yet i'll just go with an underrated mon that is really good:

Mantine @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Offensive Rain Dance Mantine is really good. Water + Flying STAB is actually totally unresisted in PU (except Chinchou I guess). In the rain, Mantine also hits really hard and fast as well. Base 70 Speed in rain means only fast Scarfers like Tauros and the extremely relevant Scarf Zebstrika outrun it. Unresisted STABs + fast Speed means it's really difficult to stop after you set up rain. Grass-types that you would normally use to switch into Water moves happen to get wrecked by Air Slash, too. HP Electric is for other Mantine, but you can run stuff like HP Ice for Altaria I guess. Mantine is also naturally bulky, so it is generally able to tank a hit while setting up Rain Dance. Hazards help a lot as well, eg SR allowing it to 2HKO Roselia, Lickilicky, and Throh all the time. Try it out, whether or not it's on a rain team.

some calcs:

252+ SpA Life Orb Mantine Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky in Rain: 208-246 (49 - 58%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (it's a KO after SR)

252+ SpA Life Orb Mantine Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 143-172 (47 - 56.5%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 73-87 (26.9 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Mantine Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh in Rain: 222-263 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
This is a very good set rn, it has a firm niche in ss sweeper due to its secondary STAB. I believe there us a good sample team with this set on (which i recommend people use), showing how it can be used not on a full rain team.

Sorry I can't get a picture, but Showdown is down atm, which is where I normally get them from

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Relicanth is an underrated pokemon as a whole and this is its best set. It has the sheer power to 2hko most resists and good natural physical bulk so can be soft checks to things like sneasel. I have used this on trick room teams and it always puts in work. People need to learn not to use AV canth "/

btw, If anyone need sprites, here is a good website (s/o to meontseguer): http://pldh.net/dex/sprites

Last edited:
I can't take the credit for thinking up of this set, but I use it a lot. Choice Scarf Scyther. Even though Scyther is overrated, I have never seen anyone use this set (bar TONE).

(how do you upload pictures from your desktop?)

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

This set works great. Capable to outspeed any non-Choice Scrafed pokemon, the only thing that can outspeed it is a choice scarf from a pokemon like Emolga or Electrode.
This is a great lead with U-turn. It's speed makes it a great revenge killer, and it can do chip damage to a big threat by switching out with U-Turn. Bug Bite is used if Scyther is the last pokemon left, because it does more damage than U-Turn with Technician. If Scyther is not the last pokemon, it is preferable to use U-Turn. Aerial Ace is a nice STAB Technician boosted flying type move that has great coverage with U-Turn/Bug Bite. The last move I am not sure about. Because all you really need is the first 3 moves, the 4th is just a filler. Quick Attack is very situational, but because of its Technician boost, It can kill some priority spammers.

I will give evidence when I have time.

Last edited:

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk /4 Def /252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Endure/Will O Wisp
- Knock Off/Baton Pass
- Destiny Bond/Baton Pass

Physically offensive Drifblim is pretty cool, it's probably one of the best rip off Acro Drifblim. It can be used effectively as a Late/Mid Game sweepr
As you probably guessed, Acrobatics is your daily spammable move, hitting hard everything that doesn't resist it.
Endure helps Drifblim, in order to be sure to set up, while Will O Wisp can cripple and helps you a bit.
Knock Off is a good coverage utility move, and Baton Pass is pretty cool to give to a team mate enough strength to beat what you can't beat.
Destiny Bond, with Unburden, allows you to beat any non priority threat that you can't get past.

The problem is that setting up can be extremely tough, for a result that often isn't that worth it if Priorities aren't out, you may even want to run a Bulkier EV Spread in order to still burn slow threats, while having better bulk.
Lickilicky for example, can be a friend & a set killer, it oftens runs a pretty weak Knock Off that just boosts you while having still enough HP to resist maybe one normal priority. On the other side w/out Hazards, you won't be able to kill it, and Dragon Tail will own you.

Overall, this creative Drifblim can be a very interesting sweeper, but like most offensive Drifblims, setting up is incredibly tough, a lot of cleaning is required, and even Hazards are needed.

Last edited:

Tangela @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP /252 Spa /4 Def
Modest Nature
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power [Ice]/-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Knock Off
-Synthesis

Let's starting with the "if it has Knock Off why it is modest?", keep in mind that knock off is just to take eviolite or band, it isn't to cause damage.
Why modest, not bold with 252 def? The answer is pretty simple
Tangela @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
-Giga Drain
-Knock Off
-Synthesis

Let's starting with the "if it has Knock Off why it is modest?", keep in mind that knock off is just to take eviolite or band, it isn't to cause damage.
Why modest, not bold with 252 def? The answer is pretty simple, with eviolite it defense will be 350 rounding up, and the 252 Spa+ Giga Drain will make it gain a great HP back.
And finally, the regenerator is a great idea to when it front a special attacker, just by putting a special wall in this place.
It problem is a Bouffalant with sap sipper, than can easily kill it.

If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in PU, for the sake of using it in PU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon. Pokemon such as Beautifly may seem cool, but there is no reason to use it over Butterfree
For someone new here, do you just suggest sticking to standard sets, or is there somewhere I can post my shitty gimmicks to find out whether they actually qualify as creative?

Anty

let's drop
For someone new here, do you just suggest sticking to standard sets, or is there somewhere I can post my shitty gimmicks to find out whether they actually qualify as creative?
Sticking to standard sets will always be effective, but sometimes creative sets allow a pokemon to get past usual checks, eg ice beam poliwrath, or can just patch up a whole in the team. For your sets, asking ranked players in the room is a reliable way to find out, or you can pm/vm me. Welcome to smogon.

I do stuff to the sets/op later in the day

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it's worth mentioning sucker punch on Drifblim's moveset as it's basically the fastest priority in PU after the unburden boost.

Anty

let's drop
Thanks for the responces
I can't take the credit for thinking up of this set, but I use it a lot. Choice Scarf Scyther. Even though Scyther is overrated, I have never seen anyone use this set (bar TONE).

(how do you upload pictures from your desktop?)

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

This set works great. Capable to outspeed any non-Choice Scrafed pokemon, the only thing that can outspeed it is a choice scarf from a pokemon like Emolga or Electrode.
This is a great lead with U-turn. It's speed makes it a great revenge killer, and it can do chip damage to a big threat by switching out with U-Turn. Bug Bite is used if Scyther is the last pokemon left, because it does more damage than U-Turn with Technician. If Scyther is not the last pokemon, it is preferable to use U-Turn. Aerial Ace is a nice STAB Technician boosted flying type move that has great coverage with U-Turn/Bug Bite. The last move I am not sure about. Because all you really need is the first 3 moves, the 4th is just a filler. Quick Attack is very situational, but because of its Technician boost, It can kill some priority spammers.

I will give evidence when I have time.
Im actually a big fan on scarf scyther, especcially in this meta when it can revenge kill lopunny and beedrill. The one thing i would change about that set is that knock off should be slashed with quick attack, as it allows scyther to revenge kill missy and punish piloswine/klanga/whatever switchins.

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk /4 Def /252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Endure/Will O Wisp
- Knock Off/Baton Pass
- Destiny Bond/Baton Pass

Physically offensive Drifblim is pretty cool, it's probably one of the best rip off Acro Drifblim. It can be used effectively as a Late/Mid Game sweepr
As you probably guessed, Acrobatics is your daily spammable move, hitting hard everything that doesn't resist it.
Endure helps Drifblim, in order to be sure to set up, while Will O Wisp can cripple and helps you a bit.
Knock Off is a good coverage utility move, and Baton Pass is pretty cool to give to a team mate enough strength to beat what you can't beat.
Destiny Bond, with Unburden, allows you to beat any non priority threat that you can't get past
Sorry if this sounds ruse, Im not entirely convinced with this set. Not only are the slashes somewhat confusing, but i wouldnt think about using this set without endure, as you arent taking se hits well, and its not hard to revenge kill considering how it is weak to three priorities and stealth rocks. After using this, it feels inferior to a petya/sitrus berry set, which sets up on its own, whilst this is 100% reliant on a. the opponent having a weak se attack (which most offensive teams lack, and that is the kind of team you can sweep), and b. the opponent not predicting itto be wp pass (all you see on the ladder). This is just problems with my experience, can you add how to use (what moves to take) or even some replays, and ill try re-using it.

Tangela @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
-Giga Drain
-Knock Off
-Synthesis

Why modest, not bold with 252 def? The answer is pretty simple
Tangela @ Eviolite
Modest Nature
-Giga Drain
-Knock Off
-Synthesis

Why modest, not bold with 252 def? The answer is pretty simple, with eviolite it defense will be 350 rounding up, and the 252 Spa+ Giga Drain will make it gain a great HP back.
And finally, the regenerator is a great idea to when it front a special attacker, just by putting a special wall in this place.
It problem is a Bouffalant with sap sipper, than can easily kill it.
Sorry, but im not going to include this as it is just an inferior version of the offensive set, as firstly with regenerator you dont need sleep powder, and secondly knock off seems a poor choice on an offensive, special attacking mon, as there isnt a need to have it. Sleep powder and leaf storm are two better choices, which allow it to punish switchins harder.

I think it's worth mentioning sucker punch on Drifblim's moveset as it's basically the fastest priority in PU after the unburden boost.
Gotta go fast

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi Anty. You wanted me to post, right? :o

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

I'm sure you've seen this already. Special defensive Ninetales on my Pelipper's Prophecy team. Pain Split to gain back recovery, Flamethrower for an actual reliable attack. Will-O-Wisp to cripple Physical attacks and Substitute when the opponent is switching out; you may just get the chance to cripple the incoming Pokemon without having to take a hit. It can also be used when wearing down Pokemon with the burn which is always nice.

Who Needs the Sun?

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

This set really catches people off-guard. Set up a Swords Dance on the switch or as you take a weaker hit and proceed to sweep. Most people don't realize that Bell even learns Sucker Punch so as they bring in Haunter or something fragile to revenge kill Sucker Punch gets the easy kill. Sludge Bomb is nice against threats like Avalugg and Tangela otherwise just run Knock Off or even Subsitute which is a nice option.

Who Needs the Sun?

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Considering Victreebel's okay speed, i'd rather use a +Spe Nature with Sleep Powder, in order to set up more easily.

Anty

let's drop
Shit just realised i havent updated e.e
I'm not sure if this would work; but the below set has done pretty well for me:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Rash Nature
-Substitute
-Roost
-Echoed Voice
-Earthquake
Tbh i doubt that set would be any better than hyper voice which is more reliable, and (only now) tarianite is banned

Hi Anty. You wanted me to post, right? :o

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

That is cool and ive seen it do well, will add to op

Who Needs the Sun?

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Adamant / Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

Ive tried this out a bit and it works quite well. I dont thing S bomb is needed as Knock off criples tangela enough, sludge bomb still doesnt do too much to avalugg and you want all the bulk you need.

I thought this set was decent enough, but it may just be a shitty gimmick. I dunno, all I know is that it can sweep like a boss.

Kabutops @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Night Slash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
Kabutops is in RU, this is a PU thread....

I might double post later with my innovations *-*

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Meganium @ Rocky Helmet or Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature or Bold Nature if using Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Toxic/Aromatherapy/Leaf Storm
- Counter
- Dragon Tail

Went out of the norm here with this Meganium set. Normally when you see a Meganium in battles, you would normally assume its a dual screen or subseed set with max hp, max sp. def, and calm nature. However physically defensive Meganium is no slouch either. Was looking to try out a physical wall not named Poliwrath to deal with Barbaracle, Carracosta, etc and it led me to give Meganium a shot. While Meganium isn't the first thing that comes to mind regarding being a physical wall, this set does do some of the similiar things that RestTalk Poliwrath can. It phazes out opponents with Dragon Tail, spreads status with Toxic, but unlike Poliwrath which has no reliable recovery outside of Rest, Meganium has Synthesis to instantly recover any lost HP while taking hits and punishing physicals attackers with Rocky Helmet. The only real downside to this set is the fact that for one, don't switch it in on an incoming attack as Sneasel and Scyther still 2HKO with Icicle Crash and Aerial Ace respectively. I'll post some calcs 2 show how bulky it is and then retaliate with Counter.

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meganium: 238-280 (65.3 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meganium: 211-250 (57.9 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meganium: 276-326 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meganium: 149-177 (40.9 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meganium: 177-208 (48.6 - 57.1%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meganium: 284-336 (78 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

this set is funny:

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Vacuum Wave
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

This set lures Tangela, Garbodor, Gourgeist, etc while still checking the same things normal poliwrath does. I know other people have used specs poliwrath, but i like lefties better since yoou still 2hko what you need to, have passive recovery, and can switch moves. this doesn't hit all that hard, but it doesn't really matter too much because it's poliwrath. not much else to say about this really, it's a fun lure that isn't that much worse off against what you normally beat.

Mega Super Hyper Ultra Offensive Regice

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
-Rock Polish
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Explosion

This has worked surprisingly well.

MZ

Mega Super Hyper Ultra Offensive Regice

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
-Rock Polish
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Explosion

This has worked surprisingly well.
And we should use explosion over focus blast why? The set needs some sort of derscription to justify its use, and considering focus blast hits harder and gives perfect coverage, it's hard to justify explosion.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I don't see the purpose of Explosion either on Regice, especially since you're going through the trouble of making Regice into a sweeper with Rock Polish plus Explosion won't be doing any major damage considering Regice has the same base Attack as Carbink who has a purpose of exploding as a suicide lead.

Life Orb already limits Regice's sweeping capability, and I despise Focus Blast's shoddy accuracy. It's always missed at the worst times for me, as such, I use Explosion. I do see the merits of Focus Blast, however, so I'll try it next time I battle.

MZ

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Taunt

I stole this from Anty's post in the current CCAT and holy shit, this thing puts in work. Nobody uses it but it easily sets up on a large portion of the tier. Its bulk at +2 defense is really good both physically and specially, and it takes most special hits fairly well. It gets stopped by throh, trick, and that's basically it apart from a few nasty plot users, most of which don't like taking a +1 return anyway (chatot, raichu, etc.) For a replay that shows off how disgusting Vigoroth is, look below. I couldn't help but post this directly after that game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-189133246

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)