Creative / Underrated Sets in the UU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I suck at making OPs, but here's the guidelines courtesy of ginganinja in OU:
Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the UU metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
Multiple replays are now required for new and creative sets.

What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
If you post a shitty gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in UU, for the sake of using it in UU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • This is an UU thread. Don't post some Lugia set.
A shitty gimmick is not limited to the above, though. To quote Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

Do not post really bad sets such as Choice Band Quagsire - they aren't funny or good.

But yeah, just read the post from ginganinja and post your cool (good) movesets:]!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this seems the right place to throw in a set I've been using with good results, maybe because I'm a newb and get matched with other newbs that don't know how to counter it, but it's a build I came to by myself, and ended up being pretty close to a couple of Smogon's suggestions, but with slight changes that completely modify it's function.

Fire at will, all criticism is welcome. If it's a flawed set I'd love to know why.

AmbiFlinch / Counterlead / Momentum freezer (Ambipom) @ Razor Fang/King's Rock
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
-U-Turn / Low kick
-Double Hit
-Fake Out
-Beat Up

The idea behind this set is to have a very fast, decently strong physical attacker.
Starting with Fake Out to make the opponent think of a more standard build, and then keep on harassing with Beat Up, that with full team and Razor fang, has roughly a 47% chance to flinch. Paired with this are a 105 base damage STAB with 19% chance to flinch in Double hit and either Low kick for brute force and coverage or U-Turn for a quick last hit before switching.
In UU, there's absolutely no other flincher that can match either his speed or damage, with the only advantage over him in the fact that he can't ParaFlinch and a slight 13% increased chance, that in my opinion, is overshadowed by the fact that Ambipom will outspeed any non-scarfed opponent, thus giving him the chance to flinch in the first place.

As for it's prefered teammates, good base attack would greatly benefit it's main weapon (beat up) but it's not required. Until now I've tested him on a purely offensive team with diverse strategies that manipulate the pace of the battle. A good defensive pokemon to switch in is highly reccomended, as are revenge killers to support the unpredictable agressiveness.

EDIT: I'll try to get some replays later today, but most of the times it performs well the enemy forfeits, so you can't get the full game perspective.

First game since I posted this... I lost and noob-screwed up a few times, but Ambipom shined.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-155317786

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-155332024

Last edited:
Ambipom is a terrible Pokemon
It might... I'm a newbie to PvP and virtualy everything post gen III, so please expand.

Cinccino Tail Slap does more than Beat Up (STAB), and it is independent of your number of Pokes. Also, Cinccino has more coverage and identical speed.
I thought about it, but beat up has no immune matchups, an extra hit (that with king's rock becomes an extra 5% flinch chance), better accuracy and it doesn't make contact. As far as coverage goes, considering an average of 90 base attack, Technician Beat up has a slight damage advantage over other skill linked multi hit moves.
Anyway, this isn't so much about the raw damage, but the chance to force in the biggest threats on the enemy team and weaken them.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This thread needs more posts. o3o

Zoroark @ Black Glasses
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Extrasensory

The three dark attacks might seem weird, but they all have their uses. Like all Zoroark sets, this set is as good as its teammates, so make sure to have teammates that benefit from the support and doubt it brings. And keep hazards off the field, because they ruin Illusion.

Pursuit is to remove things like specially defensive Celebi, Slowbro at low health, low health Victini's and other stuff weak to dark that your team might like to have gone.
Dark Pulse is the obvious main STAB.
Sucker Punch is useful to defeat fast threats like Alakazam with its sash broken, along with helping to impersonate Croagunk.
Extrasensory is simple coverage.

I've been using this to bait Hawlucha checks and counters like Doublade and Slowbro, and open the way for Hawlucha to sweep. Hawlucha is almost certainly going back to BL, but that's just an example. :)

This thread needs more posts. o3o

Zoroark @ Black Glasses
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Extrasensory

The three dark attacks might seem weird, but they all have their uses. Like all Zoroark sets, this set is as good as its teammates, so make sure to have teammates that benefit from the support and doubt it brings. And keep hazards off the field, because they ruin Illusion.

Pursuit is to remove things like specially defensive Celebi, Slowbro at low health, low health Victini's and other stuff weak to dark that your team might like to have gone.
Dark Pulse is the obvious main STAB.
Sucker Punch is useful to defeat fast threats like Alakazam with its sash broken, along with helping to impersonate Croagunk.
Extrasensory is simple coverage.

I've been using this to bait Hawlucha checks and counters like Doublade and Slowbro, and open the way for Hawlucha to sweep. Hawlucha is almost certainly going back to BL, but that's just an example. :)
I get what you're going for here, but Pursuit seems useless. It's so situational, you'd almost always be better getting the drop on something coming in, or doubling to a predicted switch. Especially at 0 atk evs, it's doing at most sub-50% to a switching Slowbro. And while that might not be terribly unlikely considering the switch for regenerator, to me it feels far too situational to waste a spot on. Go with Knock Off, I guess.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like the concept of this thread, but we gotta elevate the game a lil bit. This set I'm about to post, it wasn't able to make the official analysis for whatever reason, though it got a mention in its Other Options. I'm not sure if it truly qualifies, but I choose to believe it does count as at least an underrated moveset:

Tornadus (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower / Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Rest

Bulky ChestoRest Bulk Up Tornadus-I. I forgot by this point what the bulk was for, I think it was to avoid the 2HKO from Alakazam's Psyshock at +1, but I'm not totally sure. Either way the bulk helps a bit while setting up, it's pretty straightforward. It can be tricky to be in the right situation to set up with since you HAVE to use Rest to consume Chesto Berry before attempting to sweep, but it isn't hard to sponge a few blows while setting up, thus allowing you to Rest immediately after. Prankster lets you have priority Bulk Up + Rest, which is vital because some things will otherwise outspeed, despite Tornadus' unreal base 111 Speed.

It's most effective late game as it can also double as an effective cleaner with a few boosts. Superpower can beat down Steel/Rock-types though Knock Off is also cool for being able to hit hard while preserving all of your boosts, and being able to remove Slowbro easily. The real kicker to this set is it's able to set up on defensive Pokemon that either can't 2HKO or rely on inflicting status to hinder it, such as Slowbro, Mew, Blissey, etc. You can literally proceed to spam Bulk Up while they go for Toxic, Scald, Will-O-Wisp, whatever in futility, only for you to use Rest and clean them up afterward. Not only this but priority users such as Arcanine, Entei, Lucario, Honchkrow, and Toxicroak aren't able to even reliably revenge kill Tornadus once it's gotten a few boosts in, making it that much harder to deal with once it gets going. Of course you're gonna want stuff like Mega Aerodactyl, most Steel-types, and most Electric-types at least removed if not weakened, and strong Choice Scarf users like Darmanitan can still 2HKO you even at +2 (I found this out the hard way) so you gotta be wary in executing it. But overall it's a pretty fun mon to use, like a slower, more passive Hawlucha in some respects. Minus the whole "broken" and "deudly Fighting-type STAB" part.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-155760507

Many games as I've had using this I never bothered to save replays, so if I ever get more I'll edit them into this post. But this'll do for now. My opponent, I don't think he was super great of a player, and I made some dumb plays myself (Do not ask me why I didn't go to Florges on an Outraging Haxorus), but the execution went perfectly

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-156333303

More of the same thing, you just gotta believe in it

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-157420175

Another example, it's relatively safer to set up a bit earlier against slower teams, though be wary of the occasional unexpected Scarfer. Also apparently Slowbro takes +3 Knock Off after Rocks...Good to know!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-157745778

Tornadus wasn't even the MVP of this battle but he still does his thing endgame. Wasn't really a super hype battle but the desired result was achieved

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-157885174

Greed pays off sometimes, this time Tornadus was DA REAL MVP

Last edited:
O.K. so I started using this set about a week ago and it has been VERY effective! I've always wanted to use machamp but his speed has always kept me at bay. Mostly out of fear that he would be knocked out before the opportunity to unleash his attack stat would present itself. So I decided to fix the issue.

Machamp

Jolly
Choice Scarf
252Atk/4HP/252Spe
No Guard
-Dynamic Punch
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab
-Stone Edge

With full speed investment, and a scarf, machamp is able to hit first, and hit hard! EQ/Edge combo gives machamp great coverage, with no guard making sure stone edge hits at key moments. Poison Jab is there to take care of any grass/fairy types. Dynamic Punch is the ideal STAB option for no guard machamp, and it can keep Machamp around for key rounds by harassing the opposing pokemon with confusion.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Here's one that I've been experimenting with lately

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature

- Synthesis
- Wood Hammer
- Spikes
- Roar

Nobody happened to notice that Chesnaught has stats similar to Hippowdon, where it can pull off a decent mixed set. Careful Chesnaught plays similar to Roserade, where it lays down Spikes and abuses Grass's good resistances on the special side. However, Chesnaught still has good physical bulk to take Earthquakes like a champ, and really can take anything but strong Fire-, Fighting-, and especially Flying-type attacks, so still it's a hell of a lot different than Roserade. It also gets phazing to stop Suicune and Snorlax from setting up, while also racking up Spikes damage on switch-ins. This set can use the omnipresent bulky Water-types as set up while walling Mega Ampharos, LO Hydreigon without Fire Blast (which is becoming more common), and thanks to its ability, even Mega Blastoise. Some calcs below

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 231-274 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 159-187 (41.8 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 136-160 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- 90.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just something that has gotten a lot better with the departure of Slowbro, Mew, and Hera. Pair it with either Mega Aero or Rhyperior, as Rock-types help alleviate the Crobat weakness and can check Fire-types in a pinch

View attachment 26194

One Furious Rodent @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave / Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- V-Create
- Thunderbolt
- Glaciate / Focus Blast

Trick Room Mixtini. I combined Victini's unpredictability and strength to steamroll through offensive teams like toilet paper. (on my phone, I'll be updating descriptions later)

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 26194

One Furious Rodent @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave / Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- V-Create
- Thunderbolt
- Glaciate / Focus Blast

Trick Room Mixtini. I combined Victini's unpredictability and strength to steamroll through offensive teams like toilet paper. (on my phone, I'll be updating descriptions later)
I think Pleasure Kitten's set kinda has the upper hand on this one...

^ wp tr tini when given the right circumstance can steamroll through all teams, not specifically having to rely on being slower than every member on an offensive teams. just purely offensive with no tanks of any sort are becoming more rare nowadays, anyway.

I think Pleasure Kitten's set kinda has the upper hand on this one...
Oooooh, forgive my lack of creativity on this one.

^ wp tr tini when given the right circumstance can steamroll through all teams, not specifically having to rely on being slower than every member on an offensive teams. just purely offensive with no tanks of any sort are becoming more rare nowadays, anyway.
Victini is usually run with wall/stallbreakers so I guess it doesn't work on offense only.

I'd probably say Energy Ball > ThunderBolt on Mixed tini. It hits those Water/Ground types like Swampert and Rock types like Rhyperior much better and has the same power.

Here's one that I've been experimenting with lately

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature

- Synthesis
- Wood Hammer
- Spikes
- Roar

Nobody happened to notice that Chesnaught has stats similar to Hippowdon, where it can pull off a decent mixed set. Careful Chesnaught plays similar to Roserade, where it lays down Spikes and abuses Grass's good resistances on the special side. However, Chesnaught still has good physical bulk to take Earthquakes like a champ, and really can take anything but strong Fire-, Fighting-, and especially Flying-type attacks, so still it's a hell of a lot different than Roserade. It also gets phazing to stop Suicune and Snorlax from setting up, while also racking up Spikes damage on switch-ins. This set can use the omnipresent bulky Water-types as set up while walling Mega Ampharos, LO Hydreigon without Fire Blast (which is becoming more common), and thanks to its ability, even Mega Blastoise. Some calcs below

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 231-274 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 159-187 (41.8 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 136-160 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- 90.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just something that has gotten a lot better with the departure of Slowbro, Mew, and Hera. Pair it with either Mega Aero or Rhyperior, as Rock-types help alleviate the Crobat weakness and can check Fire-types in a pinch
Glad to see someone else with the same idea so I know I'm not going mad. Stone Edge is a really good option to hit common switch ins hard (Crobat, Victini, Volcarona etc).

My suggestion is this; lead Infernape

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast

This old set is still very effective as a lead. Notably, it KOs Custap Berry Forretress without giving it opportunity to do anything at all, Fake Out breaks Sturdy without going into Custap range allowing Fire Blast to KO on the spot. Even faster leads like Azelf don't harm Infernape too much, it forces a 50-50 mind game; does it Taunt to stop Stealth Rock but let Infernape KO with Focus Sash intact, does it break Focus Sash but let Infernape set up Stealth Rock. Unfortunately, Froslass and Sableye fare well against Infernape, being immune to Fake Out and packing a faster Taunt.

My suggestion is this; lead Infernape

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast

This old set is still very effective as a lead. Notably, it KOs Custap Berry Forretress without giving it opportunity to do anything at all, Fake Out breaks Sturdy without going into Custap range allowing Fire Blast to KO on the spot. Even faster leads like Azelf don't harm Infernape too much, it forces a 50-50 mind game; does it Taunt to stop Stealth Rock but let Infernape KO with Focus Sash intact, does it break Focus Sash but let Infernape set up Stealth Rock. Unfortunately, Froslass and Sableye fare well against Infernape, being immune to Fake Out and packing a faster Taunt.
I've used lead Infernape quite a bit, and the following is actually the set that I've found to be most useful:

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze/Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Flare Blitz/Mach Punch

Its speed allows it to get up rocks almost all of the time. Taunt's use is fairly obvious; however it gets outsped by most common offensive Taunt leads such as Froslass, Azelf, and Aerodactyl, while the best it can do against Galvantula is hope to win a speed tie. So there's nothing it can do to stop these Pokemon from getting their hazards up/Taunt Infernape first. Endeavor is extremely useful against people who fear an offensive set and switch into things like Suicune and Alomomola, as then you can Taunt and prevent them from setting up Calm Minds and Wishes, and use Endeavor after they use Scald.

Flare Blitz, while seemingly an odd choice on a Sash lead set, can occasionally spinblock like Donphan and Blastoise and ensure your rocks stay on the field if you play right, and Mach Punch can be used in conjunction with Endeavor to pick off a Pokemon that you've brought down to 1HP. You can also use Fire Blast or really any other filler move in the last slot based on your preference.

Here's a old-ish replay of lead Ape setting up a win from turn 1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-153822559

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Outrage
- Dragon Pulse / Iron Head

People typically forget Kyurem's base 130 Attack, or they see Ice Beam followed by Life Orb recoil and just assume it's purely special. That's when you can bop the Blissey, Umbreon, or Snorlax switch-in with Outrage for upwards of 50%. If you run Iron Head and they bring in Florges? Well, they're gonna feel it in the morning. Ice Beam is your all-purpose nuke, Earth Power crushes every Steel-type in the tier (because who the fuck uses Bronzong?), and Outrage dumps on Special walls not named Florges. Dragon Pulse gives you extra neutral coverage and is your best attack versus bulky waters, while Iron Head crushes Florges and SpDef Aromatisse. Pick whichever you need.

Maximum special attack backed by a boosting nature makes Ice Beam hit freakishly hard. I run 216 and Mild to preserve Kyurem's excellent special bulk and excellent resistances while outspeeding Adamant Lucario and getting an easy OHKO with Earth Power. Attack EVs can be dropped to 4 or zero so you can be faster or bulkier, but I like the extra damage. I find it helps most against Pokemon that like to spam Protect for Leftover turns.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've got a few sets to share

Alomomola @ Rocky Helmet/Leftover
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 156 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

This is an alomomola that is designed to beat scarf hydreigon and deal with other spec att threats + physical threats. Some calcs for you fine people will show that even strong attackers will have a hard time breaking through this wall. This, in conjunction with wish/protect + knock off/toxic makes this a really strong utility mon. This set helped me get B-rank in the Dark Horse Project, where I faced many, many hydreigon. Try it out for your team if you need that extra push for semi-stall.

252+ SpA Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 232 HP / 120 SpD Alomomola: 211-249 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 232 HP / 120 SpD Alomomola: 343-405 (64.8 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This alomomola can still take physical hits pretty well too :o

252+ Atk Life Orb Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. 232 HP / 156+ Def Alomomola: 214-253 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Some replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-164827262

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Hammer Arm
- Leech Seed

Partners up with Empoleon/above alomomola very, very well. Slight investment in spec D let's it survive a draco meteor from scarfhydreigon. Combine the two aformentioned pokemon with an aromatisse and you have yourself a core. Keep in mind that pokes will try to take advantage of spiky shield, which is why this set uses hammer arm instead of wood hammer/seed bomb. Pokemon like Lucario do not like to set up, but be careful of them, cause you will not survive a +3 close combat.

This set isn't totally revolutionary, but it's been tweaked and used to the point where its usage earns merit.

Some replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-164837973
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-164827262

Here's a set that I've wanted to try for a while and finally got around to:

Goodra @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Dragon Tail/Iron Tail

Sporting a decent 100 base Attack, Goodra hits surprisingly hard with a Choice Band and Adamant Nature. So why use this Pokemon over something like Choice Banded Flygon, whose dual STAB provides perfect coverage, or Haxorus, whose monstrous Attack pales Goodra's in comparison?

The main reason is surprise factor: when facing a defensive team, your opponent is highly likely to switch into their own physically defensive wall when a Flygon or Haxorus comes out onto the field. However, most people would switch in Pokemon like Blissey, Umbreon, and other specially defensive walls against a Goodra, who is normally used with specially based moves. These specially defensive walls are then met with a Choice Banded STAB base 120 move and are all 2HKO'd (see below for calcs).

In addition, Goodra provides for a much bulkier Dragon than the previously mentioned ones and has an easy time switching in against many special attacking Pokemon. In fact, Goodra can even live a Draco Meteor from a Choice Scarf Hydreigon from full HP without fully investing in HP or packing an Assault Vest. Goodra also has an amazing ability in Sap Sipper, and if it manages to get to +1, there are 0 Pokemon that can switch in (okay Bronzong and Togetic).

Outrage and Earthquake are obvious. Power Whip is also obvious, OHKO- or 2HKO-ing every bulky water in the tier, though most are 2HKOd by Outrage anyway. The last slot is almost never used, Iron Tail hits fairies but the only relevant one is Florges who is usually 2HKOd by Earthquake anyway, and Dragon Tail can be useful for racking up some hazard damage in case Goodra catches an unfortunate burn. The Speed EVs outspeed uninvested base 85s and lower, namely Suicune.

It should be noted that Banded Goodra has incredible synergy with Mega Blastoise. Goodra can switch in against the Roserades, Shaymins, and Raikous that Blastoise hates, and can often gain a +1 boost from Sap Sipper if the opponent isn't careful. Goodra can then proceed to decimate any switchin. In return, Mega Blastoise benefits heavily from Goodra luring and killing Pokemon like Blissey, Umbreon, and Porygon2, leaving room for Blastoise to put huge dents in the rest of the opponent's team. Banded Goodra also benefited massively from Togekiss leaving the tier.

Basically Banded Goodra can lure and kill a lot of checks to other Pokemon on your team, as is seen in some of the replays below.

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 487-574 (68.2 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 246-291 (62.4 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 195-231 (52.1 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 153-181 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 300-354 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon: 332-392 (89.2 - 105.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 236-278 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Goodra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 253-298 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Here is one which I have been playing around with for quite a while which has had quite positive results:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Curse
- Recover

Curse Gastrodon (and Gastrodon in general) is very underrated and underplayed in the current meta, walling and beating quite a few prominent UU threats with its mixed defences, great typing and great water-immunity. Firstly, it hard counters the typical CroCune set, setting up Curses with no threat whatsoever from Scalds thanks to Storm Drain. But that much is obvious. This Gastro set is also specially EV'd to be able to tank Dragon Pulses from Max SpAtk M-Ampharos. This allows it to reliably switch in to M-Amph and stop its momentum through Volt Switch, being able to Recover off the damage and even potentially setup on it, or just smack it with EQ. This means that anything with less Special Attacking power (most of the tier) can be effectively walled by Gastro (as long as they aren't grass-type). On the other end of the spectrum it can also pull its wait, serving as a reasonably good Fire-type check since Victini leaving the tier, only being 3HKOed by Jolly LO Darm (though there is a 25% chance to be 2HKOed after SR) and walling other prominent threats such as M-Aerodactyl.
Earthquake and Curse is what you use to sweep and hit most of the tier. Recover is for obvious recovery. Though the 2nd slot, Scald, may seem to be weird on a Curse set, but is generally the most effective as it 1) continues damage output if burned 2) burns itself adding extra utility for when it cannot setup 3) hinders the flying-types in the tier better than other options (namely Crobat and M-Aero) AND 4) can abuse Storm Drain boosts a little, and so proved to be optimal over other options that were tried.
Now with every pokemon comes its weaknesses, and Gastrodon has 2 major ones that you need to look out for. 1) is its weakness to Grass-types, and its ability to not be able to hit it back, generally getting OHKOed by most STAB grass-type moves; and 2) is status, but mainly Toxic, which pretty much ruins its chances of sweeping until you heal it, but Burn is also hindering. These 2 things will need to be removed before attempting a sweep and will need to be played around, though ultimately, grass-types aren't overly common and Toxic can be easily played around, and CurseGastro has proved to be a valuable member of the team.

Special side:
Suicune Scald vs. Storm Drain Gastrodon: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
+5 0 Atk Gastrodon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 211-249 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Gastrodon: 178-210 (41.7 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Gastrodon: 153-180 (35.9 - 42.2%) -- 92.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Gastrodon: 263-309 (61.7 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (follow up with Recover after the Draco and you can preserve your boosts)
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Gastrodon: 161-191 (37.7 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Gastrodon: 185-218 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Infernape Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Gastrodon: 286-338 (67.1 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (dayum, eating it up. Also proves how some random coverage grass-type moves won't necessarily KO you)

Physical side:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Gastrodon: 162-192 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Gastrodon: 191-225 (44.8 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Gastrodon: 135-159 (31.6 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

80 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Gastrodon: 142-168 (33.3 - 39.4%) -- 15.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)