Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

You do realize that that Glaciate is a special attack and thus is being weakened by the adamant nature?
Like Vemane said, its mostly a utility thing. Glaciate, for the most part, is too weak to seriously use as a special attack.
'course, Glaciate does have its uses, as I mentioned earlier, which is why Naughty (+Attack, -Defense) is an option as well.

Seems like great minds think alike- I've used the same set for a sun team for Volcarona and Venusaur. I'm generally a shitty team builder though, so I couldn't really get it to work well. If I was going to get back into playing though, I'd definitely try running it on HO.
Don't run choiced pokémon on HO.

I hope this isn't Gimmicky but in practice it's been amazing:
Mismagius@ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP/200 Spd/56 SpA
Nature: Timid
- Confuse Ray
- Thunder Wave/ HP Fighting
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt/Calm Mind

The idea of this set is simple: Confuse, Paralyze, hit hard. If you want coverage, skip Thunder Wave for HP Fighting.
Calm Mind over Thunderbolt is best since you can CM while opponents hit themselves and then proceed to wreak havoc!
However, the issue is then you may be walled by a normal type, hence T-bolt or HP Fighting

@Mismagius

It looks like a cool set, but how would you compare it to something that is already in OU?
For example, Jirachi has a couple (exactly 2) sets which revolves around the same principle, the SuperRachi set and the SubCM set which can carry thunder and water pulse under rain.

Mismagius has lesser bulk than rachi and an arguably worse typing, and jirachi can set up 101hp subs, in exchange for 5 SpA and 5 Spd.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast / Magma Storm
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Heatran is good on sand teams as a substitute attacker with Toxic. He can cripple bulky waters and set up substitutes on opposing heatran that don't have earth power. He also runs a timid nature so opposing Heatran don't have a chance unless they are specially defensive variants. (Most offensive heatran use a modest nature.) Magma Storm can be used over Fire Blast to trap Ninetales and Politoed. Defensive politoed is crippled by Toxic while Ninetales gets 2HKOed by Earth Power. Aside from T-tar/Hippowdon, Thundurus-T is the best partner for this heatran as he can take care of bulky waters that trouble heatran with Thunderbolt while grass knot smashes Gastrodon for an OHKO.

@Mismagius

It looks like a cool set, but how would you compare it to something that is already in OU?
For example, Jirachi has a couple (exactly 2) sets which revolves around the same principle, the SuperRachi set and the SubCM set which can carry thunder and water pulse under rain.

Mismagius has lesser bulk than rachi and an arguably worse typing, and jirachi can set up 101hp subs, in exchange for 5 SpA and 5 Spd.
Well, Mismagius is faster than Jirachi and unlike Jirachi isn't playing game of chances: it has 100% on both.
Also, the Ghost typing is often seen as bad but with two immunities(Mismagius actually has three which is REALLY good) and only two weaknesses, it isn't as bad as thought.
Mismagius hits harder than Jirachi with LO and has a diverse movepool.
That isn't to say Jirachi isn't better: simply Mismagius fills a different role(free switch in on Ground or Fighting types)

I hope this isn't Gimmicky but in practice it's been amazing:
Mismagius@ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP/200 Spd/56 SpA
Nature: Timid
- Confuse Ray
- Thunder Wave/ HP Fighting
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt/Calm Mind

The idea of this set is simple: Confuse, Paralyze, hit hard. If you want coverage, skip Thunder Wave for HP Fighting.
Calm Mind over Thunderbolt is best since you can CM while opponents hit themselves and then proceed to wreak havoc!
However, the issue is then you may be walled by a normal type, hence T-bolt or HP Fighting
Do Leftovers over LifeOrb for survivability if you plan on using luck and setting up.

Jolteon @ Expert Belt / Zap Plate
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch / Baton Pass
- Thunder
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

A monster under rain, Politoed is a temmate really obligatory for Jolteon because Thunder with 30% of accuracy and 30% to para. Jolteon outrun all metagame; no scarf mons / no mons that takes advantage of the weather such Stoutland or Venusaur, also rain helps for this too, to override this mons on Rain since Swift Swimers are banned paired with Drizzle in the same team. This set is an special hard hitter since is very faster, STRONG Thunder with a good coverage, Signal Beam helps luring Celebi mainly and finally Volt Switch keeps momentum. Problems for this set? Bulky grounds like SpD Hippowdon or Gastrodon, Mamoswine, Tyranitar on Sand Storm, Ninetales on Drought, Chansey, Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn mostly.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Spd / 200 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake / Substitute
- Protect

Gliscor isn't that hard to bring in due to respectable bulk and toxic orb preventing status, so you have plenty of time to scout out the enemy team. After some scouting and noting the opponent's tendencies when faced with Gliscor, you can fling your toxic orb at your opponent's answer for Gliscor (provided it can be poisoned). This allows you to fully benefit from acrobatics AND poison heal. You can then bring Gliscor in later to smash faces after their Gliscor check has been worn down or if going for the mono type attacker with sub/protect you can wear down the tank yourself. Be careful though, as without earthquake Gliscor can be checked by a lot more things, including steel types who don't take damage from flying and poison.

Jolteon @ Expert Belt / Zap Plate
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch / Baton Pass
- Thunder
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

A monster under rain, Politoed is a temmate really obligatory for Jolteon because Thunder with 30% of accuracy and 30% to para. Jolteon outrun all metagame; no scarf mons / no mons that takes advantage of the weather such Stoutland or Venusaur, also rain helps for this too, to override this mons on Rain since Swift Swimers are banned paired with Drizzle in the same team. This set is an special hard hitter since is very faster, STRONG Thunder with a good coverage, Signal Beam helps luring Celebi mainly and finally Volt Switch keeps momentum. Problems for this set? Bulky grounds like SpD Hippowdon or Gastrodon, Mamoswine, Tyranitar on Sand Storm, Ninetales on Drought, Chansey, Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn mostly.
This is pretty close/pretty much is the standard set.

Something I have found incredibly underrated in OU play is:

Medicham @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
-Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch/Bullet Punch

This thing hits like a truck. I use it all the time in lower tiers and in OU and I feel that it accomplishes things that current OU's cannot do. Haxorus is the only OU that comes close to the attack stat Medicham reaches after the pure power boost, while still having speed. This factor excludes Conkeldurr from the equation. Medicham receives no love even though it has, in my opinion, the best ability in the game. Medicham's power and speed after the boost from the choice scarf makes it a threat to any OU Sweeper. Try it out!

Cresselia@Leftovers
Bold/Levitate
248 HP/196 Def/60 Sp.Att
-Ice Beam
-Lunar Dance/Thunder Wave
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Moonlight

I crafted this set a few weeks ago when I was having a discussion about Landorus-I. Lando is really dominant at every phase in the game and can rip apart Stall and Offense alike around mid- to late-game. Cresselia is probably the best counter to it because of her resistance/immunity to Ground and Fighting as well as her ability to take lol% damage from Hidden Power Ice. I then thought, "Hey, why not put her on a Offense team?" This is the result.

This Cresselia is meant to be used on an Sun Offense team as a defensive pivot. Why a defensive pivot? It can pretty much switch into most attacks for a minimal amount of damage (An Outrage from a Haxorus does about 30% iirc). Furthermore, Moonlight under the sun heals for 2/3 of your total health, which allows it to sufficiently tank hits. The EVs guarantee an OHKO on Landorus-T (again IIRC. If you plug this into your calc and see that this is wrong, please point it out). The HP and Def EVs give it sufficient bulk to tank many Fighting and Dragon attacks. The two attacking moves gives me strong offensive choices over two of the most prominent offensive types in the metagame: Fighting and Dragon. Ice Beam murders most Dragons after 1-2 switch-ins with Stealth Rock as well as dumping on both Landos. Psychic and Psyshock are just purely QOL choices. Psychic hits stuff harder and allows you to potentially OHKO Conkeldurr (not that it matters but oh well). Psyshock gives you a slight edge over a sufficiently weakened Blissey while still allowing you to 2HKO most Fighting types in OU. Lunar Dance and Thunder Wave are really just based on your preference. Thunder Wave gives Cresselia a more active support role in battle by paralyzing your opponent's pokemon, giving yours a better advantage and higher chance of sweeping. Healing Wish forces her to just play as a pure pivot that can heal up a really weakened sweeper on your team (great for slightly reckless players).

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Life Orb Whimsicott. If this hasn't been deleted yet: the main focus of this set is to set up Tailwind for something Banded/Specs to destroy lives. I made a team featuring 2 Tailwind users (including this), Banded Adamant Black Kyurem, Conkeldurr to destroy certain Steels (I'll make an RMT so i'll stop here) that basically.... if Kyurem comes in, bye. Tailwind is obvious, but the Life Orb is so it's attacks do damage and it can die faster, except Giga Drain is useful to do damage and not die (or die, depending on the situation) and HP Fire is for 1 thing: Scizor (and I guess certain targets should Conkeldurr die), you have no idea how many Scizors lead as I lead with Whimsicott and they die to a LO HP Fire. So many are confused by this set, hit themselves in confusion, then lose. U-Turn serves an important purpose as well, if Heatran is about to switch in, get outta dodge. And of course to generally annoy and momentum and all that stuff.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Medicham @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
-Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch/Bullet Punch
As someone who used Medicham a good bit in OU in BW1 (I made the on-site Substitute set), I can say with absolute certainty that Kyurem-B outclasses it now. Nearly identical Attack stats (Kyu-B comes at 2 points higher, basically) and all of Kyurem's other stats are better. It can take a hit, it's faster, and it can go mixed. Medicham has an advantage of being able to beat Steels no problem, but otherwise Kyurem-B completely outclasses it. Medicham was a really cool gimmick when he was the only thing in OU with that kind of power, but now Kyu-B takes that spotlight.

2c.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Okay, I'll be honest, I haven't really tested this (I'm unwilling to make a sun team. Hate Ninetales too much), but I think this could be pretty good for sun.

Victini @ Leftovers/Expert Belt
Adamant / Naughty Nature
252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Speed
V-Create
Glaciate
Final Gambit
Filler

Basically, this set aims to remove weather inducers and V-Create resists (you know, the ones that try to tank one and kill you before you can get off the next one?). Glaciate is the crux of this set. Force out an enemy with the threat of a V-Create and Glaciate on the switch. This forces any faster resists to slow down, allowing Victini to hit again next turn. From there, you can choose to nail the switch-in again with Glaciate, if it hits hard enough to 2HKO, or you can use Final Gambit to remove said Pokemon from the match, and leaving holes for other members of your team to push through. The last move can be whatever you choose. U-Turn, Bolt Strike, Brick Break, and Substitute are all decent options.
EVs are basic. Max Attack and an Adamant nature for V-Create and other offensive options, max HP for Final Gambit. Leftovers heals Victini, keeps HP up for Final Gambit, blahblahblah. Running a Naughty nature and Expert Belt allows you to 2HKO offensive Dragonite through Multiscale with Glaciate, as well as do the same with all variants of Garchomp (including YacheChomp) and Salamence (watch out for scarfers, though).
This set can lure in and kill off both Tyranitar and Politoed, two enormous problems for Sun teams, and which Ninetales cannot deal with effectively. It also removes potential problems such as Heatran and Latias.

So. Yeah.
What name have you been using on the ladder? I was testing out my new team and I encountered that Victini set. It was quite surprising at first, caught my Dnite offguard, it was definitely an annoyance to me. Good set overall, it might not seem that great on paper but ingame Glaciate is really irritating to Victini's checks.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
So I decided to try this out, and it actually seems to work.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute
- Psych Up

I wanted something to combat common steels. One issue with Magnezone, however, is that it falls flat on its face against SubCM Jirachi, which sets up on a traditional Magnezone set and destroys it, even if they're variants that don't use a move that can hit Magnezone even neutrally. SubCM Jirachi was one of the biggest targets I needed to nail with this set, and other trappers just can't deal with Jirachi as a whole well enough, so I came up with this. What this set does is hide Magnezone under a Sub, and then copy their stat boosts with Psych Up. This lets Magnezone beat CM variants of Jirachi, so now it can beat down almost every Jirachi variant. HP Fire is perferred, but HP Ground is obviously an option to kill Heatran or hit Jirachi harder in Rain if your team needs that. Of course, you can always run Thunder if you're using this on a rain team, this set benefits greatly from Paralysis since Magnezone is so damned slow. Since Charge Beam or Flash Cannon aren't exactly the best moves in the world, the set doesn't lose much from running Psych Up since the moveslot there is so damned expendable. Not being able to severely damage Mamoswine or Tyranitar while under a sub with Flash Cannon or being able to boost against non-boosting threats with Charge Beam is about all it loses, which isn't a huge deal when it comes to the fact that it makes Magnezone better at doing his job at the cost of being easier to revenge kill.

What name have you been using on the ladder? I was testing out my new team and I encountered that Victini set. It was quite surprising at first, caught my Dnite offguard, it was definitely an annoyance to me. Good set overall, it might not seem that great on paper but ingame Glaciate is really irritating to Victini's checks.
I haven't been playing that much recently (playing too much Borderlands 2 and TF2). Its just something I theorymonned, I haven't even tried it myself.

Here's one that might sound gimmicky but with experience I can say it really works well. (sorry for no pics as I am on my phone)
*Slaking@ Choice Scarf- Adament
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
* Return
* Earthquake
* Ice Punch
* Punishment
And
Cofagrigus@ Leftovers- Bold
EV's: 248 HP/ 252 DEF/ 8 SPE
* Willo-Wisp
* Shadowball
* Pain Split
* Knock Off

Ok, so here's how it works. You send out Cofagrigus on a physical attacker who then subjects itself to obtaining the ability Mummy. Then you send out your Slaking who then gets hit, also abtaining the ability Mummy. But wait, now Slaking can freely attack without the pain of Traunt. When this happenes Slaking can destroy most teams because of the suprise factor and its brute strenght. Return is the best STAB it gets, EQ because whats better then spamming it while scarfed (mind you, out running alot of pokes being at 100 base speed), Ice Punch for dragons and flying types, and Punishment for setup attackers. Also, grigus can make it easier for him to sweep, nullifing abilities, knocking off items, and burning foes. So yah, thats it.

FrozenBlastoise said:
Here's one that might sound gimmicky but with experience I can say it really works well. (sorry for no pics as I am on my phone)
*Slaking@ Choice Scarf- Adament
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
* Return
* Earthquake
* Ice Punch
* Punishment
And
Cofagrigus@ Leftovers- Bold
EV's: 248 HP/ 252 DEF/ 8 SPE
* Willo-Wisp
* Shadowball
* Pain Split
* Knock Off

Ok, so here's how it works. You send out Cofagrigus on a physical attacker who then subjects itself to obtaining the ability Mummy. Then you send out your Slaking who then gets hit, also abtaining the ability Mummy. But wait, now Slaking can freely attack without the pain of Traunt. When this happenes Slaking can destroy most teams because of the suprise factor and its brute strenght. Return is the best STAB it gets, EQ because whats better then spamming it while scarfed (mind you, out running alot of pokes being at 100 base speed), Ice Punch for dragons and flying types, and Punishment for setup attackers. Also, grigus can make it easier for him to sweep, nullifing abilities, knocking off items, and burning foes. So yah, thats it.
You need Pursuit on the Slaking so the Mummy-fied enemy can't switch out of Slaking and ruin your fun. This basically means you can't run Scarf though.

Posted from Smogon.com App for Android

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
An odd set I tried out on a recent team:

Blissey (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 176 HP / 100 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

This was a really specific set for a weatherless team to better combat Sun - with the given EVs and Expert Belt, this set will always OHKO Venusaur in the Sun after Stealth Rock or one round of Life Orb. Ice Beam rips right through Landorus and does a sizable chunk to most Dragons. Wish and Protect are standard Blissey fare for team support. It does miss Leftovers and Toxic, so I wouldn't advise it if you're just looking for a special wall, but if you absolutely need something like this it's worth trying.

Sun Support Slowbro

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Slowbro is one of my favorite pokemon to use on Sun Teams, and it is consistently something of an MVP. Great Defense and Psychic/Water typing allows it handle multiple pokemon that threaten sun, such as Terrakion, Infernape and Landorus, while Regenerator helps with those double-switches that are so vital for maintaining momentum in sun. Thunder Wave allows Slowbro to outspeed and heal and stall for a win, and later on helps Venusaur to set up. Flamethrower is not to be laughed at under Sun, and gets the upper hand against pokemon angling to set up or gain a free U-turn, such as Scizor or Ferrothorn. Ice Beam gives it offensive presence against dragons and Landorus, thought it could be switched out for Psychic for neutral, consistent STAB-damage.

It struggles against things like banded Outrages and Stone Edges - but what non-steel doesn't?

With all the rain teams around, and rain teams usually dying fast if Politoed dies, I'm surprised I've yet to come across a single one with a similar setup:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpD
IV: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The main benefits over the standard setup is that it lives FAR longer, which is useful because you don't want your weather starter to die. I've had matches turn around completely because of the surprise factor and difficulty most things have in killing it. Like so:

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-18784119

On a side note, this is my favorite thread here so far. :)

Gardevoir is my favorite Pokemon, so I made a pretty cool set for it imo.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Trace
Modest
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Psychic
Focus Blast
HP Ice
Thunderbolt

Really nice revenge killer. OHKOs Tyranitar, Landorus, Garchomp, Keldeo and more. What really sets it apart is Trace, as you can copy Intimidate, Flash Fire, Volt Absorb, Multiscale or whatever and gain a useful ability. It can survive a few things too, Latios Draco Meteor does 70% which means you get the 2HKO because you're faster.

Might not be the greatest in this meta but in terms of surprise factor and fun it's awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)