Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

U-turn is useful because after a U-turn+SR, Pursuit from scarf ttar-weavile / u-turn from scarfzor is a guaranteed kill on thing like LOmie / offensive latios / gengar iirc, Baton pass does the same but with no damage. ( and you can do a lot of damage on a Celebi that thinks he can tank the subtoxic set with ease, he won't come in once he sees SD, that's always a cool surprise knock-out to get )

The metagame is based a lot on revenge killing so it's kinda hard to set-up a swords dance then Bping out except vs stall.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
This is one of the better sets I've seen on here. Very clever, original, and unique. A note: if you don't care about speed-tying Alakazam, you can run only 228 Speed EVs (enough to beat Scarf TTar counting the HP Fire drop). This allows you to run 252 Att/ 28 SpAtt/ 228 Spe, Naive.

28 SpA Dugtrio Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor in sun: 224-264 (65.3 - 76.96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
28 SpA Dugtrio Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress in sun: 276-328 (77.96 - 92.65%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You have a chance to OHKO Min SpDef Forry after Stealth Rock with this spread!!
Don't take the EVs out of speed take them from Atk Speed tying with Alakazam is more important considering that Alakazam is usually a huge threat to sun teams than a few Atk EVs that aren't likely to do much. The big problem i got with this set is that Sun teams actually have never trouble with these Pokemon and using SR, Substitute, Memento or Sucker Punch seems much more useful to me than barely 2HKOing some threats sun teams usually have no problem switching into anyway.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Don't take the EVs out of speed take them from Atk Speed tying with Alakazam is more important considering that Alakazam is usually a huge threat to sun teams than a few Atk EVs that aren't likely to do much. The big problem i got with this set is that Sun teams actually have never trouble with these Pokemon and using SR, Substitute, Memento or Sucker Punch seems much more useful to me than barely 2HKOing some threats sun teams usually have no problem switching into anyway.
Sun teams have huge problems with hazards

Have fun watching any of them setting up rocks on the switch

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Sun teams have huge problems with hazards

Have fun watching any of them setting up rocks on the switch
they will still set them up since you don't OHKO any of the threats, Sun Teams also only have problems with Stealth Rock and these pokemon are way more often used as spikers.

Me again.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Sleep Talk

It's MoxieMence, but with Sleep Talk, so you can come in on all the Brelooms and Venusaurs you like and nab a surprise kill the next turn/hit the switch-in hard. No matter what move you pick, you're going to be laying down the hurt on your grassy sleep-inducing foe. Even if said usually-hard-to-switch-into threat is not present on the opposing team, Salamence can still serve its usual purposes of revenge killer and scariest lategame cleaner in OU. It really doesn't miss Earthquake much, unless your team is walled by Heatran, in which case, don't be walled by Heatran.

Me again.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Sleep Talk

It's MoxieMence, but with Sleep Talk, so you can come in on all the Brelooms and Venusaurs you like and nab a surprise kill the next turn/hit the switch-in hard. No matter what move you pick, you're going to be laying down the hurt on your grassy sleep-inducing foe. Even if said usually-hard-to-switch-into threat is not present on the opposing team, Salamence can still serve its usual purposes of revenge killer and scariest lategame cleaner in OU. It really doesn't miss Earthquake much, unless your team is walled by Heatran, in which case, don't be walled by Heatran.

I like this set. The same concept can be done with Specs Latios and it has worked pretty well for me. The only issue with this is that if you do stay for more than one turn you risk waking up and being locked in on Sleep Talk. Besides that its solid.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay so I'm pretty sure a few people are already using this set but it still isn't amazingly popular so here it is.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Body Slam / Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

This is basically the standard SpDef Jirachi set but with a twist. Healing Wish. Healing Wish has many uses in this metagame. Firstly, this set should generally be used on balance and offensive teams, as it's used to give a sweeper another chance to sweep once it's counters have been weakened from the previous sweep. Jirachi is also really helpful in winning the weather war, as it put your weather inducer back at basically full health, which can win you the game. Iron Head is Jirachi's main form of STAB and has a 60% chance to flinch the opponent if you're in need to get out of a sticky situation. U-turn is used to gain momentum and allow one of your sweepers to get a free switch in to wreck havoc. Body Slam is used for it's 60% chance to paralyse the opponent, in which you can "Paraflinch" the opponent to death. Stealth Rock can be used here if you don't have room for it anywhere else on your team.

Scotti

we back.
Ok here is a set i have been using in NU, but it can be used in any tier. This pokemon has no weaknesses and amazing bulk. Here is the pokemon i have been using and i hope it doesn't count as a gimmick. Here is the pokemon and the set:

Physical Defensive

Eelektrik (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain/ Thunder-Wave/ Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

With this set you can wall, so many physical pokes in Ou. The only downside is that you have no reliable recovery though you have a pretty good movepool consisting of Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, Thunder-Wave, Toxic, U-Turn, Volt-Switch, Coil, Wild Charge, Aqua Tail, and Acid Spray. Though that may not seem like much the most important part is the great physical bulk this thing has.

Here are some calc to show what i mean:

Code:
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 153-183 (45.8 - 54.79%) -- 58.98% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 118-141 (35.32 - 42.21%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

64+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 69-82 (20.65 - 24.55%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 85-101 (25.44 - 30.23%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 103-121 (30.83 - 36.22%) -- 55.27% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 144-171 (43.11 - 51.19%) -- 4.69% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 109-130 (32.63 - 38.92%) -- 99.44% chance to 3HKO

(Focus Sash)

252 Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 40-48 (11.97 - 14.37%) -- possible 7HKO

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite (custom): 118-139 (35.32 - 41.61%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Those were the physical calc. It can also run a great special Defense set.

Eelektrik (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain/ Thunder-Wave/ Hp Ice
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

With the Special Set you can wall yes i said wall Sheer Force Landorus because Focus Blast is a 3hko and you can run Hp Ice to defeat it. It also 3hko by the likes of keldeo and can Paralyze it making this thing a real threat. With wish support this thing can get more moves and coverage by taking off rest and sleep talk and replacing them with other moves.

Here are some calcs to prove its great special defense:

Code:
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite (custom): 124-147 (37.12 - 44.01%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 118-139 (35.32 - 41.61%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 122-144 (36.52 - 43.11%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(Latios Calcs don't forget of Draco Meteor Drop)

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 179-212 (53.59 - 63.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Scarfed)

252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 138-163 (41.31 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(Calm Mind)

252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite (custom): 118-139 (35.32 - 41.61%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(Bulky Attacker)

56+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 94-112 (28.14 - 33.53%) -- 0.15% chance to 3HKO

(Scarfed)

252 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 102-121 (30.53 - 36.22%) -- 56.32% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 147-174 (44.01 - 52.09%) -- 14.06% chance to 2HKO

(Defensive Rapid Spin)

4 SpA Starmie Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite (custom): 78-93 (23.35 - 27.84%) -- possible 4HKO

(Scarfed)

252 SpA Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 99-117 (29.64 - 35.02%) -- 13.7% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite (custom): 120-142 (35.92 - 42.51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 103-122 (30.83 - 36.52%) -- 67.65% chance to 3HKO

(Scarfed)
252 SpA Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 85-101 (25.44 - 30.23%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

(Expert Belt)
252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 51-60 (15.26 - 17.96%) -- possible 6HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom): 110-131 (32.93 - 39.22%) -- 99.93% chance to 3HKO
It can be used other ways, but those are the ways i seem to find most helpful. I didn't study this pokemon enough to find different ways to use it. This is what i know so far so please tell me anything that can help this set or if it is even viable using this thing. Also i would really want to know how would this thing be used in other tier and in which tier can it shine the most. I really took alot of time writing this.

~Scotti~

That set looks terrible in OU if I'm gonna be honest. Sure it does have somewhat decent bulk with Eviolite, but it doesn't fill any defensive niches on a team that can't be already done better by something else (good palette of resistances > no weaknesses). A lot of those calculations seem to be cherry picked to show its bulk - things like defensive Landorus-T's Stone Edge and defensive Starmie's Psyshock aren't going to be plowing through walls any time soon. You also didn't take Stealth Rock into consideration, which turns many of the 3HKOs you mentioned into 2HKOs and so on.

Regardless, here's what happens in a realistic scenario: you switch Eelektrik in on an attack that 3HKOs it. You're left within 2HKO range, and are forced to use Rest on the next turn or get taken out. As you're ReSTalking, they get an easy KO as quite frankly, Eelektrik isn't going to be threatening much offensively with only base 75 Sp. Attack and no investment, and is goddamn slow.

Meet one of my new favorites in OU: Agilipass Zapdos

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Baton Pass

The Agilipass Zapdos set is a seriously cool cookie. Zapdos' primary role is to sweep, which is why it was given max special attack and a Life Orb. It is not that far off from some Thundurus-T in terms of power. Zapdos with a positive special attacking nature hits 383 SpA while neutral nature Thundurus-T hits 389. In addition, Zapdos is a good deal bulkier with higher HP, Defense, and Special Defense.

So the way you use this set with Baton Pass is that you aim to get some powerful hits off with Zapdos at +2 speed or attempt to sweep. If your opponent brings in a Zapdos counter or if Zapdos is running low on health, Zapdos can use Baton Pass to allow a second Pokemon who is more apt to finish up the job on the opponent. Of course, you can also just use the Zapdos for just pure Agility passing if Zapdos really can't dent the opponent. Life Orb attackers are usually the best recipients of the Agility boost, but you can pass to other stuff as well. I have been passing to SD Garchomp, Life Orb Terrakion, and Life Orb Keldeo. Because it is a speed boost, most of the time you will get the pass off before you get killed. Baton Pass also has the neat benefit of acting as a pseudo U-turn to scout the opponents switch. The EV's and nature are pretty simple: max special attack + outspeeding positive nature base 70's + dumping the rest in bulk. The Speed EV's also let you outspeed scarf Latios after an Agility. I suggest you guys try it out, it is a really neat set that can make any attacker on your HO team an Agility sweeper in a sweeper itself!

EDIT: There is no hide function? :\

EDIT 2 W/ REPLAYS:

Single Agility Sweeps:

Rain's Nightmare: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-39982005
Sand's Terror: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-39979752

Robbed/conservative at the end, but an example of a successful pass to Keldeo in front of TTar:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-39972680

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.

Kyurem-B @ Choice Specs
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power[Fire]

I know what you're thinking: "use Kyurem-C instead".
Kyu-B however has a huge surprise factor on his side, as well as Teravolt, which makes this set perfectly viable.

The pink blobs (who usually tend to stay the hell away from what is commonly used as a physical attacker) are the only things that can wall this monster, everything else is 2HKO'd at worst.
This Kyurem-B is capable of crazy things such as cleanly 2HKOing Ferrothorn with Ice Beam as well as Forretress with Draco Meteor (factoring the Sp.Atk drop!).
Offensive variants of Jirachi are OHKO'd with Earth Power, specially defensive ones are outsped and 2HKO'd at worst.

The beauty of this set is that Kyu-B doesn't have to rely on the annoying Focus Miss for coverage.
HP Fire can OHKO CB Scizor after SR in the rain, thanks to Teravolt Earth Power becomes a very spammable attack (flying types will never dare to directly switch on something that commonly runs STAB Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt coming from 170 Atk) and as mentioned above Ferrothorn is soundly 2HKO'd by Ice Beam.
Of course you can use Blizzard over Ice Beam in hail.

Give this set a try, you won't be disappointed.

Somewhat gimmicky set for Donphan, but the whole is much more than the sum of its parts. Wish I had saved the matches it has worked well in.

Donphan [L25]
Item-Custap Berry
Trait-Sturdy
EVs and IVs: 0 all
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Endeavor
-Ice Shard

Any kinda Status or residual damage/healing ruins the strategy, against offensive nonghosts, at least one pokemon will be severely crippled or dead.

EDIT: Sample Videos (when it works well: trust me when I say I'm lucking that Skarmory didn't have Brave Bird)

pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-40363627
pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-40367315
pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-40368279
pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-40368747
pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-40369774

haunter

Banned deucer.
I see little use for HP fire on that Kyurem. Focus blast does up to 84% to standard CB Scizor and doesn't lock you into a weak, unstabbed, move. Focus blast also has a chance at 2hko'ing physically defensive Blissey with rocks up and is a clean ohko on TTar.

Starmie @Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
252 Spe/252 SpA/4 HP, Timid Nature
Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
Thunderbolt/Thunder
Ice Beam
Psyshock

I remember reading somewhere that Starmie doesn't rely on pure attacking power as much as its excellent, often super effective, coverage. Then why haven't I seen Expert Belt Starmie before? Expert Belt offers just slightly less power than Life Orb, assuming super effective hits (on neutral or resisted hits, the difference is considerably greater), but has two advantages over the "standard" sets. The most obvious one is that Expert Belt doesn't eat up Starmie's HP like Life Orb does, but the other, and arguably greater, advantage is that when your opponents see neither Life Orb recoil nor Leftovers recovery, they often assume Starmie is Choiced, which might lead to a nasty surprise.

The moves are very straightforward: you want as good coverage as possible with only four moveslots. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam form the infamous BoltBeam combination, known since RBY to have excellent coverage. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you want to punish Rain teams, or if you're feeling lucky and content with the 70% accuracy. The other two moves are its STABs; Hydro Pump is very powerful, especially in rain. If you don't like the imperfect accuracy, Surf and Scald are perfectly viable options as well. The last move is Psyshock, dealing with the very common Fighting-types as well as specially bulky Pokemon that don't resist it. It is chosen over Psychic for this very reason.

Reading through this thread has opened my eyes for Analytic, which might me a better option than Natural Cure for this particular set. I have, however, not played it with Analytic yet, and can't say anything about how it works in practice. This set is countered by specially defensive Jirachi, who doubly resists Psyshock and takes Starmie's other moves well, as well as Forretress, who resists both STABs and takes little damage from Ice Beam.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Starmie @Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
252 Spe/252 SpA/4 HP, Timid Nature
Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
Thunderbolt/Thunder
Ice Beam
Psyshock

I remember reading somewhere that Starmie doesn't rely on pure attacking power as much as its excellent, often super effective, coverage. Then why haven't I seen Expert Belt Starmie before? Expert Belt offers just slightly less power than Life Orb, assuming super effective hits (on neutral or resisted hits, the difference is considerably greater), but has two advantages over the "standard" sets. The most obvious one is that Expert Belt doesn't eat up Starmie's HP like Life Orb does, but the other, and arguably greater, advantage is that when your opponents see neither Life Orb recoil nor Leftovers recovery, they often assume Starmie is Choiced, which might lead to a nasty surprise.

The moves are very straightforward: you want as good coverage as possible with only four moveslots. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam form the infamous BoltBeam combination, known since RBY to have excellent coverage. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you want to punish Rain teams, or if you're feeling lucky and content with the 70% accuracy. The other two moves are its STABs; Hydro Pump is very powerful, especially in rain. If you don't like the imperfect accuracy, Surf and Scald are perfectly viable options as well. The last move is Psyshock, dealing with the very common Fighting-types as well as specially bulky Pokemon that don't resist it. It is chosen over Psychic for this very reason.

Reading through this thread has opened my eyes for Analytic, which might me a better option than Natural Cure for this particular set. I have, however, not played it with Analytic yet, and can't say anything about how it works in practice. This set is countered by specially defensive Jirachi, who doubly resists Psyshock and takes Starmie's other moves well, as well as Forretress, who resists both STABs and takes little damage from Ice Beam.

Yeah you're definitely best off going with Analytic for this kind of Starmie. A similar set was posted a few pages back. I really think you should be slashing Rapid Spin in this move set, as that is Starmie's role in the metagame. I'd slash it over Psyshock or Thunderbolt (depending what spin blocker you want to hit for more damage, Gengar, or Jellicent). Obviously this set appreciates Drizzle support, and maybe a way in getting past Ferrothorn and Tyranitar. Breloom seems to fit nicely.

Yeah you're definitely best off going with Analytic for this kind of Starmie. A similar set was posted a few pages back. I really think you should be slashing Rapid Spin in this move set, as that is Starmie's role in the metagame. I'd slash it over Psyshock or Thunderbolt (depending what spin blocker you want to hit for more damage, Gengar, or Jellicent). Obviously this set appreciates Drizzle support, and maybe a way in getting past Ferrothorn and Tyranitar. Breloom seems to fit nicely.
Thank you, I think I will change it to Analytic right away. I have seen that similar set, but I already have a spinner on my team (physically defensive Cloyster), and Expert Belt Starmie requires all the coverage it can get.

Many people complain that Ninetales is dead weight on sun teams as it has underwhelming power and mediocre bulk. Thus I have been testing other Sunny Day inducers. One of my favorites:

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 196 Atk/220 SpD/92 Spe
Nature: Careful
-Cross Chop
-Sunny Day
-Stone Edge
-Toxic

Cross Chop is used over Close Combat to maintain Hariyama's good bulk and make it less easy to revenge-kill. Sunny Day is obvious as this is a manual sun setter. Stone Edge is a coverage move to hit Fire and Flying types that may overwhelm Hariyama, while Toxic gives this set a defensive twist. It is specifically for Politoed but can be used against other things. Thick Fat is used over Guts for insurance against BlizzSpam and Fire-type attacks, but if you use this set feel free to switch to Guts.

The EVs are very specific. The 196 Atk ensures that Hariyama OHKOs any Tyranitar variant without a Chople Berry with Cross Chop, and the speed ensures that Hariyama outspeeds 64 Spe Neutral-natured Tyranitar. The rest is put in special defense to absorb attacks such as Politoed's Hydro Pump and Venusaur's Solarbeam/Sludge Bomb.

I want to see what people think of this set because it's actually worked a lot better than I thought it would...

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Mild/Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw

Basically this is a SmashPass receiver, The EVs are enough speed to outrun timid scarf Latios after +2, max Spatk, rest in HP. Atk EVs don't really add any meaningful ohkos or 2hkos. I like to run mild since Kyurem-B has a nice set of resistances to use on the special side, but rash gives you the ability to survive a CB mach/bullet punch if you keep stealth rocks off the field. Lum Berry is just stopping any random status from defensive or prankster mons but Chople or Babiri Berry would definitely be useful. With this moveset and +2 Atk/+2 Spatk, it 2hkos literally everything, check the calcs yourself if you don't believe it.

I know it's Scizor/Breloom weak so I didn't really think it would work myself, but I haven't really seen many other very good ways to deal with this thing once it gets that boost. Breloom isn't even that effective at stopping it because non-boosted mach punch from jolly Breloom fails to ohko w/ stealth rock regardless of your nature and rash allows you to survive even if it has life orb. So in general the strategy is pretty much just trying to kill Scizor/Breloom then pulling a successful SmashPass.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I want to see what people think of this set because it's actually worked a lot better than I thought it would...

Kyurem-Black @ Lum Berry
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Mild/Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw

Basically this is a SmashPass receiver, The EVs are enough speed to outrun timid scarf Latios after +2, max Spatk, rest in HP. Atk EVs don't really add any meaningful ohkos or 2hkos. I like to run mild since Kyurem-B has a nice set of resistances to use on the special side, but rash gives you the ability to survive a CB mach/bullet punch if you keep stealth rocks off the field. Lum Berry is just stopping any random status from defensive or prankster mons but Chople or Babiri Berry would definitely be useful. With this moveset and +2 Atk/+2 Spatk, it 2hkos literally everything, check the calcs yourself if you don't believe it.

I know it's Scizor/Breloom weak so I didn't really think it would work myself, but I haven't really seen many other very good ways to deal with this thing once it gets that boost. Breloom isn't even that effective at stopping it because non-boosted mach punch from jolly Breloom fails to ohko w/ stealth rock regardless of your nature and rash allows you to survive even if it has life orb. So in general the strategy is pretty much just trying to kill Scizor/Breloom then pulling a successful SmashPass.
I think that going for more physical bulky is valuable as a receiver because the only thing that will stop you is priority. Life orb would be nice except that it'll put you into priority range. Otherwise, I've faced a smashed kyurem before.

I lost

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 252HP / 252 Def/ 4 Atk
Relaxed/Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam

Behold the premiere defensive wall of OU. When you think about Kube, the first thing that comes to mind is that 170ATK stat, and the second thing is outrage. It pulls off many mixed and choice sets well, but few(almost nobody) are prepared for a purely defensive sub shuffler. The first two moves make keeping Kyurem-B alive and healthy very easy. Roost helps mitigate the SR weakness which shaves away a quarter of the black dragon's health, while Dragon Tail allows the nigslammer to force cowardly opponents to take even more damage as they switch out fearing a 4x effective ice beam or a powerful dragon tail on their frail pokemon. Uninvested, Kyurem-B still has incredible offensive stats, rivaling invested starmie and adamant terrakion in one set. Ice Beam mauls pokemon weak to it and assists with Ferrothorn slaying.

You can go with a relaxed nature to retain special defense, as this set is slightly frail on the special side. (nothing barring draco meteor or specs focus blast will ohko). Relaxed nature makes whittling down the PP of gyro ball even more chill, and you'll find that you're even able to stall out stone edges and fish for misses due to Kyurem's bulk. Forretress makes a great defensive partner, spinning away rocks while keeping them on the opponent's side of the field. Without rocks, kyurem-B becomes much less intimidating. Starmie with analytic and thunder easily disposes of jellicent, it's only check as a spinner, and makes a terrific defensive partner, resisting steel and fighting. Gyarados makes a strong offensive partner, lowering the attack of opponents and sponging powerful fighting/steel attacks, while kyurem-b makes the perfect switch in to obvious thunderbolts and such.

Kyurem vs Kyurem-Black: I find that the nature of attacks hurled at the dragon/ice typing are usually physical, therefore the addition 10 base defense of Kyurem-B and increased D-tail damage are of greater utility than the increased SpA and ability in Pressure. This pokemon is meant to set up on slower walls or switch into things that pose no threat and get up a sub, and start clicking dtail to stall out other mons. Once it has a sub up, it can spam roost/sub repeatedly and stall out faster pokemon with powerful moves that do >50% damage. Pressure is without a doubt the better ability on this set, but I've found myself being able to stall out stone edge/CC pretty well without it. Of course, if there are multiple pokemon you need to stall out, kyurem might be a second option, however you will sorely miss the power in dragon tail and the 10 defense you lose. Furthermore, Kyurem-black has much greater surprise value as a subroost shuffler. It's not meant to stall PP so much as it is to force switches and rack up hazards damage. People usually expect a powerful physical attacker, or a fairly bulky sub/3attacks mon, but get demolished by the physical god that is Kyurem-B.

Calcs:

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 284-336 (62.55 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [see CB terrakion for CB outrage damage calcs)
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 200-236 (44.05 - 51.98%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 422-498 (92.95 - 109.69%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 234-276 (51.54 - 60.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (127 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyurem-B: 186-222 (40.96 - 48.89%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (ferrothorn is almost always setup bait. just make sure you don't switch in on leech seed. relaxed nature lowers the power of gyro ball)

0 SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 412-492 (116.38 - 138.98%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 576-684 (156.09 - 185.36%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 212-252 (50.47 - 60%) -- 84.77% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragonite: 348-412 (90.15 - 106.73%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Divide et impera
Liepard @ Choice Specs or Band/Lagging Tail/Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Trick
- Taunt/Torment/T-wave
- Yawn/T-wave

Yes the joke of the coffee-corner of NU: Liepard. It has some potential that is, I feel, unused: Prankster is along with Multiscale, Magic Bounce and some other abilities one of the undeniably best abilities in Pokémon. This makes use of it's ability to it's fulliest without it becoming a burden:
Trick coupled with a crippling item like a specs, band or Lagging Tail is an incredible combo that can easily cripple an opposing pokémon. For example: it can easily trick a specs unto a lead terrakion whilst it's setting up an 'easy SR', or trick a Band on Keldeo for similiar effect. Though the tricking of a choice item can be easily used against you if you mispredict: like tricking a band unto a choice-banded Dragonite: good luck with that. The Choice Items are incredible options against (semi-)defensive teams, they limit Liepard's ability to 'troll' the opposing team as it can only use one move until it has used trick, which can potentially make your lovely snarky Liepard more a burden than anything.
Meanwhile, Lagging Tail is the more obvious better choice in the offensive metagame that favors power and speed without any real down-sides to Liepard, as Prankster ignores Lagging Tail's effect, save for such specific situations that they might as well be ignored because you made a massive mistake in that case. Along with that, tricking a Lagging Tail will 999999/1000000 give you an advantage: the holder of Lagging Tail will always move last, unless they have a priority move or prankster themselves. A threatening sweeper like Volcarona, Keldeo, Breloom or Terrakion are far less scary once they have lost their favorable item and have it get replaced by the Lagging Tail of imment doom, as it always even Ferrothorn to be faster than them. Meanwhile a bulky attacker like Kyurem suddenly loses it's Roost-Sub combo if it relies on being faster than it's opponent, not to mention the loss of Lefties, which will hurt their survivability. Additional fun with this set can be extracted by tricking a lagging tail on a choice user, switch out, then proceed to later trick it on a pokémon that will far from benefit from it: like Ferrothorn.
Focus sash can be used for Lead Liepard, or if you have a spinner. It can still be tricked away after use, but it only provides the ability to negate a potential positive item that the opponent has.
The last two options are honestly whatever you prefer or want to deal with. In the Third slot Torment and Taunt, Torment being there for pokémon with choice items attached to them, forcing them to struggle for forgiveness or use it on a strong set-up sweeper like Gyarados or Volc. to force them to choose their coverage move(s) instead of their main attack, bonus points if you use Torment against an opposing Kyu-B that has just used Outrage and killed one of your mates. Whislt Taunt cripples pokémon like Breloom, Skarmory and Ferrothorn to such an extend that they become almost hugable (don't do it though).
T-wave meanwhile provides a semi-revenge option against anything powerful that lacks a ground typing or has a lum berry: after a kill against one of your pokémon you can quite easily switch in Liepard and either Trick (if you haven't already) it's Lagging Tail against it, or T-wave it to massively reduce it's sweeping potential. T-wave can also be used as a double-status set for Liepard.
Then there's the last slot: if you have Breloom or simply have no brains: pick T-wave if you haven't already. Otherwise, that is if you have brains, go for Yawn, Yawn provides another semi-revenge annoying move to aid your team: it forces the opponent to sleep or forces them to switch out to negate it, potentially putting you in a better position and also dealing more hazard damage to the opposing team. Which will be incredible helpful to you. Whether you use it the first turn of the entire battle, as a breather move against the opponent, as a way to stop the opponent from setting up or as a semi-revenge tool. Yawn has incredible potential if coupled by a prankster user.
U-turn is there just because Liepard needs at least some form of damage and because it is a reliable way to switch out in case you expect an incoming switch for a favorable match-up. Though Liepard is slower than some notable threats, if the opponent has the almighty Lagging Tail or has been Paralyzed it's easy to use it. Not to mention that base 106 may not be the fastest thing on the planet, it'll still be in the top 50 of the OU Marathon.
EV's other than speed honestly don't matter that much: Liepard is too weak to be a threat offensively and it's defenses leave a lot to be desired, but simply can't be remedied with defensive EV's with some quick calcs that I ran.
The biggest problem with Liepard, other than not being a major offensive or defensive threat, is that it is affected by all types of hazards and does not have a lot of switch-in options: it'll either have to wait for an incoming psychic attack, a double switch or a free switch through the death of one of your own pokémon.
However Liepard provides incredible support to the team and doesn't ask for much in return: because it simply can not be supported, Liepard is a text-book example of a high-risk, high-reward annoyer without relying on hax. It's biggest boon is the ability to cripple an opposing threat (or two) by using a little bit of smart play, not too much as otherwise you probably would not understand it and it would be deemed 'too weak'. And is one of the few Pokémon that can even stop a +6/+6 threat from damaging your ranks even more, if you're willing to sacrifice Liepard that is.
Sacrifice and utility are keywords to this Liepard set, due to Liepard's frailness, do not expect it to survive a lot, or anything really. It's paper-thin defenses are worse than Sableye, which at least has three immunities and recover to help it. But it's support/cripple movepool is somewhat better than Sableye's thanks to not having to act as a wall and having acces to U-Turn and Yawn.
This set can be used on both Defensive and Offensive teams to provide a 'plan B' in case you get swept, but it's best use is simply being capable of crippling opposing pokémon in such a way that they won't be considered a threat anymore: even if Liepard has to sacrifice itself to do so.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack

SD Scizor with quick attack. Quick attack hits pokemon that resist bullet punch very hard after a swords dance boost.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 144-170 (38.81 - 45.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 192-227 (51.75 - 61.18%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus-T: 187-220 (62.54 - 73.57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus-T: 250-294 (83.61 - 98.32%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 177-209 (61.67 - 72.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 237-279 (82.57 - 97.21%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jolteon: 209-248 (77.12 - 91.51%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jolteon: 279-330 (102.95 - 121.77%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 186-219 (63.26 - 74.48%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 248-292 (84.35 - 99.31%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 160-189 (61.3 - 72.41%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 213-252 (81.6 - 96.55%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 170-200 (51.35 - 60.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 226-266 (68.27 - 80.36%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see quick attack gets you some very important ohko's that you can't get with bullet punch. Quick attack also does more damage against Rotom, Keldeo and Scarf Politoed. This set works well with mixed max speed Tyranitar because it can lure pokemon that can stop this set like Skarmory, Landorus-T, Heatran and Magnezone. You can also run more speed ( 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe Adamant ) with superpower instead of bug bite to destroy Heatran, Skarmory and Magnezone.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 170-200 (51.35 - 60.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 226-266 (68.27 - 80.36%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Ok but Gyarados will always intimidate Scizor :

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 127-150 (35.97 - 42.49%) -- 34.38% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 169-200 (47.87 - 56.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Those are more correct.

Moreover, you calc against 252/252/4 Gyarados while he is played with 88 HPs / 4 Def / 248 Atk / 180 speed.

Gyarados will not always intimidate. Moxie Gyarados is a perfectly viable alternative and key for his most explosive sweeping sets.

So I'm missing my usual bookmark of sprites...

[SET]
name: Substitute Trapper, or, "Fuck You, Blissey"
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Reversal
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Liechi Berry
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (note: 4 HP EVs means Liechi Berry activates after 3 Subs, which is awesome for normal SubBerry sweepers, not so much for this Dugtrio who relies on Reversal)

My last few teams have used the on-site Sash/Stealth Rock because he's awesome for getting rid of stuff like Heatran and setting up Rocks, but I noticed that I started to rely on him for taking care of Blissey as well, but he performed very poorly against Blissey. EQ was never doing nearly enough, I'd get Toxic'd and she'd Wish/Protect or Softboiled stall like the bitch she is. So, on my most recent team I devised this. Substitute blocks Toxic/other shenanigans they might want to employ, and as they S. Toss me, I only get close and closer to OHKOing with Reversal (252/252+ Eviolite Chansey takes upwards of 88% from +1 200 BP Reversal). Sure, I only get one or so KOs with this any given game, but that KO tends to be super important. He also removes non-U-turn Jirachi very well, +1 EQ has a good chance to OHKO when fully healthy, so Jirachi either goes down to EQ or something else cleans it up.

Of course, this has also followed the trend of being SUPER useful for a game or two, and then Blissey/SpDef Jirachi fall off the face of the earth, only to be replaced by shit that doesn't care about this Dugtrio, as is my way in competitive Pokemon. That being said, the last slot is a little pointless right now. It's just kinda filler right now, to be perfectly honest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)