Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have basically gathered all of the gimmicks that I have used, don't completely suck, and I haven't seen anyone else post. Not all of them are that good, but they are at least decent enough to be at least considered as options.

The list got too long as a single post, so I'll probably be posting them daily starting with this one.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware/Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight/Softboiled
- Healing Wish
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock/Flamethrower

A support Clefable I came up with when I wanted Healing Wish on a team.

Healing Wish is better support for offensive teams than Wish and Heal Bell since it takes less time, creates a free switch, and heals before hazard damage (which means that pokemon that would normally die to hazards aren't dead for good if you can't find the opportunity to spin/defog). Some advantages over other Healing Wish users is that it is harder to wear down or ohko due to its abilities and recovery and can't be pursuit trapped, so it is much easier to use Clefable earlier in the match and still preserve it until you need Healing Wish.

The next thing to mention is the choice of ability. Unaware is likely the better option to be able to stop setup sweepers more effectively, but you give up reliable recovery in Rain or Sand and the offensive teams that you would use this on tend to carry revenge killers anyway. Magic Guard has some advantages such as acting as a status absorber and having a better matchup against offensive Deoxys-S, but then Clefable stops a much smaller pool of setup sweepers.

I have found Thunder Wave to be the best support option to go along with Healing Wish since it can cripple sweepers and gives the receiver a much easier time by facing a paralyzed opponent after coming in. Stealth Rock and Flamethrower are also options if your team lacks rocks or is weak to pokemon like Scizor or Excadrill.

Overall, I have found this to be a pretty neat set that has good defensive utility and the potential to turn around a battle.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Okay, I have basically gathered all of the gimmicks that I have used, don't completely suck, and I haven't seen anyone else post. Not all of them are that good, but they are at least decent enough to be at least considered as options.

The list got too long as a single post, so I'll probably be posting them daily starting with this one.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware/Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight/Softboiled
- Healing Wish
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock/Flamethrower

A support Clefable I came up with when I wanted Healing Wish on a team.

Healing Wish is better support for offensive teams than Wish and Heal Bell since it takes less time, creates a free switch, and heals before hazard damage (which means that pokemon that would normally die to hazards aren't dead for good if you can't find the opportunity to spin/defog). Some advantages over other Healing Wish users is that it is harder to wear down or ohko due to its abilities and recovery and can't be pursuit trapped, so it is much easier to use Clefable earlier in the match and still preserve it until you need Healing Wish.

The next thing to mention is the choice of ability. Unaware is likely the better option to be able to stop setup sweepers more effectively, but you give up reliable recovery in Rain or Sand and the offensive teams that you would use this on tend to carry revenge killers anyway. Magic Guard has some advantages such as acting as a status absorber and having a better matchup against offensive Deoxys-S, but then Clefable stops a much smaller pool of setup sweepers.

I have found Thunder Wave to be the best support option to go along with Healing Wish since it can cripple sweepers and gives the receiver a much easier time by facing a paralyzed opponent after coming in. Stealth Rock and Flamethrower are also options if your team lacks rocks or is weak to pokemon like Scizor or Excadrill.

Overall, I have found this to be a pretty neat set that has good defensive utility and the potential to turn around a battle.
Thunder Wave >>>>> Flamethrower on a Healing Wish set. SR should go too because defog is common and losing a SR setter before getting defogged is pretty bad.

Thunder Wave >>>>> Flamethrower on a Healing Wish set. SR should go too because defog is common and losing a SR setter before getting defogged is pretty bad.
Yeah, Flamethrower isn't that great. I was mainly thinking about keeping Excadrill from switching in for free and Mega Mawile from setting up a free sub, but you never reveal that you don't have Flamethrower until you Healing Wish anyway. I still think it's okay as long as your team has a weakness to pokemon hit by Flamethrower and you use Unaware, Thunder Wave is pretty much mandatory on Magic Guard though. As for Stealth Rock, Healing Wish is typically used late-game when Stealth Rock isn't that useful anymore. Even if it is more important than a Healing Wish, then just use Stealth Rock instead of Healing Wish...

I've decided to give up on posting daily, so I'm just going to post whenever I feel like it. This next one is not so great, but I still feel like it's an interesting idea.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 204 SAtk / 52 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head/Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Mixed SD Aegislash, not exactly the most sane use of Aegislash...

Basically the idea is to play it either like the all attacker set or the LO Swords Dance set with some benefits from both. Most importantly it can be used as a lure of sorts by bluffing one of those sets.

For example:
Chansey, SDef Hippo, or Conkeldurr will have to face a +2 Iron Head or Sacred Sword if they come in expecting a Shadow Ball and you SD instead.
If Skarmory, Quagsire, or Rotom-W come in expecting physical attacks after you've shown SD they eat a Shadow Ball.

I know that Head Smash can accomplish many of the same things, but Shadow Ball is a more reliable move overall due to lack of recoil and better accuracy and it allows you to 2hko Quagsire who would otherwise completely wall SD Aegislash.

Most of the time if your opponent doesn't have pokemon that this set can take advantage of, it just plays like the four attacks set, spamming Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak. It also has a bit more late game potential than all out attacker since it can setup a sweep with +2 Shadow Sneak. Sacred Sword, while much weaker than Iron Head, is a good option since it prevents Bisharp from switching in safely and hits Heatran and Ferrothorn much harder than Shadow Ball.

The speed EVs are to outrun min speed Scizor, but anything between 12 and 252 Spd EVs (taken from or given to SAtk) should be okay.

Obviously this set is pretty flawed since it is incredibly Bisharp weak, misses either Iron Head or Sacred Sword coverage, and has much less longevity. However, it can be pretty effective in the right situation.

Crumbler without KS, now that you point it out.

I suppose one could simply say that Aegislash can make further mind games happen and just straight-up not use King's Shield. Which makes me think... is Scarf Aegislash viable at all? Probably not, I just want a better opinion.

EDIT: Max Speed Scarf Aegislash is faster than base 114 pokes, which is something. The drop in bulk and priority probably makes it pretty bad though.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but is this not Crumbler w/ SD instead of SS/IH?
Not exactly, Crumbler doesn't run Max Attack and sometimes had Spooky Plate/Spell Tag over Life Orb.

Crumbler without KS, now that you point it out.

I suppose one could simply say that Aegislash can make further mind games happen and just straight-up not use King's Shield. Which makes me think... is Scarf Aegislash viable at all? Probably not, I just want a better opinion.
Yeah probably not, it doesn't have enough speed to outrun Greninja and doesn't like to go first against many things because of the way Stance Change works.

Also, Choice Scarf w/ 60 base speed? Not that great, the only other poke I saw in OU w/ Choice Scarf near there was ScarfTar, which is used for rather different.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 204 SAtk / 52 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head/Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Mixed SD Aegislash, not exactly the most sane use of Aegislash...

Basically the idea is to play it either like the all attacker set or the LO Swords Dance set with some benefits from both. Most importantly it can be used as a lure of sorts by bluffing one of those sets.

For example:
Chansey, SDef Hippo, or Conkeldurr will have to face a +2 Iron Head or Sacred Sword if they come in expecting a Shadow Ball and you SD instead.
If Skarmory, Quagsire, or Rotom-W come in expecting physical attacks after you've shown SD they eat a Shadow Ball.

I know that Head Smash can accomplish many of the same things, but Shadow Ball is a more reliable move overall due to lack of recoil and better accuracy and it allows you to 2hko Quagsire who would otherwise completely wall SD Aegislash.

Most of the time if your opponent doesn't have pokemon that this set can take advantage of, it just plays like the four attacks set, spamming Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak. It also has a bit more late game potential than all out attacker since it can setup a sweep with +2 Shadow Sneak. Sacred Sword, while much weaker than Iron Head, is a good option since it prevents Bisharp from switching in safely and hits Heatran and Ferrothorn much harder than Shadow Ball.

The speed EVs are to outrun min speed Scizor, but anything between 12 and 252 Spd EVs (taken from or given to SAtk) should be okay.

Obviously this set is pretty flawed since it is incredibly Bisharp weak, misses either Iron Head or Sacred Sword coverage, and has much less longevity. However, it can be pretty effective in the right situation.
This set is really good. Mixed Aegi is usually passed over but I totally see this doing work. 204 EV Shadow Ball hits really hard, and Swords Dance can boost Iron Head. The only problem I see however, is that kings shield is not on that set, which means you're basically a glass cannon after you attack once, so you'll how to switch out then back in to return back in shield form. I would just use KS over SS, and you're golden.

I've decided to give up on posting daily, so I'm just going to post whenever I feel like it. This next one is not so great, but I still feel like it's an interesting idea.
why was it me? :'(

I'm assuming this isn't common, because I haven't seen much of it.

Kyurem-B @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 atk/ 252 Speed or HP/ 4 Def or SpDef
Adamant Nature
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Fusion Bolt
-Zen Headbutt

I can't believe this isn't used more. It has an attack stat of 170, which tops that of many cover legendaries and mega evolutions. This is higher than the infamous Slaking, who was given his ability for his terrifying combination of attack and bulk. Not only does it have an amazingly uber-worthy attack stat, but it has awesome 125/100/90 defenses, letting it tank hits as well as outspeed many. Outrage is the best part of this set, allowing it to OHKO or at least severely damage anything that isn't resistant to dragon. It's best to use this if you've gotten rid of your opponents fairies, and for a best case scenario, steels too. Stone Edge is for coverage. Fusion Bolt is a unique move that is very helpful in Kyurem-B's arsenal, as it would allow it to take down a would-be counter to it, Skarmory. Zen Headbutt is best used as a counter against a type that is supereffective against ice, Fighting.

tl;dr This thing looks like a complete monster. I'm surprised that people aren't using this more often or wanting it to be banned.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Kyurem-B @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Fusion Bolt
-Zen Headbutt

I can't believe this isn't used more. It has an attack stat of 170, which tops that of many cover legendaries and mega evolutions. This is higher than the infamous Slaking, who was given his ability for his terrifying combination of attack and bulk. Not only does it have an amazingly uber-worthy attack stat, but it has awesome 125/100/90 defenses, letting it tank hits as well as outspeed many. Outrage is the best part of this set, allowing it to OHKO or at least severely damage anything that isn't resistant to dragon. It's best to use this if you've gotten rid of your opponents fairies, and for a best case scenario, steels too. Stone Edge is for coverage. Fusion Bolt is a unique move that is very helpful in Kyurem-B's arsenal, as it would allow it to take down a would-be counter to it, Skarmory. Zen Headbutt is best used as a counter against a type that is supereffective against ice, Fighting.

tl;dr This thing looks like a complete monster. I'm surprised that people aren't using this more often or wanting it to be banned.
Neither stone edge nor zen heabutt are good to be locked into. Dragon claw could be used instead of one of them as a more reliable version, and ice beam is a nice STAB, i know you are choice banded, but you still have a base 120 spatk which is good and ice beam is nice coverage.

Just saying, a SE Zen Headbutt hits for less damage than a STAB Outrage, with Zen having 160 while Outrage having 180. Wouldnt it be better to maybe put in Ice Beam for a ice STAB?

EDIT: Greninja'd

Kyurem-B @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Fusion Bolt
-Zen Headbutt

A neutral outrage does more damage than a super effective zen headbutt,making zen headbutt`s coverage redundant. You`re better off with either iron head for fairys or dragon claw for a reliable stab.

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
Victini @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 200 SDef / 248 HP / 60 Spd
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Bolt Strike
- V-create

Bulky-Support Victini:;

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 200+ SpD Victini: 299-354 (74.1 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With this spread victini kills the ninja with Bolt Strike.

Taunt is for the setter, wow is for lando-t, kion, gyarados, scizor...

V-Create the best STAB and bolt strike for greninja.

Kyurem-B @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Fusion Bolt
-Zen Headbutt

I'd hate to jump on the bandwagon, but this isn't the most ideal Cube Choice set. As someone who put random coverage moves on Pokemon in my early days (Dark Pulse Rotom-W/Chandelure) I can tell you the most of these aren't gonna be used often (Zen Headbutt being the prime example, even Ice Beam does more to MVenu thanks to Teravolt (And STAB))
Outrage... Is not a good move to be locked into. If there aren't any Faries or Steels you could just destroy ALL the things (That is a SCARY thought) however, nearly every team has at least one Fairy or Steel type. And the reason why CUbe isn't getting complained about more is because of the physical Movepool. It's shit. Believe me, Kyurem White got the better Movepool by FAR (KILL EVERYTHING WITH DRACO METEOR) also, Cube hates it's Ice typing, if only because it gives it 9001 more problems to deal with, and Zen Headbutt isn't gonna help with that, Especailly with Mach Punch being prevalent (Brelooms checks and counters are fading away). Okay tangent over
TL;DR Dragon Claw > Outrage, Ice Beam > Zen Headbutt.

Thinking about it, wouldn't Taunt be a good option on a Life Orb Keldeo? This way it can completely wreck Deosharp from first turn and it's not like Keldeo uses its fourth slot often. The ability to switch moves is also a good edge over Specs. It loses power and expecially longevity but i feel it can be dealt with.

Thinking about it, wouldn't Taunt be a good option on a Life Orb Keldeo? This way it can completely wreck Deosharp from first turn and it's not like Keldeo uses its fourth slot often. The ability to switch moves is also a good edge over Specs. It loses power and expecially longevity but i feel it can be dealt with.
I've had some great success with Taunt+Calm Mind on a bulky Keldeo variant; in conjunction with leftovers, I found that I could shrug off multiple resisted hits through leftovers recovery, and nabbing some boosts when the taunted opponent was forced out. As a result of the offensive pressure, and the fact that I rarely had to face something offensively without a CM, I didn't miss the Special Attack investment I shifted to HP.

Personally, I think this guy uses Taunt better than Greninja.

Taunt is a great answer for Gastrodon, CroCune and the rest of his supposed counters, as you can boost past their defensive chops within 2 turns. Granted, when I tried taunt on a fully offensive Life Orb Keldeo, I found that the opponent reacted differently when they saw the extra power I was packing. If we're to write off the psychology of "kill, don't cripple" when looking at a Life Orb sweeper who threatens a Status ailment, I'd still say it's an option over HP Flying.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Head Smash
First off, let me begin by saying this set is not Creative, it's on the analysis, but it is Underrated. This set is a very reckless Aegislash and has quickly grown to be my favorite Aegislash set by far, often being staple on a lot of my teams because of how great it is. Swords Dance Aegislash is often dismissed because people are using it wrong, they use it with King's Shield, which is really bad, StanceDance, as it's referred too. Aegislash can really wreck a lot of the OU metagame, and this Aegislash is no different. The amount of holes this thing punches is unbelieveable, either sweeping late game, breaking early game, or just plain helping out in the middle, Aegislash almost ensures something dies. You might think it's odd to run Shadow Sneak as your sole Ghost-type STAB move, but it's really powerful after a Swords Dance, it 2HKOes Heatran without entry hazards, while flat out OHKOing Deoxys-D after Stealth Rock. Iron Head is extremely powerful, so powerful in fact it has a chance to OHKO Gliscor after Stealth Rock at +2, which is really crazy. Head Smash is unconventional, but now I love using it! It's missed one out of the probably 25 or so times I used it, which could just be luck, but it really works. It lures in Mandibuzz and smashes it to pieces, along with Heatran and Charizards (if you predict correctly). This set can even wait to use Swords Dance to catch potential switches off guard. While Shadow Ball is often considered greater, it's as powerful as a +2 Shadow Sneak to put it into perspective, but it has priority at the expense of using a turn to Swords Dance. Shadow Claw can be fit on here for insane power, but all the current moves are very much needed. Another very viable option is Sacred Sword, which can 2HKO fucking Skarmory. Yeah, it's pretty insane. Overall, Swords Dance Aegislash kind of recieved a bad reputation, but it's certainly my favorite set and I hope you guys try it out sometimes, it works wonders!

Last edited:
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Thick Fat
252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Jolly
-Knock Off/Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Spear

The bold is what deviates from the standard set. I recommend having another Rocks setter on the team if you're going to use this Swine set.

First thing: Most if not all Mamoswine are walled to hell by Rotom-W. You can see the switch in from a mile away to hit it with Knock Off. This does about 40% damage with the added bonus of removing it's item.

Now Icicle Spear. I know, a move thay hits 2-5 times without Skill Link? Consider this:

-If you switch in on a Gliscor that uses Toxic on your switch, he can protect the next turn, then switch out, rinse and repeat until your Swine has expired from poison damage. But if it's behind a sub, Icicle Spear will destroy its sub then keep going and KO
>This exact trick works on subbing Whimsicott, although they're very rare.
>Breaking Dragonite's Multiscale if the opponent has managed to clear rocks, and then hitting it for further 4x damage is invaluable.
>You sometimes get the odd sashed trapping Dugtrio which IS takes care of.
>If you can hit Smeargle 3 or 4 times it will KO it through it's sash.
>M-Garchomp is just bulky enough to survive an Ice Shard so this is a welcome alternative. Don't forget about Yache Berry regular Garchomp.
>If SubPunch Breloom drops his Sub on the turn you switch in on him, Icicle Spear will break the sub and keep hitting at least one more time. You will have, at the very least, broken its focus, but considering Breloom's frailty you will most likely KO it.*

It has its risk but all in all there's a lot you can gain from running Icicle Spear instead.

*: Edited to include SubPunch Breloom.

Last edited:
Freeze Dry is actually viable to hit Rotom-W switches on Life Orb/Expert Belt sets as well:

16 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 143-172 (47 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Does over 90% to offensive Gyarados as well, and still 2HKOs any defensive Gyarados, and OHKOs Quagsire.

Those are its only 3 targets though, while Knock Off annoys pretty much everything in OU bar Terrakion and bulky megas.

Freeze Dry is actually viable to hit Rotom-W switches on Life Orb/Expert Belt sets as well:

16 SpA Life Orb Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W: 143-172 (47 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Does over 90% to offensive Gyarados as well, and still 2HKOs any defensive Gyarados, and OHKOs Quagsire.

Those are its only 3 targets though, while Knock Off annoys pretty much everything in OU bar Terrakion.
Yeah, thats exactly what I was going to say. While Freeze Dry is a good alternative for Rotom, most other Water types get hit hard by EQ any way. Plus, as you stated, Knock Off is great on pretty much anything coming off a LO Swine.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted

Those are its only 3 targets though, while Knock Off annoys pretty much everything in OU bar Terrakion and bulky megas.
What about Jellicent and Vaporeon? I think it would hit them pretty hard as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)