Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peng

hivemind leader
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hone Claws Garchomp is outclassed by Swords Dance. +2 Dragon Claw is stronger than +1 Dragon Rush and the flinch chance isn't enough to make it a better option. +2 Earthquake does almost exactly the same as +1 Iron Tail vs relevant fairies (86% vs 86.2% max vs 252 HP / 252 Def Clefable).

Hone Claws Garchomp is outclassed by Swords Dance. +2 Dragon Claw is stronger than +1 Dragon Rush and the flinch chance isn't enough to make it a better option. +2 Earthquake does almost exactly the same as +1 Iron Tail vs relevant fairies (86% vs 86.2% max vs 252 HP / 252 Def Clefable).
Hum, cool, I understand now, thanks.

Talonflame @ Safety Goggles / Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp / Tailwind
- Taunt

Smogon Bird has a decent support movepool in Wilo-O-Wisp, Tailwind, taunt and roost. With WoW and taunt it can outstall many support mons like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Chansey/Blissey, Mandibuzz and Togekiss. Priority roost is nice as recovery and basically removes need for speed investment. 252+ attack bravebird scores a KO on 252 HP/Def Whimscott after rocks 81% of the time, and allows it to clean house after the team's dedicated sweepers blow some holes.Tailwind can open up sweeps if the team's running another type of status or has a bulkier WoW user. Talonflame also has toxic but that doesn't cut attack so it's inferior to WoW.
Safety goggles allows it to bluff band, switch in on spore/sleep powder, and avoid sandstorm/hail damage. Leftovers gives more longitivity, but its very obvious.
Not quite sure about the HP/SpDef spread yet, I've seen spreads that went for max HP/SpDef, but brave bird becomes kinda weak since uninvested 81 base attack is lack luster.

~~The One and Only Lure Mew~~

Mew @ Expert Belt
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

With everybody running the lame stallbreaker Mew set nowadays I decided to take advantage of it and go with something nobody expects. People seem to forget that Mew learns nearly every move in the game and its stats are good enough to use them. Ice Beam destroys the likes of Landorus, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp, Lati@s, Thundurus, Hippowdon, Dragonite, Zapdos and what not. Low Kick OHKO's 252/0 Tyranitar and 2HKO's SpDef Heatran. Fire Blast defeats Scizor, Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Excadrill, Mega Pinsir, Breloom, Skarmory and Magnezone. Finally Thunderbolt lets you damage Azumarill, Keldeo, Talonflame, Gyarados, Greninja, Zard Y, Alomomola and Slowbro.

Granted the stallbreaker set deals with most of the same pokes by stalling them out, but this is more fun~~

All these strategies work, in RU and NU though and not OU. In OU Cincinno is kind of weak and way too easily walled to really be used. Gorebyss is OU viable but that set really isn't. When your set is Baton Pass, SHell Smash, Amnesia and Barrier you have way to many set up moves and you can be easily stopped. Therefore it will probably be better to use the standard Gorebyss set with Shell Smash, Baton Pass, water STAB and either Ice Beam or Substitute. As for Kangaskhan again it is really too weak to compete is OU and it's speed is subpar for OU standards. Welcome to the smogon forums :)
Yeah I thought of kangaskhan more, he's pretty weak. Maybe try a slower but stronger pokemon, add a sticky web, some reflect/light screen and memento Uxie, stealth rock(for focus sashes) and hope for the best. I'm still trying it out in UU. I'll post the final product when done :D ( Don't forget shell smash!)

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave

Yes, A Torn-t set without Knock off. Call the Poke-Police. While I understand that Knock off is a big draw to use Tornadus-T, Heat Wave is quite the move on it as well- It easily lures in Skarmory and Ferrothorn and can then dispose of them with Heat Wave. Also, With Torn-T being an uncommon pokemon in general, many people have thrown their Ttars at it only too be crushed by Superpower. The rest of the stuff on this set is pretty standard- Hurricane for stab, U-turn is an outstanding Move with regenerator to heal off LO and SR Damage and gain momentum. Obviously, this set is not too be used on designated rain teams despite getting 100% accuracy- Heat wave loses power, which is the main reason to use this set in the first place. It can, however, take advantage of opposing rain to rip apart teams with hurricane. post what you think below! Thanks

I was inspired by the set posted on the previous page, but wanted to give it a twist, and it makes wonders.

Vicious (Venomoth) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

He definitely loses his OU niche as QD passer, but the new role is an unexpected one, and that's the key of it.
I changed the nature in Timid to compensate the lack in speed investment (or maybe I made a mistake while breeding, who knows), and put Giga Drain instead of Baton Pass. This set works very alike the original one, except it loses the passing in favour of a coverage move that gives breath, not having this set any other form of recovery. The key to this set is how unpredictable it is, and many people get caught off guard (and this thing is really rage quit inducing).
I'm not going to say it's flawless; I always pair him with a screener, but with screens up is very easy to set up a QD and WP in the same turn, and at +3/+1 not only it gets quite fast, but very few things resist his blows. Once he's set up, he can tear the opposing team apart, lucking strong priorities.
Very fun to use.

alright so b4 u call me out on this i have had solid testing w/ it

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish/Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake/Aerial Ace/Dragon Claw
- Dragon Tail/Aerial Ace/Dragon Claw

basically wishmence. what the set does is that it can be fitted to your teams needs, with the only necessity being roost. it can beat some really big threats such as lando, keldeo, zard y, subDD mega gyara, and it can check some other threats depending on which moves you choose. speed jumps heracross, which can otherwise destroy the set w/ rock blast. sure, you may be saying "cbbnite is better" but hear me out. salamence has intimidate, wish, and speed to beat heracross. while the set does face competition from cbbnite, it has the niche of wish+intimidate. intimidate allows it to consistently wish, and the ability to counter lando, keldeo, and zard y, allows it to wish on them so it is consistent in the wishing department. the offensive presence it exerts also forces switches and allows it to wish then as well. so yes, this set may be a bit retarded/outdated, but i think it works well enough.

I've been fairly interested in this Diggersby set. I haven't used it to much success myself, but I believe it has potential.

Diggersby @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Swords Dance
- Return / Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Double Dance Diggersby. After an Agility boost, Diggersby is capable of outspeeding all common Scarf users and the entire unboosted Metagame. Threats which could tank its priority move and then OHKO it, such as Terrakion, are now defeated by a faster Earthquake. Diggersby still has the drawback of priority parading around the metagame and has trouble outspeeding other threats at +2, such as weather abusers.

alright so b4 u call me out on this i have had solid testing w/ it

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish/Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake/Aerial Ace/Dragon Claw
- Dragon Tail/Aerial Ace/Dragon Claw

basically wishmence. what the set does is that it can be fitted to your teams needs, with the only necessity being roost. it can beat some really big threats such as lando, keldeo, zard y, subDD mega gyara, and it can check some other threats depending on which moves you choose. speed jumps heracross, which can otherwise destroy the set w/ rock blast. sure, you may be saying "cbbnite is better" but hear me out. salamence has intimidate, wish, and speed to beat heracross. while the set does face competition from cbbnite, it has the niche of wish+intimidate. intimidate allows it to consistently wish, and the ability to counter lando, keldeo, and zard y, allows it to wish on them so it is consistent in the wishing department. the offensive presence it exerts also forces switches and allows it to wish then as well. so yes, this set may be a bit retarded/outdated, but i think it works well enough.
You could probably fit Defog on the set as well, which gives it another niche over Dragonite since it may very well work as a hazard control pokemon. I've played with this set before on PO UU, probably the better set would be Wish/Protect/Defog/Dtail or DBreath (lol para!) Protect does seem inferior to Roost at first glance but Salamence's typing is a double-edged sword and scouting an ice move from the likes of Keldeo and stuff may very well give your team a very solid member due to having a pretty long lifespan while playing with it.

Last edited:
Eelektross @ Sitrus Berry/Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
-Acid Spray
-Discharge
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot/ HP Ice

With a passable special attack stat, Eelektross seems pretty basic. However, with no weaknesses, it has ample time to set up with Acid Spray, then follow up with any of it's other moves. This set often forces switches, making it great to pair up with a pokemon like Forretress or Ferrothorn. It has excellent coverage, being able to take down most types with super effective damage, then all the rest with a move used after acid spray. One problem faced by Eelektross is that it is quite slow. It can't take a hit from many common OU threats, such as Mega-Garchomp or Kyurem-B.

ok this set is actually mine

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

offensive suicune. its a relic from adv, but hear me out. it has the bulk to set up several calm minds(only needs like 2~ to sweep, it has the typing and bulk to do this)and it has coverage. ice+water+electric is great coverage on OU. sure, it lacks reliable recovery, but thats what you have to trade in for good sweeping potential. it bewilders things expecting a more defensive suicune, so it also acts as a lure. notably, it beats every bulky water in the tier, as well as sand offense, so mega charizard x is a GREAT partner as it LOVES these issues resolved.

also you're a truly based motherfucker if u use offensive cune n_n

Last edited:
Cobalion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 148 Atk / 196 Def / 164 SpA
Lax Nature
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

I was looking pivots that could support my team when I thought of Cobalion. The existing sets that I found were not what I wanted. So I made this.
Can take hits, including a +1 mega gyrados's earthquake. It can paralyze those threats. It can hit hard (And rather fast, it is faster than I expected), and volt-switch away for momentum. Hp ice deals with 4X weaks rather well. CC can be a monster.

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
EVs: 148 Atk / 196 Def / 164 SpA
Lax Nature
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

I was looking pivots that could support my team when I thought of Cobalion. The existing sets that I found were not what I wanted. So I made this.
Can take hits, including a +1 mega gyrados's earthquake. It can paralyze those threats. It can hit hard (And rather fast, it is faster than I expected), and volt-switch away for momentum. Hp ice deals with 4X weaks rather well. CC can be a monster.
What are the spreads for in particular? What is it meant to live and what is it meant to kill? It can only check +1 M-Gyara cause M-Gyara outspeeds. This set seems pretty interesting. Do you have any replays showing off this mon in particular?

I have a quite interesting set of Chesnaught:
Chesnaught @Salac Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
-Belly Drum
-Substitute
-Seed Bomb
-Brick Break

Ches can put on a sub expecting a change or a status move, and then uses BD, activating salac berry and overgrow. Is a great late-game sweeper, but have a very important flaw, which is it's speed, that only reaches 373 points after salac berry boost, so it will only be able to outspeed base 120 non-scarf pokémon.

So... I had this idea:

Breloom @Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252Atk/ 252Speed/ 4HP
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Natural Gift
- Sword Dance

Now, this set is meant to lure in and beat Breloom's checks and counters specifically. Natural Gift is ran over spore, but its not much of a problem really. I figured coverage was more important. But check this though:

+2 252 Atk Lansat Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 364-430 (101.3 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Lansat Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Celebi: 318-376 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Lansat Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 272-324 (71.5 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Counters? Where dey at doe?

Last edited:
So... I had this idea:

Breloom @Lansat Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252Atk/ 252Speed/ 4HP
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Natural Gift
- Sword Dance

Now, this set is meant to lure in and beat Breloom's checks and counters specifically. Natural Gift is ran over spore, but its not much of a problem really. I figured coverage was more important. But check this though:

+2 252 Atk Lansat Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 364-430 (101.3 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Lansat Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Celebi: 318-376 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Lansat Berry Breloom Natural Gift (100 BP Flying) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 272-324 (71.5 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Counters? Where dey at doe?
Besides Venu, none of those are OU and none of those would be used on a serious team.
(And you hit Chest for neutral damage with Mach Punch anyway.)
Also, Spore > Swords Dance. Because while you can beat hurt some of Brelooms counters easily, it'll leave you screwed against Talonflame and Charizard. At least you can Spore them. (Hell, run Rock Tomb! It'll outright KILL Tal and hurt bulky XZard badly)
Plus, you only get to use Nat Gift ONCE. And it costs you your item slot.
Final Verdict: while not "Silly things you've seen in OU" material, it's pretty borderline
4/10 Not recommended

Besides Venu, none of those are OU and none of those would be used on a serious team.
Also, Spore > Swords Dance. Because while you can beat hurt some of Brelooms counters easily, it'll leave you screwed against Talonflame and Charizard. At least you can Spore them. (Hell, run Rock Tomb! It'll outright KILL Tal and hurt bulky XZard badly)
Final Verdict: while not "Silly things you've seen in OU" material, it's pretty borderline
4/10 Not recommended
On the contrary, Celebi and Chesnaught are ranked B and B- in the viability ranking thread, respectively. Chesnaught saw usage in WCoP as well, not sure if Celebi did but I've seen it put to good use in upper ladder matches. Usage != viability.

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 67-81 (17.6 - 21.3%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

What's this supposed to accomplish lol

Besides Venu, none of those are OU and none of those would be used on a seriit. And doesnt that "You waste an itemslot" argu, ent apply to running Sash? Hazards are up, you basically dont havr an oteus team.
4/10 Not recommended
Without SD, theres no way you can OHKO Mega Saur. You pretty much need Bullet Seed/ Mach Punch, so I decided against running Spore.

On the contrary, Celebi and Chesnaught are ranked B and B- in the viability ranking thread, respectively. Chesnaught saw usage in WCoP as well, not sure if Celebi did but I've seen it put to good use in upper ladder matches. Usage != viability.
Should of done my fact checking :/
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 67-81 (17.6 - 21.3%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

What's this supposed to accomplish lol
Well it's a PHYSICLLY defensive mon vs a PHYSICAL attacker. That's like saying that you should carry Focus Blast on Heatran for Chansey. (Plus most Heatran run Stone Edge for Zard/Tal... This is where my anology dies)
Without SD, theres no way you can OHKO Mega Saur. You pretty much need Bullet Seed/ Mach Punch, so I decided against running Spore.
which is why it's a counter. Why try work around a counter when it makes the set less viable? Sure you suprise them, but chances are you'll be KO'd by Sludge Bomb/Psychic/Wutever
And don't forget Charizard/Talonflame. Ever.
It's use personal opinion :/

Should of done my fact checking :/

Well it's a PHYSICLLY defensive mon vs a PHYSICAL attacker. That's like saying that you should carry Focus Blast on Heatran for Chansey. (Plus most Heatran run Stone Edge for Zard/Tal... This is where my anology dies)

which is why it's a counter. Why try work around a counter when it makes the set less viable? Sure you suprise them, but chances are you'll be KO'd by Sludge Bomb/Psychic/Wutever
And don't forget Charizard/Talonflame. Ever.
It's use personal opinion :/
lol you're missing the entire purpose of the set

it's a lure.

it's designed to OHKO breloom's otherwise hard counters. you can be pretty damn sure your opp will bring their mega venusaur (or chesnaught) in on your breloom if they've got one. removing m-venusaur opens up a huge gap for your keldeo / azumarill / mega gyarados / +2 breloom to start taking lives.

Lucario
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Tail
- Stone Edge/Ice Punch/Extremespeed
- Hone Claws

Here's another Hone Claws set. HJ-Kick and Iron Tail STAB + some filler, like Ice Punch to deal with Ground-type... The only problem here is the Speed.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Chesnaught @ Salac Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Brick Break
- Seed Bomb

Belly Drum Chesnaught. Sub against someone you force out, then Belly Drum as they try to break your sub. Then the Salac Berry will activate and now you have a monster at +1 Speed and +6 Attack. Although you die to most priority >.<

Huge issue, @ +1 w/ 252+ spe, you reach 373.5 spe (I'm guessing this is truncated, so really 373), and guess what Crobat's speed is with full investment? 374. Yeah. Good luck w/ that 4x weakness. Also, you get outsped by ScarfDrei, ScarfTini (don't know if people use it), ScarfRachi, ScarfNape.. that is to say, almost all scarfers.

Huge issue, @ +1 w/ 252+ spe, you reach 373.5 spe (I'm guessing this is truncated, so really 373), and guess what Crobat's speed is with full investment? 374. Yeah. Good luck w/ that 4x weakness. Also, you get outsped by ScarfDrei, ScarfTini (don't know if people use it), ScarfRachi, ScarfNape.. that is to say, almost all scarfers.
Err, nobody uses Crobat anyways... And any Scarfer with above 60 Speed outspeeds it, Salac Berry is +1 and Choice Scarf is +1. Plus, that set is very inconsistent and really outclassed by any other set up sweeper. Azumarill, for example, outclasses it in Belly Drum (although, AV is still better). Not a very good set, but just posting to clarify this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)