Cresselia

Stratos

Banned deucer.
DO NOT discuss tiering-related concerns in this thread or you will be infracted (this means no talking about banning it, we have another thread for that) also does anyone actually want to ban this thing LOL

Cresselia Analysis

This is a discussion thread for all things Cresselia-related. Some ideas for discussion topics are:
  • What sets do you like to run / have you tested out on Cresselia?
  • What teams do you like to run Cresselia on, and with what partners?
  • What do you use to check Cresselia?
  • What effect does Cresselia have on the meta, in your opinion? (avoid saying "it has a good/bad effect" please)
  • Anything else Cresselia-related! :)
Don't feel the need to address all of these if you post here—in fact, I'd kind of rather you not, just let discussion flow naturally. These are just ideas. Happy posting!

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 108 Def / 180 SAtk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Moonlight
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

More offensive than most Cresselia, this set is used to turn HO team's speed against them. She's still hella tanky, but can actually put some pressure on the opponent offensively under Trick Room. Moveset is self-explanatory.

I'm glad to see some Cresselia discussion start up. Been one of my favorites since DPP (albeit when I only played VGC).

I doubles, she's still queen. She has a niche in singles, sort of. She's just so tanky.

And I have no Cresselia checks. So few people use her anymore.

And Heatran is probably my no. 1 choice of partner.

Edit: Fuck me this is doubles.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I guess I'll start this thread off by saying that I've found an interesting trend with Cresselias: the more offensive your team is, the more defensive your cress, and vice-versa! Only offensive teams can get away with a cress like hh / icy wind / light screen without being, pardon the pun, a sitting duck for substitute users.

As I like to run a lot of bulkier Pokemon, I tend to need more offensive Cresselias. Its generic bulk is too invaluable to pass up (seriously it can tank basically any one hit in the game no questions asked—except mega hera pin missile) but i find its support options a lot less useful than being able to snipe important threats. Hence the set I rave about:

Cresselia @ Expert Belt
Quiet
Levitate
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
0 Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- HP Ground
- Trick Room

DAMN RIGHT, OTR CRESS. 75 BASE SPECIAL ATK $WAGGER. This set partnered up with an Amoonguss is straight up amazing. Cress can take basically any hit and set Trick Room, and Amoonguss under trick room is one of the biggest threats in the game. In addition, the cress serves as a catch-all answer to the tier's many ice- and psychic- weak pokemon like landog, Latios, Top, Amoonguss. Maximized Psychic actually does surprisingly decent damage vs neutrals too. HP ground is to keep the set from being setup bait for Heatrans.

Psychic should always be run over psyshock on offensive cress because the one can break Cube subs and the other cannot. In addition, many amoonguss and top EV to live LO Latios psyshock but leave special untouched, so it may hit them harder too.

Rosenfeldius interesting EVs, what for?

This is a copy of my post on the creative sets thread but I figure it belonged here as well, also added some stuff n things

This is a pretty cool support Cresselia set I've been using, it runs trick room just to shut off opposing trick room on my team, but this set can just as easily fit onto a team running full/partial trick room.
I use Skill Swap alongside Mega Charizard Y to activate drought again without being forced to switch Charizard out and back in, however more often I use it on opponents like Heatran, Mega Kangaskhan, Kingdra, and Mega Mawile who rely heavily on their abilities. Seriously, Skill Swap is such a strong move and I use it almost everytime I send in Cress.
Moonlight is also boosted by the sun and Psyshock is there for a STAB move :].

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Moonlight
- Psyshock
- Skill Swap

as for "anything else cress related" cress has the best shiny sprite imo :3

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Cresselia @ Chesto Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Rest

One cresselia set that I know youngjake and I have been using for quite a while was the defensively bulky cm cress. Despite the fact that everyone seems to hate the set and consider it unviable, it has a decent niche in the fact that it can set up on almost the whole tier bar the most powerful dark types and/or gene and even then it adds pressure to your opponent by forcing them to double target cress which gives your partner free turns. Cress is able to effectively set up calm minds due to its unrivaled bulk. TR is there as an emergency answer to opposing tr or to set up my own tr if I run semi tr. Moonblast provides the best mono attacking coverage and cresselia is essentially unkillable after a cm or two unless you're Level 51 or the likes.

edit: <&Phwnemon> i begrudgingly admit that a well played cm cresselia is a legitimate threat

Pwnemon it's my VGC set from a year or so ago that I tailored more towards singles. Sort of. The EVs are actually pretty simple, to make it tankier than pretty much anything that isn't another Cresselia, and so it won't be so damn weak. I used to use swagger in place of moonlight for VGC, but it's banned on PS now.

I actually just didn't feel like changing the old EVs to handle new threats in XY. Should probably do that sometime.

As for double partners, I have to say Substitute Garchomp. They work so damn well together. Also, Wolfe Glick's VGC 2012 Skill Swap set is fun as hell to use.

This is how most people deal with Cresselia imo
-If obvious TR lead, I lead with my Taunter/Cress killer/at least Fake Out or Spore user
-If not turn 1 against TR, then probably ignore it and focus on its partner that is actually capable of significant dmg until it does something like Calm Mind, Helping Hand to net a surprise KO, Thunder Wave crippling one of my mons, surprise semi-TR, surprise HP Ground/Moonblast, Safeguard-cockblock something, set-up weather, E-Belt Ice Beam kill something, or something else and then realize Cress is a bitch that demands your attention. Too bad the Cress user has basically already accomplished their goal once they've convinced you to attack Cress instead of the mon killing you because Cress does not go down easily.

while i find all of these sets great and all very useful. i have always believed that cresselias main reason for being used so much is that it can be molded to fit virtually any team. it can run tr for semi tr and full tr teams. expert belt/choice specs, hh, icy wind, t wave. pretty much every team will be able to find a way to use cresselia because its bulk makes it so damn good at everything it can do. so rather than simply posting sets of cress and stating their goodness. it might be more beneficial to others to state the rest of the team used and why that particular cress (e.g. cm cress) was used over support or OTR cress.

Swagger is only banned for Singles OU Rosenfeldius

CM Cress is still my favorite set for the single reason that it doesn't HAVE to be at +6. I often will gain a single boost with a 252/252 Defense Bold Bulk set just for the SpDef boost. Cress is freaking unkillable after a boost, which helps it get up TR or TWave or whatever you're running.

Swagger is only banned for Singles OU Rosenfeldius

CM Cress is still my favorite set for the single reason that it doesn't HAVE to be at +6. I often will gain a single boost with a 252/252 Defense Bold Bulk set just for the SpDef boost. Cress is freaking unkillable after a boost, which helps it get up TR or TWave or whatever you're running.
Articblast told me and I was so happy I nearly creamed myself. I am so sad that she is no longer in VGC for 2014... Guess I better start doubles then

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pwnemon's offensive Cresselia set is gold. Do not underestimate 75 SpA; that shit will fuck you up if you're not prepared. If you typically rely on frailer Taunters (*cough*Thundurus-I*cough*) you're in for a real treat; instead of Trick Rooming, it will instantly deal a hefty 50+% to your Pokemon, pretty much either taking you down or forcing you out. What a beast.

Cresselia is a really important Pokemon for the Doubles metagame; it makes up a large part of everything we call "Trick Room", and with Thunder Wave and Icy Wind as well, is a master of Speed control. Its supreme bulk makes it one of the best supporters in the game, as it isn't going down quickly and will make long lasting impressions on the outcome of matches. This has been mentioned but Cresselia is really common because of this; almost everything enjoys the support that it can bring.

In terms of counter Cresselia, all you can really do is just repeatedly hit it or hit it with powerful STAB super effective moves, and both become increasingly more difficult when you face more experienced players. The great thing about Cresselia is that, like many other support Pokemon, taking it down almost always requires a loss on your side; it may not be a physical damage or Pokemon loss, but with all of the crippling tools in its arsenal, Cresselia will make sure that its killer is crippled beyond use before it itself goes down, making it frustrating to face. A lot of people make the silly mistake of assuming that all it takes is Taunt to stop Cress, and that is complete bogus.

For partners, Pwnemon already mentioned Amoonguss, which seems to be Cresselia's new bff, but Ground-types are great partners for Cresselia too, because they efficiently remove Bisharps that try to counter Cress with Knock Off. It's a great combination because Cresselia still allows them offensive freedom; they can easily spam their Earthquakes, and even benefits from Cress's Helping Hand to deal devastating damage.
Arcticblast note: don't use Lando-T for this purpose or you still get fucked by Bisharp

Also, as a fun side note, Skill Swap Cress + Heatran is a fun combination, especially under Trick Room, where you don't have to be afraid of Ground-types that might attack you first.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG DOUBLES IS SO GOOD Fuck singles forever okay SO

I've been wreaking total havoc with these sets, srsly have not lost a match yet:

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 220 HP / 108 Def / 180 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Swagger
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Atk
Careful Nature
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

I hate Aegislash in Singles but in Doubles... This set you guys. Lemme explain.

King's Shield, unlike Protect, does not block status, as you all know. SO. Swagger is not blocked. Lum Berry prevents confusion. So, first turn King's Shield or Swords Dance, whatever, and Trick Room or Swagger dat Slash.

So what you have is a +4 Aegislash still in defense form. Proceed to Shadow Sneak dem bitches. Cresselia can clean up most grounds and whatnot that threaten Aegislash like Garchomp without much of a problem.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haha, that's a cool perk of King's Shield that you took advantage, mate :d You may want to consider Safeguard over Psyshock for the same reason you mentioned (King's Shield doesn't protect Aegis from the opponent's Wisps). Safeguard also means multiple Swagger abuse to pump up Aegislash's attack even more. This may let you forego Swords Dance for better offensive coverage, such as Gyro Ball/Iron Head/Shadow Claw

Why a specially defensive spread on Aegislash? Go Brave with max Atk imo. It already tank most hits fine even without investment, and you're using Aegislash as a TR sweeper rather than a bulky pivot anyways.

Haha, that's a cool perk of King's Shield that you took advantage, mate :d You may want to consider Safeguard over Psyshock for the same reason you mentioned (King's Shield doesn't protect Aegis from the opponent's Wisps). Safeguard also means multiple Swagger abuse to pump up Aegislash's attack even more. This may let you forego Swords Dance for better offensive coverage, such as Gyro Ball/Iron Head/Shadow Claw

Why a specially defensive spread on Aegislash? Go Brave with max Atk imo. It already tank most hits fine even without investment, and you're using Aegislash as a TR sweeper rather than a bulky pivot anyways.
I shall try Safeguard.

And it was just the suggested spread on Showdown, I was too lazy to figure out something more ideal

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Helping Hand
- Protect/Safeguard
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
This is the set I am using for Cress and It is doing decently well. I have Thunder Wave to cripple slow bulky sweepers and is annoying. Helping hand makes Other Physical threats extra strong and being able to abuse levitate for Earthquake spamming. Ice beam is for killing the powerful and Common Ground types in this tier. Pairing with with a priority user (Azu,Breloom,Bisharp,Talon) makes their attacks devastating. Protect is for uhhh... Yeah I should start using safeguard on this thing. Safeguard protects your team from trolly pokemon that try to will-o-wisp your entire team.
Feel Free to give suggestions! :)

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Helping Hand
- Protect/Safeguard
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
This is the set I am using for Cress and It is doing decently well. I have Thunder Wave to cripple slow bulky sweepers and is annoying. Helping hand makes Other Physical threats extra strong and being able to abuse levitate for Earthquake spamming. Ice beam is for killing the powerful and Common Ground types in this tier. Pairing with with a priority user (Azu,Breloom,Bisharp,Talon) makes their attacks devastating. Protect is for uhhh... Yeah I should start using safeguard on this thing. Safeguard protects your team from trolly pokemon that try to will-o-wisp your entire team.
Feel Free to give suggestions! :)
I'd suggest a STAB move anywhere in the set. Having a STAB is great as it will be your only reliable way of doing damage. If you want to keep an Ice move you can try Icy Wind over Ice Beam and you'll have a free slot where Thunder Wave was previously, which could be used for a Psych type STAB. You should also optimize your EV spread, the best one I know is 240 HP / 12 Def (Survives LO Sharp Knock Off) and the rest wherever you want. This is what the set should look like. Also Leftover is good on cress but it's not your best option, you can run Sitrus or Safety Goggles, on this specific set I'd rather run Sitris since your main job is to provide constant speed control and Safety Goggles wouldn't help too much with that. Sitrus is generally better than Leftovers in Doubles since dubs doesn't have enough turns for lefties to be effective.

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 12 Def / whatever
Calm Nature
- Helping Hand
- Safeguard
- Icy Wind
- Psyshock / Psychic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)