Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/488.shtml

-------------------------------

[Overview]
  • Amazing defenses allow it to counter some of the generations top threats such as Doryuuzu and Cloyster.
  • Can aid sweeping immensely by being a great dual screener.
  • SCan prevent sweeps with a Psycho Shift set.
  • Although Psychic is not the best defensive typing, its defenses still allow it to survive even the strongest super effective hits.
  • Its speed is not the best, meaning it will generally have to take a hit or two before being able to counter.
  • The biggest hinderence is its awful offenses. Base 75 Sp.Atk does not cut it and has to rely on boosting to do serious damage to other Pokemon.
[SET]
name: Bulky CMer
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Ice Beam/Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: Ice Beam/Moonlight/Reflect
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 100 HP / 252 Def / 156 Sp.Atk

Set Comments:
  • Can come in and beat a lot of top threats, or at least boost alongside and beat them.
  • Psychic is for general power which it badly needs, Hidden Power is to hit Doryuuzu super effectively and 2HKO after a boost. It also beats Cloyster.
  • Ice Beam is to beat the majority of dragons, almost all are 2hko'd after a boost (exceptions being Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram and Kingdra).
  • Reflect allows Cresselia to take even super effective physical hits rather well, while Moonlight is there for recovery in a pinch.
Additional Comments:
  • Ice Beam is recommended in the 4th slot for the best coverage, since Reflect can be rather situational, and Moonlight is almost rendered useless by the ever-present weather.
Teammates & Counters:

• Tyranitar in general is one of the best counters to this set. It isn't 2HKO'd by HP Fighting in sandstorm, and can easily 2HKO Cress with almost all of its sets.
  • Dark types in general are good counters to this set, since they find an easy switch in on Psychic and can hit Cresselia with STAB super effective moves.
  • As a result, Korabuon makes a fantastic teammate for Cresselia. Not only does it resist Dark moves with a 4x resistance, if it manages to switch into a Dark move it gains an Attack boost due to Heart of Justice. It also so happens to have near perfect defensive synergy with Cresselia, with it resisting all of the weaknesses Cresselia has.
[SET]
name: Psycho Shift
move 1: Psycho Shift
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Trick/Ice Beam
item: Flame Orb
nature: Calm
evs: 100 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 156 Sp.Atk

Set Comments:
  • Able to come in on physical sweepers, hinder them with Psycho Shift and allow a sweeper to come in and wreak havoc.
  • Psychic and Ice Beam are there to deal extra damage to opponents, mainly Dragons and Guts sweepers such as Roopushin.
  • Light Screen allows it to tank special attacks even better.
Additional Comments:
  • Special Attack EV's have been placed on this so it can do some decent damage without relying on burn damage.
  • Trick is recommended over Ice Beam due to it giving increased survivability to Cresselia, however if you want to be able to check a broader amount of Pokemon Ice Beam should be preferred.
Teammates & Counters:

• Tyranitar again is a large threat to this set even if it is burned, since Cresselia can do next to no damage to it.
  • Physical Fire sweepers, such as Hihidaruma, pose a large threat as Cresselia can't burn them, and can hit it with a boosted Flare Blitz for large amounts of damage.
  • Kerudio is a very nice team-mate due to resisting both of the aforementioned threats.
[Team Options]
  • Support: The Calm Minder appreciates Toxic Spikes mainly for Chansey, as it plain walls the set. Forretress is good for this as it resists all of the weaknesses Cresselia has. It can also set up Stealth Rock and Spikes to help the cause. For the Psycho Shift set however, Toxic Spikes should NOT be used as it conflicts with the Burn that Creselia will be dishing out, so just stick to the other two entry hazards.
  • Offensive Complements: Cresselia can quite easily beat the majority of Pokemon just because of its sheer bulk. The Pokemon that give it a lot of trouble are Scizor, Tyranitar, Urugamosu and Sazando with Dark Pulse. Generally against all these Pokemon barring Urugamosu, a Steel type is warranted. A good offensive partner is Heatran, who beats Scizor and Urugamosu rather easily, and can beat Sazando with a Scarf Dark Pulse and as long as the dragon isn't carrying either Surf or Earth Power. Tyranitar is a lot more of a tougher proposition as not a lot can switch into it. This means that arguably the best team-mates for Cresselia are any of the new Fighting quartet, Kobaruon, Kerudio, Birijion and Terakion. All of these can take on Tyranitar with ease, and depending on which one can beat the others, for example Terakion beats Urugamosu, Kobaruon beats Scizor, Kerudio beats Sazando.
  • In a defensive combo, any bulky Fighting type that isnt weak to Bug generally works. A good recommendation is Kobaruon since it can take almost all assaults against Cresselia (Urugamosu is a large exception) and vice-versa.
[Optional Changes]
  • Dual Screens can be used to set up a sweep with Lunar Dance.
  • Variation of Hidden Powers to tailor your teams needs.
  • Thunder Wave if your team especially appreciates Paralysis support.
[Counters]
  • Tyranitar, Scizor.
  • Urugamosu, Arigudaa.
  • Heatran.
  • Darkrai..
[Dream World]
  • Cresselia has no Dream World ability.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
Ok finally done, would like some critique on this please since it is my first one. May do a Dual Screen set later instead of putting it on OC.

Content-wise, please shorten the paragraph explanations of Team Options, these are meant to be concise bullet points. You also need to elaborate on the Counters section; just listing a Pokemon's name tells the reader absolutely nothing useful at all, so try to explain briefly why that Pokemon counters Cresselia.

Otherwise, format is fine, fixed some spacing, marked as done.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does the power difference on Psychic vs. Psycho Shock net any KOs or open up favorable situations?

If not Psycho Shock would be infinitely superior for dealing with Blissey and most special walls.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really can't see Bulky CMer going anywhere without recovery. It can't do much damage without multiple CMs, and by then you've gotten 5 or 6 good hits on it.

Psycho Shift's probably still terrible too.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
1) Where's the support set?
2) Is there a more efficient EV spread for the "Bulky CMer" set?
3) Doesn't Psycho Shift usually run ResTalk?
4) I'd suggest a SubCM set as well (Cresselia can make 101 HP Substitutes and makes for a decent stallbreaker).

Also the Bulky CMer really wants Rest.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
Does the power difference on Psychic vs. Psycho Shock net any KOs or open up favorable situations?

If not Psycho Shock would be infinitely superior for dealing with Blissey and most special walls.
I completely forgot about Psycho Shock lol, i'll put that in.

I really can't see Bulky CMer going anywhere without recovery. It can't do much damage without multiple CMs, and by then you've gotten 5 or 6 good hits on it.

Psycho Shift's probably still terrible too.
Yeah Psycho Shift isn't good but the Bulky CMer easily beats some of the top threats at the moment, as I already mentioned, such as Cloyster and Doryuuzu, and pretty much every non legend dragon. That was the reason I made the set and it does pretty good in that role.

1) Where's the support set?
2) Is there a more efficient EV spread for the "Bulky CMer" set?
3) Doesn't Psycho Shift usually run ResTalk?
4) I'd suggest a SubCM set as well (Cresselia can make 101 HP Substitutes and makes for a decent stallbreaker).

Also the Bulky CMer really wants Rest.
1) I'm probably going to put in a Dual Screen set, just because I think it will be more effective than Psycho Shift. Other than that, I think things like Thunder Wave can be mentioned in OC.
2) If you can find me a more efficient EV spread then feel free to post it, though it does need the special attack EV's since it doesn't 2HKO Doryuuzu at +1 without them.
3) I'll be honest i've never seen a Cress with ResTalk but i'll try it out and edit in if I find it better than the current set.
4) Will do some testing on that too.

I didn't put in Rest because, in my opinion it needs a STAB move and at least 1 coverage attack. I might slash it but losing a move means it flat out loses to a large portion of Pokemon.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I didn't put in Rest because, in my opinion it needs a STAB move and at least 1 coverage attack. I might slash it but losing a move means it flat out loses to a large portion of Pokemon.
You can still run Calm Mind/Rest/Psychic/HP Fighting; Cresselia doesn't need Sleep Talk since she can survive the rest without it most of the time.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Psycho Shift isn't good but the Bulky CMer easily beats some of the top threats at the moment, as I already mentioned, such as Cloyster and Doryuuzu, and pretty much every non legend dragon. That was the reason I made the set and it does pretty good in that role.
I think it has merit to have a bulky Cresselia set that can handle all those top threats, but Calm Mind doesn't do it any favors when it needs multiple boosts over time to have an offensive presence, which requires Rest. I would rather see some support move (Thunder Wave, Reflect, Trick + Choice, etc) over Calm Mind, and do make sure it can't do something Uxie can do better since Uxie does have a bigger support movepool.

If you do keep Calm Mind, I would put Rest on there. I mean, worst case scenario is DDTar comes in, and then gets a DD, but then you wake up and Grass Knot it.

About the EVs: They look completely random. Boosting HP first is always the best choice for Cresselia unless you are aiming to survive something specific.

SubCM sounds alright at first but then you realize Cresselia can never 2HKO Blissey at +6 without Special Defense falls from Psychic, and that just sucks. Now Psycho Shift, that's a different matter entirely and might make the set that much better. Edit: actually the more I think about it the more it sounds great, Sub protects from Tyranitar Pursuit (kind of) and generally makes Cresselia able to deal with more Pokemon than it normally can.

Technically, these analysis's are supposed to be geared towards a no ban environment according to the rules (I know most of them aren't). The only reason im pointing this thread out is that Cresselia is actually good in Ubers and your missing its two best sets, Uber Wall / Support and Duel Screen. These two sets definitely need analysis's IMO, and can be found at cress's DP page. http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/cresselia

Chris is Me said:
SubCM sounds alright at first but then you realize Cresselia can never 2HKO Blissey at +6 without Special Defense falls from Psychic, and that just sucks. Now Psycho Shift, that's a different matter entirely and might make the set that much better. Edit: actually the more I think about it the more it sounds great, Sub protects from Tyranitar Pursuit (kind of) and generally makes Cresselia able to deal with more Pokemon than it normally can.
It can 2HKO Blissey at +6 with Psycho Shock, though.

I have been using Ubers Cresselia with a good amount success. Would you mind if I were to write up a set with Ubers in mind specifically? You have forgotten to mention several important points. One of the major selling points of Cresselia is that it is THE best Groudon counter in the game. It can also beat Life Orb Rayquaza fairly easily, OHKOing after rocks and Life Orb recoil, and makes a good Psycho Break Mewtwo check (sets that use Fire Blast can beat though). So far I have really been enjoying the following set: Ice Beam / Moonlight / Toxic / Magic Coat. Magic Coat keeps Cresselia from being absolute setup bait for everything (one of her greatest weaknesses).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)