Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 3 Spd
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic

This guy can switch-in on Close Combat if at full health and stuff, afterwards, he can set up TR and kill Drifblim given some prior damage. It has no chance of switching in to any other moves but Sawk's CC and Ice Punch, and it doesn't knock out Driflblim, so this is where my next mon comes into place.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Nature Power
This thing can come in on the Driflblim at all times, lure Close Combat and Ice Punch, as well as stoping the Sawk from switching in as it will get OHKOed by the combination of Seed Bomb+Sucker Punch

252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sawk: 196-231 (67.35 - 79.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sawk: 98-116 (33.67 - 39.86%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifblim: 588-694 (133.33 - 157.36%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Duosion Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 398-470 (136.76 - 161.51%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah that's pretty much it. One mon itself might be considered a counter, but i put both to make sure since the definition of counter is very loose.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk (Neutral) Stone Edge / Earthquake vs 252HP/4Def Eviolite Duosion (Neutral): 54% - 64% (184 - 217 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk (Neutral) Stone Edge vs 0HP/0Def Eviolite Shiftry (Neutral): 74% - 88% (240 - 283 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
So what happens if Sawk uses Stone Edge? I know it's not accurate, but you do not have a safe switch-in to Sawk at all. At least have Regenerator on Duosion (might be too late).

Drifblim may also not be tempted to switch out of Shuftry due to Sucker Punch being your only effective move on Drifblim. Drifblim's speed advantage also forces Shiftry to play along with Blimp's mindgames.
252Atk Life Orb Shiftry (+Atk) Seed Bomb vs 0HP/0Def Drifblim (Neutral): 33% - 39% (147 - 174 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
252SpAtk Ghost Gem Flare Boost Drifblim (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 0HP/4SpDef Shiftry (Neutral): 35% - 42% (114 - 135 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
While Seed Bomb 3HKOes, so does boosted Shadow Ball (via Ghost Gem or Calm Mind), and it can either Calm Mind in your face and/or Substitute to stall out Life Orb damage while dodging Sucker Punch. Shiftry cannot risk failing to attack/break the Sub as it will otherwise eat another Shadow Ball to the face. Even if Drifblim goes down, if Duosion was struck beforehand by Stone Edge/Earthquake, Sawk can simply clean up with CB Earthquake.

Edit: Bahaha. Seems as if Punchshroom beat me to, well, the punch. No matter. Back to finding a normal type that can conclusively 1HKO Drifblim... xD
Sadly, I don't think the above counter holds, since
252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk (Neutral) Stone Edge vs 252HP/4Def Eviolite Duosion (Neutral): 54% - 64% (183 - 216 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk (Neutral) Stone Edge vs 0HP/0Def Shiftry (Neutral): 74% - 88% (240 - 283 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
So, the worst case scenario is when Sawk is in and uses Stone Edge on whatever. Duosion can't even hurt Sawk at all before it dies, and Shiftry gets off a negligible Sucker punch before it falls. But Duosion gets in for free, and proceeds to set up a TR. Sawk falls next turn to Psychic, but Duosion as at best 46% HP, and cannot OHKO Drifblim before Duosion is easily destroyed.
252SpAtk Ghost Gem Drifblim (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 252HP/0SpDef Eviolite Duosion (Neutral): 93% - 110% (312 - 368 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 60% chance to OHKO.
252SpAtk Duosion (+SAtk) Shadow Ball vs 0HP/0SpDef Drifblim (Neutral): 69% - 81% (306 - 360 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
Of course, there could be a bit of hax involved, if Sawk misses any of his first two SE's the core survives, but that probability is low enough for me to claim that those two sets do not form a true counter.

Punchshroom

Edit: Bahaha. Seems as if Punchshroom beat me to, well, the punch.
Hmph.

Well good luck with the Normal hunt. Considering even max Attack Adamant Skunk's Crunch OHKOes Blimp only 90% of the time, few Normal types can claim to match, much less exceed that power while forgoing its boosting item to avoid getting brutalized by Close Combat.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Gardevoir and Murkrow

I have it - It'll be tight and requires prediction skills like mad (and a little bit of luck) from the controlling player.

Gardevoir @ Expert belt

Timid Nature
252 Sp.A / 252 Sp.Def / 4Spe
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Memento
- Will O Wisp

Murkrow @ Eviolite

252HP / 252def / 4atk
Adamant
Prankster
-Taunt
-Sucker Punch
-Brave Bird
-Roost (You may be able to Roost stall Stone Edge's PP)

Assuming Sawk is first

Switch in Gardevoir to eat the well played Stone Edge. (88% max)
Then one of two things could happen
Switch to Drifblim
Then you'd have to use Thunderbolt as it switches in)
0 SpA Expert Belt Gardevoir Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Drifblim: 228-269 (51.7 - 60.99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you outspeed it by 1 point (Gardes 216 vs Blims 215) to get the 2hko

Then you proceed to beat Sawk with Psychic.

If Sawk Stays in
you need a Higher than medium roll, (I think it was a 43.25% chance or soemthing) to OHKO. If you don't get it then you can bring Murkrow in for free to Brave Bird (or even Sucker Punch [Sucker Punch: 17.86 - 21.3%]

Once Sawk has been Felled, beating Drifblim is easy.
If you still have Gardevoir Thunderbolt as it Shadow Balls - Sub will be broken regardless - and it can only sub once. It doesn't matter if it uses calm mind, there is a chance of it being 2kho'd (even after the boost)
Else, you can just use T-Bolt.
shadow ball will KO Gardevoir.

If you just have Murkrow
You can just use the combination of Taunt + Sucker Punch to beat Drifblim 1 v 1 (SP is an OHKO) ThunderBolt doesn't KO.

Assuming Drifblim is in
Fodder Gardevoir, then Proceed to follow the instructions above to be Blim. - Brave Birding Sawk / Roost Stalling Stone Edge or Ice Punch.

CALC'D EVERYTHING WITH THE WRONG NATURE ON SAWK. I'll have to re-twiggle EV spreads

Reserving Musharna!

Edit: Only to see my plan fails horribly as even with a Kasib berry, I can't switch into Drifblim. Musharna is free again.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Tangela and probably Piloswine. No guarantee that I'll use either, though.
Edit: Reserving Piloswine, Murkrow is free now

Also, dammit FLCL, you cheater :P

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
-Icicle Spear
-Ice Shard
-Rest
-Substitute

Tangela @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
-Substitute
-Synthesis
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Giga Drain

This is complicated…

So the main point is that Tangela will do most of the stalling, while Piloswine is there to help Tangela counter Drifblim better and force it to use its Ghost Gem early.

If Sawk is in, the best thing ever would be to switch in Tangela. Tangela walls Sawk to no end, taking just 48% from Close Combat. From there, Tangela can spam Synthesis until Sawk has used Close Combat four times, each time dropping to no less than 2% HP, allowing Tangela to OHKO -4 SDef Sawk with Giga Drain.

Assuming Sawk used Ice Punch instead, Tangela should immediately switch out to Piloswine, recovering a tad bit of HP which is important. Even without much investment, Piloswine takes just 21% max damage from Ice Punch, allowing it to set up a free sub on the switch / attack. If Sawk stays in, Piloswine can easily use Icicle Spear, leave its substitute intact, and rest. If Sawk switches out on any of the turns, Piloswine can Icicle Spear Drifblim to nearly kill. From behind a sub, Drifblim is forced to use its Ghost Gem to break it since Piloswine is immune to Thunderbolt completely. Ice Shard picks off whatever that is left of Drifblim.

Once Drifblim’s Ghost Gem has been used up, Piloswine can use Rest to heal off all damage and get ready for another onslaught, since Drifblim’s Shadow Ball deals pitiful damage. At this point, Piloswine can proceed to KO with Icicle Spear + Ice Shard. If Sawk shows its dirty face, it will get hit by Icicle Spear and leave enough damage for Tangela to take it out with Giga Drain at -1, followed by HP Ice against Drifblim. If Sawk comes in for the revenge kill, simply switch Tangela back out and win.

If Drifblim is on the field, Piloswine should be the first switch-in. It takes little from Drifblim’s Ghost Gem Shadow Ball, and if it comes in on a Sub, it easily uses Icicle Spear + Ice Shard combo to KO it. If it comes in on CM, same story except you take a little more damage than before.

Calcs:

Sawk vs Tangela:

252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 136-162 (40.71 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO – If you remembered to keep Tangela >50% HP, you will always survive the onslaught with Synthesis
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 114-136 (34.13 - 40.71%) -- guaranteed 3HKO – This does less damage than Close Combat, but if you switch out you regain most of the HP and Piloswine laughs it off
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 77-91 (23.05 - 27.24%) -- possible 4HKO – If Sawk tries this you can laugh at him
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 38-45 (11.37 - 13.47%) -- possible 8HKO – If Sawk tries THIS, you pretty much win

Tangela vs Sawk:

4 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. -2 0 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 205-243 (70.44 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. -4 0 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 307-363 (105.49 - 124.74%) -- guaranteed OHKO – This is what you should be waiting for
4 SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 64-76 (21.99 - 26.11%) -- possible 4HKO – This is assuming Sawk switches in while you spam Drifblim, while it’s unimpressive, it also means that you can start to KO Sawk at -3 SDef

Sawk vs Piloswine:

252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 80-95 (19.8 - 23.51%) -- possible 5HKO – this is the only thing you should switch Pilo into. See that? It means you get a free sub

Piloswine vs Sawk:

4 Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sawk: 102-126 (35.05 - 43.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. -2 0 HP / 4 Def Sawk: 207-246 (71.13 - 84.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. -2 0 HP / 4 Def Sawk: 109-130 (37.45 - 44.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Drifblim vs Piloswine:

252 SpA Ghost Gem Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 141-166 (34.9 - 41.08%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 94-112 (23.26 - 27.72%) -- possible 4HKO – pathetic damage

Piloswine vs Drifblim:

4 Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifblim: 306-366 (69.38 - 82.99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drifblim: 164-194 (37.18 - 43.99%) -- 99.95% chance to 3HKO – The two moves will KO Drifblim

Drifblim vs Tangela:

252 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 135-160 (40.41 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Tangela vs Drifblim:

4 SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Drifblim: 166-196 (37.64 - 44.44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO – Enough for Piloswine to pick off

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
@FireMage

Assume you don't get the high damage roll and lose Gardevoir, killing Sawk in the process. It is now Murkrow vs Drifblim. However,

252 SpA Drifblim Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 212-250 (65.43 - 77.16%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You said you use Taunt first turn, followed by Sucker Punch. However,

4 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Drifblim: 288-342 (65.3 - 77.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This means that assuming a showdown between Drif and Krow. You Taunt first turn, Drif uses Thunderbolt. You Sucker Punch, don't kill, and get KO'd by Thunderbolt.

Thus your core doesn't work.

Yeah, seems as if I have to give up my 1 Pokémon dream... Rotom-S was the closest thing I could find without relying on speed-ties with Sawk, but then Drifblim wins by virtue of Ghost gem unburden Shadow-ball, followed by the mind games of Sub and CM, since Rotom is forced to attempt to Thunder to KO at +1... There was no normal-type either that could manage to 1HKO and outspeed both Drifblim and Sawk. Dodrio and Pidgeot came close, but neither could one-shot Drifblim.

Anyhow, before I get ninja'd for the 3rd time, reserving Zangoose and Rotom-S.

Zangoose @ Spooky plate
Ability: Toxic boost
40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
-Shadow claw

Rotom-S @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
8 HP/252 SpA/248 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Air slash
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder

Both are EV'd to outspeed Sawk.
First, here's all the relevant calculations:
252SpAtk Flare Boost Drifblim (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 40HP/0SpDef Zangoose (Neutral): 41% - 48% (122 - 144 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
252Atk Spooky Plate Toxic Boost Zangoose (Neutral) Shadow Claw vs 0HP/4Def Drifblim (Neutral): 71% - 84% (316 - 374 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252SpAtk Rotom (Neutral) Air Slash vs 4HP/0SpDef Sawk (Neutral): 92% - 108% (270 - 318 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 54% chance to OHKO.
252SpAtk Rotom (Neutral) Air Slash vs 0HP/0SpDef Drifblim (Neutral): 39% - 46% (174 - 205 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
252SpAtk Rotom (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 0HP/0SpDef Drifblim (Neutral): 99% - 117% (440 - 518 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 98% chance to OHKO.
252Atk Spooky Plate Toxic Boost Zangoose (Neutral) Shadow Claw vs 4HP/0Def Sawk (Neutral): 36% - 43% (107 - 126 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
So, assuming that Sawk is in. Send in Rotom, and they either switch or attack and take Rotom down to his sash with whatever. If they switch, giving us Rotom vs Drifblim, I just Thunderbolt for a 98% chance to KO, and then Air slash + Shadow claw guarantees the kill on Sawk. If there is no switch, giving me 100% Sawk vs 1% Rotom, I use Air slash to bring Sawk down to at most 8% HP. If Rotom then dies, Zangoose comes in, KOs Sawk, and 2HKOs Drifblim while Drifblim can only hurt Zangoose once with Thunderbolt. So the core wins when Sawk is in 98% of the time, disregarding crits and random paralysis.

If Drifblim is instead in, send in Zangoose, and use Shadow claw no matter what your opponent did the previous turn. If they switched, Shadow claw put Sawk into Air slash KO range, and they can't kill Zangoose with Drifblim before Zangoose 2HKOs Drifblim. From there, Sawk switches in, gets Shadow claw'd, kills Zangoose, but is then taken out by the revenge-killing Rotom-S.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@FireMage

Assume you don't get the high damage roll and lose Gardevoir, killing Sawk in the process. It is now Murkrow vs Drifblim. However,

252 SpA Drifblim Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 212-250 (65.43 - 77.16%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You said you use Taunt first turn, followed by Sucker Punch. However,

4 Atk Murkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Drifblim: 288-342 (65.3 - 77.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This means that assuming a showdown between Drif and Krow. You Taunt first turn, Drif uses Thunderbolt. You Sucker Punch, don't kill, and get KO'd by Thunderbolt.

Thus your core doesn't work.
Sucker Punch vs Sawk

I did also Assume perfect prediction. You taunt against the Sub which would give the Blim user a lot more Wiggle room, else, there's nothing stopping you from Sucker Punching twice at all. It still works.

SJ is a Dumb and hasn't made it clear if it's Speed or Special Def EV's on Sawk.

A re-tweak of the EV's to
252hp /8 Def / 200 S.Atk / 44 Spe
Gives Gardevoir an easier time vs Sawk - Allowing it to still switch into Sawk's Stone Edge

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
Sure you can kill Sawk, but Murkrow vs Drifblim is like a 50-50 chance of winning. If you Taunt and he Thunderbolts, you're screwed. If you Sucker Punch and he subs, you're screwed.

It is impossible to predict correctly at all times. If you make the wrong prediction, down goes your core. Remember that you are assuming that you are outplayed at all times.

Reserving Persian.

Edit: Here goes:

Persian @ Focus Sash

Trait: Technician
EVs: 120 Spd / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bite
- Hone Claws
- Hypnosis
- Aerial Ace

Ok this set may be overly reliant on hypnosis but after an hour of looking for a single counter this is the best I could do.

120 speed EVs allows persian to outpace jolly sawk by 1 point and 136 special defense EVs means that thunderbolt from Drifblim is a guaranteed 3HKO:

252SpAtk Ghost Gem Drifblim (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 0HP/136SpDef Focus Sash Persian (Neutral): 35% - 41% (96 - 113 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
The worst case scenario is Persian switching in on Sawk:

252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk (Neutral) Close Combat vs 0HP/0Def Focus Sash Persian (Neutral): 99% - 99% (270 - 270 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
However Persian can then Hypnosis and set up Hone Claw boosts. Speaking of which, Persian needs 2 boosts to guarantee the OHKO on both Sawk and Drifblim because otherwise:

252Atk +1 Technician Persian (+Atk) Bite vs 0HP/4Def Drifblim (Neutral): 92% - 108% (406 - 478 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 51% chance to OHKO.
252Atk +1 Technician Persian (+Atk) Aerial Ace vs 4HP/0Def Sawk (Neutral): 93% - 110% (272 - 322 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 60% chance to OHKO.
If Persian comes in on Drifblim as it substitutes then you can bite to break the sub, follow up with Hypnosis and set up Hone Claws. Or if Persian comes in on Calm Mind or Thunderbolt then you can just Hypnosis and set up.

The best play from the Sawk players point of view would probably be to allow Persian to hypnosis Drifblim and then switch to Sawk as Persian uses Hone Claws hoping that they fail to KO with Aerial Ace

Uh, besides the whole Hypnosis accuracy thing, there's another problem. If Sawk starts in, then CC brings Persian down to 1 HP. Assuming Hypnosis hits, next turn switch to Drifblim as Persian gets +1. You have only a 51% chance to KO at that point, though if you factor in Bite's flinch chance, Drifblim KOs you 35% of the time. That's even assuming that Hypnosis hits, so Persian wins... 55% * 65% = 35% of the time when Sawk's in. I wouldn't exactly call that a counter.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Cacturne and Dodrio

Cacturne @ Dread Plate
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Payback
- Sucker Punch

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Trait: Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Pursuit
- Quick Attack

Against Sawk:
Sac Cacturne, then bring the triplet bird to KO everything with a CB Brave Bird.

252+ Atk Choice Band Dodrio Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Drifblim: 544-642 (123.35 - 145.57%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dodrio Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sawk: 722-852 (248.1 - 292.78%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Against Drifblim:
Cacturne can switch in anything Drifblim has and use Payback (Don't use Sucker Punch unless it survives the Payback, because Drifblim will use Sub or CM).

252 SpA Ghost Gem Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Cacturne: 82-97 (29.07 - 34.39%) -- 5.37% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Drifblim Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Cacturne: 54-65 (19.14 - 23.04%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Drifblim Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Cacturne: 43-51 (15.24 - 18.08%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Dread Plate Cacturne Payback (50 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Drifblim: 374-444 (84.8 - 100.68%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO
When Drifblim dies, or if it switches to Sawk, do the Against Sawk part.

Uh, besides the whole Hypnosis accuracy thing, there's another problem. If Sawk starts in, then CC brings Persian down to 1 HP. Assuming Hypnosis hits, next turn switch to Drifblim as Persian gets +1. You have only a 51% chance to KO at that point, though if you factor in Bite's flinch chance, Drifblim KOs you 35% of the time. That's even assuming that Hypnosis hits, so Persian wins... 55% * 65% = 35% of the time when Sawk's in. I wouldn't exactly call that a counter.
You can hit Drifblim on the switch with Bite to 2HKO it and finish off Sawk with Aerial Ace.

Edit: Assuming Hypnosis hits

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Reserving Purugly for now. Need to run some calcs to see whether it actually works like I want it to. Also, before I try this, how inaccurate a move is considered too inaccurate for this? What I'm thinking of trying would also involve using Hypnosis, so I'm just wondering if that's considered too low for this.
sj said grasswhistle wasn't good enough so i'm not so sure on hypnosis either

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
sj said grasswhistle wasn't good enough so i'm not so sure on hypnosis either
True, I'm not sure I'd accept hynosis once (probably not) but now you need to put to sleep both mons which you have less than 50% chance of achieving. Anyways, one turn sleep is possible and I think that turn happens to be the one you lose using hypnosis meaning the opponent could wake up on the next turn and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Also, I might be pretty busy for a while which would imply I'd leave this round open a little longer than others.

Core:

Charizard @ Life Orb
Trait: Solar Power
124 Atk, 252 SpA , 132 Spd
Hasty Nature
-Flamethrower
-Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-Rock Slide

Volbeat @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
252 HP, 252 Sp. Def
Calm Nature
-Sunny Day
-Encore
-Thunder Wave
-Light Screen

252SpAtk Ghost Gem Drifblim (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Volbeat (+SpDef): 39% - 47% (133 - 157 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252SpAtk Drifblim (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Volbeat (+SpDef): 26% - 31% (88 - 105 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk (Neutral) Stone Edge vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Volbeat (+Def): 98% - 115% (328 - 386 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 89% chance to OHKO.
So when Volbeat comes into Sawk, it goes for Prankster Sunny Day, dies the next turn, goes into Charizard, then sweep. (EVs are to outspeed Jolly Sawk)

252SpAtk Solar Power Charizard (Neutral) Flamethrower in Sun vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Sawk (Neutral): 133% - 157% (390 - 459 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

252SpAtk Solar Power Charizard (Neutral) Flamethrower in Sun vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Drifblim (Neutral): 113% - 133% (502 - 592 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
If Volbeat goes to Drifblim, one of three things may happen:

1) Drifblim goes for Calm Mind -> Go for Thunder Wave, then Sunny Day, then wait to die, go into Charizard, knock it out with Fire Blast or Rock Slide
252SpAtk Life Orb Solar Power Charizard (Neutral) Fire Blast in Sun vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers +1 Drifblim (Neutral): 124% - 147% (550 - 651 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
If the opponent gets greedy, go for Encore, then weaken the Drifblim by going into Charizard and Rock Slide it. Encore turns will stop after three turns.

124Atk Life Orb Solar Power Charizard (Neutral) Rock Slide in Sun vs 4HP/0Def Leftovers Drifblim (Neutral): 59% - 71% (264 - 314 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
2) If Drifblim goes for Substitute, then just go for Encore, then Sunny Day, then hard switch into Charizard, go for Flamethrower. After breaking the Substitute, (NOTE: encore turns have ended now), go for another flamethrower, knock it out. Then knock Sawk out as well with an Air Slash if sun turns have ended.

3) If Drifblim goes for Shadow Ball as you switch into Volbeat, go for Thunder Wave, then Encore, then Sunny Day (NOTE: this is where Volbeat dies already), then go into Charizard, go for Flamethrower, knock it out as well as Sawk in the next turn.

If anything goes wrong:
252SpAtk Drifblim (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 0HP/0SpDef Charizard (Neutral): 39% - 46% (118 - 139 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.
252SpAtk Drifblim (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 4HP/0SpDef Leftovers Charizard (Neutral): 62% - 73% (186 - 220 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Here's the main issue with your core:

252SpAtk Ghost Gem Drifblim (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Volbeat (+SpDef): 39% - 47% (133 - 157 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk (Neutral) Stone Edge vs 252HP/252Def Leftovers Volbeat (+Def): 98% - 115% (328 - 386 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 89% chance to OHKO.
Your calcs are for a 252 HP/252 Def+/252 SpD+ Volbeat.

Also, fuck this thing. Just spent way too long trying to find something. All kinds of things can outspeed and OHKO both of these, but hardly anything can switch it. I found something with a Physical Drifblim that would work, but it needed a partner to clean up. The issue is you never know what situation in needs to clean up in. Maybe next time? :\/

Here's the main issue with your core:

Your calcs are for a 252 HP/252 Def+/252 SpD+ Volbeat.

Also, fuck this thing. Just spent way too long trying to find something. All kinds of things can outspeed and OHKO both of these, but hardly anything can switch it. I found something with a Physical Drifblim that would work, but it needed a partner to clean up. The issue is you never know what situation in needs to clean up in. Maybe next time? :\/
Actually, it's 252hp/252spdef (idk how I messed up again :/) but either way, volbeat can still live Sawk's stone edge with the focus sash intact, so it's not that big of a deal I guess.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Ok, going to close this in let's say 7-8 hours. Somewhere around 8pm EST, I'll make next core easier... maybe.

Punchshroom

well, let's try to make it so that Charizard does not rape the core again (the only reason it was left out of the BravPilo counter was because of SR).

Ended up Using Purugly after all

Purugly @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Ability: Thick Fat
252 Atk / 252 Spd
~Shadow Claw
~Giga Impact
~Hyper Beam
~Dream Eater

Haunter @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Levitate
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd
~Shadow Ball
~Psychic
~Explosion
~SelfDestruct

Basically Purugly is only here to keep Haunter faster than Drifblim, because it's immune to Shadow Ball. If Sawk is out, sack Purugly and bring in Haunter. Kill Sawk with Psychic and Drifblim with Shadow Ball. If Drifblim is out, send in Purugly. If Drifblim kills it, send in Sawk and kill them both. If Purugly tries to set up, spam Shadow Claw until it gives up and kills you. Both Haunter's moves do enough damage to each that they can't just stall for Life Orb recoil. Even if Drifblim sets up a Calm Mind, it will still be OHKOed by Haunter because it will have to eat a Shadow Claw from Purugly (though really, it can't do enough damage to avoid having to take a Shadow Claw from Purugly).

252SpAtk Life Orb Haunter (Neutral) Psychic vs 4HP/0SpDef Sawk (Neutral): 101% - 119% (296 - 350 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Life Orb Haunter (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 4HP/0SpDef Sawk (Neutral): 67% - 80% (198 - 234 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252SpAtk Life Orb Haunter (Neutral) Psychic vs 0HP/0SpDef Drifblim (Neutral): 43% - 51% (191 - 226 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 4% chance to 2HKO.
252SpAtk Life Orb Haunter (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 0HP/0SpDef Drifblim (Neutral): 115% - 136% (510 - 602 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.
252SpAtk Life Orb Haunter (Neutral) Shadow Ball vs 0HP/0SpDef +1 Drifblim (Neutral): 77% - 91% (342 - 404 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk Choice Band Purugly (+Atk) Shadow Claw vs 0HP/0Def +1 Drifblim (Neutral): 53% - 62% (234 - 276 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252SpAtk Drifblim (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 0HP/0SpDef Thick Fat Purugly (Neutral): 43% - 51% (124 - 146 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 5% chance to 2HKO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)