Gen 1 Crit Mechanics

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
From the RBY differences guide:
When deciding whether a move that targets the opponent hits, or whether or not a move critically hit, RBY mechanics formulate certainty as a value between 0 and 255, which is capped at 255. For instance, when Persian uses Slash, even though base Speed * 4 = 460 which is well over 255, it's brought back down to 255. The cart then randomly generates a number between 0 and 255 and, and if that number is less than 255, the move hits / critical hits.

Due to this, there is always an extra 1/256 chance that any "100% accuracy" attack will miss, and that any high CH rate attack will miss (+~0.4%). The only exception is Swift which does not perform this check and, thus, cannot possibly miss.
The word "extra" here confuses me, is it implying that if a move would have a 100% crit rate it is more likely to miss? The end of the first paragraph does not clearly state whether the check is performed only once, so maybe its twice, once for hitting once for criting?

If someone who knows could clarify this it would be great.

im pretty sure that it performs the check twice, one for the crit and one for the hit as i recall having a persian use slash a couple weeks ago and it not critical hitting while of course hitting the target

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
High ch moves dont have an extra chance to miss. I think what it is trying to say is that it has the normal .4% chance to miss and an additional .4% chance to not ch.

Have a nice day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)