Croagunk (Bulk Up) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
approved by em

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/croagunk

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Payback
item: Eviolite
ability: Dry Skin
nature: Adamant
evs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Unlike the first Croagunk set, this set aims to sweep late-game with the Attack and Defense boosts from Bulk Up. However, like the first set, it can still act as a bulky pivot throughout the match due to Croagunk's unique typing, fantastic ability, and relative bulk with Eviolite. These traits allow Croagunk to set up on many common Pokemon in Little Cup, such as Staryu, Chinchou, Tirtouga, Lileep and Mienfoo, though it must be wary of Knock Off from the latter. One notable Pokemon this set can beat is Timburr, which would otherwise beat Croagunk by boosting with a Bulk Up of its own. This set can boost up alongside Timburr, allowing it to beat one of its would-be checks.</p>

<p>The move set is fairly straightforward. Drain Punch is a reliable STAB move that also allows Croagunk to recover some damage, which is crucial to Croagunk's ability to switch in and out many times throughout the match. Sucker Punch provides it with a powerful priority move as well as near-perfect coverage. This allows it to beat faster threats such as Abra, if its Focus Sash has been broken. Payback in the final moveslot gives Croagunk a more reliable coverage move. This allows it to beat variants of Misdreavus that use Substitute to bypass Sucker Punch, although it still must be wary of Will-O-Wisp variants.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread gives Croagunk decent mixed defenses of 24/18/18 factoring in Eviolite. 28 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature give it an Attack of 21 after a single boost. However, if you prefer the power over bulk, you can maximize Croagunk's Attack with 188 EVs and an Adamant nature whilst reducing HP and Defense to 132 and 36 EVs respectively. Whilst 36 Speed EVs may seem counter-intuitive in conjunction with Payback, Croagunk hits a Speed stat of 12, allowing it to outspeed bulky Magnemite. Croagunk has a few other options it can use in place of Payback. Vacuum Wave is a more reliable form of priority, allowing it to pick off weakened Pokemon and also hit Choice Scarf Snover and Magnemite super effectively. If you were to use Vacuum Wave, the nature should be adjusted to Brave and the EVs from Speed should be put into Special Attack. Knock Off is another useful move allowing Croagunk to weaken its own checks and also support its teammates.</p>

<p>Talking of teammates, many Pokemon work well in conjunction with Croagunk. Because of its ability to beat Chinchou, Tirtouga, Omanyte, Porygon, and Lileep, SubRoost Murkrow really appreciates having Croagunk on its team. In return, Murkrow absorbs Psychic- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Croagunk. Misdreavus that carry Will-O-Wisp will severely cripple Croagunk, so it appreciates teammates that can beat it. Stunky is one of the best counters to Misdreavus and can also take Psychic-type hits thanks to its immunity to them. Porygon and Scraggy can also beat Misdreavus, and they both appreciate Croagunk's ability to beat Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr. Another Pokemon that needs to be removed before Croagunk can sweep is Murkrow. Tirtouga and Chinchou are generally good options to beat Murkrow despite the threat of Hidden Power Grass. They also lure out Lileep and Ferroseed, two Pokemon which Croagunk can use as setup bait. Finally, a Pokemon that can take on Ground-types like Hippopotas and Drilbur is appreciated. Grass-types that can take an Earthquake, such as Shroomish and Snover, can give these Pokemon a lot of trouble.</p>

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Payback only in the last slot imo, VWave is bad and Knock Off is okay but too situational on something like Croagunk- you almost always would prefer to use Bulk Up or Drain Punch. Other than that this looks pretty good.

edit: Stamped this but I think the EVs could use a tweak. I'll edit this post with a stamp when I figure out a good EV spread.

edit: This is fine.

[qc]1/2[/qc]

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks iss, edited the set. Put V-wave and Knock Off in AC for now, but VWave could probably be removed from there too if you want.
Edited the EVs for Payback for now. I wasn't totally sure on the EVs myself. I like 116 in Def as it allows Croagunk to beat Timburr in a bulk up war easily. I'm not sure if the Special Bulk is necessary though. Maybe 108 in Atk, 36 in SpD would be more useful. But I don't know if the extra attack is that useful for as it's only 15>14.

Edit: Actually the EVs in SpD allow it to check non-wisp Missy easier.
188 Atk with Adamant might actually be more useful. You could drop HP down from 212 to 132 to give it 23 HP.
Right now I'm thinking 132 HP/188 Atk/36Def/116 SpD, 36 Spe.

I suck at EV spreads this is probably all bollocks.

I'm honestly clueless about the EV spread for this, everything else looks fine though. Maybe mention other teammates that can handle Misdreavus (like Porygon or something idk), and stuff to tank Ground-attacks from Drilbur?

[qc]2/2[/qc]

Rowan

The professor?
Thanks em. Personally I think the spread on the analysis is the best, as it has decent mixed defenses to take hits. But if anyone comes up with anything better, please let me know. So I have 2 QCs does that mean I can start writing now? I'm unsure of the new rules regarding this.

edit: yeah okay just read the new changes thing. Will get writing to this when I need to procrastinate school work.

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Unlike the first Croagunk set, this set aims to sweep late-game with the Attack and Defense boosts from Bulk Up. However, like the first set, it can still act as a bulky pivot throughout the match due to its Croagunk's unique typing, fantastic ability, and relative bulk with Eviolite. These traits allow Croagunk to set up on many common Pokemon in Little Cup, such as Staryu, Chinchou, Tirtouga, Lileep and Mienfoo, though it must be wary of Knock Off from the latter. One notable Pokemon this set can beat is Timburr, which (you refer to Pokemon with "it", so stick to "which" here, not "who") would otherwise beat Croagunk by boosting with a Bulk Up of its own. This set can set up alongside Timburr, (comma) allowing it to beat one of its would-be checks.</p>

<p>The move set is fairly straightforward. Drain Punch is a reliable STAB move which that also allows it Croagunk to recover some damage, which is crucial to Croagunk's ability to switch in and out many times throughout the match. Sucker Punch provides it with a powerful priority move as well as having near-perfect type coverage. This allows it to beat faster threats such as Abra, if its Focus Sash has been broken. Payback is in the final moveslot which gives Croagunk a more reliable coverage move that is more reliable. This allows it to beat variants of Misdreavus which use Substitute to bypass Sucker Punch, although it still must be wary of Will-O-Wisp variants.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread gives Croagunk decent mixed defenses of 24/18/18 factoring in Eviolite. 28 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature give it an Attack stat of 21 after a single boost. However, (comma) if you prefer the power over bulk, (comma) you can maximize Croagunk's Attack stat with 188 EVs and an Adamant nature, whilst reducing the HP and Defense to 132 and 36 respectively. Whilst 36 Speed EVs may seem counter-intuitive in conjunction with Payback, Croagunk hits a Speed stat of 12, allowing it outspeed bulky Magnemite. Croagunk has a few other options it can use in place of Payback. Vacuum Wave is a more reliable form of priority, (comma) allowing it to pick off weakened Pokemon and also hit Choice Scarf Snover and Magnemite super effectively. If you were to use Vacuum Wave, (comma) the nature should be adjusted to Brave and the EVs from Speed should be put into Special Attack. Knock Off is another useful move allowing it Croagunk to weaken its own checks and also support its teammates.</p>

<p>Talking of teammates, many Pokemon work well in conjunction with Croagunk. Because of its ability to beat Chinchou, Tirtouga, Omanyte, Porygon, (comma) and Lileep, SubRoost Murkrow really appreciates having Croagunk on its team. In return, Murkrow absorbs Psychic- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Croagunk. Misdreavus that carry Will-o-Wisp will severely cripple Croagunk, (comma) so it appreciates teammates that can beat it. Stunky is one of the best counters to Misdreavus and can also take Psychic-type hits thanks to its immunity to the same. Porygon and Scraggy can also beat Misdreavus, (comma) and they both appreciate Croagunk's ability to beat Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr. Another Pokemon that needs to be removed before a Croagunk can sweep is Murkrow. Tirtouga and Chinchou are generally good options to beat Murkrow despite the threat of Hidden Power Grass. They also lure out Lileep and Ferroseed, two Pokemon which Croagunk can use as setup bait. Finally, (comma) a Pokemon that can take on Ground-types like Hippopotas and Drilbur is appreciated. Grass-types that can take an Earthquake, (comma) such as Shroomish and Snover, (comma) can give these Pokemon a lot of trouble.</p>

Most of the errors were grammar conventions we have here on Smogon. For a full list of these, I suggest you go through the Spelling and Grammar Standards thread. Good luck!

GP 1 / 2

Rowan

The professor?
Thank you Calm Pokemaster, I have made your edits. The only sentence I was unsure about was 'Stunky is one of the best counters to Misdreavus and can also take Psychic-type hits thanks to its immunity to the same.' Maybe it's just me, but I have never heard that expression before so I just changed 'to the same' to 'to them'

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Unlike the first Croagunk set, this set aims to sweep late-game with the Attack and Defense boosts from Bulk Up. However, like the first set, it can still act as a bulky pivot throughout the match due to Croagunk's unique typing, fantastic ability, and relative bulk with Eviolite. These traits allow Croagunk to set up on many common Pokemon in Little Cup, such as Staryu, Chinchou, Tirtouga, Lileep and Mienfoo, though it must be wary of Knock Off from the latter. One notable Pokemon this set can beat is Timburr, which would otherwise beat Croagunk by boosting with a Bulk Up of its own. This set can set boost up alongside Timburr, allowing it to beat one of its would-be checks.</p>

<p>The move set is fairly straightforward. Drain Punch is a reliable STAB move that also allows Croagunk to recover some damage, which is crucial to Croagunk's ability to switch in and out many times throughout the match. Sucker Punch provides it with a powerful priority move as well as near-perfect type coverage. This allows it to beat faster threats such as Abra, if its Focus Sash has been broken. Payback in the final moveslot gives Croagunk a more reliable coverage move. This allows it to beat variants of Misdreavus that which use Substitute to bypass Sucker Punch, although it still must be wary of Will-O-Wisp variants.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread gives Croagunk decent mixed defenses of 24/18/18 factoring in Eviolite. 28 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature give it an Attack stat of 21 after a single boost. However, if you prefer the power over bulk, you can maximize Croagunk's Attack stat with 188 EVs and an Adamant nature whilst reducing the HP and Defense to 132 and 36 EVs respectively. Whilst 36 Speed EVs may seem counter-intuitive in conjunction with Payback, Croagunk hits a Speed stat of 12, allowing it to outspeed bulky Magnemite. Croagunk has a few other options it can use in place of Payback. Vacuum Wave is a more reliable form of priority, allowing it to pick off weakened Pokemon and also hit Choice Scarf Snover and Magnemite super effectively. If you were to use Vacuum Wave, the nature should be adjusted to Brave and the EVs from Speed should be put into Special Attack. Knock Off is another useful move allowing Croagunk to weaken its own checks and also support its teammates.</p>

<p>Talking of teammates, many Pokemon work well in conjunction with Croagunk. Because of its ability to beat Chinchou, Tirtouga, Omanyte, Porygon, and Lileep, SubRoost Murkrow really appreciates having Croagunk on its team. In return, Murkrow absorbs Psychic- and Ground-type attacks aimed at Croagunk. Misdreavus that carry Will-O-Wisp will severely cripple Croagunk, so it appreciates teammates that can beat it. Stunky is one of the best counters to Misdreavus and can also take Psychic-type hits thanks to its immunity to them. Porygon and Scraggy can also beat Misdreavus, and they both appreciate Croagunk's ability to beat Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr. Another Pokemon that needs to be removed before Croagunk can sweep is Murkrow. Tirtouga and Chinchou are generally good options to beat Murkrow despite the threat of Hidden Power Grass. They also lure out Lileep and Ferroseed, two Pokemon which Croagunk can use as setup bait. Finally, a Pokemon that can take on Ground-types like Hippopotas and Drilbur is appreciated. Grass-types that can take an Earthquake, such as Shroomish and Snover, can give these Pokemon a lot of trouble.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Rowan

The professor?
Thanks for the check GatoDelFuego. Quick question, is it 'boost up alongside' or just 'boost alongside'?

edit: after looking around I've seen boost up on other analyses, and I also trust your better judgement.

This is done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)