Croagunk (BW2 Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on one of the greatest utility Pokemon in all of Little Cup. Perhaps the most innocuous of toads at first glance, Croagunk is prepared to go on the offense and attack your team with such quickness that moves with neutral priority are all but a futile attempt to beat Croagunk to the punch. The coveted Fake Out + priority combination belongs to this hasty fighter, who it well. There are numerous Fighting-types in Little Cup, but the reigning king among them, Mienfoo, cannot beat Misdreavus, which Croagunk does with relative ease. It is a similar situation with many other top threats, as niche typing and a Water-type immunity thanks to Dry Skin make many a Pokemon unable to break Croagunk before they meet their demise. Although it has a quadruple weakness to the Psychic-type and a comparatively mediocre Speed stat, Croagunk remains one of the most useful, niche Pokemon that any team can carry.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Offensive
move 1: Fake Out / Knock Off
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Vacuum Wave
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Eviolite
ability: Dry Skin
nature: Quiet
evs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Croagunk inarguably checks a large amount of the Pokemon that are common in Little Cup. Misdreavus, Lileep, Snover, Scraggy, Staryu, Chinchou, Shellder, Magnemite, Tirtouga, Omanyte, Scraggy, weakened Drilbur, weakened Sandshrew, weakened Murkrow, and more all fall victim to the venomous tactics that Croagunk uses. For this reason, Croagunk is often used as the "glue" to check numerous threats that no other Pokemon can all at once. Croagunk isn't a Pokemon that you should use for power; if you want to do that, try one of the many other Fighting-types, such as Scraggy or Mienfoo. Rather, unleash Croagunk if you have trouble with Shell Smash sweepers, or Chinchou, or Misdreavus, or one of the many other Pokemon that Croagunk checks.</p>

<p>Moving onto the given moves, let's start off with Fake Out. Fake Out is an excellent move on Croagunk, allowing it to revenge kill Pokemon that Vacuum Wave alone simply cannot (especially through Focus Sashes). It also moves before all other priority moves, which is useful when attempting to check Pokemon with priority of their own, such as Snover. Vacuum Wave pairs extraordinarily well with Fake Out, making for a great one-two combination that KOes most glass cannons. Vacuum Wave also has the STAB bonus, is super effective on Snover, and does not activate Ferroseed's Iron Barbs. Drain Punch is both more powerful than Vacuum Wave and hits off of Croagunk's more powerful offensive stat, healing Croagunk's HP with every use, ensuring that it will not die whilst checking the Pokemon that it is meant to check. Rounding out the moveset is Shadow Ball, achieving perfect coverage with Drain Punch and giving Croagunk a way to hit Misdreavus and other Ghost-types, as well as hitting other Croagunk neutrally. While it might seem to somewhat compromise Croagunk's niche, Knock Off can replace the only move that is not entirely necessary, Fake Out, to remove the Eviolites held by many Pokemon in Little Cup. The loss of effectiveness in revenge killing is quite noticeable, but the tradeoff may very well be worth it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While the EVs may seem unnecessarily complex, they optimize Croagunk's defenses for great all-around bulk, with the remaining EVs invested into its offenses to give a bit of a kick to its attacks. A Quiet nature is used to make Vacuum Wave and Shadow Ball more powerful, as they hit off of Croagunk's lower offensive stat and need the boost to hit sufficiently hard, especially against Scraggy. All of Croagunk's stats other than Speed are indispensable, so the Speed drop isn't that big of a deal. Icy Wind, Low Sweep, and to a much lesser extent Bulldoze all can be used over Fake Out to lower the opposing Pokemon's Speed and potentially hit them with Drain Punch instead of the weaker Vacuum Wave. However, the lack of priority is off-putting and makes Croagunk more reliant on prediction, which is fine but should be avoided if possible. Sucker Punch is pretty difficult to fit into the set, but revenge killing Gastly and Misdreavus that lack Substitute is helpful. The best move to replace would probably be Shadow Ball, as it has similar coverage, but the unreliability of Sucker Punch and potential backfire that mispredicting with it could cause makes it an inferior choice.</p>

<p>Before considering partners for Croagunk, it is important to understand what playstyles it functions best on. Bulky offense, the ruler of the roost in Little Cup, just happens to be a perfect fit for Croagunk. This is due to the playstyle's focus on taking hits and dishing them out, as well as that Croagunk checks many top threats that otherwise might require multiple Pokemon in order to be adequately checked. Balance is just as good if not a better fit for Croagunk, as the sheer utility it provides in one Pokemon and multiple roles that it can fill fits the description of an excellent Pokemon perfectly. Defensive teams can even find a place for Croagunk, as its much stressed upon ability to check many threats is important for such teams. It also provides a Toxoc Spikes absorber and easily defeats Misdreavus, the bane of many a defensive team. Do consider that its defenses, while more than decent, aren't impenetrable and you shouldn't be using Croagunk to replace a more reliable counter that is a more natural fit for a defensive team.</p>

<p>When using Croagunk, it is not usually a matter of what you can do for it, but rather what it can do for you. There's more than a few Pokemon (read: pretty much the entirety of Little Cup) that appreciate at least one of the Pokemon that Croagunk beats being defeated. I draw your attention the excellent Shell Smash users, Shellder, Tirtouga, and Omanyte, who are hated by all but their lowly users. Dry Skin absorbs their Water-type attacks, so what might have caused a tragic 6-0 demolition in your opponent's favor is no longer an issue. Pretty much every Pokemon not immune or resistant to Water-type attacks that is also not weak or hit hard by one of the Shell Smashing trio members' coverage moves enjoys their removal, so Larvesta, Archen, Cranidos, Houndour, non-Choice Scarf Murkrow, and many others enjoy Croagunk's support. All of the given Pokemon lure said Water-type attacks that Croagunk can switch into with impunity.</p>

<p>As has hopefully been made painfully clear, Shell Smash users are just the start of what Croagunk can beat. Misdreavus, aka the spirit that will possess your soul and rip it straight out, is vanquished to its haunted homeland by Croagunk. Basically every Fighting-type in Little Cup, every bulky Pokemon without much offensive investment, every Rapid Spin user, and many others will rejoice when Misdreavus has met its demise. Your sand teams will appreciate the lack of Snover to mess with their most destructive preferred environment. Chinchou being gone is quite pleasing to the Murkrows and Staryus of the world. Lileep removed is excellent news for every Normal-type ever and every Pokemon that lacks a strong neutral or super effective attack. The list of Pokemon that appreciate Croagunk's presence is very long, so if you need X Pokemon checked and Croagunk checks it, you are adding an invaluable team player.</p>

<p>Of course, regardless of all the good that Croagunk can do, it is not a standalone Pokemon by any means. You're going to want to invest in a Dark-type to absorb Psychic-type attacks often aimed at Croagunk. Murkrow is the best choice, as it breaks down Croagunk's counters and vice versa, though there are a few other choices, such as Pawniard and Scraggy. Steel-types are decent as well, but they are swiftly taken out by coverage moves that Abra, the most common Psychic-type, and fail to do much in return. Rock-type attacks do a number to a large amount of Croagunk's checks, such as Larvesta, Archen, and Murkrow, so Archen itself, Lileep, Dwebble, and Tirtouga make great partners. Stealth Rock, as with all offensive Pokemon, is very helpful, particularly when facing Murkrow and Snover. Many Pokemon can set it up, the aforementioned Dwebble and Ferroseed being only two of the many different options. Croagunk is an easy Pokemon to support, as its needs are very straightforward and pretty much every Pokemon without redundant typing appreciates its presence.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Croagunk's movepool is actually quite wide, filled with a bunch of decent options. The first of these is Pursuit, which puts Misdreavus and Gastly in a checkmate position&mdash;however, it's no help against the dreaded Abra, and is a huge risk due to Croagunk's inability to tank powerful neutral attacks repeatedly. If you want a Dark-type attack, Sucker Punch is almost always the better option. A Poison-type STAB move, such as Gunk Shot or Poison Jab, might seem tempting; however, it offers zero additional coverage and must replace one of Croagunk's much-needed moves. There are a few other options for coverage, such as Earthquake, Fire Punch, and ThunderPunch, although none are useful for much. The former has redundant type coverage, while the latter two only net coverage on the Flying-types that outspeed Croagunk. A few supporting options inhabit Croagunk's quirky movepool, including Taunt to prevent Dwebble from setting up entry hazards and Misdreavus from burning with Will-O-Wisp and Rain Dance to support rain teams and activate Dry Skin.</p>

<p>There are a few other sets that Croagunk has up its tight little sleeve. First and foremost is a Nasty Plot set, with Sludge Bomb as the main STAB attack, Vacuum Wave as STAB priority, and Shadow Ball to fill all gaps in coverage. It can be used to great effect, as once Croagunk's Special Attack stat is boosted it is capable of plowing through its opposition. By the same token, Croagunk can boost its Attack and Defense with Bulk Up, which is intriguing due to Drain Punch's utility as pseudo-recovery. On the other hand, Croagunk lacks the ability to have all of the bulk, Speed, and power all at once that would be required to pull off this sort of set effectively, not to mention that Timburr outclasses it. Yet another setup option is a mixed booster set utilizing Work Up, but the need to split investment between its offenses and having no room for defensive EVs destines it to utter failure. Last up among boosting moves is the always fun Acupressure, but the unreliability makes it unappetizing. There's one more set available for Croagunk, a Substitute + Focus Punch set for a more powerful STAB move, but it creates an unnecessary four moveslot syndrome and loses out on the heavily beneficial recovery provided by Drain Punch.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Croagunk seems to be all bells and whistles with few flaws, its array of checks and counters is actually fairly diverse. Ironically, Croagunk cannot break past itself, so Croagunk versus Croagunk is basically a stalemate hinging on which one gets a critical hit with Shadow Ball first. Its quadruple Psychic weakness is easily exploitable; Abra can switch into Vacuum Wave and deal a hilarious 366% - 466% with Psychic; Misdreavus that carry Psychic work decently as well. Another weakness to exploit would be its Flying-type weakness; Murkrow is not 2HKOed by Fake Out + Vacuum Wave at full health, and can retaliate with a powerful Brave Bird. Archen does not appreciate taking a Vacuum Wave but can if it needs to and OHKOes with Acrobatics. Vullaby can OHKO with Brave Bird and Drifloon is immune to both Fake Out and Vacuum Wave, is faster, and OHKOes with Acrobatics. Furthermore, Croagunk has a Ground-type weakness, which can be exploited by a Pokemon that is a hard stop to it, Hippopotas, and Drilbur and Sandshrew that are not too weakened to take the combination of Fake Out + Vacuum Wave. Vacuum Wave will do quite a bit to Sandshrew, however, so it has to be in top condition to take on Croagunk. Continuing down an unfortunate trail of weaknesses for Croagunk, it is hit super effectively by Fire-type attacks due to Dry Skin. Larvesta can switch into pretty much any attack that Croagunk might carry and OHKO with STAB Flare Blitz and Houndour OHKOes with STAB Fire Blast, though its Fighting weakness prevents it from switching in easily. There's also Ponyta, who outspeeds by quite a bit, can take Fake Out + Vacuum Wave, and OHKOes with Flare Blitz. Snover is pretty difficult for Croagunk to switch into generally, but in no way can it stay in on Croagunk due to its Vacuum Wave weakness. Alternatively, you can take a defensive route and wall Croagunk with Bronzor or burn it with Misdreavus. Really, it's not that hard to check Croagunk, but it has a way of working around most of its checks, so play carefully, otherwise you might be dealing with a Croagunk ripping apart your team.</p>

I know this isn't finished, but I don't want you to put too much work into something that'll be QC changed to something different.

One) Those sets are pretty much the exact same thing. We don't need two Croagunk sets with only mild differences in spread and minor movepool differences. Remove one of them.

Two) I (and the other QC members) will not accept the set if it looks different than:

move 1: Fake Out / Knock Off
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Vacuum Wave
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Eviolite
nature: Quiet
evs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD

The Attack investment doesn't make much of a difference, and Croagunk appreciates the overall increase in bulk to better check Timburr, Misdreavus, and such. Delete the first set, and make that the second set before you do anything else.

[14:23] <&RayJay> i agree with you

Yeah, blarajan's set is definetely the best set around at the moment. It's probably worth slashing shadow ball with knock off, though, as some teams just really enjoy the fake out support and knock off already annoys the hell out of missy.

A sweeping NP set is actually very good in my experience, though I imagine you've never played with it before and I'm happy to try and get that through QC myself if you don't want to.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gave pokemon0078 the op of this thread, get some work done on this buddy

list it anyway
for example, on my blissey analysis, i listed natural cure on the last two sets even though u obviously need natural cure

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Dry Skin is obviously the ability to use.
No shit Sherlock, but since Croagunk has more than one ability, its important to note the ability for the ones that are new to the tier.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
What a rude Furry, just mad because there's no Furry Conventions in Israel

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
em bugged me and this is ready for qc to jump all over, lgi.

sorry i actually forgot i even had to do this.

and if you've ever seen something i've wrote you know that the attitude of this skeleton does not reflect the actual analysis when it is eventually written.

I will QC it tomorrow. I am lazy. pokemon0078 don't take iss's QC as a sign of this being at all near ready. It's not.

Jukain

!_!
talked on irc and a few things were updated, such as it not being amazing against boosted timburr. approve this please.

I think you're misunderstanding how Croagunk is played. Croagunk is not the "best Fighting-type counter in LC." In all honesty, I don't even consider it a CHECK to any Fighting-type but Scraggy, who can smash Croagunk anyways. Croagunk is used as a utility check to a variety of Pokemon, such as Misdreavus, Shell Smashers, Lileep, Chinchou, etc. The sheer range of what Croagunk checks makes it such a unique and valuable Pokemon in LC. Just because it resists Fighting-type attacks does not mean it checks Fighting-type Pokemon...Mienfoo and Timburr beat Croagunk 1v1 and Scraggy can smash with Zen Headbutt.

Accordingly, I want you to change the lines regarding what it checks in the Set Comments. I want Pokemon you include to be Tirtouga, Omanyte, Misdreavus, Chinchou, Lileep, weakened Drilbur, weakened Murkrow, etc, as opposed to what you'd written. Your list contains Pokemon that see no use and things it doesn't actually check, instead of the metagame relevant threats it does beat. Remove shit like Aipom.

Remove the mention of Drain Punch hitting Cranidos and Bronzor. Cranidos doesn't even come close to a metagame relevant threat, and Bronzor OHKOes Croagunk with Psychic. Include Lileep, Tirtouga, Chinchou, etc.

In AC, mention Sucker Punch beating Abra. Remove the mention of "catch-all counter to Fighting-types" but instead discuss the myriad of other threats it checks.

Redo your teammates section for that reason--you're still under the impression that it beats Fighting-type Pokemon. Discuss Pokemon that appreciate Lileep checked, Shell Smashers checked, a basic revenge killer for weakened Drilbur / Murkrow, Water-type Pokemon, weakened Scraggy, etc.

I don't even get the Mienfoo / in a relationship thing. Mienfoo + Croagunk aren't even particularly good together. Shellder beats Croagunk if Shell Smash.

Remove Bullet Punch from OO. Dark Pulse too. Remove Fling + Toxic Orb. Did you honestly say "use Taunt to prevent Drilbur from setting up hazards on you?" Remove that mention but keep Taunt. Remove Torment. Remove Venoshock. Remove Dual Chop.

In Checks and Counters, you have a variety of inaccuracies. Murkrow is not killed by Fake Out + Vacuum Wave, so remove that. Under Abra, mention that it falls to Sucker Punch. Remove bulky Chinchou...Croagunk is my Chinchou check, not the other way around. Include other Pokemon, such as Sandshrew, Vullaby, Houndour (impossible to switch into), Snover (difficult to switch into), Psychic Misdreavus, and Ponyta.

QC 2/3.

Jukain

!_!
i've obviously got some work to do on this, but i started by removing the big things and i also... fixed the skeleton. looking at it, it was really stupid and not professional sounding so i fixed it.

This is REALLY minor but:

- drilbur outspeeds in sand and koes with eq,
Even uninvested and negative nature Drilbur is faster than Croagunk with that spread and nature (Drilbur's min Spd = 11; Croagunk's Spd = 9) so even outside of Sand it's outsped.

Also:

Under Abra, mention that it falls to Sucker Punch.
Abra with Protect is a heavy mind game for Croagunk as Sucker Punch has really low PP and all Abra has to do is repeat protect until Sucker Punch is out. Of course, Croagunk can always use Shadow Ball but then it will be open for Abra's Psychic, so it will take skill and heavy prediction to win those.

Also:

Abra with Protect is a heavy mind game for Croagunk as Sucker Punch has really low PP and all Abra has to do is repeat protect until Sucker Punch is out. Of course, Croagunk can always use Shadow Ball but then it will be open for Abra's Psychic, so it will take skill and heavy prediction to win those.
No it doesn't. Protect does not make Sucker Punch difficult at all.

Ray Jay

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Definitely list the moveset for Nasty Plot; Nasty Plot, Sludge Bomb, Vacuum Wave, Shadow Ball or whatever people use now; I'm not sure what you mean by "it's getting a set elsewhere anyways"

break sashes from like mienfoo and abra
Inless im misunderstanding this it sounds like you're saying mienfoo uses focus sash which is just not true. Also mention Eviolite Psychic Misdreavus, which I've seen people use as a bait to kill Croagunk as it isn't OHKOed by Sucker Punch. Also, Archen typically uses Acrobatics, not Brave Bird. Finally, in the intro bit about its typing, mention just how uncommon Psychic-type moves are, since I think that's a big part of Croagunk's niche.

QC 3/3

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
actually to be technical that is the correct usage of like on smogon; "similar to". Croagunk can behave similar to mienfoo in the fact that it can break sashes, if I'm to believe.

Ray Jay

actually to be technical that is the correct usage of like on smogon; "similar to". Croagunk can behave similar to mienfoo in the fact that it can break sashes, if I'm to believe.
No, he's saying "break sashes FROM like Mienfoo", in other words, what the skeleton is currently saying is that Mienfoo has Focus Sash. The skeleton is trying to say what you are saying, "Just like Mienfoo, Croagunk can use Fake Out to break Abra's Focus Sash"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)