Crobat

QC: ksh13 / Jio
GP: P Squared+piikachuu / The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]
Crobat stands out as one of the most reliable leads of the metagame. Its outstanding base 130 Speed, which allows it to outspeed every relevant Pokemon bar Mewtwo and Mega Gengar, is complemented by a wide utility movepool that includes moves such as Taunt, Tailwind, and Quick Guard. Taunt, in particular, is especially useful, as it allows Crobat to function as a reliable check to other leads such as Smeargle, which has lower Speed and often runs status moves only. In addition to these unique traits, Crobat's decent defensive typing makes it a good check to Xerneas, as it resists Fairy-type attacks while also being able to stop Geomancy thanks to Taunt. However, Crobat's utility diminishes throughout the game, as its mediocre 85 / 80 / 80 bulk doesn't allow it to repeatedly switch into moves that it doesn't resist. It is also heavily reliant on its teammates, as it doesn't have any offensive presence besides Super Fang, which deals less damage each turn and cannot KO foes at all. Lastly, Crobat faces competition as a fast utility-based Pokemon from Talonflame: the latter has an optimal base Speed, also has access to Quick Guard and Taunt, and can set up Tailwind before getting Taunted by a Prankster user thanks to Gale Wings. However, Crobat's Inner Focus makes it immune to Fake Out, and its access to Haze gives it a better matchup against setup sweepers.

[SET]
name: Utility Support
move 1: Super Fang
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Quick Guard
item: Lum Berry / Mental Herb
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Super Fang removes 50% of the foe's health without taking into consideration its typing and resistances, allowing Crobat to easily deal with bulky foes such as Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. Tailwind doubles the Speed of Crobat and its allies for four turns, turning slower offensive teammates into fast threats. Taunt prevents Pokemon such as Cresselia and Smeargle from using their own status moves, and it works extremely well in conjunction with Crobat's great Speed. Quick Guard protects Crobat's partner from common priority moves such as Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out, Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch, and Rayquaza's Extreme Speed.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows Crobat to survive some weak or unresisted attacks, while 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are necessary to ensure it moves before its foes. A Lum Berry helps against status conditions, in particular sleep and paralysis, and allows Crobat to reliably check Smeargle by absorbing one Dark Void and Taunting it the following turn. Mental Herb can be used as an alternative item, as it nullifies a Taunt coming from Prankster users, such as Sableye, or faster Pokemon. An EV spread of 44 HP / 236 Def / 228 Spe is a viable option to always avoid being OHKOed by Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge.

Usage Tips
========

Crobat should be used as a lead to disrupt the opposing team as soon as possible. Use Taunt if Crobat is against defensive Pokemon or setup sweepers; otherwise, either start spamming Super Fang to damage the foes as much as possible or set up Tailwind to better deal with the opponent's team the following turns. If Crobat and its partner are against common users of priority moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, consider using Quick Guard as well. Crobat can also be used to secure a sweep for a teammate mid- or late-game; however, keep in mind that it should be brought in only after a teammate has fainted or on a predicted resisted move, as its subpar bulk doesn't allow it to survive particularly powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Powerful wallbreakers benefit the most from Tailwind's Speed boost and the consistent damage dealt by Super Fang. Mega Kangaskhan, in particular, makes for an exceptionally good partner, as it can help Crobat use its moves more safely thanks to Fake Out and can KO most foes after Super Fang damage with a Parental Bond-boosted Double-Edge. A leading duo consisting of Crobat and Smeargle can provide an early advantage for its teammates, as the former can set up Tailwind while the latter uses a protecting move the first turn, and then they can proceed to spam Super Fang and Dark Void the following turn. On a similar note, Crobat and Mega Gengar fare well against most Pokemon combinations, including the common Smeargle and Xerneas. Bulky offensive Pokemon such as Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre are also good options, as they can take advantage of Tailwind while also maintaining some defensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Haze or Whirlwind can be run over Quick Guard as an emergency move against setup sweepers and Moody Smeargle, although these are better dealt with in other ways. Haze, in particular, is also effective against the Follow Me + Geomancy combination. Brave Bird can be used as an alternative and more reliable source of damage, but Crobat's uninvested Attack stat is too low to weaken foes significantly. If running Brave Bird, a Jolly nature and 31 Attack IVs should be used as well. Hypnosis can work well in conjunction with Crobat's great Speed, but its unreliability makes the move not worth using; however, it can be run as a niche strategy with specific teammates, such as Gravity Sableye.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Powerful Attackers**: Crobat's bulk is only mediocre, and it cannot take repeated hits from powerful attackers such as Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and Mega Kangaskhan.

**Mewtwo and Mega Gengar**: Mewtwo and Mega Gengar, although not very common, can Speed tie with Crobat and OHKO it with ease; the latter is also immune to Super Fang.

**Ghost-types**: If not running Brave Bird, Crobat has no way of damaging Ghost-types such as Mega Gengar, Giratina, Sableye, and Giratina-O. Sableye, in particular, has access to Prankster and can bypass Crobat's Speed and Taunt. Moreover, a leading duo of Sableye and Mega Gengar can make Crobat useless while the two Ghost-types deal with its partner.

**Mental Herb**: Pokemon running Mental Herb can avoid Taunt and proceed to cripple Crobat or its partner. In particular, most Trick Room setters can can also nullify Crobat's great Speed and the Speed boost from Tailwind.

Last edited:
AM Check
Overview
  • "...Bar Mewtwo" - Mega Gengar also Speed ties with it.
  • Add that it's one of the most reliable checks to Smeargle thanks to Inner Focus + fast Taunt.
Moves
  • You need to describe what Tailwind does, not just say that it helps.
Set Details
  • You don't need to mention that 0 Attack IVs reduce Foul Play damage, as it's considered common knowledge.
  • I'd mention an alternative EV spread of 44 HP / 236 Def / 228 Spe. Survives a Double-Edge from Mega Kangaskhan and outspeeds Talonflame.
  • The above spread also makes me an advocate for moving Sitrus Berry to Other Options, as I think it's generally a better solution to Mega Kangaskhan than giving up Lum Berry or Mental Herb.
Usage Tips
  • "Spamming Super Fang" - Be a bit more direct and explain that this is because Super Fang will reduce a greater amount of HP against the healthier opponents present in the early game.
  • "...doesn't allow Crobat" - I'd add "often" just before this, as it can switch into Ground-type attacks, for example.
Team Options
  • Add that the Primals benefit from Quick Guard because a common answer to Water Spout and Eruption are priority attacks.
  • Add Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan and Smeargle, as they can help set up Tailwind.
Other Options
  • Add Whirlwind. It works similarly to Haze in stopping Xerneas, and works as an alternative Trick Room counter.
Checks and Counters
  • Add Mental Herb. It causes foes, particularly Trick Room setters and Smeargle, to have a much easier time against Crobat by preventing a single use of Taunt.

AM Check
Overview
  • "...Bar Mewtwo" - Mega Gengar also Speed ties with it.
  • Add that it's one of the most reliable checks to Smeargle thanks to Inner Focus + fast Taunt.
Moves
  • You need to describe what Tailwind does, not just say that it helps.
Set Details
  • You don't need to mention that 0 Attack IVs reduce Foul Play damage, as it's considered common knowledge.
  • I'd mention an alternative EV spread of 44 HP / 236 Def / 228 Spe. Survives a Double-Edge from Mega Kangaskhan and outspeeds Talonflame.
  • The above spread also makes me an advocate for moving Sitrus Berry to Other Options, as I think it's generally a better solution to Mega Kangaskhan than giving up Lum Berry or Mental Herb.
Usage Tips
  • "Spamming Super Fang" - Be a bit more direct and explain that this is because Super Fang will reduce a greater amount of HP against the healthier opponents present in the early game.
  • "...doesn't allow Crobat" - I'd add "often" just before this, as it can switch into Ground-type attacks, for example.
Team Options
  • Add that the Primals benefit from Quick Guard because a common answer to Water Spout and Eruption are priority attacks.
  • Add Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan and Smeargle, as they can help set up Tailwind.
Other Options
  • Add Whirlwind. It works similarly to Haze in stopping Xerneas, and works as an alternative Trick Room counter.
Checks and Counters
  • Add Mental Herb. It causes foes, particularly Trick Room setters and Smeargle, to have a much easier time against Crobat by preventing a single use of Taunt.
Added most of these, although I planned to expand some of them better in the written analysis (like the Tailwind/Super Fang stuff). Also I'm not sure how common Mental Herb Smeargle is...?

Last edited:
  • With Haze being in OO I honestly think its best to leave it out of the overview
  • For Lum berry mention that it also makes Crobat able to check Scarf Smeargle as well, since it uses the Lum Berry to wake up and then Taunts it
  • In usage tips, mention how it is especially useful to Super Fang the Primals, since they often carry Water Spout / Eruption, and they are also very difficult to OHKO so softening them up with Super Fang to help eliminate them with the use of a teammate is very nice due to their insane offesive prescence.
Other than that this looks pretty good, QC 1/2

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Analysis should mention that Talonflame gives it competition in regards to Quick Guard and Tailwind supports. Talonflame has superior offensive presence and can set up Tailwind before getting Prankster Taunted. It also functions better under Trick Room. Crobat's biggest advantage over Talonflame is flinch immunity, allowing it to do whatever it wants to if the opponent has Fake Out pressure.

I personally believe that Haze is one of the big things setting Crobat apart from Talonflame, and that it should be slashed in to the main set. However, its usage is rather low so I'd hold off on that. Haze should at least get a bit more credit in the OO though - it's one of the very few moves that can nullify Follow Me + Geomancy (something Whirlwind would have some issues with).

Prankster Taunt is a major counter to Crobats lacking Mental Herb as it bypasses Crobat's Speed. Mega Gengar is also a huge counter if Crobat lacks Brave Bird, as it can sometimes find itself being trapped and not doing anything while the opponent picks off Crobat's ally. This is especially true if the partner is another Ghost (usually Sableye). Sableye can Taunt Crobat and leave it hopelessly Super Fanging the ghosts while the duo combines Gravity/Hypnosis/Hex/Foul Play to wipe out the partner.

Speaking of Gengar, the combination of Gengar + Crobat lead fares well against Big 6 for the most part (Talonflame can give it some trouble, but there are workarounds and the duo doesn't have a losing matchup with Kyogre in the back), but I guess getting in the specifics into an analysis is tough. I felt like mentioning that out there.

I read your post as soon as you wrote it but I totally forgot to reply, whoops. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Some comments:
Analysis should mention that Talonflame gives it competition in regards to Quick Guard and Tailwind supports. Talonflame has superior offensive presence and can set up Tailwind before getting Prankster Taunted. It also functions better under Trick Room. Crobat's biggest advantage over Talonflame is flinch immunity, allowing it to do whatever it wants to if the opponent has Fake Out pressure.
Added to the Overview. I'm not really sold on the Trick Room part, because the only thing Talonflame is better at is attacking and setting up Tailwind (which is not... ideal), whereas the comparison holds in terms of utility. I'm adding it, but I'd like to hear some more opinions as well.

I personally believe that Haze is one of the big things setting Crobat apart from Talonflame, and that it should be slashed in to the main set. However, its usage is rather low so I'd hold off on that. Haze should at least get a bit more credit in the OO though - it's one of the very few moves that can nullify Follow Me + Geomancy (something Whirlwind would have some issues with).
I agree on this. The first skeleton had Haze slashed on the main set, but I later removed because it's not really used enough to deserve it. Again, some other opinions should settle the issue. I mentioned the Follow Me + Geomancy thing, though.

Prankster Taunt is a major counter to Crobats lacking Mental Herb as it bypasses Crobat's Speed. Mega Gengar is also a huge counter if Crobat lacks Brave Bird, as it can sometimes find itself being trapped and not doing anything while the opponent picks off Crobat's ally. This is especially true if the partner is another Ghost (usually Sableye). Sableye can Taunt Crobat and leave it hopelessly Super Fanging the ghosts while the duo combines Gravity/Hypnosis/Hex/Foul Play to wipe out the partner.
I guess I can add this to the Ghost-types C&C part.

Speaking of Gengar, the combination of Gengar + Crobat lead fares well against Big 6 for the most part (Talonflame can give it some trouble, but there are workarounds and the duo doesn't have a losing matchup with Kyogre in the back), but I guess getting in the specifics into an analysis is tough. I felt like mentioning that out there.
Not sure about this, isn't it a bit too specific?

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Jibaku about Crobat + Gengar. Crobat + Mega Gengar does an exceptionally good job at shutting down Smeargle + Xerneas if played correctly so I think Mega Gengar deserves a slot in team options. Speaking of partners I think Mega Kangaskhan makes a solid partner as it can utilize Fake Out to give Crobat an easier time to set up Tailwind. Also Super Fang aids Kangaskhan in breaking down the ubers at a faster rate.

Other than that the write up looks good QC 2/2 :]

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
generally you don't need the two commas in "blah blah, in particular, blah blah", but I'll leave that up to you!
GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]
Crobat stands out as one of the most reliable leads of the metagame. Its outstanding base 130 Speed, which allows it to outspeed every relevant Pokemon bar Mewtwo and Mega Gengar, is complemented by a wide utility movepool that includes moves such as Taunt, Tailwind, and Quick Guard. Taunt, in particular, is especially useful, as it allows Crobat to function as a reliable check to other leads such as Smeargle, which has lower Speed and often runs status moves only. In addition to these unique traits, Crobat's decent defensive typing makes it a good check to Xerneas, as it resists Fairy-type attacks while also being able to stop Geomancy thanks to Taunt. However, Crobat's use throughout a game is heavily limited, as its mediocre 85 / 80 / 80 bulk doesn't allow it to repeatedly switch into moves that it doesn't resist. It is also heavily reliant on its teammates, as it doesn't have any offensive presence besides Super Fang, which deals less damage each turn and cannot KO foes at all. Lastly, Crobat faces competition as a fast utility-based Pokemon from Talonflame: it the latter has an optimal base Speed, has access to Quick Guard and Taunt, and can set up Tailwind before getting Taunted by a Prankster user thanks to Gale Wings. However, Crobat's Inner Focus makes it immune to Fake Out, and its access to Haze gives it a better matchup against setup sweepers.

[SET]
item: Lum Berry / Mental Herb / Sitrus Berry

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Super Fang removes 50% of the foe's health without taking into consideration its typing and resistances, allowing Crobat to easily deal with bulky foes such as Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. Tailwind doubles the Speed of Crobat and its allies for four turns, turning slower offensive teammates into fast threats. Taunt prevents Pokemon such as Cresselia and Smeargle from using their own status moves, and it works extremely well in conjunction with Crobat's great Speed. Quick Guard protects Crobat's partner from common priority moves such as Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out, Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch, and Rayquaza's Extreme Speed.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows Crobat to survive some weak or unresisted attacks, whereas 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are necessary to ensure it moves before its foes. A Lum Berry helps against status conditions, in particular sleep and paralysis, and allows Crobat to reliably check Smeargle by absorbing one Dark Void and Taunting it the following turn. Mental Herb can be used as an alternative item, as it nullifies a Taunt coming from Prankster users, such as Sableye, or faster Pokemon. An EV spread of 44 HP / 236 Def / 228 Spe is a viable option to always avoid being OHKOed by Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge.

Usage Tips
========

Crobat should be used as a lead to disrupt the opposing team as soon as possible. Use Taunt if Crobat is against defensive Pokemon or setup sweepers; otherwise, either start spamming Super Fang to damage the foes as much as possible or set up Tailwind to better deal with the opponent's team the following turns. If Crobat and its partner are against common users of priority moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, consider using Quick Guard as well. Crobat can also be used to secure a sweep for a teammate mid- or late-game; however, keep in mind that it should be be brought in only after a teammate has fainted or on a predicted resisted move, as its subpar bulk doesn't allow it to live survive particularly powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Powerful wallbreakers benefit the most from Tailwind's Speed boost and the linear (maybe "consistent"? or "fixed") damage dealt by Super Fang. Mega Kangaskhan, in particular, makes for an exceptionally good partner, as it can help Crobat use his its moves more safely thanks to Fake Out and can KO most foes after Super Fang damage with a Parental Bond-boosted Double-Edge. A leading duo consisting of Crobat and Smeargle can provide an early advantage for its teammates, as the former can set up Tailwind while the latter uses a protecting move the first turn, and then they can proceed to spam Super Fang and Dark Void, respectively, the following one turn. On a similar note, Crobat and Mega Gengar fare well against most Pokemon combinations, including the common Smeargle and Xerneas. Bulky offensive Pokemon such as Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre are also good options, as they can take advantage of Tailwind while also maintaining some defensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Haze or Whirlwind can be run over Quick Guard as an emergency move against setup sweepers and Moody Smeargle, although these are better dealt with in other ways. Haze, in particular, is also effective against the Follow Me + Geomancy combination. Brave Bird can be used as an alternative and more reliable source of damage, but Crobat's uninvested Attack stat is fairly too low to weaken the foes significantly. If running Brave Bird, a Jolly nature and 31 Attack IVs should be used as well. Hypnosis can work well in conjunction with Crobat's great Speed, but its unreliability makes the move not worth using; however, it can be run as a niche strategy with specific Pokemon (do you mean teammates here?), such as Gravity Sableye.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Powerful Attackers**: Crobat's bulk is only mediocre, and it cannot take repeated hits from powerful attackers such as Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and Mega Kangaskhan.

**Mewtwo and Mega Gengar**: Mewtwo and Mega Gengar, although not very common, can Speed tie with Crobat and OHKO it with ease; the latter is also immune to Super Fang.

**Ghost-types**: If not running Brave Bird, Crobat has no way of damaging Ghost-types such as Mega Gengar, Giratina, Sableye, and Giratina-O. Sableye, in particular, has access to Prankster and can bypass Crobat's Speed and Taunt. Moreover, a leading duo of Sableye and Mega Gengar can make Crobat useless while the two Ghost-types deal with its partner.

**Mental Herb**: Pokemon running Mental Herb can avoid Taunt for and proceed to cripple Crobat or its partner. In particular, most Trick Room setters can can also nullify Crobat's great Speed and the Speed boost from Tailwind.

sorry if i miss anything, havent done this in a while

BUT i was reading this anyway so i thought why not

add remove comment (these are optional!)

[OVERVIEW]
Crobat stands out as one of the most reliable leads of the metagame. Its outstanding base 130 Speed, which allows it to outspeed every relevant Pokemon bar Mewtwo and Mega Gengar, is complemented by a wide utility movepool that includes moves such as Taunt, Tailwind, and Quick Guard. Taunt, in particular, is especially useful, as it allows Crobat to function as a reliable check to other leads such as Smeargle, which has lower Speed and often runs status moves only. In addition to these unique traits, Crobat's decent defensive typing makes it a good check to Xerneas, as it resists Fairy-type attacks while also being able to stop Geomancy thanks to Taunt. However, Crobat's use throughout a game is heavily limited (this is okay, but I think you could rephrase this to something like "However, Crobat's utility diminishes throughout the game, as its..."), as its mediocre 85 / 80 / 80 bulk doesn't allow it to repeatedly switch into moves that it doesn't resist. It is also heavily reliant on its teammates, as it doesn't have any offensive presence besides Super Fang, which deals less damage each turn and cannot KO foes at all. Lastly, Crobat faces competition as a fast utility-based Pokemon from Talonflame: it , which has an optimal base Speed, has access to Quick Guard and Taunt, and can set up Tailwind before getting Taunted by a Prankster user thanks to Gale Wings. However, Crobat's Inner Focus makes it immune to Fake Out, and its access to Haze gives it a better matchup against setup sweepers.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Super Fang removes 50% of the foe's health (is it worth mentioning current health? up to you) without taking into consideration its typing and resistances (maybe remove the mention of typing as it does not hit ghosts "without taking into consideration its resistances,"), allowing Crobat to easily deal with bulky foes such as Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. Tailwind doubles the Speed of Crobat and its allies for four turns, turning slower offensive teammates into fast threats. Taunt prevents Pokemon such as Cresselia and Smeargle from using their own status moves, and it works extremely well in conjunction with Crobat's great Speed. Quick Guard protects Crobat's partner from common priority moves such as Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out, Mega Mawile's Sucker Punch, and Rayquaza's Extreme Speed. (i think you should remove the pokemon ("common priority moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Extreme Speed.") because barring espeed the neither of the other two are really unique to those pokemon)

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows Crobat to survive some weak or unresisted attacks (do you mean "weak or resisted"?) , whereas (i like "while" over "whereas") 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are necessary to ensure it moves before its foes. A Lum Berry helps against status conditoins conditions, in particular sleep and paralysis, and allows Crobat to reliably check Smeargle by absorbing one Dark Void and Taunting it the following turn. Mental Herb can be used as an alternative item, as it nullifies a Taunt coming from Prankster users, such as Sableye (if you want to use an example here, isn't thundurus a better one?), or faster Pokemon. An EV spread of 44 HP / 236 Def / 228 Spe is a viable option to always avoid being OHKOed by Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge.

Usage Tips
========

Crobat should be used as a lead to disrupt the opposing team as soon as possible. Use Taunt if Crobat is against defensive Pokemon or setup sweepers; otherwise, either start spamming Super Fang to damage the foes as much as possible or set up Tailwind to better deal with the opponen'ts opponent's team the following turns. If Crobat and its partner are against common users of priority moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, consider using Quick Guard as well. Crobat can also be used to secure a sweep for a teammate mid- or late-game; however, keep in mind that it should be be brought in only after a teammate has fainted or on a predicted resisted move, as its subpar bulk doesn't allow it to live particularly powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Powerful wallbreakers benefit the most from Tailwind's Speed boost and the linear (kind of a weird word choice, maybe something like consistent idk) damage dealt by Super Fang. Mega Kangaskhan, in particular, makes for an exceptionally good partner, as it can help Crobat use his its moves more safely thanks to Fake Out and can KO most foes after Super Fang damage with a Parental Bond (i don't think this is really necessary since it's the only ability mkang can use anyway) Double-Edge. A leading duo consisting of Crobat and Smeargle can provide an early advantage for its teammates, as the former can set up Tailwind while the latter uses a protecting move the first turn, and then proceed to spam Super Fang and Dark Void, respectively, the following one turn. On a similar note, Crobat and Mega Gengar fare well against most Pokemon combinations, including the common Smeargle and Xerneas. Bulky offensive Pokemon such as Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre are also good options, as they can take advantage of Tailwind while also maintaining some defensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Haze or Whirlwind can be run over Quick Guard as an emergency move against setup sweepers and Moody Smeargle, although these are better dealt with in other ways. Haze, in particular, is also effective against the Follow Me + Geomancy combination. Brave Bird can be used as an alternative and more reliable source of damage, but Crobat's uninvested Attack stat is fairly too low to weaken the foes significantly. If running Brave Bird, a Jolly nature and 31 Attack IVs should be used as well. Hypnosis can work well in conjunction with Crobat's great Speed, but it's its unreliability makes the move not worth using; however, it can be run as a niche strategy with specific Pokemon, such as Gravity Sableye.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mental Herb**: Pokemon running Mental Herb can avoid Taunt for and proceed to cripple Crobat or its partner. In particular, most Trick Room setters can can also nullify Crobat's great Speed and the Speed boost from Tailwind.

looks pretty good, gp 1/2

im pretty sure i can still stamp stuff...

edit: well fuck i wasted 20 mins

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
piikachuu yeah you're welcome back any time :)

this is basically nothing lmao
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]
Crobat stands out as one of the most reliable leads of the metagame. Its outstanding base 130 Speed, which allows it to outspeed every relevant Pokemon bar Mewtwo and Mega Gengar, is complemented by a wide utility movepool that includes moves such as Taunt, Tailwind, and Quick Guard. Taunt, in particular, is especially useful, as it allows Crobat to function as a reliable check to other leads such as Smeargle, which has lower Speed and often runs status moves only. In addition to these unique traits, Crobat's decent defensive typing makes it a good check to Xerneas, as it resists Fairy-type attacks while also being able to stop Geomancy thanks to Taunt. However, Crobat's utility diminishes throughout the game, as its mediocre 85 / 80 / 80 bulk doesn't allow it to repeatedly switch into moves that it doesn't resist. It is also heavily reliant on its teammates, as it doesn't have any offensive presence besides Super Fang, which deals less damage each turn and cannot KO foes at all. Lastly, Crobat faces competition as a fast utility-based Pokemon from Talonflame: the latter has an optimal base Speed, also has access to Quick Guard and Taunt, and can set up Tailwind before getting Taunted by a Prankster user thanks to Gale Wings. However, Crobat's Inner Focus makes it immune to Fake Out, and its access to Haze gives it a better matchup against setup sweepers.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows Crobat to survive some weak or unresisted attacks, while 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are necessary to ensure it moves before its foes. A Lum Berry helps against status conditions, in particular sleep and paralysis, and allows Crobat to reliably check Smeargle by absorbing one Dark Void and Taunting it the following turn. Mental Herb can be used as an alternative item, as it nullifies a Taunt coming from Prankster users, such as Sableye, or faster Pokemon. An EV spread of 44 HP / 236 Def / 228 Spe is a viable option to always avoid being OHKOed by Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge.

Usage Tips
========

Crobat should be used as a lead to disrupt the opposing team as soon as possible. Use Taunt if Crobat is against defensive Pokemon or setup sweepers; otherwise, either start spamming Super Fang to damage the foes as much as possible or set up Tailwind to better deal with the opponent's team the following turns. If Crobat and its partner are against common users of priority moves, such as Mega Kangaskhan, consider using Quick Guard as well. Crobat can also be used to secure a sweep for a teammate mid- or late-game; however, keep in mind that it should be brought in only after a teammate has fainted or on a predicted resisted move, as its subpar bulk doesn't allow it to survive particularly powerful hits.

Team Options
========

Powerful wallbreakers benefit the most from Tailwind's Speed boost and the consistent damage dealt by Super Fang. Mega Kangaskhan, in particular, makes for an exceptionally good partner, as it can help Crobat use its moves more safely thanks to Fake Out and can KO most foes after Super Fang damage with a Parental Bond-boosted Double-Edge. A leading duo consisting of Crobat and Smeargle can provide an early advantage for its teammates, as the former can set up Tailwind while the latter uses a protecting move the first turn, and then they can proceed to spam Super Fang and Dark Void, respectively, (extraneous, and likes to be overused) the following turn. On a similar note, Crobat and Mega Gengar fare well against most Pokemon combinations, including the common Smeargle and Xerneas. Bulky offensive Pokemon such as Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre are also good options, as they can take advantage of Tailwind while also maintaining some defensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Haze or Whirlwind can be run over Quick Guard as an emergency move against setup sweepers and Moody Smeargle, although these are better dealt with in other ways. Haze, in particular, is also effective against the Follow Me + Geomancy combination. Brave Bird can be used as an alternative and more reliable source of damage, but Crobat's uninvested Attack stat is too low to weaken foes significantly. If running Brave Bird, a Jolly nature and 31 Attack IVs should be used as well. Hypnosis can work well in conjunction with Crobat's great Speed, but its (double space) unreliability makes the move not worth using; however, it can be run as a niche strategy with specific teammates, such as Gravity Sableye.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mental Herb**: Pokemon running Mental Herb can avoid Taunt and proceed to cripple Crobat or its partner. In particular, most Trick Room setters can can also nullify Crobat's great Speed and the Speed boost from Tailwind.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)