1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Programming Cross-Platform Timer

Discussion in 'Technical Projects' started by Toast++, Aug 31, 2012.

?

Does this interest you?

1. Yes.

80.0%
  2. No.

20.0%
  1. Toast++

Toast++ o_o
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Researcher Alumnus
    The Smog Lead

I know that ZomgTimer has quite a few issues keeping it from being as good as it should be. As I've said before, I have no intention to revisit its code. I do not, however, want to leave our non-Windows users with anything less than the best.

The point of this thread is to gauge interest in this. This would run on Mac, Linux, tablets, phones and most anything else. It would be another option for Windows users, as well.

Feel free to post with suggestions/support/etc.
  2. Agonist

Agonist Minutes become hours when you wait, hope and regret
    is a Forum Moderator

this would be very much appreciated!
  3. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Mechanics Maniac!

I don't think we need yet another timer. It'll just confuse newcomers.

My 2005 Nokia phone's stopwatch works just fine, and if you can't adjust your delay by hand, you shouldn't be RNGing.
  4. religiousjedi

religiousjedi #ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Speak for yourself. While ZOMG Timer is usable, the features it lacks from younger brother Eon Timer makes it difficult in some parts to RNG (I.e. Entralink abuse).

So yes Toast, I'd love a new timer if it included the features Eon Timer includes.
  5. Toast++

Toast++ o_o
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Researcher Alumnus
    The Smog Lead

The features would definitely be there. The big issue is performance. Honestly, I'm a little concerned about that, but I've run a proof of concept on my old droid x without any hangups. With any luck, that will follow through into the actual project.
  6. coolbiz

coolbiz

I would love this for my (mom's) smart phone!
  7. ShortsTheory

ShortsTheory

I really like the idea, though I think it would be better if you could make an online JavaScript based timer, maybe with web-app support for Firefox and Chrome. Nevertheless, won't Zomg/Eon timer work using WINE for Linux? I haven't tested it, but WINE does a pretty good job of running Win32 application on Linux, in my case Ubuntu 12.04, Precise Pangolin.
  8. Toast++

Toast++ o_o
    The Smog Lead

That was actually what I was planning. I just like being a bit vague so no one has specific expectations.

Zomg will work on mac and linux just fine, but I stopped supporting it because it's too much of a pain to work with. And, though Eon should work in wine, it doesn't.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)