Crossing the line: RMT ft. Heracross

CROSSING THE LINE

Hey everybody!
So I have been wanting to make a team around Heracross for a LONG time, but somehow never got around to it - until now.
Without further ado, this is the team!

Heracross@Leftovers

Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

The center of the team, Heracross is VERY underrated in OU. Moxie means it can sweep unprepared teams. The Substitute set ensures Heracross can set up a sub as the opponent switches and proceed to 2HKO, getting the boost. Leftovers ensures I don't get stalled out by sand or hail, although I have thought of using a Salac berry instead to patch up Heracross's speed.

Roserade @ Black Sludge

Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest

My buffer against rain teams, Roserade helps with the defensive synergy of the team, gives me a "check" to Keldeo(I say check because E-belt still gets past) while also giving me spikes, which converts most of Heracross's 2HKOes to OHKOes, giving me tremendous support. HP Fire also helps me beat out Ferrothorn, a common lead

Landorus-Therian@ Leftovers

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lando-T does a lot of things for my team: it sets SR, stops Terrakion amongst other annoying pokemon, provides crucial coverage and can Turn out to Heracross, allowing to set-up. Pretty standard, and a pokemon that helps cover the defensive synergy of the team

Rotom-W@Leftovers

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Another check to rain teams, Rotom-W works well with Roserade as it covers for Roserade's glaring weakness to Fire and Flying attacks while in exchange, Roserade comfortably takes the Grass-type attacks aimed at Rotom-W. Discharge is used to spread paralysis(and doom), while Hydro Pump hits fairly hard. Will-O-Wisp helps burn out attackers so that Heracross can set up on them, while Pain Split gives it recovery.

Garchomp@Choice Scarf

Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
One of my favorite scarf users, Garchomp returns to revenge any pokemon looking to exploit Heracross's lack of speed. STAB Outrage and Earthquake hit the deck, while Dual Chop allows Chomp to kill any mons hiding behind Subs. Stone Edge gives EdgeQuake coverage, which is pretty standard.

Jirachi @ Expert Belt

Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 152 Atk / 208 SAtk / 148 Spd
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

One of the most versatile pokemon in OU, Jirachi can be a real pain to deal with. The mixed attacker set allows Jirachi to deal with a variety of pokemon, and lures in pokemon before smacking them with <insert coverage move here>. Jirachi also has a useful bag of resistances, allowing it to contribute to the defensive synergy of the team as well.

Threatlist:
Latios, unless Heracross is behind a sub or it isn't scarfed(in which case Jirachi/Garchomp can deal with it)

Mamoswine, although Rotom-W can deal with it pretty effectively

Any comments? I still think some of the sets could be improved(like Rotom-W), but overall I'm pretty happy with the team right now!

Last edited:
Hi there, I will be rating the team today. I am going to review each possible improvement, and flaws of each Poke individually:

I love the Sub set, which is easily his best set. It helps get over Edge's and Horn's poop accuracy. I honestly see nothing to change here.

Don't assume the Smogon sets are always perfect. That one comes close, but Bold Nature is better than Calm Nature, to further increase her frail Defense and allow her too further check Keldeo, by making Secret Sword do less damage.

--------->

I am not the biggest fan of Lando-T. His vulnerability to Ice, a common coverage type, and low Speed don't do him any favors. Naive makes him even more of a liability against Rain Teams. Heatran may be a better option, as he can run a Physically Defensive set, while still maintaining some form of Special Defense. He also hard counters Fire Types which your team has some trouble with. His weaknesses are in turn, covered by Rotom and Roserade.
Here is a set that I made a while ago, that has both Offensive and Defensive presence. It may not be as effective as it once was, but I like it better than Smogon's Heatran sets:

Heatran Leftovers
252 SpAtk/ 172 Def/ 76 SpDef/ 8 Spd Calm Nature

Lava Plume/ Fire Blast
Earth Power
HP Grass/ HP Ice
Stealth Rock

The moves are standard, which provide coverage and support. The EVs are strange, I will admit. 252 SpAtk hits brutally hard. The Def EVs and SpDef EVs allow him to be a sort of tank. 8 Spd, although minor, outspeeds Defensive Heatran every time. You can tweak the set to your liking, or even use a Smogon set if you see fit.

Really good, although with the loss of Lando, you need a new pivot. Volt Switch over Discharge should fix that problem quite nicely. Not to mention Discharge conflicts with WillOWisp.

ScarfChomp is by far my favorite revenge killer. Ever. Keep rocking.

Annoying as ever. *Angry Face* Just a small nitpick, you could try Icy Wind over HP Ice. The Speed Drop can help against many threats, and make Dragonite easier to deal with if Multiscale is intact. The Speed Drop also make Dragon Dancers much less threatening.\

Anyway, thats my 10 cents. Hope I helped and good luck!

You're garchomp has some powerful moves
Oops!
Anyway, thats my 10 cents. Hope I helped and good luck!
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Regarding your rate, I will in fact be testing Heatran over Lando-T when I get the time, but I do like the idea considering sun teams have been giving me some issues.

As for Icy Wind, I need to test it a little more: while the speed drops often help me win a match, the lack of power is something to consider!
Once again, thanks for the time you put in and I shall try these changes ASAP

heracross seems beter off scarfed to pull off late game sweeps tbh. The most common switchin to ur cross wud b landy t and sub dusnt help much there so keep tht in mind

celebi>roserade tbh..spikes is prob the only advantage and u dont hav a spinblocker

dont ever run rotom w without volt switch

scarf chomp is ok but can be put to beter use because u hav no wall breaker. sd chomp and mayb band chomp may seem a little bit more useful agaisnt those heavy stall teams

rachi is beter off sp def as u hav nothin to switch into latios

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)