1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Cryogonal (Analysis) [GP: 2/2]

Discussion in 'Uploaded Analyses' started by blarajan, Aug 7, 2011.

1. blarajan

blarajan i was born under the same star as shakeitup
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

[​IMG]
    http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/615.shtml

QC Checks: 3/3 (PK Gaming/Snunch/JabbaTheGriffin)

[Overview]

<p>Cryogonal's strange stat spread, access to Levitate, and useful support movepool set it apart from other run-of-the-mill Ice-types. Despite having an excellent base 135 Special Defense, a high base 105 Speed, and a usable base 95 Special Attack, Cryogonal is incapable of running a potent attacking set, as it is completely let down by its awful special movepool and abysmal base 30 Defense. Still, access to Rapid Spin in a tier infested with entry hazards, as well as other useful moves such as Recover, Haze, dual screens, and Toxic, is nothing to scoff at, and this makes Cryogonal a viable choice for any team needing a fast Rapid Spin user to keep entry hazards off the field, giving it a niche in UU.</p>

[SET]
    name: Rapid Spin
    move 1: Rapid Spin
    move 2: Recover
    move 3: Ice Beam
    move 4: Toxic / Haze
    item: Leftovers
    nature: Calm
    evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Due to the lack of Pokemon with access to Rapid Spin in UU, Cryogonal may find its way onto your team as the only Rapid Spin user with instant recovery. Rapid Spin allows Cryogonal to remove opposing entry hazards from the field. Recover is very important for Cryogonal; even though it is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes thanks to Levitate, it is weak to Stealth Rock because of its Ice typing. Accordingly, it needs to keep its HP high in order to repeatedly switch in and spin away hazards. Ice Beam provides a relatively strong STAB attack, and prevents Cryogonal from being Taunt bait. Finally, Toxic is used to cripple the plethora of physical attackers that love switching into Cryogonal. If Toxic is unnecessary, Cryogonal has access to Haze to stop Baton Pass chains and stop setup sweepers in their tracks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>252 EVs are put in both HP and Special Defense in order to maximize Crygonal's special bulk. Since Cryogonal will be fleeing physical attacks in any case, investing in its poor Defense isn't recommended. However, Cryogonal's poor Defense makes it incredibly susceptible to the move Pursuit; it is OHKOed by Pursuit from Choice Band Escavalier or Life Orb Houndoom. Accordingly, one can move the Special Defense EVs to Defense to allow it to survive such threats. Common physical attackers such as Victini, Bisharp, Heracross, and Snorlax pose huge problems for Cryogonal, as they can strike at its weak Defense. Thus, physical walls such as Weezing, Slowbro, and Dusclops make great teamamtes for Cryogonal. Likewise, special attackers with super effective attacks, such as Rotom-H and Nidoking, or with attacks such as Psyshock that target Cryogonal's Defense stat, such as Azelf, still hit Cryogonal really hard, regardless of its massive Special Defense. Other special walls such as Chansey can help Cryogonal with this problem. As Cryogonal does not invest in Speed, threats such as Jolly Heracross will outspeed it. To remedy this, you can invest in Cryogonal's high Speed stat enabling it to outspeed and use Rapid Spin first, though generally at the cost of its life. Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Moltres, Zapdos, or Zoroark appreciate Cryogonal's Rapid Spin support, as entry hazards make much harder for them to pull off a sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cryogonal has a few other options that it can consider. Because of its usable Special Attack and high Speed, an offensive Rapid Spin set can be used with an EV spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, a Timid nature, and a Life Orb. However, Cryogonal will be easily walled because, outside of Hidden Power, its best coverage option is Flash Cannon. Likewise, Cryogonal also has access to both Light Screen and Reflect, meaning a set consisting of Light Screen / Reflect / Recover / Rapid Spin can be used with a Light Clay. You must keep in mind that without Rapid Spin this is entirely outclassed by bulkier dual screen users such as Uxie. Finally, Cryogonal can use Frost Breath instead of Ice Beam in order to effectively check boosting threats such as Cosmic Power Sigilyph.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Cryogonal is checked by practically every physical attacker, as it will take massive damage from, if not get KOed outright by strong physical attacks. Choice Scarf Heracross does a great job at checking Cryogonal, as it outspeeds and OHKOes with Close Combat. Likewise, Pokemon such as Bisharp, Victini, Cobalion, and Poliwrath all resist Ice-type attacks and threaten Cryogonal with their super effective STAB attacks. Houndoom and Escavalier both resist Ice-type attacks as well, and can OHKO Cryogonal with Pursuit. Strong special attackers such as Moltres or Azelf also threaten Cryogonal due to the sheer power of their assaults. All in all, Pokemon with strong physical attacks or super effective moves can check Cryogonal with ease.</p>
  2. Focus

Focus I'm waiting you...

I am not sure if you are giving Cryogonal enough credit. First off, having Levitate is really a godsend for a spinner, even one with a rock weakness. That definitely deserves a mention. Then there is also that good Base 105 speed to take advantage of. On the screens set, I think I would rather run max speed and invest the rest in HP. Cryogonal also has access to Haze, Flash Cannon (for Froslass, I guess), and obviously Blizzard, which are some other move options.
  3. blarajan

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

I thought I mentioned Levitate, surprised I didn't. Editing that in. Haze isn't particularly worth it because of Frost Breath.
  4. breh

breh ● ︿ ●
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

Ice Beam >>>>> Frost Breath; mention the latter in OO.

the rest looks good.
  5. Fried Rhys

Fried Rhys

Haze is definitely better than Light Screen and Reflect on the first set and should at least get a slash.
  6. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Agreed. Siglyph isn't common enough to use Frost Breath.

Right. De-slash them both and mention them in AC. The set should look this:

name: Rapid Spin
    move 1: Rapid Spin
    move 2: Recover
    move 3: Ice Beam
    move 4: Toxic/ Haze
    item: Leftovers
    nature: Calm
    evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

I'm not sure I approve of dual screens but Rapid Spin, Recover and decent speed are good enough I guess.

QC APPROVED (1/3)
  7. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

don't forget to mention that anything with Pursuit ends Cryogonal if you use that EV spread. Choice Scarf Heracross does almost 80% on the switch, Choice Band Escavalier OHKOs, Mixed Attacker Houndoom OHKOs etc.
  8. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

Changes implemented.
  9. Snunch

Snunch
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 8th Official Smogon Tournament

Yeah dual screen set is bad. It's outclassed by a bunch of other dual screen users, and even behind reflect its not taking physical hits well at all. Rapid spin and recover just waste ds turns. I'm rejecting the DS set, but the other set gets my approval.

QC APPROVED 2/3
  10. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

11. pie cream

pie cream

maybe mention confuse ray in other options
  12. Super Mario Bro

Super Mario Bro All we ever look for

I think that we should consider investing in defense because, like Blissey, it makes a HUGE difference in its overall capability to take hits. Cryogonal's special defense is already sky high and doesn't really need to be maxed.

252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef Calm seems like a conservative spread.

Abomasnow's 0 Atk Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def ~nature Cryogonal: 86.3% - 101.5%

Abomasnow's 0 Atk Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 240 Def ~nature Cryogonal: 53.2% - 62.8%

Escavalier's 252 Atk CB Pursuit (on the switch) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def ~nature Cryogonal: 105.2% - 123.8%

Escavalier's 252 Atk CB Pursuit (on the switch) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def ~ nature Cryogonal: 64.8% - 76.5%
  13. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

Defense investment definitely helps it take physical hits. The point of Cryogonal, though, is to completely IGNORE physical hits. You don't want to take them because even most neutral attacks are ohkoing/2hkoing. I think it's better for Cryogonal in general just to invest in Special Defense, because tanking physical attacks is somewhat of a no-no.
  14. Kenpach2

Kenpach2

Am pretty sure bold is surely the better nature :+)
  15. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

this is your third stomp
  16. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

This has been entirely written up and awaits GP approval!
  17. Oglemi

Oglemi We broke it. Yes, we were naughty. Completely naughty.
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

You have to add <p> </p> tags around every paragraph, so your first paragraph should look like:

<p>Cryogonal is two sides of a coin. It has an excellent base 130 Special Defense stat, but has an absolutely abysmal base 30 Defense stat to go with it. It has an excellent base 105 Speed and base 95 Special Attack, but it has a horrendously shallow special movepool, making an attacking set unfeasible. It has an amazing defensive ability in Levitate, but is cursed as an Ice-type. Luckily, it has a myriad of useful support options, such as dual screens, Rapid Spin, and Recover, allowing it to fill a very specific slot on your team.</p>
  18. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

Oh, I'm really sorry. I'll edit those in when I'm at a computer. My fault.

edit: I put those in! Sorry for derping there.
  19. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Edit: lol nevermind something came up sorry bout that
  20. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

The repeated "it has" was to explicitly demonstrate the contrast.
  21. Homestarhydon

Homestarhydon

Very VERY minor nitpick here, but in the first paragraph you say "It has an excellent base 130 Special Defense stat" when it has base 135 special defense.
  22. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

Derp, fixed.
  23. Eternal

Eternal
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Add
    Remove
    Additional Comments

EDIT: Fixed some unnecessary changes.
  24. blarajan

Little Cup Co-Leader

Thank you for the check, Eternal. I implemented all of them except for the ones I strongly disagreed with.

I did not remove the first comma because that was an appositive phrase and required that last comma to make the sentence correct.

I did not remove the commas in the other options and just opted to remove the word though.

I did not change using to utilizing because I hate the word utilizing as it's very unnecessary when using does the job just as well.

I did not change "such as Uxie" to "like Uxie" because the grammar reference thing for analyses said use "such as" instead of "like" when listing examples.
  25. V0x

V0x I stay out too late
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I think you should change using to utilizing; Writing "using" and "used" in the same sentence is awfully repetitive. If you really don't like "utilizing," "consisting of" also avoids the repetition.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)