Cryogonal (Analysis) [GP: 2/2]

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/615.shtml

QC Checks: 3/3 (PK Gaming/Snunch/JabbaTheGriffin)

[Overview]

<p>Cryogonal's strange stat spread, access to Levitate, and useful support movepool set it apart from other run-of-the-mill Ice-types. Despite having an excellent base 135 Special Defense, a high base 105 Speed, and a usable base 95 Special Attack, Cryogonal is incapable of running a potent attacking set, as it is completely let down by its awful special movepool and abysmal base 30 Defense. Still, access to Rapid Spin in a tier infested with entry hazards, as well as other useful moves such as Recover, Haze, dual screens, and Toxic, is nothing to scoff at, and this makes Cryogonal a viable choice for any team needing a fast Rapid Spin user to keep entry hazards off the field, giving it a niche in UU.</p>

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Recover
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Toxic / Haze
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Due to the lack of Pokemon with access to Rapid Spin in UU, Cryogonal may find its way onto your team as the only Rapid Spin user with instant recovery. Rapid Spin allows Cryogonal to remove opposing entry hazards from the field. Recover is very important for Cryogonal; even though it is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes thanks to Levitate, it is weak to Stealth Rock because of its Ice typing. Accordingly, it needs to keep its HP high in order to repeatedly switch in and spin away hazards. Ice Beam provides a relatively strong STAB attack, and prevents Cryogonal from being Taunt bait. Finally, Toxic is used to cripple the plethora of physical attackers that love switching into Cryogonal. If Toxic is unnecessary, Cryogonal has access to Haze to stop Baton Pass chains and stop setup sweepers in their tracks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>252 EVs are put in both HP and Special Defense in order to maximize Crygonal's special bulk. Since Cryogonal will be fleeing physical attacks in any case, investing in its poor Defense isn't recommended. However, Cryogonal's poor Defense makes it incredibly susceptible to the move Pursuit; it is OHKOed by Pursuit from Choice Band Escavalier or Life Orb Houndoom. Accordingly, one can move the Special Defense EVs to Defense to allow it to survive such threats. Common physical attackers such as Victini, Bisharp, Heracross, and Snorlax pose huge problems for Cryogonal, as they can strike at its weak Defense. Thus, physical walls such as Weezing, Slowbro, and Dusclops make great teamamtes for Cryogonal. Likewise, special attackers with super effective attacks, such as Rotom-H and Nidoking, or with attacks such as Psyshock that target Cryogonal's Defense stat, such as Azelf, still hit Cryogonal really hard, regardless of its massive Special Defense. Other special walls such as Chansey can help Cryogonal with this problem. As Cryogonal does not invest in Speed, threats such as Jolly Heracross will outspeed it. To remedy this, you can invest in Cryogonal's high Speed stat enabling it to outspeed and use Rapid Spin first, though generally at the cost of its life. Pokemon such as Rotom-H, Moltres, Zapdos, or Zoroark appreciate Cryogonal's Rapid Spin support, as entry hazards make much harder for them to pull off a sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cryogonal has a few other options that it can consider. Because of its usable Special Attack and high Speed, an offensive Rapid Spin set can be used with an EV spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, a Timid nature, and a Life Orb. However, Cryogonal will be easily walled because, outside of Hidden Power, its best coverage option is Flash Cannon. Likewise, Cryogonal also has access to both Light Screen and Reflect, meaning a set consisting of Light Screen / Reflect / Recover / Rapid Spin can be used with a Light Clay. You must keep in mind that without Rapid Spin this is entirely outclassed by bulkier dual screen users such as Uxie. Finally, Cryogonal can use Frost Breath instead of Ice Beam in order to effectively check boosting threats such as Cosmic Power Sigilyph.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Cryogonal is checked by practically every physical attacker, as it will take massive damage from, if not get KOed outright by strong physical attacks. Choice Scarf Heracross does a great job at checking Cryogonal, as it outspeeds and OHKOes with Close Combat. Likewise, Pokemon such as Bisharp, Victini, Cobalion, and Poliwrath all resist Ice-type attacks and threaten Cryogonal with their super effective STAB attacks. Houndoom and Escavalier both resist Ice-type attacks as well, and can OHKO Cryogonal with Pursuit. Strong special attackers such as Moltres or Azelf also threaten Cryogonal due to the sheer power of their assaults. All in all, Pokemon with strong physical attacks or super effective moves can check Cryogonal with ease.</p>

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I am not sure if you are giving Cryogonal enough credit. First off, having Levitate is really a godsend for a spinner, even one with a rock weakness. That definitely deserves a mention. Then there is also that good Base 105 speed to take advantage of. On the screens set, I think I would rather run max speed and invest the rest in HP. Cryogonal also has access to Haze, Flash Cannon (for Froslass, I guess), and obviously Blizzard, which are some other move options.

I thought I mentioned Levitate, surprised I didn't. Editing that in. Haze isn't particularly worth it because of Frost Breath.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ice Beam >>>>> Frost Breath; mention the latter in OO.

the rest looks good.
Agreed. Siglyph isn't common enough to use Frost Breath.

Haze is definitely better than Light Screen and Reflect on the first set and should at least get a slash.
Right. De-slash them both and mention them in AC. The set should look this:

move 4: Toxic/ Haze

I'm not sure I approve of dual screens but Rapid Spin, Recover and decent speed are good enough I guess.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
don't forget to mention that anything with Pursuit ends Cryogonal if you use that EV spread. Choice Scarf Heracross does almost 80% on the switch, Choice Band Escavalier OHKOs, Mixed Attacker Houndoom OHKOs etc.

Yeah dual screen set is bad. It's outclassed by a bunch of other dual screen users, and even behind reflect its not taking physical hits well at all. Rapid spin and recover just waste ds turns. I'm rejecting the DS set, but the other set gets my approval.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think that we should consider investing in defense because, like Blissey, it makes a HUGE difference in its overall capability to take hits. Cryogonal's special defense is already sky high and doesn't really need to be maxed.

252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef Calm seems like a conservative spread.

Abomasnow's 0 Atk Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def ~nature Cryogonal: 86.3% - 101.5%

Abomasnow's 0 Atk Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 240 Def ~nature Cryogonal: 53.2% - 62.8%

Escavalier's 252 Atk CB Pursuit (on the switch) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def ~nature Cryogonal: 105.2% - 123.8%

Escavalier's 252 Atk CB Pursuit (on the switch) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def ~ nature Cryogonal: 64.8% - 76.5%

Defense investment definitely helps it take physical hits. The point of Cryogonal, though, is to completely IGNORE physical hits. You don't want to take them because even most neutral attacks are ohkoing/2hkoing. I think it's better for Cryogonal in general just to invest in Special Defense, because tanking physical attacks is somewhat of a no-no.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
You have to add <p> </p> tags around every paragraph, so your first paragraph should look like:

<p>Cryogonal is two sides of a coin. It has an excellent base 130 Special Defense stat, but has an absolutely abysmal base 30 Defense stat to go with it. It has an excellent base 105 Speed and base 95 Special Attack, but it has a horrendously shallow special movepool, making an attacking set unfeasible. It has an amazing defensive ability in Levitate, but is cursed as an Ice-type. Luckily, it has a myriad of useful support options, such as dual screens, Rapid Spin, and Recover, allowing it to fill a very specific slot on your team.</p>

Oh, I'm really sorry. I'll edit those in when I'm at a computer. My fault.

edit: I put those in! Sorry for derping there.

Very VERY minor nitpick here, but in the first paragraph you say "It has an excellent base 130 Special Defense stat" when it has base 135 special defense.

Add
Remove
Additional Comments

QC Checks: 3/3 (PK Gaming/Snunch/JabbaTheGriffin)

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Cryogonal is two sides of a coin. It has an excellent base 130 Special Defense stat, but has an absolutely abysmal base 30 Defense stat to go with it. It has an excellent base 105 Speed and base 95 Special Attack, but it has a horrendously shallow special movepool, making an attacking set unfeasible. It has an amazing defensive ability in (Levitate), but is cursed as an for being an Ice-type Pokemon. Luckily, it has a myriad of useful support options, such as dual screens, Rapid Spin, and Recover, (remove comma) allowing it to fill a very specific slot on your team.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Toxic/Haze

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Due to the lack of Pokemon with access to Rapid Spin in UU, Cryogonal may find its way on your team as the only Rapid Spinner with instant recovery. Rapid Spin allows Cryogonal to remove opposing entry hazards from the field. Recover is very important for Cryogonal, as well; (you already mentioned it in the first sentence) even though it is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes because of due to Levitate, it is weak to Stealth Rock by nature of its Ice typing. Accordingly, it needs to keep its HP high to let allow it to switch in to the field and spin away hazards. Ice Beam provides relatively strong STAB, and keeps it from being Taunt bait. Finally, Toxic is used to cripple the plethora of physical attackers who love to switch in to Cryogonal. If this is not necessary, though, Toxic is unnecessary, Cryogonal has access to Haze which it can use to stop Baton Pass chains and to prevent set up sweepers. Because Cryogonal's Defense stat is so poor, it is better to maximize its special bulk, as you would try to avoid physical attacks like the plague when using that would wreck Cryogonal. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Unfortunately, because of Cryogonal's lack of Defense, it is incredibly susceptible to the move Pursuit, and can be being OHKOed by Pursuit from Choice Banded Escavalier or by Life Orbed Houndoom using it. Accordingly, one can move the Special Defense EVs into Defense, to allow it to live these moves survive such threats. Likewise, Pokemon such as Cofagrigus, with high physical bulk, make good partners for Cryogonal.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Cryogonal has a few other options that it can consider. Because of its high offensive stats, an offensive Rapid Spin set can be used with an EV spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe, a Timid nature, and a Life Orb. However, this is relatively hard to pull off because, (outside of Hidden Power), Cryogonal's best coverage option is Flash Cannon. Likewise, Cryogonal also has access to both Light Screen and Reflect, meaning a set using utilizing Light Screen / Reflect / Recover / Rapid Spin can be used with a Light Clay. You must keep in mind, though, (remove commas) that without Rapid Spin this is entirely outclassed by dual screeners such as like Uxie. Finally, Cryogonal can use Frost Breath instead of Ice Beam in order to effectively check Cosmic Power Sigilyph.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>Cryogonal is checked by practically every physical attacker ever. It will be taking big damage will be taking a lot of damage from strong physical attacks. from attacks that hit it on its very weak Defense stat, so you You have to do your best to keep Cryogonal away from such assaults.</p>

[DREAMWORLD]

<p>Cryogonal did not receive a Dream World ability.</p>
EDIT: Fixed some unnecessary changes.

Thank you for the check, Eternal. I implemented all of them except for the ones I strongly disagreed with.

I did not remove the first comma because that was an appositive phrase and required that last comma to make the sentence correct.

I did not remove the commas in the other options and just opted to remove the word though.

I did not change using to utilizing because I hate the word utilizing as it's very unnecessary when using does the job just as well.

I did not change "such as Uxie" to "like Uxie" because the grammar reference thing for analyses said use "such as" instead of "like" when listing examples.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you should change using to utilizing; Writing "using" and "used" in the same sentence is awfully repetitive. If you really don't like "utilizing," "consisting of" also avoids the repetition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)