1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Crystal cloning glitch : enhanced edition

Discussion in 'Historical Threads' started by MeroMero, Feb 19, 2011.

1. MeroMero

MeroMero

Overview :

The 2nd generation of hand-held games Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal has brought us their amount of glitches, but there is a pretty big one (or at least it seems) that was left undiscovered until recently.
    This glitch an amelioration of the cloning glitch, now here are the steps to follow :

You only need 3 things :
    _at least 1 cartridge Pokémon Gold, Silver or Crystal;
    _at least 1 GBC or GBA system;
    _sometimes it requires patience to get it right so don't give up.

(As of May 1st, 2011) It works in all three versions Gold, Silver and Crystal.

About the glitch itself

[​IMG]
    Original Mew

[​IMG]
    Original Celebi

You probably know how to clone in GSC, even if you don't here is a reminder :
    Deposit a Pokémon in the PC;
    Save the game, and when it says "Saving, don’t turn off the power." shut down the GBC just before the last period appears (Gold & Silver) or shut down the GBC about 1/2 second after you see the last period (Crystal);
    Now you have a poke on the PC and the same poke on the party.

Well, here is a little variation of the cloning glitch, the multi-cloning :
    _Step 1 : Choose an empty box ;
    _Step 2 : Deposit 2 to 5 Pokémon in the PC (here 2 Pokémon are put in the PC, in this case Mew and Celebi) ;
    _Step 3 : Save the game, and when it says "Saving, don’t turn off the power." shut down the GBC about 1/2 second after you see the last period (Crystal) ;
    _Step 4 : Withdraw the 2 cloned Pokémon, save the game ;
    _Step 5 : Deposit the 4 Pokémon in the PC (the 2 originals and the 2 clones) ;
    _Step 6 : See Step 3 ;
    _Step 7 : Repeat Steps 5 to 6 until you Box contains 16 Pokémon ;
    _Step 8 : Deposit the 2 clones in your party to the PC ;
    _Step 9 : See Step 3 ;
    _Step 10 : Repeat Step 8 so now you have a full box of clones and the 2 originals in your party.

Your box should have the following disposition :
    A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3, A4, B4, A5, B5, A6, B6, A7, B7, A8, B8, A9, B9, A10, B10
    where A is the first Pokémon and B the second one (in this example Mew is the Pokémon A and Celebi the Pokémon B), the number are irrelevant, they are here so it is a little easier to understand .

Now here is the trick :
    Withdraw the first Pokémon in the box ;
    Deposit it again in the same box ;
    The new disposition should be : B1, A2, B2, A3, B3, A4, B4, A5, B5, A6, B6, A7, B7, A8, B8, A9, B9, A10, B10, A1 ;
    Save the game, and when it says "Saving, don’t turn off the power." shut down the GBC about 1/4 second after you see the last period (Crystal) ;
    The timing here as to be even more precise so your can increase the odds for the glitch to be successful ;

If you manage to make the glitch work, one the following should happen :
    1) Pokémon might have switched their nicknames (usually when this happens all Pokémon in the box are affected ; useless for the most part) ;
    2) Pokémon switched their DVs ;
    3) Pokémon switched their moves ;
    4) Pokémon switched their body ;
    5) Pokémon switched their levels (rare) ;
    6) A combination of 2/3/4/all of the 5 phenomenons might happen ;
    It should be noted that Pokémon who are at the bottom of the box have a higher probability to be glitched than those at the top.

Pokémon switched their DVs :

If one of your Pokémon have DVs of 15 in all stats, have a party.
    With this one, the only requirement would be to catch a wild Pokémon with a DV of 15 in Defense and a DV of 7 or 15 in Special (1 chance in 128) , preferably Magikarp/Gyarados since Magikarp's eggs take the lowest amount of steps to hatch, then perform glitch where Pokémon A is Magikarp and Pokémon B is Ditto, and since Ditto's genes are always the one whose offspring inherit regardless of their gender (in this case Magikarp), your offspring will have a 1 in 512 chance in having DV of 15 in all stats, the biggest advantage is that now you only need to do the breeding part only once since with the glitch any Pokémon can more or less quickly obtain max genes.
    Due to how Shiny Pokémon are generated in GSC, you can also use this glitch to turn non-shiny Pokémon into Shiny Pokémon.
    Another boon is that thanks to this glitch, DVs and hidden power for legendary Pokémon are no longer problems.

[​IMG]
    Celebi inherited Mew's DVs

Pokémon switched their moves :

This is useful when it comes to the following moves:
    _Sketch ;
    _Metronome ;
    _Selfdestruct ;
    _Explosion ;
    _Transform ;
    For Sketch it's not that important, but for the other 4 it is because they are the only moves who cannot be Sketched in GSC.

Pokémon switched their body :

Probably the best glitch who can happen.
    “What is that ??? I don't even !” is what you might be thinking at this one, well this glitch is detected like this (you have to check the Pokemon status while you are navigating into your PC's box) :
    _We have a Pokémon B6 (Celebi) but it has the sprite of Pokémon A (Mew) ;

[​IMG]
    Mew gained the ability to learn Celebi's moves whereas Celebi gained the ability to learn Mew's moves.

It basically means that you have Celebi but with the ability to learn Mew's Level-up moves, TM-HM moves and Move Tutor moves; during a fight it will appear as a Celebi, if you check the Pokémon status it will appear as Mew.

[​IMG]

Celebi learning Earthquake despite not being compatible with the TM26.

To cure the glitch deposit Celebi to the Day Care and withdraw it back and Celebi will be cured but it will retain the moves it has learned from Mew's movepool.

[​IMG]
    While Celebi was "Mew-hybrided", it learned several moves it couldn't learn normally

Now the big thing with the body-switch is obviously Mew for its ability to learn every TM/HM and Move Tutor moves, and Smeargle for its ability to learn Sketch, it basically means that ANY of the 251 Pokémon can learn ANY combination of 4 of the 251 moves available in GSC era.

Concerning the last point, there is no doubt it's probably ending banned from competitive play, as the simple prospect of everyone learning everything without need of external device is frightening and would just reduce battles to Pokémon who have the best stat distribution and Spore/Baton Pass Electrode since back to time it was the fastest Pokémon available, but that's just me talking.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

What do you think about this glitch? Feel free to ask any question.
  2. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Interesting, I've recently put together a set of Pokemon Online client/server data files for the Mimic glitch in later gens, which also allows any move. A discussion can be found here. Today I sent them to someone who has a friend who can host. Since PO has third gen, it should be fairly simple to add the moves which are made possible by this glitch and we'll get to playtest them.

hm, so, in short, there should be no legality issues and all Pokemon can get every move? Even with the unsketchable moves, you could merge a Pokemon with them onto a Smeargle, then sketch the moves you want and merge to the final target? Should be much easier to implement correctly than later gens would be.
  3. MeroMero

MeroMero

You got it right, it's really a free-for-all as there is no restriction for any of the 251 Pokémon concerned, so legality issues are a no concern.

For the unsketchable moves, it's exactly how you have to do.
  4. Destiny Warrior

Destiny Warrior also known as Darkwing_Duck
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Theorymon will love this metagame.

Interesting glitch.
  5. tomtom5858

tomtom5858

This is really cool. Thanks for posting it ^^

DW, I heartily agree.
  6. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

When we finally got Pokemon- up, this happens...

oh shit.
  7. SupremeDirt

SupremeDirt

More glitch metagames.

This also means RBY with any move as well.

Now we just need a similar glitch for ADV, the glitch server would be pretty epic.
  8. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

Does Pomeg count?
  9. Ryner

Ryner

Sound like an awesome glitch.

Thanks! I'll try it out later. :pimp:
  10. bonbeurrej

bonbeurrej

Crystal cloning glitch enhanced edition

tried forcing me out of near front of the line on a BIG day once. not a good scene.anyone seen burtons poacher challenge? it should have included fing crystal on there.ciao,mc
  11. Zowayix

Zowayix

Does this work on G/S, or only Crystal?
  12. Inconsequential

Inconsequential

@Zowayix: It says in the introduction: Any of the three games Crystal, Gold and Silver will work.
    Yay for first post.
  13. Inconsequential

Inconsequential

Fail double post, I'm sorry.
  14. Inconsequential

Inconsequential

@Zowayix: It says in the introduction: Any of the three games Crystal, Gold and Silver will work.
    Yay for first post.
  15. MeroMero

MeroMero

I tested in my Silver ver[​IMG]sion and it works, but of course the timing is different.[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In G/S, you have to shut down your GB in that short margin (screen 2) after the moment you press A (screen 1) and before the moment the S of SAVING appears (screen 3), otherwise it works exactly in the same fashion as Crystal does.

I edited the first post to reflect that.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  16. The Crown

The Crown

I can finally get my Rock Slide Aerodactyl I've always wanted (legit). No more GameShark needed O_O
  17. The Crown

The Crown

I have a baby Aerodactyl, lvl 5. This glitch will only allow me to get Rock Slide w/o Wing Attack right? Because no Pokemon that knows Rock Slide can learn Wing Attack? What if I do this :glitch: when Aerodactyl only has 2 moves? And I do it with a Machop that only knows Rock Slide? :jajajaja:???

I want Rock Slide / Wing Attack / Earthquake (TM) / Fire Blast (TM).

But I don't know how to get Rock Slide on Aerodactyl and keep Wing Attack.
  18. MeroMero

MeroMero

^

There are 2 ways to solve your problem:

1. Instead of using Machop, you should use Smeargle who can proceed to Sketch both Rock Slide and Wing Attack
    2. You can also breed for a Charmander since it learns Rock Slide by breeding, and then evolve it all the way into Charizard, the later of which can learn Wing Attack instantly after it evolves at level 36.
    Hoping that will help :)
  19. The Crown

The Crown

I'll attempt the Smeargle idea, thanks! I do not know where I can Sketch Rock Slide besides Machamp @ Elite 4 :s, I am at the Elite 4 now and I haven't proceeded because I wanted to buy Silver to get Kingdra but I still haven't done so (lol). Wing Attack seems easy to Sketch.
  20. The Crown

The Crown

I attempted to clone my pokemon. And my game fucked up wtf >_<

I want moar Dragonite w/ Barrier so I can re-trade it back to Red >:D

Crystal Recieved: Mr. Mime w/ Confusion + Barrier, Dragonite w/ Diff. moves.

Red Recieved: Ditto and Aerodactyl (filler trades to get Dragonite w/ Mr. Mime).

I put Dragonite and Mr. Mime in Box 10, 0/20 pokemon in here. Quivilia remains.

I try cloning and it works, I see 2/20 in box now while having Dragonite and Mr. Mime still in party.

I go to box to withdraw and game goes to blank screen :clap:

EDIT: DID THE SAME THING IN BOX 13, aND NOW IT'S FUCKING GOING TO THE BLANK SCREEN AS WELL WHEN I TRY WITHDRAWING THESE FAGGOTS.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)