ORAS Doubles OU Cute Skymin

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

she amazing though

Welcome to Cute Skymin!
Once upon a time this noob called Meloetta wanted to build a team around one of his favourite Pokémon! In my about 4 months I have been in the Doubles community, this has become one of my favourite Pokemon, not only to use but Skymin also just looks pleasing :o
Shaymin-Sky is such an incredibly strong Pokémon to just simply use. A lot of people think Shaymin-Sky is just purely based on the 60% flinch chance from Air Slash, but people who say that are severly underrating Shaymin-Sky :(

Anyways, if you have a suggestion on how to positively change this team, I'd like to hear it in a reply here :o

I'd like to say before you go reading this: I do not know what exactly went around in my head when I was building this team. This is just a very probable thought process:

Obviously this was our main point of building the team, I don't think I have to explain why I chose Shaymin-Sky n_n

hmm I want something that is able to get hit by ice types and doesnt give much fucks...hmm what is a good ice type? oh kyurem-black, that's pretty amazing offensively, so why not add it on the team, it adds a lot of versatility and coverage

well what else should I add? at first I probably didn't want to use kangaskhan because kanga is a little bit too standard and I might've wanted to use megagross, but I was afraid that it would be a little bit too fire weak so I went with Kangaskhan anyway because that's maybe even the best pokemon in the meta

this gotta be one of my most often used pokemon, even though I think skymin just fucks up rain in general, what else could we do to mess around with it? add thundurus to the mix. it isn't a heavy hitter but it can certainly make it scary to throw in your poli, or even ludicolo or kingdra because thundurus has prankster thunder wave. other than that it can shut down trick room setters with prankster taunt and in general thundurus is such a good mon

i needed something that could just switch into landorus-therian, and you could make a case for kyube already being a lando-t counter but it gets wrecked by rock slide + superpower so that isn't viable, and there is nothing else in the game that just basically denies landorus-therian, apart from landorus-therian itself. he can do good damage with his moves :o

goddamn what a good mon, it hits other kangas super effectively which we didn't have in the past also we have a quick guard user here now which can make it super handy for ppl using fake out and stuff like prankster t-wave

@ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Air Slash
Shaymin-Sky is an amazing Pokémon that delivers so much power to a team. Teams are instantly a LOT more scary if you see a Shaymin-Sky.
Obviously the Focus Sash is there to live, considering Shaymin-Sky is fairly frail Pokémon that has a lot of trouble taking hits, even if it are neutral ones. You could use Life Orb here but it's fairly disencouraged by me, even though that's the ultimate nuke.

The spread is probably self-explanatory, you're aiming to do as much damage possible at high speeds. Timid Nature just makes it so you don't lose versus other Shaymin-Sky and the more speed the merrier usually anyway.

Seed Flare does so much damage;
252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 408-480 (126.3 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 408-480 (125.9 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Politoed: 372-438 (96.8 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Suicune: 306-362 (76.6 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Rotom-W: 284-336 (93.4 - 110.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 223-264 (69.9 - 82.7%) --guaranteed 2HKO

As you see, you do tons of damage versus your opponents. Also don't forget the Serene Grace boosted Sp. Def drop chance.
Air Slash basically ruins lifes and tournaments and matches, the 60% chance to flinch your opponent is an amazing boost to something that already deals tons of damage. It can save you in the most difficult situations, there are even people that think is Shaymin-Sky is broken :^) but don't listen to those people because Shaymin-Sky is perfectly viable and the #1 reason why I love using Hyper Offense so much.
Earth Power just grants the opportunity to hit opposing Steels so you don't get completely walled out. Especially Heatran is an important thing you beat with Earth Power, but it's also noticeable that you can deal a lot of damage to other threats like Mega-Metagross.
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Ice Beam​

This Pokemon is why there isn't world peace
Kyurem-Black is an insane savage that, once his Substitute is up, just goes completely wild and destroys your house, wife, children, animals and won't let go no matter what colour you are, what gender you are, how you look like irl, or to whatever team you brought. It is so easy to steamroll with Kyurem-Black.
We're using the Subsitute set because this is the best set, and its so strong once its up. His Ice/Ground coverage is just so extremely devastating that basically nothing wants to get in onto it, Kyube is the real mvp
Adamant Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge​

This Pokémon is a lord. I love the way how it's almost impossible for Kangaskhan to make your team worse, she just fits in on basically every team. You have 5 Pokémon, and no mega yet? Use Kangaskhan. That's probably what happened with this team. Kangaskhan is such an insane threat in the metagame...and even though I couldn't imagine this meta without Mega-Kangaskhan!

I run this spread generally because I love the fact that you can just go full speed & attack and just wreak havoc. You can always use a bulkier spread and different moves but yk this kanga is best kanga

Seismic Toss Kangaskhan just made me love her so much, she just does 200 static damage, that's crazy >:ooooo you could always use power-up punch but I hate the chip damage it does even though you probably have the biggest threat of the meta once you're up at +2
Also Drain Punch/Low Kick could be used here but who the fuck even uses that lmao
oh yeah also one important thing; it doesn't matter if you just got paralyzed or burned you just do 200 static damage like wtf you 2hko anything in the game
Sucker Punch and Fake Out are just so incredibly important on Kangaskhan, Sucker Punch makes it a little difficult for ghosts to stay in and play mind games whereas Fake Out just delivers so much utility it's crazy
And Double-Edge is a go-to move that just deals TONS of damage, it's like you pull a fokn trigger with it you destroy everything that's even a little frail in the meta, at the cost of taking damage but w/e take it like you're a kamikaze17 pilot or you're a terrorist you just use this move and you kill yourself but you take the rest of the team with you too. w e w
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt​

wew. If you think this Pokemon is bad i'd like to say hello this is my most used pokemon on all my doubles teams, and that's because this bitch is crazy strong.

now it looks like a weird spread and that's because thundurus is obviously more for the utility than the strength it delivers so for it to use it's utility, it needs to be able to live as long as he possibly could and that's what this spread helps with:
252 hp is just there so you can take a few hits and it also is needed for EVing for the Def and SpD
28 Def is there to live Mega-Metagross Ice Punch, I know it's a really rare benchmark but hey it's a benchmark and I don't get fucked over by a weird metagross.
80 SpD is there to live substitute kyurem-black ice beam, so wew that's a lot of damage
24 Speed is there to outspeed other thundurus that run 20 speed, you can obviously get a bigger speed creep of 28/32 speed
the rest is just dumped into SpAtk even though it's not a heavy hitter, again it can be invested in def/spdef if you want to take a few more hits.
Also the Calm nature is necessary to live Kyurem-Black's Ice Beam.

We just run the good Thundurus set, because I didn't feel any reason to use anything differently. We go for Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice. There's basically not really a good reason to run flash cannon as it is a slow thundurus and slow thundurus with flash cannon is useless???
Now we come to the part that makes thundurus so good in my opinion; the combination of his utility moves and his ability. Prankster makes it so that you have priority paralyzes and taunts in which you can basically shut down trick room setters, attackers that you have trouble with etc etc it's an amazing Pokemon in my opinion :D
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower​

the beast, the true man, the myth, the legend, the one pokemon on your team that made your opponent quit: Landorus-Therian

Now look at what it's ability is, Intimidate, which on it's own is already a top class ability due to the fact that you're able to cripple your opponent properly with Intimidate bc they can't do damage, also you can just get in, use U-turn and come back and before you know their physical attacks do 0
Now Earthquake is standard and just good move, also Superpower, I've never actually encountered a situation where I could go in with lando-t and ohko something with superpower, but when I'll go running superpower I'll probably miss it so I gotta stick with that :/
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect​

xd my little pony memes incoming! really though, where have all bronies been? they were like everywhere on the internet and it feels like they're all gone for some reason? idk i don't miss them

Let's not forget how good fighting coverage is you basically deal tons of damage to threats like mega-kangaskhan that try to beat you, also you have Quick Guard that protects you vs brave birds from talon and thunder waves from thundurus etc so yeah good mon m.a.a.d. city
also scald is just so incredibly useful for crippling physical attackers because the burn rate seems like it's 100% it's really good
s/o to
qsns for telling me my kyube evs suck and helping me posttt
SpaceBass for being a cool lad
13ulbasaur for being always so happy, how do you do it?
Laga for tutoring me
qwerts for getting mad at me after each league game, but still not hating me <3
pomodoro for being a cute tomato
Social for having a nice haircut
Nido-Rus for having a cute avatar
but mainly
s/o to Hashtag for being such an amazing guy trying to help with everything, i really hope we can play a lot more in the coming time n_n
also this guy fixed the art tysm for it

even though if I don't have you in this list of shoutouts, don't worry, you're probably a cute user

taylor swift (Shaymin-Sky) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Air Slash

cute (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Ice Beam

riven is bae (Kangaskhan) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge

supahotfire (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 124 SpA / 80 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

what career (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

chiyuki (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Last edited:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Needs more shameless links to your Kang Analysis imo. Nice looking team Melo, with shrop level drawings as well.

I do however have to agree with qsns in saying the Kyu-B EVs could be improved (more bulk helps its sub from being broken, while I'm not too sure what you are outspeeding there). A few relevant benchmarks I would be considering is Heatran (various speeds), Adamant Bisharp and Jolly Breloom. Kang's set is quite interesting due to Seismic Toss, but I will need to test how good this is as I have never used it lol.

I also think it may be worth trying something like Protect over HP Ice, as you already have a couple of mons which OHKO Lando (more is always good though) - this is just a thought, HP Ice is still a solid choice regardless of my probably bad innovation here. Protect does help you conserve the bulky side of your team though , and is a nice tech as it is uncommon on Thundy, so may catch some people and their double targets off guard. It also helps preserve it for stopping TR go up, and stalling out turns when it is up, as the team is weak to it.

Running 212 Speed on Lando-T helps you get the slower U-Turn off more often, while still outspeeding all relevant threats (dunno if 252 speed helps with anything other than other Landos); and adding bulk.

Overall a nice team, with the nicknames to make it a top tier threat.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Needs more shameless links to your Kang Analysis imo. Nice looking team Melo, with shrop level drawings as well.

I do however have to agree with qsns in saying the Kyu-B EVs could be improved (more bulk helps its sub from being broken, while I'm not too sure what you are outspeeding there). A few relevant benchmarks I would be considering is Heatran (various speeds), Adamant Bisharp and Jolly Breloom. Kang's set is quite interesting due to Seismic Toss, but I will need to test how good this is as I have never used it lol.

I also think it may be worth trying something like Protect over HP Ice, as you already have a couple of mons which OHKO Lando (more is always good though) - this is just a thought, HP Ice is still a solid choice regardless of my probably bad innovation here. Protect does help you conserve the bulky side of your team though , and is a nice tech as it is uncommon on Thundy, so may catch some people and their double targets off guard. It also helps preserve it for stopping TR go up, and stalling out turns when it is up, as the team is weak to it.

Running 212 Speed on Lando-T helps you get the slower U-Turn off more often, while still outspeeding all relevant threats (dunno if 252 speed helps with anything other than other Landos); and adding bulk.

Overall a nice team, with the nicknames to make it a top tier threat.
hi, I already changed the Kyurem-Black EVs to what qsns suggested in the chat, but I think the other 2 suggestions aren't really good, I'm just not a fan of running HP Ice Skymin, or 4 attacks for that matter. Also you don't want to lose vs other Landos because as you know it flinches all the time and you kinda need to force the speed tie imo

Thanks for your input though! =)

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
hi, I already changed the Kyurem-Black EVs to what qsns suggested in the chat, but I think the other 2 suggestions aren't really good, I'm just not a fan of running HP Ice Skymin, or 4 attacks for that matter. Also you don't want to lose vs other Landos because as you know it flinches all the time and you kinda need to force the speed tie imo

Thanks for your input though! =)
Ah, okay. I was meaning change HP Ice on Thundurus to Protect, not the other way around on Skymin lol. Sorry if I was unclear :[

solid team offensive as fuk i look forward to tryin this shit out.
things i might edit
slower kyurem for more power
talonflem or aegis over thundy
uh
yeah
edit: and probably the nicks

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Where are your Charizard Y switchins

Keldeo doesn't count because you're using Scald, you could maybe have a chance if you had Hydro Pump but no you chose Scald. Also Wide Guard WP Aegislash gives you major issues without Hydro Pump. Get rid of Scald

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)