1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Cyclohm Analysis Workshop

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by Magmortified, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beej

Beej
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Okay, let me just say that I think there should be absolutely NO physical sets in the analysis. Even mixed is stretching it. There is no reason to resort to Volt Tackle at all, considering its only benefit is that it does more damage to Blissey while Thunderbolt basically hits everything else harder and is a much more reliable attack in general. The Curse set sacrifices a tremendous amount of attacking freedom entirely for the sake of gimmick.

Volt Tackle should be OO and Curse probably shouldn't be mentioned at all.
  2. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

Seconding what Beej said; I've had zero success with a Dragon Dance set (any bulky Ground walls it) while if you start cursing then your opponent can easily switch in their own Cyclohm and Draco Meteor your ass off. Mixed sets are sort of "meh", as they don't break any serious walls.
  3. Plus

Plus walk into da club like whaddup i gotta big cock
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I don't see why people are really getting all shits and giggles about taking down Blissey. A shitload of things deal with Blissey in OU; it's a complete waste of potential on cyclohm.
  4. benthenoob

benthenoob

I haven't tested since the first week - and I know it can't pressure stall - but I really liked sub/slackoff/toxic/thunderbolt sets when paired w/ something like Dugtrio.

404 subs w/ plenty of EV's to spare to invest into whatever stat you'd like.
    I think it's at least other options worthy
  5. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

This sounds decent enough now, but I don't think it will be viable at all when Fidgit comes back on the ladder, so I don't believe it deserves a set.
  6. zarator

zarator Credits to Mos-Quitoxe for the cute sprite^^
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

Should we implement other CAPs in Cyclohm's Team Options and Counters sections?
  7. Stellar

Stellar dreams and adventure
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

I noticed that the Bulkohm EVs were pretty bad and tried to achieve certain things that aren't exactly "feasible", so I'm working on engineering better EVs for the set atm. Everyone on IRC agreed with the EV change and the removal of Surf in favor of Flamethrower, so I'll update this post in a bit once I get everything sorted out.

[SET]
    name: Bulklohm
    move 1: Discharge / Thunderbolt
    move 2: Dragon Pulse
    move 3: Flamethrower
    move 4: Slack Off
    item: Leftovers
    nature: Bold
    ability: Shield Dust / Static
    evs: 188 HP / 204 Def / 108 SpA / 8 Spe

Is the new bulkohm spread and set. I'll write up comments later.
  8. benthenoob

benthenoob

That may be true. Stupid Fidgit =p
  9. Caelum

Caelum qibz official stalker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Eh, I'm bored right now.

I'll fix grammar issues later if no one else comes along (I'd prefer to just edit it in myself, but I can't heh. I'm not used to reading analysis without being able to edit them =/). Anyway, you don't actually list both abilities with an ability tag if they are both viable (particularly if you have a discussion section in the analysis). That's if you're trying to mimic the Smogon style anyway.

These EVs seem incredibly arbitrary. Since Cyclohm is utilizing Slack Off for some survivability, the Life Orb recoil number isn't that significant. There are bizarre scenarios that could probably justify it, but you should be using Slack Off before you get to the point where the minute HP difference from Life Orb recoil even makes a difference. It would be more useful to find a special attack number that guarantees a few important KOs and put the rest in HP. With Life Orb, this is primarily offensive and the EVs should really reflect that.

Also, your set comments should justify why Hydro Pump is necessary. Why are we foregoing a 95-base power, 100% accurate move? You need to address if it guarantees some KO like against Heatran, Tyranitar etc.

On a Choice Specs set you should either be constantly spamming Draco Meteor / Thunderbolt; unless you predict what is coming and you know something that resists it. In the case of the Fire-move, you are basically just looking to take out Steel-types (Pyroak is neutral to it and Celebi just barely takes a Specs Draco Meteor), and you nearly OHKO or do OHKO every Steel-type (252 HP Metagross can survive like 12% of the time after SR) with a Specs Flamethrower; so why use Overheat with it's less than perfect accuracy and -2 drop? From your comments, it appears the Water-move is dependent on your choice of fire move so I see no moveset issues with just removing it since it has no obvious value.
  10. tennisace

tennisace brock you like a hurricane
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Spamming Hydro Pump when it first comes out is usually the best strategy imo, I've swept entire teams like that because nobody switches in Grass/Water types first. People go straight to TTar or a steel type like Scizor (not counting Blissey, but you can't do much about Blissey).
  11. Stellar

Stellar dreams and adventure
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

Just letting everyone know that I'm planning to go back through and make sure everything is corrected and such when all the comments have been somewhat finalized.
  12. TAY

TAY You and I Know
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Closed at the request of some CAP bigwigs.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)