1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

D-D-D-D-D-Drop the bass: a BW2 RMT

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by GatoDelFuego, Aug 18, 2012.

1. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego I'm not ready 4 freddy
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

My name is GatoDelFuego, and this will be my first BW RMT. I'm not a well-known user, but I have lurked for many months and tried to get involved with the smogon community. My teams are mostly unsuccessful, but every now and then I manage to create something actually viable. This was one of those times, and the team has been working great, getting me to a respectable point on the PS ladder. I hope that everyone enjoys reading this RMT as much as I enjoy using it.

I have been sickened with Black and White since its inception. The metagame has always been really stale, and I wondered how I could make it interesting again. Recently, many changes have been occurring in Black and White with BW2's release so soon. Genesect, Meloetta, and Keldeo along with many other dream world abilities. This is mainly what inspired me to devote myself to a new team, as I was eager to try out Genesect. My first team that I made failed so bad, so I went back to the drawing board to create this. This team has breathed new life into my competitive attitude, and has been really fun to play with in general. In fact, I might consider it one of my all time favorite teams to use. Without further ado, let it begin!

The team at a glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In detail:
    [​IMG]
    Scary Monsters @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Stream
    156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Tyranitar occupies a spot once taken by Haxorus, but this fits far better in the role. I use it in the lead spot to try and fake out users about the nature of my team, but Tyranitar was actually the last spot to be filled. I wanted a source of raw physical power to muscle past walls, and I found that and much more with Choice Band Tyranitar. The attack level is so gigantic with this thing, and while it might not always find the time to take out multiple targets, it always finds the time to take out one. Stone Edge and Crunch serve as fuel for the massive fire Tyranitar makes, but Pursuit is the critical move here. With it, I can not only trap the Latis, but also fleeing weather users that seek to give their team an advantage. My team does not benefit much from sand, but that's heavily preferred to 100% accurate Hurricanes and boosted Chlorophyll speeds. Superpower acts as a way to get past Ferrothorn, something that has given me a surprising amount of trouble if Genesect goes down.

Honestly, what better name could be made for this? Tyraintar is as scary as the monsters get.

[​IMG]
    Nice Sprites @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Roar

Vaporeon is a great pokemon for this team. As one of the central factors is pseudo-volturn offense, my offensive pokemon can get worn down quickly. Vaporeon resists all of Landorus' and Genesect's weaknesses, so it's very easy to come in and set up a wish to pass to almost anybody. Vaporeon also has one of the healthiest wishes in the game, able to fully restore Bronzong. While mono-attack coverage is not exactly preferred, Roar has saved me more than once when faced with a dangerous set-up sweeper or wish pass of the opponent. While Jirachi may have more use, Vaporeon outclasses it in my opinion. The fire resist and ability to reliably check rain teams more than make up for anything Jirachi has over Vaporeon.

Tyranitar and Vaporeon work well with each other to take on weather threats, and vaporeon is definitely the more benevolent of the two, hence its name.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The Instrument @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Earthquake

Bronzong is massively underrated. That's all I'll say on the subject...all right, I'll praise it a bit more. Its niche as a fabulous mixed wall goes simply unnoticed, and it is a fantastic use of Stealth Rock. Many people have forgotten how hard this is to take down, as well as the damage it can cause in the process. Mostly used as a Dragon sponge, Bronzong pulls it weight every time. Gyro Ball, Hidden Power Ice, and Earthquake provide surprisingly good coverage, and useable attacking stats allow it to dent whatever it's walling. While lack of reliable recovery is a bit annoying, a quick pop in from Vaporeon and Bronzong is all juiced up and ready to go. As I said already, a Wish from Vaporeon will fully power up Bronzong, and all of the opponent's work to wear it down will be for naught. To top it off, Vaporeon relieves Bronzong of its only weakness.

Bronzong IS a bell, so it is a real instrument...however, I chose its name based on the fact that many artists today use computers to make their songs.

[​IMG]
    Ghosts N' Stuff @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Gengar is one of the greatest pokemon to use in the metagame right now. Most of the time it can come in and set up a substitute, it can honestly sweep unprepared teams cleanly. For those rare times when something manages to break Gengar's substitute, I can disable the move and set it right back up again. Breloom was overhyped greatly when BW2 was first released, and the new offensive sets cry even more when this thing comes in. Techniloom won't be doing anything to me when I'm immune to its STAB priority. Speaking of immunities, 3 of them allow Gengar to come in off a friendly U-turn from Landorus and Genesect to set up easy substitutes. Surprisingly, when it comes down to it, Gengar can be surprisingly bulky, living Flamethrowers, etc. from Genesect, albeit not at +1.

Gengar's name comes from my favorite Deadmau5 song.

[​IMG]
    DJ Landorus @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sand Force
    12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
    Naive Nature
    IVs: 30 SAtk
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power Ice

Landorus is just great. While it pained me not to use his new therian forme, as Intimidate is truly amazing, this version does much more for me. When I have Sand up from Tyranitar, Landorus can hit like a truck and still have massive speed with a Choice Scarf. Landorus is the first part of my U-turn combo, and is mainly physical. However, it still uses HP Ice to revenge kill dragons that Genesect cannot. There's really not much to say about Landorus, unfortunately, but it partners so well with Genesect and performs perfectly to what my team needs.

You can't say that Landorus doesn't look like he's wearing a boss pair of headphones on that genie head of his.

[​IMG]
    Ghetto Blaster @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Download
    8 Atk / 252 SAtk / 248 Spd
    Hasty Nature
    - U-turn
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower

Oh, my, how the best has been saved for last. This is without a doubt the Pokemon that will define the very BW2 metagame. If you don't have a means to answer to this monster, you're straight up dead. I monkeyed around with a Choice Scarf Genesect set, but found that it is FAR to easy to revenge kill. But, that got me thinking...people will almost always assume that this thing is scarfed, and that is their undoing. Forming the second half of my U-turn combo, Genesect can often initiate the cycle on a slower, bulkier Pokemon, keeping the Choice Scarf illusion intact. Many times I can come in on Ferrothorn, grab a Special Attack boost, kill it with Flamethrower, then have them switch to Gyarados to set up and watch it die to a Thunderbolt. Or I can "mispredict" a switch to keep the opponent in and kill it with the appropriate move. If you think that Blissey is safe from the onslaughts, think again. Recently I did over half damage to a Blissey with a U-turn off an Attack boost, catching them completely by surprise. While Genesect's Speed will always be the one annoying thing about it, it's probably the one thing that kept him from going Uber. And that's one thing I'm glad for, since it means I'll be abusing this bad boy for as long as I can.

If you need an explanation of Genesect's name, click here.

Well, gentlemen, that's all from me. Please, comment and suggest any improvements to this team; I'm glad for any suggestions. Once again, thank you for reading, and a good day to everyone.

Importable:
    Show Hide
    Scary Monsters (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

The Instrument (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    IVs: 2 Spd
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earthquake

Ghosts N' Stuff (Gengar) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Nice Sprites (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Roar

DJ Landorus (Landorus) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
    Naive Nature
    IVs: 30 SAtk
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Ghetto Blaster (Genesect) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SAtk / 248 Spd
    Hasty Nature
    - U-turn
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower

2. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

Hey GetoDelFuego,
    when looking through your team I noticed a large weakness to common fast special attackers with good coverage, such as; Tornadus-t, Genesect, and most of all: Thundurus-t. Nothing on your team can reliably switch-in on Thundurus-t because it hits almost all your pokemon for super effective damage with the correct coverage move, and Bronzong is 2HKOd and Gengar is OHKOd with Thunderbolt and your only way of dealing with Thundurus-t is too revenge with Landorus / gengar. All the pokemon listed above are huge threats and if you manage to lose landorus it's probably gg. Another huge problem is Venusaur / Victreebel, once Tyranitar is trapped with Dugtrio and your team is slightly weakened, Victreebel / Venusaur sweep your entire team. Although I like Vaporeon, I don't think it's a very good special wall. I suggest you run Blissey over vaporeon. Blissey does the same job as Vaporeon does; passing wishes and tanking special hits, with the added bonus of beating Thundurus-t, Venusaur / Victreebel (As long as you run Thunder Wave) and the rest of those problematic special threats.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team :)

Wish Support Blissey (open)

[​IMG]
    Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Seismic Toss
    - Thunder Wave
  3. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

Well, Doom, I had considered using blissey for quite a while, but the only thing holding me back entirely was its typing. Vaporeon may not be the best physical wall, but at least it gives me something that can take a resisted hit or two, namely from Infernape, Cloyster, or unboosted Lucario. While getting protection from the above threats might be good, I don't know what I'd do without a fire resist. That is the main reason I used Vaporeon over Jirachi in the first place. I'll have to try it out!

Dragonites are also a problem using blissey. Mostly what I have learned in BW2 is that everything is so offensive in the first place that if you start trying to counter everything you leave your team vulnerable anyway. Sometimes, I will have to sacrifice something against, say, Thundurus, to get a safe switch, but that's what you just have to do this generation, unforutanately.
  4. GatoDelFuego

Mentor

Bumping as it would be nice to get some additional advice on the team.
  5. XxpokemonmasterXx

XxpokemonmasterXx

This team is perfect dude, 11/10. Do not change a thing.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)