[D&D] Philosopher's Stone War III

Ok, so first, it was really fun playing in this. I enjoyed playing two evil characters who were both very insane. As in, want-to-end-the-world insane. Tom Jones aka Tom Smith aka Tom Henson, as well as, well, Loki. I wanted Assassin because of how I botched Rogue last game, and wanted to make a decent showing this time. I think I achieved that.

For the fights: at first, I fled (such as the bridge bombing from TAS and Walrein), but I killed Walrein's inquisitor day 2 when he tried to ambush me in the forge. He escaped because I didn't realize what the mechanics were for seeing my web spell jostled... eesh.

In the park, I fought GS twice. First time, he had see invis against my undead (hi, market bombing), and I fled, but not before realizing he was Knight. So, I doubled back with Bird!Loki and was able to burn almost all of his near-maximum mana and claimed an order, albiet at severe wounding of me. This was negated when I was healed by Quags, though, who teamed up with me and VB.

Quags and I smashed HD using Scry-and-die, forcing him to scram with an order, as well as learning he might be Berserker from his acting. We later went and destroyed Walrein, who was under Aandvarinaut Curse - Silver and Gold from PSW I would like to say, "hi," except Aandvarinaut claimed the order Walrein was going to flee with, so he used his TM, prompting MY TM, which resulted in his invisible master dying fast.

In Lia Fail - yes, I was weakened, but I figured with VB there, we would stand a chance, but I didn't anticipate von's stunt. I almost managed to escape to city terrain, where I could have turned it around into guerilla warfare. Ah well, I was forced to order. I got quags to heal me again, though, and we later "teamed up" with von to slay Knight, but then he used his second order, and I scrammed at very low HP. Come final day, quags decided I had outlived my usefulness, thereby destroying the last villain of the game, giving Loki, the one who had naught but treachery on his mind, a death by irony, and preventing me from using my Guerilla tactics to destroy pretty much everyone.

Plans
Spreadsheet of info

So yeah, I think I did well at playing an insane character, and I loved the death by irony. In future PSWs, if I get in, I will not hesitate to play a villain, unless I have a better idea, because, well, these games need a villain.

(PSW I: chaotic, PSW II: good, PSW 2.5 [playtest]: evil, PSW III: animals.)

Also, here's something you won't see in my long postgame: my magic aura, like my eyes, and like my faint tinge to my skin, was green. Green as in the green magic of manipulating the arena, buffs, debuffs, etc. Basically, not direct attacks. Eyes? Not that uncommon. Tinge to my skin? A transmutation gone wrong years ago turned Tom's blood copper based, rather than iron, meaning blood was green, rather than red.

So, why did I go Transmutation? Well, I saw great potential for the battleshaping to let me flank, and I liked being able to turn into a bird to fly onto a rooftop a few times per day. The +3 to CON was nice, too, as it let me, with Toughness and Favored Class, have a CON of effectively 22. Well, except for saves. As for why Loki...? I like the idea of a shapechanging assassin. Really good disguises, you see. Also, Mistletoe was awesome (seriously, instant returning, anarchic [vs knight, berserker, and savior, so 3/7 enemies fell to that], ignore DR (hi, Knight and Savior, I have a way to beat you now!) As for Aandvarinaut... just hilarious, as some people found fake founts that gave them fake mana, and it gave me a nice kill on Walrein.

((I USED MY 2K ON THIS, YOU HAD BETTER LIKE IT!))

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What were the best move(s)?

Anyway I watched a bit of this (although as the game dragged on it was hard to watch). I liked von's plays tho, and him metal gearing around early game was cool :)

((Can somebody explain the Von/tas happenings that resulted in tas' death to me?))

GJ Quags, I initially expected the Savior to be stabbed and not win but in the end the exact opposite happened :)

We should make a PSWIII feedback/PSW IV discussion thread in Circus or the subforum like we did for PSWIII so that we can calibrate expectations and philosophize about balance for PSWIV.

Man AG, how can you mention losing your second order, and not mention it was because a giant octopus teleported onto you?

((Can somebody explain the Von/tas happenings that resulted in tas' death to me?))
von invited tas for a non-violent talk, and I tagged along as well. Everybody left their weapons outside of the small building used for the talk, and the door was locked upon entering. von's master appeared to be talking, but was actually using Illusion of Calm, and stole tas's spell components pouch and hit him with Dimension Anchor.

Guan then took out a concealed weapon, von revealed what he had done, and forced tas to exit the war under threat of death.

Philosopher's Stone War III - Postgame

The longest PSW game in history is over, and this is the postgame post for it.

In general, I made quite a few design changes for PSW III, including increasing the overall power of Champions and adding a map. I won't discuss all of these in general, mainly because of there're going to be even more changes in PSW IV that make all of this irrelevant, but I will say that in general, I think design and balance worked out pretty well for this war. Everyone had some kind of dumb/broken power, which was actually what I was aiming for, and everyone had a competitive champion. I never had to buff anyone mid-game, although I did rework a few abilities because of how vague they initially were. Every class was encouraged to play according to how it was actually intended to function, with the exception of Rider because I had no idea what Rider's unique strategy really was.

I also included a very large number of beginners in this game. Walrein, GeneralSpoon, Vintage Books, and theangryscientist were completely new to PSW, while HD and Quagsires returned after poor showings in PSW I. Aura Guardian and vonfiedler were the only two veterans. My aim was to spread PSW to more people so that we could have a larger community, but this also had a few unintended side-effects.

The main effect was really to lengthen the game. The beginners weren't very good at killing enemies, because they neglected the existence of Dimensional Anchor and weren't that good at optimizing strategies either. In addition, they were also pretty unwilling to fight which is one of the reasons why we had a ten-month game. Another reason was lack of availability; some people weren't on often enough. In any case I was forced to really encourage players to fight, although once players started dying they all died pretty quick.

Another thing I'd like to say is that Champion abilities were very under-utilized in this game, which I supposed makes sense since players tend to just use abilities that they were familiar with over and over. It's just sad to see under-utilized kits. Most players were very passive in general and never made any plans, with the obvious exception of von and AG as well as GS.

Finally, everyone already knows this but with the exception of von and AG, most players didn't roleplay at all. While expected, this was still disappointing, but I'm sure AG will fix this next game by forcing players to put more thought into their characters, which certain players/characters (Walrein, GS, TAS, Quags come to mind) basically didn't do at all. Also, with the advent of PFS, I'm sure that more players will instinctively roleplay.

Walrein - The Sage - Edgar Allen Poe
From the diaries of Edgar Allen Poe:

My role in this bloody, senseless conflict has finally come to an end.

It has been no more than six hours since I watched the one who summoned me be stuck down, the glimmer of life in his eyes fading. I wept then, and even now I have trouble holding my pen steady.

There was a period where I wondered whether my continued existance in this world was necessary, now that the one who commanded me can no longer do so. Indeed, I considered returning to my rest, perhaps more permanently this time.

After all, this is the one who returned me to this world, the one who allowed me to create Montressor and the Inquisitor and my raven flock. This is the one who allowed me to use the powers that I was always forced to conceal in my first life. This is the one who gave me a second chance at life.

But then I realized that my second chance at life did not end with my master's death. I realized that the [illegible] who struck him down is an evil far more extreme than any I have witnessed before. I have never had strong desire to good in my life, but I now see that this abomination must be stopped at all costs, and I feel that any defeated master or champion would feel the same way.

I have bound myself to another magician, a benevolent man who is also providing me with lodging, and will fight for the legacy of my former friend.

Even in death, my master has managed to give me purpose.

Thank you, Lin.

Walrein (Lin)
Master 10
Chaotic Good
Init +2 Perception +14
---Defense---
AC 23, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 20
HP 167
Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +7
CMB +5 CMD 17
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Shadow School (opp Abjuration)
Spells Prepared
4 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 2+1 (Extra slots must be spent on Illusion spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense
Masters are able to sense the presence of Mana Founts automatically.

Create Mana Fount
Masters can create Mana Founts. Creating a Mana Fount takes 5 minutes and can be done twice per day.

Destroy Mana Fount
Masters can destroy Mana Founts. This ability does not destroy the designated object. Instead, it simply prevents the object from functioning as a Mana Fount.

Bond Senses
Masters can, as a standard action, share the senses of their Champion, hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting, and touching everything the Champion does. She can use this ability for 10 rounds a day. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. There is no range to this effect, but the Champion and the Master must be on the same plane. The Master can end this effect as a free action.

Greater Shield Ally
Whenever her Master is within a Champion’s reach, the Master receives a +4 circumstance bonus to her Armor Class and her saving throws. This bonus does not apply if the Champion is grappled, helpless, paralyzed, stunned, or unconscious. In addition, if the Master is within 30 feet of her Champion, she gains a +5 bonus to all saving throws against enemy Champion abilities.

---Statistics---
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
Feats: Deceitful, Duck and Cover, Alertness, Dodge, Toughness, Feral Speech, Combat Casting, Opposition Research (Conjuration)
Skills: Bluff +14, Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +10, Perception +14, Sense Motive +14, Stealth +12, Disguise +14, Disable Device +14
Languages: English, Chinese, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese, Arabic

Sage (Edgar Allen Poe)
Legendary Sage 20
Chaotic Neutral
Init +2 Perception +27
---Defense---
AC 24, Touch 17, Flat-Footed 22
HP 212
Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +15
CMB +10 CMD 22
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 35 ft.
+2 Dagger +12/+7 (1d4+2; x2)

Sage’s class skills are: Appraise, Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Heal, Knowledge (all), Linguistics, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.

Sage’s Theurgy
Sage gains access to two lists of select spells - one Divine and one Arcane.

Arcane;
Infinite;
Steal Voice (Duration nerfed to 1 day)
Disguise Other
Dragon’s Breath (Nerfed to 8d6)
Prepared;
3 Fly
Scrying
Teleport
Mislead

Divine;
Sanctuary
Bear’s Endurance (Already included in stats, except for The Raven)
Prepared;
3 Dispel Magic
2 Inflict Critical Wounds
Fickle Winds (Nerfed to -4 penalty on ranged attacks)
Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass

Apostles of the Sage

Sage starts the game with a number of minions. Only one of these minions can take offensive actions at a time. Sage may create a new copy of a dead minion each day at the cost of 150 mana, but can only do so after 24 hours have elapsed since the death of a minion.

The Cask of Amontillado

Edgar may turn mundane objects into traps that restrain his opponents. For the cost of 50 mana, Edgar may turn an object into a trap, which can be activated as a swift action. An activated trap projects a force field with a radius of 50 feet for 1 minute. No creature within the force field may physically leave the force field, although creatures outside the forcefield may enter normally. Alternatively, for the cost of 200 mana, the trapped object instead projects a force field where exit is impossible both via physical and dimensional means. Trapped objects lose this ability when they are subject to motion.

The Pit and the Pendulum

Edgar may summon a pendulum made of force as a swift action. On that turn, and every turn thereafter, he may cause all creatures in a 100 ft line originating from himself to take 2d8 damage. This damage increases by 1d8 every consecutive turn to a cap of 8d8, and is halved with a reflex save with a DC of 15. For the cost of 100 mana, the DC can be increased to 20. In addition, for the cost of 250 mana, Edgar may forgo the damage of this ability and instead force all creatures in a 100 ft line to make a Will save or be knocked prone and shaken. The DC of this save is 15 + the number of d8 die on that turn. For the cost of 350 mana, the DC of the save is instead 20 + the number of d8 die on that turn.

The Raven - “Nevermore.”

One of Edgar’s minions is a flock of ravens that can speak and understand human languages. For the cost of 50 mana per minute, either Edgar or his ravens may open a two-way mental link as a swift action. In addition, for the cost of 50 mana, Edgar may separate a single raven from the flock for one day. The cost of this ability doubles for each additional use in a day, such that the second use costs 100 mana and the third use costs 200 mana.

(Trademark Ability)
Once per day, for the cost of 200 mana, Edgar may dismiss all of his minions and instead summon The Raven, an extraordinarily powerful magical beast. All of his minions must be alive to do this, although they do not need to be close to him. The Raven can be summoned for up to 10 minutes or until it is killed, at which point it is dismissed and all of Edgar’s minions are resummoned.

---Statistics---
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 10
Feats: Duck and Cover, Deceitful, Fleet, Great Fortitude, Magical Aptitude, Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Toughness, Alertness, Acrobatic, Empower Spell
Skills: Fly +26, Spellcraft +37, Perception +27, Acrobatics +26, Disguise +27, Stealth +22, Bluff +27, Intimidate +20, Diplomacy +23
Languages: English, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese, Arabic

Minions

Raven Flock
Scout Minion 12
Chaotic Neutral
Init +2 Perception +23
---Defense---
AC 22, Touch 10, Flat-Footed 20
HP 71
Fort +9, Ref +12, Will +6
CMB -- CMD --
Half damage from piercing and slashing, swarm traits
---Offense---
Space 10 ft., Reach 0 ft.
Speed 10 ft., Fly 40 ft. (Average)
Swarm 1d6, Distraction (DC 15)

Special Abilities
Eye-Rake
Any living creature damaged by a raven swarm must succeed on a DC 11 Reflex save or be blinded as the swarm scratches and tears at the victim's eyes. The blindness lasts for 1d4 days or until healed with a remove blindness or a successful DC 11 Heal check. The save DC is Constitution-based

---Statistics---
Str 2, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 7
Feats: Skill Focus (Perception), Weapon Finesse, Toughness, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Natural Armour, Alertness, Hover
Skills: Fly +18, Perception +23
Languages: English, Can talk to birds

The Inquisitor
Inquisitor Minion 13
Chaotic Neutral
Init +6 Perception +25
---Defense---
AC 26, Touch 16, Flat-Footed 23
HP 153
Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +11
CMB +7 CMD 20
---Offense--
Speed 30 ft.
+3 Shortbow +15/+10 (1d6 + 1 ; x3)

Special Abilities
Judgement, Second Judgement
Stern Gaze
Cunning Initiative
Track
Solo Tactics
Greater Bane
Stalwart
Cure Moderate Wounds 2/day
Cure Serious Wounds 2/day
Cure Critical Wounds 1/day
Fear 1/day (Does not need to be designated attacker to cast this spell)

---Statistics---
Str 7, Dex 17, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8
Feats: Toughness, Skill Focus (Perception), Duck and Cover, Point-Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Target of Opportunity, Divine Interference
Skills: Bluff +15 Heal +19 Stealth +19 Acrobatics +16 Disguise +15 Sense Motive +19 Survival +25 Perception +25
Languages: English, Spanish, French

Montresor
Fighter Minion 14
Chaotic Neutral
Init +1 Perception +1
---Dfense---
AC 27, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 26
HP 203
Fort +15, Ref +5, Will +5 (+6 vs fear)
CMB +18 CMD 29
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
+3 Greatsword +23/+18/+13 (2d6 + 13; 17-20/x2) *+4 confirming criticals

Special Abilities
Bonus Feats (4)
Bravery
Montresor’s Wrath (May Rage for 10 rounds a day)

---Statistics---
Str 18, Dex 13, Con 22, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Feats: Power Attack, Furious Focus, Pushing Assault, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Greater Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Weapon Specialization (Greatsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (Greatsword), Toughness, Duck and Cover, Combat Reflexes, Improved Critical, Disruptive, Spellbreaker, Teleport Tactician
Skills: Climb +21, Knowledge (Engineering) +17, Bluff +13
Languages: English, Italian

The Raven
Magical Beast 20 (Huge)
Chaotic Neutral
Init +6 Perception +26
See In Darkness
---Defense---
AC 38, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 32
HP 192
Fort +17, Ref +19, Will +11
CMB +32 CMD 48
Spell Resistance 26
---Offense---
Space 15 ft. Reach 15 ft.
Speed 30 ft., fly 80 ft. (good)
2 Talons +26 (1d8 + 10; 19-20/x2) , rend (2 talons, 2d8 + 15)
Beak +26 (2d6 + 10; 19-20/x2), powerful charge (Beak 4d6 + 15; 19-20/x2)
2 Wings +24 (1d8 + 5; 19-20/x2)

Special Abilities

Pounce
When The Raven makes a charge, it can make a full attack.

See In Darkness
The Raven can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a Deeper Darkness spell.

---Statistics---
Str 30, Dex 22, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 14
Feats: Multiattack, Iron Will, Improved Critical (Beak), Improved Critical (Wing), Improved Critical (Talon), Improved Natural Armor, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Hover, Stand Still
Skills: Appraise +22, Fly +29, Intimidate +22, Perception +26
Languages: English

There were several reasons for Walrein's downfall, and it was really fair that he was the first to die. For starters, even though everyone was mostly joking about how they wanted to kill Walrein, he really never did have any allies and was constantly attacked throughout the game.

Secondly, he made the mistake of picking Sage (but he couldn't say we didn't warn him). Sage is simply too complex for a player who isn't familiar with the d20 system. He had so many tools and abilities which he simply never used, like his Inquisitor's Divine Interference feat which could have saved him on several occasions. For a class like Sage whose power is entirely reliant on utilizing all of your wide variety of options, that's fatal. He never had very strong tactics either, best exemplified by how he managed to lost an order to TAS while literally inflicting zero damage on him, even though Edgar had movement options like Fly and Teleport.

He didn't use his Cask ability, either, which was honestly pretty damn powerful. It required some prep and planning, but it was capable of completely neutering Rider, even though Walrein never fought von anyway. Of course, the ability could have been disabled by a smart enemy player once it was revealed, but outside of that it was pretty broken,

I'll give him plus points for picking a nice legendary figure and at least trying to use some of his abilities like Disguise Other, and always using his Pendulum. He also used the Raven to great effect, but honestly it's hard to give anyone plus points for that since even the Hulk can use the Raven. SMASH YOU

theangryscientist - The Archer - Apollo
It has been some time since our defeat at the hands of the Rider's trickery. I am quite displeased with the child for falling for such an obvious ruse, but I suppose she did pay for it with her life. Now that I am no longer a part of the war, I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I think I shall return to Greece; the mortals have been neglectful of their gods for too long.

theangryscientist (Annie)
Master 10
Chaotic Neutral
Init +0 Perception +2
---Defense---
AC 20, Touch 15, Flat-Footed 20
HP 153
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +9
CMB + CMD
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Conjuration School (opp Transmutation and Enchantment)
Spells Prepared
4 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 2+1 (Extra slots must be spent on Conjuration spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense

Create Mana Fount
Masters can create Mana Founts. Creating a Mana Fount takes 5 minutes and can be done twice per day.

Destroy Mana Fount
Masters can destroy Mana Founts. This ability does not destroy the designated object. Instead, it simply prevents the object from functioning as a Mana Fount.

Bond Senses
Masters can, as a standard action, share the senses of their Champion, hearing, seeing, smelling, tasting, and touching everything the Champion does. She can use this ability for 10 rounds a day. These rounds do not need to be consecutive. There is no range to this effect, but the Champion and the Master must be on the same plane. The Master can end this effect as a free action.

Greater Shield Ally
Whenever her Master is within a Champion’s reach, the Master receives a +4 circumstance bonus to her Armor Class and her saving throws. This bonus does not apply if the Champion is grappled, helpless, paralyzed, stunned, or unconscious. In addition, if the Master is within 30 feet of her Champion, she gains a +5 bonus to all saving throws against enemy Champion abilities.

---Statistics---
Str 10, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 10
Feats: Augment Summoning, Superior Summoning, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Heighten Spell, Preferred Spell (Summon Monster III), Empower Spell, Combat Casting, Uncanny Concentration
Skills: Spellcraft +17, Sense Motive +12, Knowledge (Arcana) +17, Knowledge (Local) +17, Heal +12, Craft (Traps) +17, Survival +12
Languages: English, German, Spanish, Greek, French, Italian

Archer (Apollo)
Legendary Archer 20
Lawful Neutral
Init +4 Perception +23
---Defense---
AC 31, Touch 20, Flat-Footed 27
HP 164
Fort +8, Ref +16, Will +6
CMB +18 CMD 32
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
+4 Kithara [Composite Longbow] +24/+18/+13 (1d8 + 9; x3; 110 ft. increment; Plague Arrows) * Before Favored Enemy; +4 on crit confirms
+2 Longsword +20/+15/+10 (1d8 + 6; 19-20/x2) * Before Favored Enemy; +4 on crit confirms

Favored Enemy
Archer gains a +4 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls, as well as on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, and Sense Motive skill checks against other champions. In addition, she gains +10 on Survival checks to track other champions.

Archer's Vision
Archer has 200 feet of Darkvision. As a Standard Action, she gains See Invisible for one minute.

The God of Prophecy, Manticus
Ὄ θεός τῆς προφητείᾱς, Μαντικός

Apollo may make a prophecy and divine the future. For the cost of 50 mana, Apollo may name a time and a number of adjacent areas. He will learn of any significant events that will occur. If no significant events would have occurred, he instead learns what will occur if he visits those areas at that time. The cost of this ability doubles for each additional time it is used in a day, such that the second prophecy costs 100 mana and the third costs 200. In addition, Apollo may make a true prophecy for the cost of 150 mana. This functions much like the normal prophecy power, but Apollo will be notified if there are any changes to the future.

The Plague Arrows of loimios
Ὄι λοιμώδης ἰοί Λοiμοῦ

Apollo’s arrows are tipped with poison. An opponent struck by his arrows takes an extra 2d6 damage in a round. This damage can be halved by a DC 25 Fortitude Save. In addition, Apollo can fire one type of special arrow per round. He must declare the shot before hand to the DM, and if the shot misses, the mana is wasted.

Plague Arrow- For the cost of 250 mana, Apollo may spread a plague of Sunbane in an area. The Sunbane disease causes beams of light to be coughed out by sufferers. To avoid infection, a DC 20 Fortitude save must be made. Pick either Str, Dex, or Con. All sufferers of Sunbane take a -2 penalty to that stat during the day (before 6 PM). They also take a -5 penalty to their stealth checks during the day and a -10 penalty during the night.
Crippling Arrow - For the cost of 150 mana, Apollo may fire an arrow that cripples the opponent that it hits. The target must make a DC 25 Fortitude Save or have her movement speed reduced by 15 ft. The opponent’s movement speed may never be reduced to lower than 10 ft through this ability.
Piercing Arrows - For the cost of 100 mana, Apollo’s arrows ignore Damage Reduction for one round.
Spellbane Arrow - At the cost of 300 Mana, Apollo may fire an arrow that prevents the opponent from casting magic. The target of the arrow suffers from spell failure for her next spell.

String of the Sun God, Kithara
Ἥ φόρμιγξ τοῦ ἡλίου θεοῦ, Κιθάρα

Apollo possesses a bow made from the first lyre. Perform is always considered a class skill, and this allows him to play a number of songs.

Song of Harmony - Apollo may make a Perform (Strings) check in place of his diplomacy check while playing this song.
Song of Light - Apollo must succeed on a DC 25 Perform (Strings) Check and spend 150 mana to successfully use this song. Bright light shines in a 100 foot radius, centered on a square within 300 feet of Apollo. This counts as sunlight for the purposes of Sunbane, and negates concealment bonuses on creatures inside.

(Trademark Ability)
Song of the Sun - Once per day, Apollo may summon a miniature sun within 100 feet of him for the cost of 250 mana. The miniature sun has a radius of 20 feet and automatically negates all invisibility and concealment for creatures within the area. In addition, creatures within the area of effect take 15d6 damage, with a DC 25 Reflex save dealing half damage instead. They must also make a DC 25 Fortitude save or be dazed for one round, and a DC 25 Will save or be dazzled for 10 rounds.

---Statistics---
Str 16, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16
Feats: Manyshot, Rapid Shot, Far Shot, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Pinpoint Targeting, Shot on the Run, Parting Shot, Critical Focus, Weapon Focus (Longbow), Weapon Specialization (Longbow)
Skills: Acrobatics +24, Bluff +23, Climb +16, Diplomacy +13, Heal +23, Perception +23, Perform (String Instruments) +26, Stealth +27
Languages: English, Greek

TAS lost mainly because he was unlucky. He was actually very powerful, which I'll talk about later, but von's belief that Archer was the class most dangerous to Rider directly led to his downfall. von constantly hounded TAS all game, taking his orders and always prioritizing him whenever he had the chance to, and was ultimately responsible for his final defeat via the trick that GS explained in an earlier post. Tough luck, really.

Other than being unlucky enough to be targeted by von constantly, TAS otherwise played quite well in my opinion, and certainly didn't deserve a 7th placing. He was smart enough to specialize in conjuration for his master (and probably had one of the most useful masters), which provided great synergy with Archer by teleporting around to remain out of range, and summoning creatures to act as meatshields. This tactic earned him a historic, flawless victory over Walrein in the park, where he was able to force Walrein to order out while taking literally 0 damage due to Walrein's inability to enter attacking range.

He had arguably the strongest Champion, as well. Apollo was designed to be heavily mana-dependent, having all the tools but never having the mana to utilize all of them. In that sense, TAS actually used his mana fairly well, most notably spending quite a lot of it on his overpowered prophecy ability, which saved him on more than one occasion. However, he could have done better by protecting his founts more and thus having more mana. He never really had mana to use his fun abilities like Sunbane or Spellbane Arrow. He also had a ridiculous Trademark Ability which sadly did not get to shine (aha) because he only used it on von while von was outnumbered 4 to 1.

HD - The Berserker - Dian Wei
It has begun.

Always a different time and place - it happens as it has happened while it will happen, an event that truly exemplifies "right place at the right time." Never a warning, because at some point in time it has already happened is happening will happen. Time travel - so deliciously twirled and twisted, not a line like these idiot mortals think, running about their boring, insignificant lives.

Good, too. My little tournament over, ready to throw away the insignificant warriors back to wherever they should have been. Boudicca defeated with a knife through her back, Spartacus beheaded, Murphy exploded in fire. Only Dian Wei remained, the massive hulk of the man taking beatings that would have crippled other men. And as he won I used him, enjoyed him, until he bored me, too.

But then the war. Flamel, the old relic, sprang it upon us, the eight in this shit city. I had no choice, no time to prepare another warrior. Dian Wei hated me - they all did, but they all loved the rewards - but I would not back down. And so I bound the warrior Dian Wei to me, a marriage of our lives. And how could he say no? He was powerless, my plaything, stuck centuries ahead of his time. He glowers and resents me still, but he is not a fool. He realizes that keeping me alive is what he must do to return to his precious little general.

I am prepared. The war begins tomorrow, and I am ready. The greatest sorceress and her hulking warrior. I will take the prize, the fabled Philospher's Stone. I will bend its power to my will and do whatever the hell I want.

I wonder how long it'll keep me interested.

HD (Artemis Tau)
Master 10
Chaotic Neutral
Init +2 Perception +1
---Defense---
AC 22, Touch 17, Flat-Footed 20
HP 136
Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +8
CMB +5 CMD 17
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Controller School (opp Necromancy and Illusion)
Spells Prepared
4 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 2+1 (Extra slots must be spent on spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense

Create Mana Fount

Destroy Mana Fount

Bond Senses

Greater Shield Ally

---Statistics---
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 13
Feats: Golem Constructor (Iron Golem), Disruptive Spell, Split Slot, Paired Opportunists, Outflank, Persuasive, Shielded Caster
Skills: Knowledge (Nobility) +17, Knowledge (Local) +17, Knowledge (Arcana) +17, Heal +11, Diplomacy +15, Bluff +11, Perception +11, Spellcraft +17
Languages: English, Russian, Greek, Chinese, Nordic, French

Berserker (Dian Wei)
Legendary Berserker 20
Lawful Good
Init +2 Perception +14
---Defense---
AC 31, Touch 15, Flat-Footed 31
HP 308
Fort +19, Ref +8, Will +12
CMB +27 CMD 39
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
+5 Halberds +30/+30/+25/+20/+15 (1d10 + 15; x3; Brace, Trip), Two-Weapon Rend (1d10 + 10) *With Two-Weapon Fighting; +4 to crit confirms
+5 Humans +30/+30/+25/+20/+15 (1d10 + 15; x2), Two-Weapon Rend (1d10 + 10) *With Two-Weapon Fighting; +4 to crit confirms

Mad Enhancement
Berserker is permanently under the effects of Rage. She gains a +6 morale bonus to her Strength and Constitution and a +3 morale bonus to her Will saves, but takes a -2 penalty to her AC. She cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration, and she indiscriminately attacks foes when her Master is unable to command her.

E Lai from Ancient Times
古之惡來

Dian Wei is skilled in protecting his master. Once per round, Dian Wei may take up to 40 damage in place of his master, as long as his master is within 30 feet of him. Damage taken by Dian Wei in this manner is halved. At the cost of 150 mana, Dian Wei may instead take up to 80 damage, and at the cost of 350 mana, Dian Wei may instead take up to 120 damage in place of his master.

“Tell me when the enemies are ten paces away.”
敵人來到我面前十步才叫我

Dian Wei is not denied his dexterity bonus to AC when he is surprised, caught flat-footed, or flanked, although he is still vulnerable to sneak attacks under such conditions. For the cost of 100 mana, Dian Wei increases his AC against ranged attacks by +2 for ten rounds, and for the cost of 250 mana, he increases his AC against ranged attacks by +4 for ten rounds. In addition, for the cost of 350 mana, he may act during the surprise round when surprised, with the lowest initiative count.

Wearing Two Layers of Armor and Dual-Wielding Halberds, Dian Wei
穿上兩重鎧甲, 手執長戟左右攻擊, 典韋
Dian Wei ignores the AC penalty from Mad Enhancement and treats medium-sized two handed weapons as light weapons, but applies 1-1/2 times his strength bonus to them. For the cost of 50 mana, Dian Wei may automatically succeed on a grapple check against NPCs as a free action and use them proficiently as +5 bludgeoning weapons with a damage die of 1d10 and a critical threat of x2.

(Trademark Ability)
Once per day, for the cost of 200 mana, Dian Wei may make a single attack against each enemy within 30 feet of him at his highest base attack bonus. He may make a set of full attacks against each enemy that is hit by the initial attack.

---Statistics---
Str 24, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Raging Vitality, Paired Opportunists, Shielded Caster, Outflank, Double Slice, Power Attack, Stunning Assault, Two-Weapon Rend, Iron Will
Skills: Intimidate +31, Climb +20, Perception +14, Sense Motive +11, Swim +25, Heal +16
Languages: English, Chinese

There's not much good to say about HD, really, and he barely got to actually play the game as well. His downfall started in character creation, where he chose a rather sketchy Master specialization. Controllers have pretty much no advantage in battle, so utilizing such a school well heavily relies on making plans and manipulating the battlefield from the outside. Unfortunately, HD never did anything like that, and therefore had a pretty useless specialization.

Following that, he pretty much refused to optimize his Champion, so I made up for it by giving him stronger powers and also forcing him to at least take a couple of TWF feats. Unfortunately, that still didn't really make up for it and I'd say that Dian Wei was probably the weakest champion in the game.

He was outclassed in terms of tactics too. There are several examples of this, like when he used Wall of Force in an attempt to escape, only to get fucked by an offensive Dimension Door, or the fact that he almost never got to full attack, like when VB held him off with animals, which is invariably the path to defeat for a Berserker. He also never used his mana for his abilities against ranged attacks or for moving during the surprise round (which could have potentially saved his ass when he got scried by AG and gang). He did protect his master with his mana, which was about the only plus point I can give him, apart from using his Trademark to deal massive damage to Quags VB and AG.

Anyway, because he lost in fights so often (I believe he did not win a single fight all game, although he did manage to claim an order during his death throes), he was often forced to escape and spend ages healing and therefore not playing the game due to Dian Wei's massive HP loss. This turtling tactic allowed him to (unfairly) survive to 6th place, until AG, VB, Quags, and von decided to scry and gank him in the end.

Vintage Books - The Caster - Circe

I just realized Vintage Books didn't send in an epilogue, but considering how he's basically vanished, I decided not to wait for him.
Vintage Books (Breannan)
Master 10
Neutral Evil
Init +0 Perception +2
---Defense---
HP 183
Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +11
CMB +3 CMD 13
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Enhancement School (opp Necromancy and Illusion)
Spells Prepared
4 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 2+1 (Extra slots must be spent on Transmutation spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense

Create Mana Fount

Destroy Mana Fount

Bond Senses

Greater Shield Ally

---Statistics---
Str 8, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 12
Feats: Feral Speech, Great Fortitude, Improved Great Fortitude, Improved Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Quicken Spell, Toughness
Skills: Bluff +6, Diplomacy +11, Escape Artist +5, Heal +12, Knowledge (Arcana) +17, Knowledge (Local) +17, Spellcraft +12, Stealth +5, Survival +12
Languages: Welsh, Greek, French, German

Caster (Circe)
Legendary Caster 20
Chaotic Evil
Init +2 Perception +17
---Defense---
AC 26, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 22
HP 176
Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +15
CMB +9 CMD 22
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.

Arcane Sorcery
Caster has access to a list of select Arcane spells.
Infinite;
Beguiling Gift
Shield
Bear’s Endurance
Scorching Ray
Vermin Shape I
Prepared;
3 Lightning Bolts,
2 Hostile Juxtaposition
2 Beast Shape IV,
Firebrand (Rays do 3d6)
Polar Ray (Changed to level 7, drain nerfed to lasting 1 hour)

Purification of the Argonauts, Slayers of Absyrtus
Καθαρισμός τῶν Aργοναύτηɛς, Φονιάδες του Aψυρτον

Circe can purify herself as well as her allies of sin. For the cost of 100 mana, Circe can warp reality such that a past event involving her and up to three allies is treated such that it did not involve them. However, memories of enemy Masters and Champions cannot be altered in this manner, and the results of the event do not change. In addition, for the cost of 50 mana, Circe may heal herself and up to three allies of 10% of the damage and certain negative effects sustained during a fight that occurred in the past hour. For the cost of 150 mana, 20% of the damage sustained is healed instead, and stronger negative effects can be negated.

Mistress of Herbs and Medicines
Ἄνασσα τῶν ἀρωμάτων καί φαρμάκων

Circe is incredibly well-versed in the art of making potions and medicines. She automatically recognizes all potions and gains a +5 bonus to her heal check. In addition, she may create a number of potions using herbs. These herbs may be gathered from the market, magic market, the outskirts of town, the river, and other suitable places. Circe gathers enough herbs to make 4 potions with one hour spent.

Potion of Allying - Once per day, Circe may create a potion that makes an NPC who drinks it her ally. An NPC who drinks this potion is automatically affected by the Dominate Person spell. If an NPC is freed from the spell, she remembers nothing about Circe or the potion, as well as the time in which she has been Dominated.
Potion of Strengthening - For the cost of 150 mana, Circe may create a potion that increases her Strength score by +4 and any natural armor bonuses by +2. (this does not stack with the bonus from Bull’s Strength and Bear’s Endurance) for the day.
Potion of Resistance - For the cost of 100 mana, Circe may create a potion that increases her Spell Resistance by 10 for ten minutes. She may not benefit from this potion more than once per day.
Potion of Weakening - For the cost of 250 mana, Circe may create four doses of a potion that can be used to spike drinks. Circe is aware of a person who has drunk this potion when they were within 200 feet of her and can activate the potion as a swift action, inflicting a -4 penalty to AC and a -2 penalty to all saves for ten minutes, after which the potion ceases to have any effect.

The Enchantress Who Warps Men Into Beasts, Circe
Ἥ κηλήτειρα ἣ μεταμορφοῖ ἄνδρας εἰς κνώδαλα, Κίρκη

Circe can turn NPCs into animals and control them. She may control up to four animals at once.

(Trademark Ability)

For the cost of 100 mana, Circe may polymorph her enemies into animals. This is a ranged touch attack with a range of 10 feet. The targeted creature must then make Fort and Will saves, taking the lower total. The creature is morphed into a harmless critter for one round on a successful save and two rounds on an unsuccessful save. Alternatively, for the cost of 300 mana, Circe may increase the duration of the polymorph by 1 round. A creature may not be subject to this ability again until 24 hours has elapsed.

---Statistics---
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 18
Feats: Preferred Spell (Lightning Bolt), Heightened Spell, Empower Spell, Expanded Arcana, Arcane Shield, Toughness, Weapon Focus (Ray), Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Bullseye Shot
Skills: Bluff +24, Heal +25, Knowledge (Arcana) +20, Knowledge (Local) +12, Perception +17, Spellcraft +25
Languages: English, Greek, Irish Gaelic, French

Vintage Books did okay for a newcomer, but at the same time he could definitely have done much better. I'd say that he deserved his 5th placing. He misunderstood several mechanics, but overall still managed to do okay in character creation, even if he did forget about using his feats once he actually started playing.

There's not that much to say, because half the time he was missing and I had to control his characters for him. In general, Circe could have been much scarier than how he played her, and was probably as strong as Apollo when played right. He almost never used Empower Spell, which skyrockets his offensive potential. Most notably, Empowered Polar Ray basically destroys someone who gets hit by it, backing up my claim of Caster's firepower. She also had a very brutal Trademark that could completely change the tide of a battle.

However, what really made me feel sad was that her creative abilities, like Purification and Potion of Weakening, were never used. Circe was designed to have a cunning element on her kit, but VB never had any real plans and thus those abilities were under-utilized. Purification was an ability that allowed him to do pretty much anything (like kill the mayor) and escape responsibility, and VB actually did have an idea to spike the pub's drinks with the Potion of Weakening, but it never came to fruition.

Despite all of this, VB did make some good decisions, such as always replenishing animals and changing them to his needs, and always having a very good spell selection. Most of the time, whether by chance or by strategy, he usually had a good spell for the situation, and he made the right choice to ally with AG. I don't think he made any major errors, really, he just lost because he didn't play as well as the top 4.

Aura Guardian - The Assassin - Loki
The tale of Tom Jones, otherwise known as Tom Henson and Tom Smith, is one of darkness, of hate, of pain. There is no doubt that Tom could have been good, had the circumstances been different. Instead, his life led to naught but pain and destruction, culminating in his near-death in the Philosopher's Stone War, and ending in more death.

A memory from 1950 said:
(Note: words were originally garbled slightly due to the ages of those speaking. They have been transcribed to reflect the intent beside them)

"FREAK!"

"WEIRDO!"

"This kid's creeping me out!"

A young boy, not more than three years old, listens to this barrage of insults. "Please. Stop." All he knows is that he felt something strange in him, some strange power, and released it. And something changed, though he knew not what.

"No one can do that kind of stuff!"

"It must be magic!"

"Magic? Maybe he can grant wishes!"

"Wishes? GIMME CANDY!"

The shouting grows worse. Then, they start hitting him.

"STOP! STOP!" A ray of sheer cold erupts from the boy's fingers, missing everyone.

Suddenly, the boy's parents arive and snatch him out of danger. This was an average day for Tom Jones. No matter how hard his parents tried, the kids would always mistreat him.
Is a child born to darkness... or is it forced upon them?
December 17 said:
"Mommy, how long until we get home?" asks the boy, now nearly six years of age.

"Just two minutes, Tom" replies Alice Jones. "Don't you think Daddy will like this nice sweater we got him?"

"Yes!" replies Tom happily.

They reach the house. Alice opens the door, and drops the package. "Tom, run."

"What? Where?"

Suddenly, his mother shrieks, and falls to the ground.

"Mommy? Mommy? MOMMY!"

Tom sees in the kitchen his father, later learned to be Jim Jones. He is not moving.

A strange man appears in the doorway. "Hello, Tom. Follow me!"

"What happened to Mommy and Daddy?"

"They'll wake up later. But you should be with me until they do."

He didn't understand the words then, but he does now. The next words the man said were "Soul Bind."
Pain comes to all... but to some, it comes worse than to others... No child should have to see anything like this, though...
January 7 said:
"Tom?" asked the strange man. "I brought you a present..."

Tom came, and asked "Can I leave the house, please?" but fell silent, for before him... was a boy who looked like him. The strange man spoke some words, and Tom felt a strong compulsion. A desire... to kill. He lashed out with his strange ability. And the boy fell.

The man spoke, "I took him yesterday, and just finished preparing him. I'll arrange for him to be found tomorrow. The boy was Jon Hoffman. He looks enough like you that your grandpa, Theodore, will think he's you. And people won't be looking for you any more."

Tom only wept, for he had not wanted to hurt the boy, who might have been a good friend. That was all he could do.
The only true torture of the mind is the one that the victim participates in. Truly, Tom might have been saved, had someone been able. Alas, not only was no one able, but no one even knew of his plight.
March 28 said:
"Tom?" spoke the strange man. "We are moving to London. You will be called Tom Smith there, and I will be your uncle Edward Smith...
And the man's power over Tom grew by the day...
May 1954 said:
"Tom, get the newspaper," spoke Edward Smith.

Tom went to get it. As he reached down, he felt a great power in him... and released it. Suddenly, the mailbox burst into flames. Out of shock, Tom recoiled, and one of his hands grew claws. Tom stared at the mailbox, and at his claws, before the claws faded to nothing, unaware of the two neighbors who saw this spectacle.
Tom was a powerful sorcerer. Even at this young age of but 7, he could call forth spells that only a sorcerer who had already transcended normal humanity could. Perhaps if he knew how to let go... alas, he could not let go of the pain of the future years.
May 1954 to August 1960 said:
The memories flooded Tom. If we went into every detail of every incident of his powers coming to the fore, we would be here for weeks. Summoning a cone of fire, shapechanging, invisibility, and rumors that he is a warlock who killed his family are quietly in the public eye, though he hears these rumors only occasionally.

Eventually, Edward Smith sealed away Tom's sorcerous powers, and forced him to study to gain them back, piece by piece. The studies worked, but Tom eventually started succumbing to nightmares. These prevented his studies of the arcane, so Edward beat him daily... until Edward came up with a spell to counter the nightmares. This spell placed Tom under permanent agony. But it allowed him to study his spells despite the nightmares. Not despite the pain, though. Tom had to learn over a month to ignore the eternal pain.
We can weep for who Tom Jones once was. We cannot find any evidence that Edward Smith was anything but a monster, ever.
October 1960 said:
Tom rememberd the move to Amesbury, to get away from the rumors. Death seemed to follow though, as countless neighbors were found dead over the course of time. All were of mysterious causes. Tom knew who killed them, though. Half the time, Edward Smith would do it himself, but the other half... Tom shuddered.
Eventually, in late May 1962, Nicholas Flamel - though he was only rumored to be him - revealed that Edward Smith was behind the murders, and the two fled to Dunshaughlin, arriving early June 1962. The crime rate rose practically overnight. They used their same first names, but went by Henson, instead.
January 1 said:
"Hello, Tom. Happy 25th birthday!" spoke a soft voice. It was Flamel himself. "Did you get my invitation to the Philosopher's Stone War?"

"No... What is it?"

"Here, take this journal. It contains my information on the basics of the war. I sent your invitation to Edward Smith. I think you, Tom Jones, deserve to choose how to claim it from him. You should read the note before acting on this, though. The stone grants a wish, and healing."

"... Can it bring my parents back, even from a Soul Bind?"

"Easily."

"Would you mind if I read the notes here?"

"Go ahead," replied Flamel.

After reading it for a few hours, Tom spoke. "So, to summon the Assassin, my... mentor," he spoke, not hiding the disgust on the last word, "will have to seal away his epic powers... allowing me to use my epic powers to kill him?"

"Yes, precicesly. The summoning will be tomorrow. I advise striking the day after, as his powers will still be great the first day."

"Very well.
A path so easily chosen. Can anyone blame Tom for wanting revenge? For wanting to bring his parents back, when it is actually possible? Alas, it was not to be... even if he had won."
January 2 said:
"Master, do you still have that gem you had when we first met?" asked Tom.

"No, I pitched it into nonbeing a few years ago. Nothing can ever call it back."

"What of the pain the spell that weakens the nightmares causes...?"

"You should probably know that I had to tie it to your magic itself. You will only ever be able to cast magic when that spell is in effect."

"... Thank you..."

"Now, GO! I have an important planar binding to conduct.

Tom left, and sobbed.
So, what happens when someone loses all hope? With any luck, you will never find out for yourself.
January 3 said:
*Knocking, as if on a door*

Edward: Oh, hello, Tom.

Tom: Hello... Edward.

Edward: I think you mean "Master." I trained you in your magic powers. Remember that.

Tom: I hear you've been selected to be a part of the Philosopher's Stone War... a rare honor, "Master."

Edward: Indeed. I have been granted the Assassin champion... What are you doing with two of my scrolls?

Tom: I wish I could have added them to my spellbook... but this will do. Mind Fog!

Edward: What ... is the ... meaning ... of this?

Tom: You are much more suited to Berserker... Assassin and I will get along together well, though, I think. And as I want the power of the Philosopher's Stone, you have outlived your usefulness to me. That and you're plans to destroy everything of any value to anyone are taking too long. DIE!"

Edward: ... Well done... my appre *URK*

*Dull thud, as of a body hitting the ground*

Tom: I wish I could have saved Phantasmal Killer and Mind Fog for my spellbook... but with the power of the Philosopher's Stone, they would have been redundant... old fool. I suppose your spellbook has been trapped so that I can't copy over your spells from it.

Mysterious Voice: Who are you that kills my master?

Tom: Hello, Loki. I'm Tom Jones, your new master... let us seize the power of the Stone and destroy the world together. I've recently been in the library researching... Ragnarok can be caused with the Stone's power, can it not?

Loki: Indeed... finally, I shall have revenge over Odin and Thor and all the others... destruction shall reign supreme!

Tom: Yes... yes, it shall. Also, is his spellbook trapped?

Loki: Obviously. Every page of it. It includes a few runes for if I get within two feet of it.

Tom: Ah, well.

*Noise as of people leaving*
And that was it... Tom joined the war, and in the first day, he took out his pain on the north bridge... but it did nothing. On the seventh day, he saw the destruction... and it did not please him, as he thought it would. Then, as he was poised to begin a true destruction of his hated enemies, the Knight Jeanne d'Arc and the Rider Guan Yu, the Healer, Hippocrates invoked preventative medicine and ended his champion's existence. Or so they thought, as Loki's memories flooded Tom.
Loki's Memories said:
"... And by this blood spilled from my wound, I take thee as mine sworn brother, Loki the Jotunn!" pronounced Odin.

"And by the blood spilled from mine, I accept thee as mine own brother!" replied Loki.

The days pass... The seasons turn...

Loki walked out of some woods, and spoke to another... Tom knew it was Eldir, but did not understand how he knew. "What is the meaning of this? Why was I not invited to this gathering of the gods? You know I am the sworn brother of Allfather, and thus one of you!"

Eldir replied, "No one there has anything kind to say about you."

"Then I shall enter the feast, and mix their mead with malice."

Upon entering, silence.

"I have come a long way to ask for a drink of the famous mead," spoke Loki calmly.
Silence.

"It seems you are all too arrogant to speak. Either assign me a seat and place, or ask me to leave."
Bragi stood, and spoke, "You shall have no place here. The gods know which persons to invite, and which to not invite."

Loki spoke to Odin, at the table, "Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us."
And Odin Allfather spoke, "Sit up, Violarr, that my brother may sit next to you, that he will not speak ill of the gods."

The feast went on. The arrogance of a great many of the other gods became apparent, especially Thor, Heimdallr, Frigg, Iounn, and Gefjun. The details matter not. The days turned again, and Tom saw in Loki's memories how every time Loki tried to show the other gods the error of their ways, he would be rebuffed. Tom saw Loki watch as the gods neglected their own followers, and cause destruction. Although some meant well, most just didn't care. And then Tom saw the fateful day.

"Who goes there?" shouted the beloved god Baldr. "Show yourself!"

"It is I, Loki!" replied the trickster, transforming from a bird into his normal self. "I have come to you because you are the greatest of all the gods."

"That would be Allfather," responded Baldr.

"No, for he is like the others - arrogant. You alone make the people love you. The others go for fear and rest on their laurels. I have already spoken with Hel about this..."

"Yes...?"

"I propose that we provide the other gods with a reason to amend their ways. If you were to die, then Hel would allow you back into the living if every object and creature, alive and dead, weeps for you. You are the most beloved, and I have already spoken with a great many ... your revival would be guaranteed were you to die."

"... How would that be incentive for the others to change their ways?"

"I will craft a spear of your one weakness - Mistletoe, who was too young to swear an oath when your mother made the world swear not to harm you. I will then give it to someone to throw at you during our weekly entertainment of throwing random stuff at you and watching it bounce off. When the gods come to me to ask me to weep for you, I will lead them on to believe that I will only weep for you if they mend their ways. I will, of course, be disguised for this part."
"... And when they do, you shall provide the final tear to bring me back?"

"Indeed."

"... Very well."
Tom saw in Loki's memory the fateful days. He saw Baldr die. He saw the world weep. And he saw Loki refuse to weep.

"Will you weep for Baldr to bring him back?"

"No..." spoke Loki, in the form of a giantess.

"Damn you! Why not?"

"I will not until the gods mend their ways. When they do, I shall weep. Cease with neglecting your followers."

"Only one god talks that way. Loki! You shall be bound to a rock under the serpent's dripping venom for all eternity. We shall bind you with your son's entrails as the prophecy decreed!"

"Then Baldr shall remain dead."

"So be it."

Tom saw Loki tied to the rock. He saw Sif blocking the poison with a bowl... but it could not last forever. He saw Loki thrash. He felt Loki's pain. He felt the earth tremble beneath it. He felt Loki's grief at how the gods would not treat humans fairly. He felt Loki's shame at failing to change things. He felt Loki wonder why no one came to rescue him. It was for the people! Why would not one of the mortals come save him? The serpent would not harm them, only Loki. Why did no one repay his attempt to health? Why was Prometheus freed from his chains - by the son of the king of the Greek gods, no less? Why was Loki going to remain there forever. Who was Loki? Was he mad or ... what? Wait no. Loki was the person tied to the rock. Loki was the person Tom was seeing though. Yes, that's who it was. Who was that wonderful woman saving him from the poison? Didn't she know it would last forever, and she wouldn't? The pain magnified by the day. There was no end in sight. Tom felt Loki snap beneath the pressure, until there was only the evil god of deception and lies. All Loki wanted... was to destroy everything out of spite. Then, the bindings lessened. And Loki was in a summoning circle, bound to another's will. A fool's will.
"... Well," spoke Tom, looking at the destruction on the horizon. "I still have one order spell left. Time to annihilate the world with it. Yes, this will do nicely. By this order spell..." He began. He did not finish. A giant raven carved out his throat in the next second.

"My work here is done," spoke the champion Edgar Allen Poe. And then, he smiled.

All people feel pain. Some endure better than others. Some endure more than others. Regardless, do not let the pain overcome you. You alone choose who you are. Do not give in to despair, pain, or hate. They never lead to anything.

Aura Guardian (Tom Jones alias Tom Henson)
Master 10
Neutral Evil
Init +1 Perception +0
---Defense---
AC 21, Touch 16, Flat-Footed 20
HP 171 (Enhancement 211)
Fort +5 (Enhancement +7), Ref +4, Will +7
CMB +3 CMD 29
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Shapechange School (opp none)
Spells Prepared
4 6+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 3+1 (Extra slots must be spent on Transmutation spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense

Create Mana Fount

Destroy Mana Fount

Bond Senses

Greater Shield Ally

---Statistics---
Str 7, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
Feats: Toughness, Defensive Combat Training, Combat Casting, Spell Penetration, Piercing Spell, Greater Spell Penetration, Opposition Research (Divination), Opposition Research (Necromancy)
Skills: Fly +9, Ride +6, Stealth +11, Bluff +10, Disguise +10, +Heal 10, Spellcraft +18, Knowledge (Arcana) +18, Knowledge (History) +18
Languages: English, Irish, Old Norse, Latin, Hebrew, Russian

Assassin (Loki)
Legendary Assassin 20
Chaotic Evil
Init +9 Perception +24
---Defense---
AC 31, Touch 25, Flat-Footed 26
HP 193
Fort +9, Ref +17, Will +7 * +2 vs Abjuration
CMB +15 CMD 30
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
+4 Tiny Object +24/+19/+14 (1d6 + 4; x2) *Before Point-Blank Shot
+4 Mistletoe +25/+20/+15 (1d6 + 6; x2; Sadistic, Anarchic 2d6) *Before Point-Blank Shot

Special Abilities

Sneak Attack
When Assassin attacks an opponent who is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, or flanks an opponent, she gets +5d6 precision damage to her attack.

Assassinate
Assassin may spend 3 consecutive rounds observing her target. Observation is a standard action and Assassin may still take move actions during these 3 rounds. If Assassin surprises her target and makes a melee attack in the surprise round within 1 minute after the 3 rounds of observation, her melee attack automatically hits and deals 30d6 sneak attack damage. In addition, she can choose to inflict two of the following conditions on the target upon a successful Assassination:

- Stunned for 1 round.
- Staggered for 3 rounds.
- -4 STR for 5 rounds.
- -4 DEX for 5 rounds
- 50% miss chance on physical attacks for 3 rounds.
- 50% spell failure chance for 3 rounds.

Trap Sense and Trapfinding
Assassin gains a +10 bonus to find and disable traps. In addition, she gains +6 to her AC and Reflex bonus against traps.

The Bound Trickster God, Loki
Den bundne intriguer, Loke

Loki begins the game bound, and cannot leave the base of operations. Every 2 days, he gains access to 10 areas. For the cost of 200 mana, Loki may ignore this restriction for an hour.

Loki may transform into a small or tiny animal, or a horse as a standard action at will. He may not use Assassinate or Mistletoe while in such a form. This transformation is magical, but it cannot be dispelled or negated by normal means. For the cost of 100 mana, he may transform as a swift action. For the cost of 200 mana, he may transform as an immediate action. Transforming back into his original form is a free action. In addition, Loki gains a bonus to his Charisma checks if he insults a suitable target over the course of his check.

The Spear None Guards Against, Mistletoe
Spydet ingen forsvares mot, Misteltein

Loki may throw any suitable tiny objects proficiently as ranged weapons with an enhancement bonus of +4 and a range increment of 30 feet. In addition, Loki possesses a legendary spear made of mistletoe. Mistletoe is a +4 Sadistic Anarchic javelin that is Finessable, takes no penalty in melee, and instantly returns to Loki’s hands after being thrown, allowing him to full attack with it. It ignores all damage reduction.

(Trademark Ability)

For the cost of 100 mana, Loki’s attacks with Mistletoe ignore concealment for 10 rounds. For the cost of 100 mana per round, Loki’s attacks with Mistletoe are considered as touch attacks instead. For the cost of 200 mana, Loki may automatically dispel all abjurations on an enemy he has just successfully hit.

The Hoard and Ring of Red Gold, Andvarinaut
Det Förrådet og ringen av røde gull, Andvarenaut

Loki’s Master can create two fake founts a day. These founts do not provide any mana to Loki’s Masters and do not give mana to Masters who destroy them, although they appear to do so. They are in all other aspects exactly like normal founts.

For the cost of 250 mana, Loki’s Master can create an additional fake fount which is cursed. This curse bestows four negative levels on the Champion of the Master who destroyed the cursed fount. The curse will shift to a different target after every encounter involving the currently cursed Champion. The curse has a duration of 3 days, beginning from the destruction of the fount, and there can only be one cursed fount or curse at any one time. Loki is aware of the target of the curse whenever he is within 200 feet of him.

---Statistics---
Str 10, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 12
Feats: Point-Blank Shot; Precise Shot; Weapon Focus (Mistletoe); Persuasive; Quick Draw; Weapon Finesse; Betrayer; Weapon Specialization (Mistletoe); Toughness; Improved Initiative
Skills: Fly +25, Knowledge (Local) +26, Stealth +28, Disguise +24, Bluff +24, Diplomacy +26, Perception +24, Sense Motive +24, Heal +21, Intimidate +28, Acrobatics +28, Disable Device +28
Languages: English, Norwegian, Finnish, Irish, Old Norse

AG decided to play Assassin again so that he could play in a real, deceptive manner as the class was meant to be played. I'd say that he succeeded in that. There's not much that I need to mention during character creation since AG, a veteran, obviously didn't make any significant mistakes. I just want to say that his master wasn't badly built, since he had a lot of health.

I felt that Loki was one of the weaker champions, but he made up for this by being an Assassin, which was one of the inherently strongest classes. Getting hit by Assassinate basically meant death. To further limit Loki and prevent an Assassinate onslaught in the first few days, I added a negative ability binding him to certain areas which unlocked as time went on. He was able take part in much of the action despite this, however, but nobody got brutalized anyway so that was okay.

As an Assassin, he of course had tricky abilities like the insulting (which was never really used, sadly) and Andvarinaut, which actually led to Walrein's death because of the negative levels. The false mana never came into play because of how abundant mana was. I also made it so that Misteltein was particularly effective against Jeanne and Hippocrates, as I felt that Loki had awful matchups vs them. He also had the Betrayer feat, but it was never used.

AG's main strength and weakness was his propensity to get involved in everything. While this allowed him to do major damage to players like Walrein and HD, it also meant that he stretched himself too far, something that I feel is fatal for an Assassin, and and he was very often vulnerable to attack from GS and Von. This ultimately led to his demise when he was once again heavily injured and asked Quags to heal him, only to be betrayed.

Being a veteran, he also made some fine plays like escaping from Rider, but overall 4th was about right for him.

vonFiedler - The Rider - Guan Yu
This is the story of Guan Yu.

In his youth, the son of a local government official was bullying the area. Guan Yu slew that man, then fled for his life.

During the Yellow Turban Rebellion, Guan Yu swore an oath of brotherhood with Liu Bei and Zhang Fei. They vowed to protect the land from the bandits, and in time Liu Bei would be loved for protecting the common man.

Guan Yu was once captured by Cao Cao, along with Liu Bei's two wives. Guan Yu surrendered to protect his sisters. He was not treated poorly. Cao Cao showered him in praise and gifts, including the legendary horse Red Hare. Guan Yu developed friendly sparring relationships with many in Cao Cao's ranks. In this arena, he acted with fairness, sportsmanship, and integrity.

Guan Yu could never forsake his brothers however. Once he knew where Liu Bei was, he made his move. Leaving all gifts behind but Red Hare, he crossed six gates and slew five generals who would bar his path. They were all caught off guard by the man they held in the highest honor; Guan Yu prevailed over every man using wit, guile, hidden weaponry, and sheer skill.

Once Liu Bei was set up with a kingdom proper, Guan Yu began his campaign. He personally assassinated enemy generals, drowned whole armies, and shrugged off poisonous arrows. No man was more feared. In his mind, there was no honor in subpar tactics that prolonged dangerous battles for his men.

And yet, Guan Yu is remembered most for his greatest act of honor. At Red Wall, Guan Yu returned Cao Cao's hospitality by allowing him to flee with his life.

This probably lost Guan Yu the war.

This probably made Guan Yu a god.

That's all there is to it.

No one in this war could wound Guan Yu in the way that Jeanne d'Arc did. For all his wiles, Guan Yu had spent the war fighting either one on one or against large groups of foes. There was no dishonor in killing an opponent by outsmarting them. Of course he made no effort to kill Hippocrates' master. He wasn't that kind of man.

That probably lost Guan Yu the war.

But he's still the one true God of War.

That's all there is to it.

We both dreamed of a China free from tyranny. But for now, I'll have to vanish once again. I'm good at it.

vonFiedler (Mei Tuo)
Master 10
Chaotic Neutral
Init +1 Perception +10
---Defense---
HP 162
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +7
CMB +3 CMD 14
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Illusion School (opp Necromancy and Abjuration)
Spells Prepared
4 6+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 3+1 (Extra slots must be spent on Illusion spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense

Create Mana Fount

Destroy Mana Fount

Bond Senses

Greater Shield Ally

---Statistics---
Str 7, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 12
Feats: Bouncing Spell, Silent Spell, Spell Focus (Enchantment), Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment), Spell Focus (Illusion), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration
Skills: Bluff +11, Disguise +11, Knowledge (Arcana) +18, Knowledge (Local) +18, Perception +10, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +18, Stealth +10
Languages: English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Irish, Spanish, Celestial, Lip-Reading

Rider (Guan Yu)
Legendary Rider 20
Neutral Good
Init +2 Perception +21
---Defense---
AC 31, Touch 20, Flat-Footed 28
HP 227
Fort +17, Ref +14, Will +7
CMB +24 (+28 trip) CMD 36
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
+5 Green Dragon Crescent Blade +29/+24/+19/+14 (2d4 + 11; 17-20/x2; Reach, Brace, Trip, 1d6 Frost, 1d10 Icy Burst)
+3 Longsword +27/+22/+17/+12 (1d8 + 9; 19-20/x2)
Special Abilities

Rider's Retreat
Once per day, Rider may transport herself, her mount, and one ally within 5 feet as if using Teleport. This differs in that it counts land travel, and thus cannot be anchored but can be potentially followed.

Rider's Chase
Once per day, Rider may chase an opponent with her mount and one ally within 5 feet. Rider will catch the fleeing opponent even through a Teleport, but not through Order Spells.

Crossing Five Passes and Slaying Six Generals, Red Hare
過五關斬六將, 赤兔马
Guan Yu possesses a legendary mount, Red Hare. Red Hare cannot be exhausted and has Fast Healing 5. For the cost of 100 mana, Red Hare can be cured of fatigue. In addition, for the cost of 250 mana, Guan Yu may travel to his Master’s side as though using the spell Teleport. This ability count as land travel and cannot be anchored, although it can be tracked.

The Frost Fair Blade, Green Dragon Crescent Blade
冷艷鋸, 青龙偃月刀
Guan Yu possesses the Green Dragon Crescent Blade, a legendary Guan Dao. A Guan Dao is a weapon which has 2d4 damage dice, 19-20/x2 critical threat, possesses the reach, trip, and brace properties, and deals slashing damage. Green Dragon Crescent Blade is a +5 Keen Icy Burst Guan Dao that increases its frost damage dice by 1d6 for every consecutive round in which it has hit an enemy (to a maximum of 3d6), and decreases its additional frost damage dice by 1d6 for each consecutive round in which it has not hit an enemy.

(Trademark Ability)

Once per day, for the cost of 100 mana, Guan Yu can make a charge attack that inflicts an additional 10 damage and reduces the target’s movement speed by 15 ft for 5 rounds. The target then takes another 10 damage every round for the next 4 rounds. Alternatively, for the cost of 250 mana, Guan Yu can make a similar charge attack for 15 damage instead and reduces the target’s movement speed by 15 ft for 5 rounds. In addition, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC 25 + Str Mod) or become staggered for 5 rounds.

The Saint of War, Emperor Guan
武聖, 關帝

Guan Yu is used to impossible odds and grows stronger for each enemy champion he is outnumbered by. For each additional champion he is outnumbered by, Guan Yu gains +1 to his attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, AC, and 40 temporary HP. For the cost of 300 mana, he may double these bonuses. In addition, for the cost of 100 mana, Guan Yu may force all enemies within 100 feet of him to make a Fortitude save (DC 29) or become shaken. For the cost of 300 mana, he may instead cause enemies to become shaken with a penalty of -4 instead of -2.

---Statistics---
Str 18, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 7
Feats: Power Attack, Furious Focus, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Greater Trip, Felling Smash, Mounted Combat, Spirited Charge, Combat Reflexes, Nimble Moves, Pin Down
Skills: Acrobatics +22, Bluff +21, Perception +21, Ride +20, Sense Motive +9, Sleight of Hand +22, Stealth +22
Languages: English, Chinese, Irish

Red Hare
Legendary Mount 20
Neutral
Init +4 Perception +26
---Defense---
AC 29, Touch 20, Flat-Footed 25
HP 203
Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +3
CMB +20 CMD 34
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 50 ft.
Bite +25 (1d4 + 5; 19-20/x2)
2 Hooves +25 (1d6 + 5; 19-20/x2)

Special Abilities

Immune to exhaustion
Fast Heal 5

Combat Trained
Red Hare is trained for combat and its hooves are considered primary attacks.

---Statistics---
Str 20, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 17, Cha 11
Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (Hoof), Weapon Focus (Bite), Improved Critical (Hoof), Improved Critical (Bite), Endurance, Diehard, Run, Improved Natural Armour (Thrice)
Skills: Perception +26
Languages: Neigh, Whinny

von. There's so much to say about him, that I'll just mention a few things, and he can follow up later if he wants. Knowing about my opinion that Rider is overpowered, von promised to not use Ride-By Attack as a feat, which was fair enough, and I allowed him to pick Spirited Charge without it. He specialized his master in Illusion and definitely had the most effective master of the game. The reason for this was that almost no one ever questioned his illusions, and therefore never got to save. This allowed him to do outrageous things like pretend to be another class and pretend to have more than one standard action a turn, both of which were achieved via illusions. Suffice to say that tactics wise, he made almost no errors, and he had several cunning plans which I'd rather he explained himself.

He also played largely for fun, which I respected a lot. He burned his two orders for epic uses and created a lot of carnage, galvanizing the entire game even though he would surely have won if he had simply kept them for defensive use, since throughout the game no one had proved that they could take an order off him.

Also of note is that he always protected his master, recognizing that she was a weak spot in Guan's invincibility, but no one ever bothered to try to find her anyway. On the flipside, von himself made good use of the vulnerability of enemy masters, and often exploited them to claim orders.

Guan was actually not that powerful a character. He was a powerful fighter, but his abilities weren't that good. Everyone complained about God of War, which was a very strong ability, but the counter to it was obvious - never go near von in a group. I designed this ability so that alliances and ganging up on von would not work, as I suspected that he was on everyone's hit list, and it obviously worked. In addition, his first ability was quite weak, and therefore in a battle situation he had about 1.5 abilities to use compared to everyone else who had 2-3 abilities, plus sub-abilities. So it's very hard for me to agree that he outmatched the other Champions.

In the end, ironically, von died due to a strategic mistake in fighting Quags. The key to victory was to kill the revived Edgar or Hippocrates' master, instead of focus firing Hippocrates, which was about the only way that they could have lost. Otherwise, he would have definitely been the victor since GS planned to forfeit.

General Spoon - The Knight - Jeanne D`Arc
Things could have ended better. This conflict could have produced a way to save the wild places in this world from the others. It didn't. What has been the point of my life? Why have I am waiting around for so long? How much longer will I have to wait for another chance? I know the answer to none of these questions.

General Spoon (Myrrdin)
Master 10
Chaotic Neutral
Init +0 Perception +0
---Defense---
HP 103
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7
CMB +8 CMD 19
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Shapechange School (opp Necromancy)
Spells Prepared
4 5+1 5+1 4+1 3+1 2+1 (Extra slots must be spent on Transmutation spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense

Create Mana Fount

Destroy Mana Fount

Bond Senses

Greater Shield Ally

---Statistics---
Str 18, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10
Feats: Combat Casting, Eschew Materials, Improved Counterspell, Lightning Reflexes, Multimorph, Opposition Research
Skills: Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Fly +10, Heal +10, Knowledge (Arcana) +16, Knowledge (Local) +7, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Spellcraft +16
Languages: English, Scots, French, Latin, Druidic

Knight (Jeanne d`Arc)
Legendary Knight 20
Lawful Good
Init +2 Perception +21
---Defense---
AC 34, Touch 18, Flat-Footed 32
HP 221
Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +13
CMB +25 CMD 37
Spell Resistance 21
Damage Reduction 5
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
+5 Sword of Fierbois +30/+25/+20/+15 (1d8 + 10; 17-20/x2; 1d6 Merciful, 2d6 Holy)

Knight’s Cover
Knight gains Damage Reduction 5. Knight’s Master may not be damaged while within 60 feet of her.

The Pure Virgin, The Maiden of Orléans
La Vierge Pure, La Pucelle d'Orléans

Jeanne can negate any enemy effect targeting herself as an immediate action, even it is an instantaneous effect, and absorb some of the mana used in the attack, if any. For the cost of 100 mana, she may negate 30 damage or a minor effect, and regain 10% of the mana used. For the cost of 250 mana, she may negate 60 damage or a medium effect, and regain 15% of the mana used. For the cost of 400 mana, she may negate 90 damage or a major effect, and regain 25% of the mana used.

‘If I am not, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.
‘’Si je ne suis pas, que Dieu m'a mis là, et si je suis, que Dieu ainsi gardez-moi.’

Jeanne gains a bonus of +1 AC and +1 to her saves, as well as 10 temporary HP when she is fighting an opponent with less HP than her. For the cost of 100 mana, the bonuses may be increased to +2 AC and 40 temporary HP. For the cost of 250 mana, the bonuses may be increased to +3 AC and +2 to Saves, as well as 50 temporary HP.

Jeanne instead gains a bonus of +1 to her attack and damage rolls when she is fighting an opponent with more HP than her. For the cost of 100 mana, the bonuses may be increased to +2, and for the cost of 250 mana, the bonuses may be increased to +3.

If Jeanne is fighting than one opponent and fulfills both conditions, she gains both bonuses, but mana must be spent separately to increase both bonuses. In addition, only enemy Champions qualify for the double fulfillment. However, if Jeanne loses a bonus and gains another due to changing HP, any mana spent can be transferred to the new bonus.

The Divinely Guided Banner, The Sword of Fierbois
Le Bannière Divinement Guidé, L'Épée de Fierbois
Jeanne possesses a legendary longsword granted to her in a vision. The Sword of Fierbois is a +5 Merciful Holy Longsword. Jeanne cannot be disarmed while wielding the weapon, and she always knows the location of the weapon.

Nonlethal damage dealt by the Sword heals at the same rate as lethal damage, and an opponent knocked unconscious by the Sword with no order spells left is disqualified from the War. In addition, for the cost of 50 mana, the Sword functions as a banner for ten rounds. All allies who can see it gain a +1 bonus to their AC, and a +1 bonus on attack rolls made as part of a charge.

(Trademark Ability)
For the cost of 100 mana, Jeanne may reveal herself as Jeanne d`Arc and unveil her weapon as The Sword of Fierbois. All allies who can see the sword become fearless and can make an additional saving throw for each negative effect they are under, if applicable. In addition, all allies who can see the sword gain 40 extra HP and gain an additional +2 bonus to their AC and saves. A character may never benefit from the additional health more than once in an hour. Maintaining the Sword’s effect costs 50 mana for every round beyond the first.

---Statistics---
Str 20, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10
Feats: Endurance, Diehard, Heroic Defiance, Shield Focus, Missile Shield, Enforcer, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Lightning Reflexes, Toughness
Skills: Intimidate +16 Climb +15 Perception +21 Survival +11 Sense Motive +18
Languages: English, French

GS had, imo, the powerful duo in the game, statistically. He had a very hard to kill Champion and a basically impossible to kill Master, and both were capable of mounting decent offence despite their overwhelming defences. He also played quite well, making great plays like protecting his founts via burying and chasing down AG with a pinning Dimension Door. So 2nd place was very much a position that he deserved. But just where did he go wrong to allow the elusive position of champion to slip from his grasp?

Mainly, it was luck. Stats don't mean much if the dice don't like you, and General Spoon had, hands down, the worst luck in the game when it came to dice. He almost never got a critical, missed often and got hit often despite his high to-hit bonuses and AC, and often failed saves despite his Knight bonuses. He also had the misfortune to be the first person to be targeted by AG's Assassinate.

Also worth mentioning is that, much like von, he voluntarily handicapped himself, burning an order to call fire on the city, and even agreed to de-optimize his build when I asked him to, because statistically Jeanne blew every other Champion out of the water in combat, and had good enough saves to survive the casters and then bring them into melee where they had no hope. The reasons why no one noticed this was: 1) Bad luck, 2) He spent much of his time fighting AG and superpowered, outnumbered von, who were able to ignore those advantages, and 3) He spent much of his time not taking part in the action otherwise.

GS also showed a creative spark by constantly coming up with plans, which I salute him for. However, just a word of encouragement to keep them less convoluted, because they cause major headaches for the DM. Also, some of his plans ended up backfiring on him, like when he laid in wait with trapped boats, only for no one to go near them because of how suspicious they were. In general, circumstances were against him the entire game, and he could very well have won if it weren't for that.

Quagsires - The Savior - Hippocrates
Finally. The war ends not with the bang of a fireball, but with the whimper of the knight who we all swore to kill. This destructive and byzantine war only comparable to Zeus' uprising has ended. A pity the god of healing himself has left this mortal realm and could not try to aid those who will remember what they have seen and it's Tartarian horrors.

Nemo is at least kind enough to share this vision of peace and use the stone to help renew the world to what is was before Jeanne's destruction, though that's certainly not his only goal. I'd ask him to tell you himself, but he's never been the talkative type. It was hard enough to convince him to tell me why I was summoned to this place and time, let alone agree to help him with his quest. Perhaps I will never understand him, perhaps I don't need to. All I do know is that he's always been this way, quiet as a mouse, yet always serving and helping with his arts.
My time is done for now, though my will intact. I'm not sure where I'll end up returning to, though always in the name of the great Zeus to do no harm, and in the name of Apollo for the strength to heal. Though I'm not sure how long I have, at least I can say that I have followed my message to the people of this world that is now repeated in today's society. I do regret however my lack of attention to notice the god of healing himself in human form, and not submitting to his bidding and working with him to complete my master's task.
I do wish I followed that oath in this fight, but I feel as though there was little else to do. I used my powers to save that c___ (rest unintelligable) whore and bitch unique enchantress Circe and the barbarian trickster twice each, the former from Dian Wei, the latter once each from Jeanne and Guan. Though it does bring my "trick" into a different light when I claim I wished to be a living fulfillment of my oath, I can proudly say I tricked the god of trickery, and what my healing does not heal, the lance will. It can be said as well that he felt no pain in death, having no nerves to feel pain with. I have cured sometimes, I have treated often, so now I must give them a comfortable death.
I do have the utmost respect for the rider that dealt the damage to him. His generals were men of honor and valor, especially interesting since they themselves were barbarians. I was a coward not to face them directly before the encounter at the Lia Fall, and I sincerely regret my actions there, possibly my only regret about my behavior during this war. Yet Zeus guided me to a victory nevertheless. Perhaps one day I can properly sacrifice to him what he deserves for this victory…
But I digress. I will ask my master to take me to Poe to apologize for my actions and attempt to make some sort of peace for my wrongdoings. Afterwards, I think I will simply wander to wherever needs healing.

Quagsires (Nemo)
Master 10
Neutral Good
Init +1 Perception +1
---Defense---
AC 21, Touch 16, Flat-Footed 20
HP 174
Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10
CMB +3 CMD 14
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
Evocation School (opp Divination and Transmutation)
Spells Prepared
4 5+1 5+1 4+1 4+1 2+1 (Extra slots must be spent on Evocation spells)

Special Abilities

Mana Sense

Create Mana Fount

Destroy Mana Fount

Bond Senses

Greater Shield Ally

---Statistics---
Str 7, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 11
Feats: Combat Casting, Great Fortitude, Improved Great Fortitude, Improved Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Spell Penetration, Uncanny Concentration
Skills: Acrobatics +11, Diplomacy +10, Disable Device +11, Knowledge (Arcana) +17, Knowledge (Engineering) +17, Spellcraft +17, Survival +11
Languages: English, Greek, Latin, Scots, Irish, Italian

Savior (Hippocrates)
Legendary Savior 20
Neutral Good
Init +2 Perception +25
---Defense---
AC 33, Touch 17, Flat-Footed 31
HP 211
Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +17
CMB +14 CMD 26
Spell Resistance 21
---Offense---
Speed 30 ft.
+2 Heavy Mace +16/+11/+6 (1d8 + 1; x2)

Special Abilities

Divine Art
Savior gains access to a select list of Divine spells.
Infinite;
Prayer
Sacred Bond
Cure Moderate Wounds
Prepared;
3 Cure Critical Wounds
2 Debilitating Portent (Damage reduced changed to 1/3rd, DC reduced by 5)
2 Spiritual Ally (Hits vs touch instead)
Harm (Damage halved)
Orb of the Void (Does not give permanent negative levels)
Heal

The Four Humours, Hippocratic Corpus
Ὄ τέτταρες χυμοί, ἀγυρισμός Ἱπποκράτους

Hippocrates can manipulate the four humours to bring himself different benefits.
Blood - For the cost of 200 mana, Hippocrates may heal 50% of his damage as a standard action.
Yellow Bile - For the cost of 50 mana, Hippocrates gains Fast Healing 5 for twenty rounds.
Black Bile - For the cost of 100 mana, Hippocrates may negate a critical hit.
Phlegm - For the cost of 100 mana, Hippocrates gains Damage Reduction 5/- for twenty rounds.

In addition, Hippocrates may inflict a disease that lasts for 3 days on the opponent as a ranged touch attack with a range of 60 feet. Hippocrates may choose the incubation period, although it is always at least one day. For the cost of 50 mana, the poison inflicts a -2 penalty to a stat of Hippocrates’ choice, to a maximum of 3 stats.

(Trademark Ability)
Hippocrates may spend 100 mana to forcefully activate the disease for 24 hours. The disease then activates again at the end of the incubation period. Hippocrates may spend 50 mana per stat to increase the penalty to -4, and 150 mana per stat to increase the penalty to -6.

Purging the Plague of Athens, Flames of Restoration
καθαρίζων το λοιμόν Ἀθηνῶν, Φλόγες διορθώσεως

Hippocrates may set up four Fires of Restoration per day. Only one Fire may be placed in one area. These Fires are destroyed in the same manner as mana founts, and can be found via searching an area. When Hippocrates is in an area with a Fire, he gains Fast Healing 5 (this stacks with the Yellow Bile ability) and may spend 150 mana per round to make a new saving throw for a negative effect he is under, if applicable. He may also spend 100 mana to increase the Fast Healing to 10 for twenty rounds.

Hippocratic Oath
Άντωμοσία Ἱπποκράτους

The Hippocratic Oath prevents any harmful acts. For the cost of 150 mana, all enemies within 100 feet of Hippocrates must make a DC 25 Will save or be prevented from taking any offensive actions for one round. This is a standard action. However, no offensive actions can be taken towards enemies who fail their save, either. Alternatively, the duration of the ability can be increased to two rounds for 250 mana.

In addition, for the cost of 100 mana, Hippocrates may designate an area in the city as peaceful zones, up to a maximum of four. Creatures who in the area must make a DC 30 Will save instead of a DC 25 Will save or be prevented from taking any offensive actions for one round. For the additional cost of 100 mana, the duration of the ability can be further extended to three rounds.

---Statistics---
Str 8, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 10
Feats: Fast Healer, Diehard, Endurance, Lightning Reflexes, Heroic Defiance, Improved Lightning Reflexes, Spell Focus (Necromancy), Toughness, Missile Shield, Shield Focus
Skills: Heal +28, Spellcraft +25, Knowledge (Local) +12, Perception +25, Diplomacy +13, Sense Motive +18, Acrobatics +12
Languages: English, Greek, Latin, Scots

And finally, Quagsires. The least glamorous winner of any PSW, imo. Quags didn't actually do that much right, and wasn't that deserving a winner, if I was to be truthful. So why did he win? In many ways, he was the exact opposite of GS. While GS had no luck, and was always in bad situations, Quags had great luck, and more importantly, was always in the right place at the right time.

Basically, he was never targeted by anyone. Well, I couldn't fault him for that, because that was itself a good tactic, and he made good allies that helped him to victory, but that's how it was. He was very rarely in danger, and couldn't even be accused of turtling, as he was always part of the action. It was just that other players (AG and TAS particularly come to mind) kept getting killed instead of him, and he thus was able to fight without fear of losing orders.

He also made a great decision in making an Evoker master, reasoning that he needed more damage. That was exactly right and his master provided much needed offence, while also being very simple and straightforward to use, allowing him to have a very effective master, which was something that I felt the other players neglected to realize. By the same token, Hippocrates was so hard to kill (von in particular hated this), that Nemo was the main target that everyone should have been going after. I forget who took Quags' order, but I do remember that it was taken via targeting his master. His other order was spent on reviving Edgar temporarily to act as an ally in the final fight.

Of course, Quags still won, and it's not like I think that it was bad that he did. He made sure that a new class won, and most importantly, never did any stupid stuff, which I have to say I am a fan of as DM, considering how much stupid stuff everyone else did. So in a sense, it's not wrong that he won, but he definitely had some extra help on his way to the championship.

Closing Words

Well, I've already said this, but thanks once again to all the players for sticking with me over this 10-month game, and I hope you've enjoyed it. That's all that matters to me. Special shoutouts to jumpluff for helping out when she could, as well as Agape, ginganinja, Lightwolf, TAS, AG for helping in one way or another, such as participating in the playtest, providing translations for Champion abilities, providing assistance during encounters etc.

Finally, I encourage everyone to chip in with their own thoughts of the game, and to detail their own exploits, because what I've written down here isn't everything that happened during the game. It was but the tip of the iceberg.

HD - The Berserker - Dian Wei

<Snip>

He was outclassed in terms of tactics too. There are several examples of this, like when he used Wall of Force in an attempt to escape, only to get fucked by an offensive Dimension Door, or the fact that he almost never got to full attack, like when VB held him off with animals, which is invariably the path to defeat for a Berserker. He also never used his mana for his abilities against ranged attacks or for moving during the surprise round (which could have potentially saved his ass when he got scried by AG and gang). He did protect his master with his mana, which was about the only plus point I can give him, apart from using his Trademark to deal massive damage to Quags VB and AG.

Anyway, because he lost in fights so often (I believe he did not win a single fight all game, although he did manage to claim an order during his death throes), he was often forced to escape and spend ages healing and therefore not playing the game due to Dian Wei's massive HP loss. This turtling tactic allowed him to (unfairly) survive to 6th place, until AG, VB, Quags, and von decided to scry and gank him in the end.
HD never hit me with his trademark - or used it in my sight, and I was sadly not present for his defeat by VB, quags, von, and one other - GS, I think. Also, although VB was present for the Scry part of it, he wasn't a part of the first gank by that means (only one I was a part of). Aside from that, can't think of much more to say about the epilogue.

EDIT WAIT NVM: I also would like to mention the fire in the market - I did that to get some zombies and skeletons to act as mooks in the park battle. A few of them stood guard over a false fount that was basically a trap. Meanwhile, some others walked around, with Loki flying overhead to see if there was an enemy. In this it worked, but it backfired as my invis-and-assassinate failed to See Invisibility, which was, in retrospect, rather obvious. I was able to flee, though, on Loki's horseback, and returned to assassinate (hiding as a bird) him after see invis had worn off. In this, I was able to claim an order spell as Anarchic Sadistic dueled against Holy Merciful, before fleeing at low HP that quags healed later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)