D/P/P Sucks (Pokemon OU using just Kanto Pokemon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this is pretty much my first time posting here except in tournaments, but I'm well-known on the chat. This team wins 75-90% of the time and is NOT A GIMMICK. Anyways, I will not be accepting anything past the first 151 Pokemon, G/S/C is alright, but I hate R/S/E and despise D/P/P. Thanks.

Lord Liam's Team at a Glance

The Unsung Anti-Lead

Butterfree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: CompoundEyes
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk/252Spe/4Sp.Def
Nature: Timid
Tail Wind
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore
Hidden Power[Fire]

You must be thinking "Who in their right mind would play Butterfree?!?!?"
Alot of people doubt this thing's potential, mainly because it was dumped into the NU section by Smogon. Let me explain how this is good. I have some really powerful sweepers on this team, after she puts Sleep Powder on the leader (Faster then any non-scarfed lead) and switchs into a strong Pokemon, usually Machamp to finish off the Pokemon, rendering their attempt to set up SR or a Weather Move useless. It can also come later in the game and paralyze incredible nuisances such as Vaporeon.
I've got Tailwind in my Arsenal for when Butterfree just can't take it anymore, she sets up Tailwind, takes one for the team, and watchs my other seemingly slow sweepers become fast. This move is a new addition to Butterfree's lineup, but it really helps. HP Fire is to deal with the pesky Scizor or Fortress that switchs in on Butterfry hoping to get a free setup. Sleep Powder works the same way on the lead Pokemon as it does on every other Pokemon, sleep and kill. Do not doubt the Butterfree.

Weaknesses: ScarfJirachi, Lead Weaviles (Fake Out, Ice Shard)

The Special Sweeper

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 6 Hp/252Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Hidden Power[Ice]
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Baton Pass

When I decided my team lacked a Thunder Pokemon, I looked all up and down Smogon for a good one, until I found SpecsJolt. He's definately found his way on my team, slashing over 70% damage to a Salamence, if they switched in, you could easily 2HKO it without taking a single blow. Thunderbolt is also for obvious STAB and to hit Waters + Flyings. Shadow Ball does a large deal to Celebi, and even OHKOes threats like Alakazam. HP Ice deals with Dragons, it seems to be my best option against them. Dry passing hasn't done too well here before, but Jolteon has a limited Movepool, his only other decent move is Signal Beam, which is mainly covered on this set already

Weaknesses: Dugtrio, Blissey, Snorlax.

Patrick Star

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk/252Spe/6Hp
Nature: Modest
Ice Beam
Trick
Surf
Thunderbolt

This thing acts as my revenge killer recommended by ThePowerWithin, known as PaidAssassinX to threats that plague my team, such as +1 DD Gyarados and +1 DD Salamence. It will always outspeed Salamence, no matter the nature nor Speed EV or IVs, Starmie will always beat Salamences after a Dragon Dance by one point of speed. This proves vital to my strategy, as Salamence is a powerful attacker. Gyarados also falls to Starmie after a DD, as Gyara's base speed is lower then Salamence's. Surf acts as basic STAB, just for hitting mostthings I want to kill for typical neutral damage. Trick let's me screw over walls or pokemon spamming a stat-up move. I love to see Blissey struggle to stay alive with a Choice Scarf crippling her moveset.

The Physical Sweeper

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252Atk/4Spe
Nature: Adamant
DynamicPunch
Stone Edge
Payback
Substitute

Machamp is the staple of this team, and usually assists Butterfree in the lead kill. His colossal moveset and attack stat allow him to defeat pretty much anything. Dynamic Punch is basic, 2HKO on Zong, Luke is one shotted, 2 shots on Flygon, lots of uses for it. Stone Edge is a 2HKO on any Gyarados, and crits are always welcome. It also 2HKOes Mence and Dragonite, and possibly OHKOing other flyers. Payback is a savage move, it 2HKOs any Rotom Forme and Latias, and it OHKOes Gengar and Alakazam. Susbtitute is godly, blocks unwanted status, and builds up a wall for your bulky attacker on switchs. It's funny to see Bronzong come in and try and Hypnosis, or Dusknoir come in and try and Will-O-Wisp.

Weaknesses: Alakazam, Mismagius, Gliscor.

The Revenge Killer

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Nature: Jolly (Duggy is best Jolly)
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Night Slash
Aerial Ace

Who knows what's under these moles? Probably steroids, because these things are tough! They are easily switched in, especially when Vaporeon takes a Thunder move and Duggy switchs in. I use Choice Band because he's always in and out anyways, and the 50% in attack and no recoil makes it so much better then LO. Earthquake is basic STAB, usually does the most damage, flyings can come in after the Revenge Kill though, need to be wary of that. Stone Edge rapes flyings, I namely use it for the OHKO on Mence. Night Slash is used to OHKO Gengar and 2HKO any Rotom Formes. Latias, as well as Mismagius fall in just a few hits, too!
Aerial Ace is mostly filler, but lets me beat Jumpluff in stall wars, (Hate you Jumpluff) beat Machamp, Breloom and even outspeed and defeat the shifty Choice Scarf Heracross. One last closing statement, Arena Trap hates Levitation :O

Weaknesses: Scizor, and fast buggers or Choice Scarf wearers.

The Mixed Sweeper

Arcanine @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spe/252Sp.Atk/6 Atk
Ability: Intimidate
Extremespeed
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power[Grass]
Overheat

Arcanine is a fairly new addition to my team, and has worked fairly well thus far. I worked out the Moveset on Smogon with some pals, and it has great coverage. ExtremeSpeed lets me take annoying Pokemon out that have very little Health left, but it's uses aren't limited to just that. Dragon Pulse let's me easily 2HKO Latias, while taking nothing from her Dragon Pulses. Overheat is my move to tackle Scizor and other Steel types, and lets me put a dent in anything not named Blissey or Snorlax. Hidden Power Grass is mainly for Swampert after Butterfree sleeps it, but also has it's uses killing Rhyperior.

Lord Liam's Enemies at a Glance

(The Nubby D/P/P Sprites are Invading)
Why are these Pokemon so annoying to me?

Walrein

In hail, I have no counters, this thing is incredibly hard to counter unless Machamp can do it alone. I hate Stallreins.

Jirachi
This thing isn't that hard to kill, but it is very annoying. Alot of people agree with me that Jirachi should take a vacation in the paradise that is Ubers, just like Garchomp. It will always get rid of something, as I fear switching into anything barring Blastoise to stop it.

Breloom
When it's Substitute isn't up, Dugtrio easily traps and OHKOes with Aerial Ace, but when a Sub is out it's really hard to beat Breloom. Butterfree gets used quite a bit to beat Breloom after Sleep Clause has been activated, same with Machamp.

That's everything for now, stay tuned for more.

Honestly, I think you're being very closed minded about your team. Many of your Pokemon are outclassed by Gen 3 and 4 Pokemon. Also, I see a gaping Scizor weakness. Nothing but Vaporeon can switch in safely on Bullet Punch. Also Vaporeon is the only one on your team that can safely switch into an Ice Beam. But if you're really committed to Gen 1, may I suggest Zapdos for your Scizor blues.

1. Butterfree is a poor choice as a sleeper lead. There are so many others that can sleep things with/without a scarf while still being able to do something afterwards, as well as not being ripped by SR every switch in (Roserade and Breloom are exceptional choices).

2. You have no Steel type to absorb Dragon attacks. Yes, Alakazam can revenge kill Dragons, but you're losing one Pokemon (minimum) per game to Outrage. Furthermore, Alakazam isn't a strong choice in today's metagame, in which the ubiquitous Scizor has Pursuit strapped on left and right. Perhaps replace Vaporeon with Porygon2, who counters Gyarados as well as Vappy, but can also counter your Dragon-problem, while also spreading around some Paralysis to aid Machamp (and everybody else, for that matter.)

DannyPrimus, I've already mentoined I have a Scizor weakness, Vappy and Dragonite seem to be the only ones who can stop Scizor, I may try Dos with Heat Wave.

Avocado15, it is true that Roserade is unaffected by Stealth Rocks (which rarely ever get up against me) and has overall better stats, but the accuracy on Sleep Powder for Roserade is 75%, not very reliable is it?
Butterfree has a 97.5% chance to sleep the opponent, extrordinarily reliable. It also can't 2HKO Celebi with Bug Buzz, since it doesn't have Bug Buzz. It's usually walled by Bulky Grasses or Steels too, Butterfree can just sleep and run. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm also not going to run Porygon-2 Since it's Johto, not Kanto. For a steel Absorber, Magneton could work. I believe the idea of spreading Paralysis is significant to the team for some of my slower sweepers. Also, Magneton has 70 Speed, it's faster then Magnezone, and is faster then Scizor. Who would you suggest losing for Magneton? I would say the weakest link in the team is Zam, but he does Trick some unwanted items that help out alot.

EDIT: Alakazam was removed for Magneton.

you should try using persian as a sleeper lead, it's exceptionally fast and stays within your Gen 1 guidelines. The only downside is the 60 base accuracy hypnosis is worse than sleep powder's 75 base accuracy. However, Persian can break opposing leads' focus sashes with one of the fastest fake outs in the game.

You have a solid team, but there are many problems.
Sleep clause stops butterfree from causing much damadge, so changing it to Breloom is the wissest choice. Dragonite is much too slow to even revenge kill (trust me. Been there, done that), so getting Flygon, or Salmance will make it more efitiant. Other than that, you should think about another wall like Bronzong, and should worry about the may Scizors looming around here. It's origanal, but outmoded.
Have a nice day, from jjman studios. n_n

erm, about using magneton, 10 base speed is really not something why you would use magneton over zone. Magnezone has significantly higher all around stats so its more worth it using magnezone.

I disagree with the opinions of some of the other members. Particularly the one about you being close minded. I think you are quite the opposite of that. I mean you are using NU and NFE pokemon in OU where you usually see the same pokemon over and over and over again. i have to give you props for that. Besides i am pretty sure you are already aware that some of these pokemon are "outclassed" by other pokemon, but your team is themed and these guys dont seem to get it. A big suggestion i have for you though is to replace expert belt on Magneton with Life Orb, your moves dont hae the greatest coverage and magneton can use the extra power on all his attacks to nab those KOs. If youre playing under item clause you give dragonite the expert belt seeing as he has greater type coverage. Try replacing choice scarf on butterfree with a focus sash.That way,you wont have to switch out after putting something to sleep and can proceed to paralyze something else that comes in.If something does set up Stealth Rock instead of attackin you can put them to sleep and keep sash intact, if they attack you instead you lose sash but they didnt get to set up stealth rock.

danm, right. every other pokemon that isn't 1st gen sucks, nothing can compare to 1st gen. i play on the ou ladder with my team of golduck, golem, beedrill, ninetails, ratticate and hitmonchan and win my fair share of matches. the only kanto pokemon i don't like are the ones in every person's team like gengar, gyarydoes, etc. because there too overused

Thank you for your kind words Diiras87, I'll try out the Life Orb on Magneton.

Mike Tyson, it's good to see another player using the good ol' 151 original Pokemon, especially since your a Pro Boxer :P

Also, I've switched the Dragonite set to Choice Band, works better.
Magnezone has a new set to better spread Paralysis, definately works better than the previous set.

I'm likely wasting my breath, but unless you're facing other teams of the same "theme" (which you are not, seeing your threat list), they are bad ideas overall. You can't cover everything with your personal restrictions, so placing these barriers isn't doing you any justice. For example, every Dragon Dance Salamence you encounter will single handedly sweep your entire team. If you're still set on the limitations presented, ignore this post.

TC said:
First of all, this thing is faster, and has the ability to outrun a number of Steel threats including Scizor, that Zone cannot outrun.
Having used Magneton once upon a time, you're making a mistake.

Code:
| Scizor     | Nature       | Adamant          |    93.2 |
Adamant max speed Scizor: 229
Timid max speed Magnezone: 240
Your Magneton: 226

Crikey, the very reason you claim to use Magneton isn't even accomplishing what you need it to!!

Anyways, Magnezone is not going to be outrun by Scizor, especially when considering that:

Code:
| Scizor     | Speed EV     | None             |    42.7 |
| Scizor     | Speed EV     | Max              |    16.4 |
A large majority run no speed, and those that do aren't running a positive speed nature anyways, meaning Magnezone will never lose out. Magneton is not needed to outrun Scizor in the slightest. If you're considering Jolly Scizor (the severe minority), it even outspeeds your Magneton, so your intents are strayed. Let's do a stat comparison:

Magneton: 58Hp/252Sp.Atk/200Spe Modest. Outrun by max Adamant Scizor...yeah.

Stats: 255/140/226/372/176/226

Magnezone: 40 HP/216 Spd/252 SAtk Timid. Speed to beat Adamant Scizor, max Special Attack, rest in HP

Stats: 291/158/266/359/216/231

Yes, I've considered, recognized, and established that Magneton is slightly stronger. Do not use this as an excuse. Magnezone's much higher bulk is really beneficial, more beneficial than a few attack points.

I realize that Magneton is a awesome, but he's really got nothing at all over Magnezone. For competitiveness' sake, he needs to be replaced. I've given you every reason that he is outclassed (even pointed out that your spread does not accomplish what you want it to), Magneton's extra speed isn't enough to really warrant his usage as the steels he can trap are beat by Magnezone as well. Not changing him now is ignorance from a purely competitive perspective.

He's not making a theme, he's making a team dliras87, and we, the people are allowed to say what we want about the team in the matter of how GOOD it is. Not how ORIGINAL the team can be!

He's not making a theme, he's making a team dliras87, and we, the people are allowed to say what we want about the team in the matter of how GOOD it is. Not how ORIGINAL the team can be!
Technically, it is a themed team, although not with the best choice of theme since there are only two steel-types in 1st gen: Magnemite and Magneton. You'd be much better off if you could at least broaden your horizons into 2nd gen. This would open up some better options for the steel-type slot such as Skarmory and Scizor.

Gyarados and Weezing are both great counters to scizor, if you need one.
And honestly, you can't expect to use butterfree in the long into the match. Stealth rock is so common that chances are it can't switch into anything without dying from a mere 50% remaining health, not counting its abysmal defences.

An aromatherapy blissey would also render its moves useless, and the fact that it can't switch back in again would make it a wasted member.

Weezing would actually be a good idea, it doesn't mind being slower then Scizor (X-Scissor, Brick Break, U-Turn can't hurt it, Bullet Punch loses to 120 Defense. I thought I had did the calculations right on Magneton for higher speed, oh well, I'll change that after I try Weezing in his place.

I'd be more concerned by the fact that Adamant Lucario OHKOs everyone on your team after a Swords Dance with the possible exception of Dragonite (only a 33% chance with SR down of not being OHKO'd by ES) and that's assuming it doesn't have Ice Punch.

This isn't helped by the fact that Dugtrio locked into every other than EQ is a free SD for Luke as well as Butterfree locked into Sleep Powder or Bug Buzz.

The most immediate solution without changing your team would be to scarf Magneton.

I've checked Persian out, he has a nice moveset, but the Hypnosis is just too inaccurate. Weezing didn't workout how I planned, but I'm playtesting a new threat; Bellyzard. It can safely setup on Scizor and own. It's Jolly natured for the extra speed. I have Vappy for wish support with Zard, but I'm lacking a Rapid Spinner.

I was thinking along the lines of Cloyster, Blastoise, Hitmonchan, Starmie or namely Tentacruel. After researching what teach Pokemon can do, I've broke it down to Starmie for the offense imput, or Tentacruel for his ability to OHKO Dragons with Ice Beam and Support the team with Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin.

Post your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)