D/P Rest + Sleep Talk Spiritomb 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So me and Anti were discussing this and we found that Spiritomb could have 3 great sleep talks sets. One is already in the analysis and that is the sleep talk stall set with spite and protect. Jumpman posted the other one which revolves around Calm Mind and a lot of defense. However we still did not see this one made yet and we agreed that all three deserve mention, especially this one. I did post this in the other topic, but it is easier just to make a new topic to talk about it. Here is the page on spiritomb and jumps topic:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/spiritomb
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40253

And so I introduce Sleep Talk Spiritomb #3. This set I think was actually invented by obi, or at least he made it famous. However we readjusted the evs. Here it is. Also sorry for the cheesy name, but Sleep Talker #3 didnt sound very good:

[Set]
Name: Restless Spirits
Move 1: Rest
Move 2: Sleep Talk
Move 3: Hidden Power Fighting
Move 4: Shadow Ball
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 96 SpA / 120 SpD
IVs: 31 / x / 30 / 30 / 30 / 30

[Set Comments]
<p>While the other Sleep-Talk sets attempt and set up, this one focuses entirely on attacking and taking out threats that can ruin teams.</p>

<p>Unlike the other Sleep-Talk sets, the other moves on this set besides Rest and Sleep Talk are both special attacks. This is to effectively deal with threats that resist Shadow Ball. Hidden Power Fighting also means that this set will beat Blissey one on one. Shadow Ball + Hidden Power Fighting is unresisted by every type in the game, which is always extremely helpful when randomly choosing moves while sleeping.</p>

<p>The EVs are the bread and butter of this set. Always max your HP: It not only gives Spiritomb the best defenses possible, but also is divisble by 16 for for perfect Leftover's recovery. 120 Special Defense EVs, with a Calm nature, will allow you to survive 3 Flamethrowers from Life Orb Azelf. Additionally, Choice Specs Lucario and Choice Scarf Porygon Z cannot 3HKO with Shadow Ball or Ice Beam respectively; while 96 special attack allows you to guarantees a 2HKO on a standard 4 HP Lucario. The rest can be put in Defense.</p>

<p>When selecting your IVs for Hidden Power Fighting it is very important to use 31 / x / 30 / 30 / 30 / 30 IV for the sole reason of maintaining effective Leftover's recovery.</p>

I still have a few articles I want to do on some pokemon but I would love to get some critique on this one. Thanks =)

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
The writing for this peer edit seems very rushed, and it is abundant in mistakes ranging from spelling to capitalization. I suggest you give this a good look-over when you get the chance.

Sorry, was a bit rushed to finish this. I cleaned it up, although I am not sure on a few things. Is leftovers capitalized, and is special attack, special defense, ect. capitalized?

Pretty sure I got all the spelling mistakes. Tar doesn't really get a mention because he really isn't that important. HP Fighting will 2HKO most versions and Tar can't really do much back. CB Crunch does hurt though.

Sorry, was a bit rushed to finish this. I cleaned it up, although I am not sure on a few things. Is leftovers capitalized, and is special attack, special defense, ect. capitalized?

Pretty sure I got all the spelling mistakes. Tar doesn't really get a mention because he really isn't that important. HP Fighting will 2HKO most versions and Tar can't really do much back. CB Crunch does hurt though.
1) Crunch hurts.
2) It (also) hits Tyranitar hard (next to Lucario and Proygon-Z).

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
So me and Anti were discussing this and we found that Spiritomb could have 3 great sleep talks sets. One is already in the analysis and that is the sleep talk stall set with spite and protect. Jumpman posted the other one which revolves around Calm Mind and a lot of defense. However we still did not see this one made yet and we agreed that all three deserve mention, especially this one. I did post this in the other topic, but it is easier just to make a new topic to talk about it. Here is the page on spiritomb and jumps topic:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/spiritomb
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40253

And so I introduce Sleep Talk Spiritomb #3. This set I think was actually invented by obi, or at least he made it famous. However we readjusted the evs. Here it is. Also sorry for the cheesy name, but Sleep Talker #3 didnt sound very good:

[Set]
name: Restless Spirits
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 96 SpA / 120 Spe
ivs: 31 / x / 30 / 30 / 30 / 30 IV

[Set Comments]
<p>While the other Sleep-Talk sets attempt to stall and set up, this one focuses entirely on attacking and taking out threats that can ruin teams.</p>

<p>Unlike the other Sleep-Talk sets, the other moves on this set besides Rest and Sleep Talk are both special attacks. Shadow Ball + Hidden Power Fighting is unresisted by every type in the game, which is always extremely helpful when randomly choosing moves while sleeping</p>

<p>The EVs are the bread and butter of this set. Always max your HP: it not only gives Spiritomb the best defenses possible, but also is divisible by 16 for perfect Leftovers recovery. 120 special defense EVs, with a Calm nature, will allow you to survive 3 Flamethrowers from Life Orb Azelf. Additionally, Choice Specs Lucario and Choice Scarf Porygon Z cannot 3HKO with Shadow Ball or Ice Beam, respectively; while 96 special attack EVs guarantees a 2HKO on a standard 4 HP Lucario. The rest can be put in defense.</p>

<p>When selecting your IVs for Hidden Power Fighting it is very important to use 31 / x / 30 / 30 / 30 / 30 IV, for the sole reason of maintaining effective Leftovers recovery.</p>

I still have a few articles I want to do on some pokemon but I would love to get some critique on this one. Thanks =)

i'm not exactly sure how this set beats blissey one on one unless it doesnt have ice beam, when it comes down to it, 128/0 bliss takes 11~14 (252/0 takes 11~13). pretty much she can stall you out of hp fight pp and even sleep talk pp if she needs to.

Actually it is pretty much that you can rest and not sleep talk while her attacks to you do 2x as much pp. so basically if you play smart she will end up struggling and you can still have hp fight to beat her. it usually is only when she is the last pokemon. updating using maddogs version. thanks.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, Spiritomb with Rest easily outstalls Blissey. You don't need to kill it with HP Fighting. If you really want to win, you should be willing to do whatever it takes, even if that means sitting around doing nothing as Blissey runs out of PP.

Abilities, items, moves, and Pokemon are always capitalized. Stats are always capitalized. The "special" in "special attack" or "special attacker" is not capitalized if you are referring to the type of an attack ("Special Attack" the stat falls under the category of stats and is thus capitalized). Don't use abbreviations (except HP when referring to the stat... the move is Hidden Power Poison).

And you can't really credit anyone with "inventing" Rest, Sleep Talk, STAB attack, move that supports STAB attack.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

delete as I like chrisisme's version for more for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)