D/P Tyranitar .

I'm not letting you have the front page to yourself, Aldaron!

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tyranitar

[SET]
Name: Scarftar
Move 1: Earthquake
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Crunch / Stone Edge
Move 4: Thunderbolt / Fire Blast
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty / Naive

[SET COMMENT]
<p>Slow but powerful is not only Tyranitar's mantra, but also a description of a good candidate for the Speed-boosting Choice Scarf. 61 base Speed is still quite low, so don't expect to outrun most Dragon Dancers or Pokemon above 115 base Speed, but some of the most dangerous OU Pokemon like Salamence, Garchomp, Lucario, Gengar, Heatran, Azelf, and Infernape do fall in that bracket, and all of them are OHKOed. </p>

<p>Ice Beam and Earthquake are obvious choices for their wide coverage against some of the biggest threats, namely Dragon-types and some of the more offensive Steels (Lucario and Heatran) in addition to other Tyranitar. Crunch (which goes best with Thunderbolt) is for Gengar, Azelf, and Starmie. Stone Edge loses the lovely OHKOs on Gengar and Azelf, but lets you deal respectable damage to Gyarados without Thunderbolt and has the highest power overall. Unfortunately, even with Stone Edge, a 2HKO on Blissey isn't possible, but she'll be loathe to switch in against something that destroys her with nearly every other viable set. Fire Blast over Thunderbolt can 2HKO some things you couldn't otherwise, like Heracross, Metagross, most Jirachi, and some Bronzong, on top of wrecking Forretress/Scizor and still beating Skarmory. However, you're far weaker against Gyarados and other bulky Water-types in general.</p>

also I forgot to mention this but credit for the spread goes to kirchinator, whose RMT I shamelessly stole it from

Remove the part about the Shoddy Battle's top 10, as the analysis is meant for a more concrete, long term description of a Pokémon and should not be constricted to the metagame at a certain point. I'm not saying that Scarftar is, in fact I feel that it is very viable, but there isn't much of a need for the Shoddy Battle statement to begin with.

Also, the /'s between Pokémons' names should probably be removed. I think I recall somewhere that listing them with "and" is what the analysis requires, though I could be (and probably am) wrong. Personally I think it reads better with "and" instead of slashes, but thats more of a preference than anything else.

Other than that it looks very good. Short and sweet for a simple yet very dangerous set. Nice job Fishin!

Just a suggestion, but I think you should have Naive as an option as well.
Sandstorm boosts Tyranitar's Special Defense, so that may cover up the small loss from a Naive nature.
Also, it gives Tyranitar more survivability against Dugtrio, U-Turners, and any other physical attacks coming its way.

Just a suggestion, but I think you should have Naive as an option as well.
Sandstorm boosts Tyranitar's Special Defense, so that may cover up the small loss from a Naive nature.
Also, it gives Tyranitar more survivability against Dugtrio, U-Turners, and any other physical attacks coming its way.
I really disagree with this. In a sense it is like giving MixMence a Mild Nature. You don't want to use the boost to make up for a drop, you want it to capitalize on it.

One man's opinion.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really disagree with this. In a sense it is like giving MixMence a Mild Nature. You don't want to use the boost to make up for a drop, you want it to capitalize on it.

One man's opinion.
Agreed, since it has a scarf and good stats all around, Scarfing it and making it as fast as possible (hence the hasty nature), is still the best option. Besides, giving it a defensive nature would just be left to say the CB set.

Edit the first paragraph for a more general analysis. Focusing on just the current Top 10 is bound to change.

I think this was mentioned in the Other Options part of the Tar analysis and I'm glad you wrote up an analysis for it. It defiantly needed it.

Agreed, since it has a scarf and good stats all around, Scarfing it and making it as fast as possible (hence the hasty nature), is still the best option. Besides, giving it a defensive nature would just be left to say the CB set.

Edit the first paragraph for a more general analysis. Focusing on just the current Top 10 is bound to change.

I think this was mentioned in the Other Options part of the Tar analysis and I'm glad you wrote up an analysis for it. It defiantly needed it.
Uhh, I think you missed the main point of our disagreement.
Naive boosts Speed (like Hasty), while lowering Special Defense.
Basically put, I was suggesting a different Speed boosting nature that lowers Special Defense, which could be made up for in a Sandstorm.
I still think you should have Naive as an option over Hasty.
Then in some sort of Nature v.s. Nature analysis, you could compare the survivability of the two against various attacks across both spectrums.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uhh, I think you missed the main point of our disagreement.
Naive boosts Speed (like Hasty), while lowering Special Defense.
Basically put, I was suggesting a different Speed boosting nature that lowers Special Defense, which could be made up for in a Sandstorm.
I still think you should have Naive as an option over Hasty.
Then in some sort of Nature v.s. Nature analysis, you could compare the survivability of the two against various attacks across both spectrums.
ahh sorry I misunderstood, I was thinking that Naive was Naughty; my bad ;\

Ya, in that case since you have more Sp.Def than Def (due to SS), then I'd probably run a Naive. It won't make too much of a difference. Sorry for my mix up.

Mhm, that's what I was thinking happened.
I looked it up just to make sure I was thinking right.
Fishin, I think you should at the very least give Naive a mention.
Don't necessarily recommend the nature, just put it out there and note the difference between the two.

Remove the part about the Shoddy Battle's top 10, as the analysis is meant for a more concrete, long term description of a Pokémon and should not be constricted to the metagame at a certain point. I'm not saying that Scarftar is, in fact I feel that it is very viable, but there isn't much of a need for the Shoddy Battle statement to begin with.
Good point. Backing up statements by saying "Tyranitar can OHKO half of the top 10" holds much more water than saying "Tyranitar OHKO's a lot of OU Pokemon", which was my main reason for doing it the way I did, but eh :/. I'll definitely change it once I've thought of a good way to state Scarftar's power without relying on stats that might change.

Also, the /'s between Pokémons' names should probably be removed. I think I recall somewhere that listing them with "and" is what the analysis requires, though I could be (and probably am) wrong. Personally I think it reads better with "and" instead of slashes, but thats more of a preference than anything else.
I'm not 100% sure if that's required either but it'd probably make it look neater anyways so I'll fix that.

I'll add Naive as well. Hasty gives you a slightly higher stat total because of the SS boost and the fact that you're losing/gaining 10% but in retrospect there's not really much of a downside if you feel having less sp def/more def, so there's no harm in listing it as an option. I don't think there's really a need for any explanation of the benefits of either though, it's pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)