D/P White Herb Aerodactyl

Basically, this is a rather effective Aero set that I've had some success with, but I don't feel like making giant topic in Stark about it. So I guess I'll just post it here! This IS my first peer edit, but don't let that stop you from pointing out all the flaws in it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/aerodactyl

[SET]
Name: Drugodactyl
Move 1: Curse
Move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Roost / Taunt / Ice Fang
Item: White Herb
EVs: 72 HP / 216 Atk / 80 Def / 136 Spe / 4 SpD
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Aerodactyl possesses the oft-overlooked set-up move, Curse. Curse allows Aerodactyl to gain one level of boost in Attack and Defense, at the cost of one boost level of Speed. However, White Herb negates the Speed drop, essentially giving Aerodactyl a single Bulk Up boost. This, in addition to the 1.5x Special Defense boost that Sandstorm provides, gives Aerodactyl some much needed bulk. If needed, later on in the match, you may turn Aerodactyl into a wall of sorts with Curse, as it does possess nice resistances.</p>

<p>Stone Edge and Earthquake is your generic Rock and Ground combination, obtaining great coverage on all but a few select Pokemon. If preferred, Rock Slide may be used for accuracy, PP and the capability to flinch the opponent. The final move in this set is Roost, to help you take hits and heal them off. Alternatively, you may use Taunt to stop phazing, set up, or status effects. Ice Fang helps versus Flygon, Garchomp, Torterra and Gliscor, who all either resist edgequake or aren't 2HKOed by Earthquake.</p>

<p>The defensive EVs are set to have near equal Defense and Special Defense, with Special Defense being a point higher to ruin the Download ability. The Attack EVs are for a rock-solid 300 Attack points, to put force behind Aerodactyl's attacks, even before a Curse. The Speed EVs are to outspeed the 115 Base Speed Pokemon, consisting of Azelf, Starmie, Raikou and others. Due to the low popularity of the higher Speed members, more EV investment is not recommended. </p>
---

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
This actually works quite well, but a nicely-timed Intimidate will make you cry =/

Also

<p>Luckily, White Herb negates the speed drop, effectively making Aerodactyl have a bulk up boost.</p>
Why do you say "Luckily", when White Herb negates only stat-drops, and not stat-ups?I recommend cutting that part off.

Edit: lolnevermind

[SET]
Name: Herbadactyl
Move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
Move 4: Roost / Taunt
EVs: 76 HP / 216 Atk / 80 Def / 136 Spe

Thief does what exactly? Sure it steals an opponent item, but with a metagame filled with choice users that can really end up hurting you. I would rather just Taunt or Roost for support.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Aerodactyl possesses the often overlooked support move Curse. Curse allows Aerodactyl to gain an one level of boost in attack and defense, at the cost of one boost level of speed. Luckily, White Herb negates the speed drop, essentially giving Aerodactyl a Bulk Up boost. This, in addition to the 1.5x special defense boost that SandStream provides, give Aerodactyl some much needed bulk. If needed, later on in the match, you may turn Aerodactyl into a wall of sorts with Curse, as it does possess nice resistances.</p>

<p>Stone Edge and Earthquake is your everyday Rock and Ground combination, obtaining great coverage on all but a few select pokemon. If preferred, Rock Slide may be used for accuracy as well as PP. The final move in this set is Roost to help you heal off any damage taken while using Curse. Alternatively, you may use Taunt to stop phazing, set up, or status effects.</p>

<p>The Defense EVs are set to have equal Defense and Special Defense. The Attack EVs are for a rock solid 300 Attack points, to put force behind Aerodactyl's attacks. The Speed EVs are to outspeed the 115 group, consisting of Azelf, Starmie, Raikou and such. Due to the low popularity of the higher Speed members, more EV investment is not recommended. </p>

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just so you know assuming Jolly, 216 Atk, 136 speed the best spread that maximizes it's defenses assuming a Sandstream boosts to it's special defense is: 72 HP/ 84 Def. Not very different but for what it's worth you mine as well maximize it.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Aerodactyl possesses the often overlooked support move, Curse. Curse allows Aerodactyl to gain (omitted 'an') one level of boost in attack and defense, at the cost of one boost level of speed. Luckily, White Herb negates the speed drop, essentially giving Aerodactyl a Bulk Up boost. This, in addition to the 1.5x special defense boost that Sandstorm provides, give Aerodactyl some much needed bulk. If needed, later on in the match, you may turn Aerodactyl into a wall of sorts with Curse, as it does possess nice resistances.</p>

<p>Stone Edge and Earthquake is your everyday Rock and Ground combination, obtaining great coverage on all but a few select pokemon. If preferred, Rock Slide may be used for accuracy, PP, and the capability to flinch the opponent. The final move in this set is Roost, to help you take hits and heal them off. Alternatively, you may use Taunt to stop phazing, set up, or status effects.</p>

<p>The Defense EVs are set to have equal Defense and Special Defense. The Attack EVs are for a rock solid 300 Attack points, to put force behind Aerodactyl's attacks, even before a Curse. The Speed EVs are to outspeed the 115 group, consisting of Azelf, Starmie, Raikou and such. Due to the low popularity of the higher Speed members, more EV investment is not recommended. </p>
---
I just want to make this clear, Sandstorm gives the Special Defense boost not Sandstream. Sandstream is an ability that starts Sandstorm.

Just so you know assuming Jolly, 216 Atk, 136 speed the best spread that maximizes it's defenses assuming a Sandstream boosts to it's special defense is: 72 HP/ 84 Def. Not very different but for what it's worth you mine as well maximize it.
True. Noted.

Edit: I also fixed the above issues. Much thanks.

just wondering, wouldnt it make more sense to put the Defense one point below Special Defense so on the off chance a Porygon2/Z switches in, they get an attack boost instead of a Special Attack boost? it doesnt change its overall durability too much, but prevents Porygon2/Z from getting anything benficial from the switch in.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just wondering, wouldnt it make more sense to put the Defense one point below Special Defense so on the off chance a Porygon2/Z switches in, they get an attack boost instead of a Special Attack boost? it doesnt change its overall durability too much, but prevents Porygon2/Z from getting anything benficial from the switch in.
Well, first off P2 almost always uses Trace anyway and PZ often uses Adaptability. Anyhow, that's extremely situational and I feel it's much more worthwhile to just maximize it's defenses as opposed to changing it to a less effective defensive spread just to avoid letting PZ/P2 get a special attack boost. Also, PZ/P2 are both BL Pokemon so it's not exactly a top concern to be dealt with.

You may say that but I myself have seen enough PoryZ with Download to prefer having one more SpDef point than Def. Is one point really going to make a difference?

Hm...I'm kind of on the fence here. You lose a tiny bit of defensive effectiveness, but on the other hand you get to have the upper hand versus P-Z, what do the rest of you think?

Also, I changed the name to something more humorous.

personally i doubt that a single "bootleg" bulk up boost will be enough to allow aero to do anything noticable but this is a solid addtion to a curse BP chain though

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hm...I'm kind of on the fence here. You lose a tiny bit of defensive effectiveness, but on the other hand you get to have the upper hand versus P-Z, what do the rest of you think?

Also, I changed the name to something more humorous.
haha sweetski; liking the name

P-Z is such a non-threat right now, but changing the defenses probably wouldn't hurt. I'd say change the defenses around...

[SET]
Name: Drugodactyl
Move 2: Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Move 4: Roost/Taunt
EVs: 72 HP/216 Atk/84 Def/136 Spe
Spaces go inbetween slashes, so

"Stone Edge / Rock Slide"
"Roost / Taunt"
"72 HP / 216 Atk / 84 Def / 136 Spe"

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Aerodactyl possesses the oft overlooked support move, Curse. Curse allows Aerodactyl to gain one level of boost in attack and defense, at the cost of one boost level of speed. Luckily, White Herb negates the speed drop, essentially giving Aerodactyl a Bulk Up boost. This, in addition to the 1.5x special defense boost that Sandstorm provides, gives Aerodactyl some much needed bulk. If needed, later on in the match, you may turn Aerodactyl into a wall of sorts with Curse, as it does possess nice resistances.</p>
A hyphen needs to go between "oft" and "overlooked". I'm not positive, but I think Attack and Defense are capitalized. "Luckily" isn't the best choice of words; I'd go with "However". Again, I'm pretty sure Special Defense should be capitalized.

<p>Stone Edge and Earthquake is your everyday Rock and Ground combination, obtaining great coverage on all but a few select Pokemon. If preferred, Rock Slide may be used for accuracy, PP and the capability to flinch the opponent. The final move in this set is Roost, to help you take hits and heal them off. Alternatively, you may use Taunt to stop phazing, set up, or status effects.</p>
"everyday" isn't the best word choice. I'd use "standard", or "generic".

<p>The Defense EVs are set to have near equal Defense and Special Defense, with Defense being a point higher. The Attack EVs are for a rock solid 300 Attack points, to put force behind Aerodactyl's attacks, even before a Curse. The Speed EVs are to outspeed the 115 group, consisting of Azelf, Starmie, Raikou and such. Due to the low popularity of the higher Speed members, more EV investment is not recommended. </p>
A hyphen needs to go between "rock" and "solid". Replace "115 group" with "Base 115 Speed Pokemon". Replace "such" with "others".

Caelum

qibz official stalker
My question is, do we adjust the EVs of EVERY Pokemon in the analysis such that Porygon-Z won't potentially gain a Download boost? Of course Smogon doesn't so why should an exception be made in the case of Aerodactyl? Either that or people have to go back a rework a ton of EV spreads to avoid any potential gain for PZ.

In this case it's just such a minor insignificant change in Defenses, that you might as well. Though you won't encounter Download Porygon-Z often, when you do you'll be glad that you had slightly lower defense, as the drop in defenses will very, very rarely mean anything significant.

Not to be overly picky, but I don't really see Curse as a 'support move.' Support moves are things like Stealth Rock and Reflect that help the team. Curse is more of a stat upper.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My question is, do we adjust the EVs of EVERY Pokemon in the analysis such that Porygon-Z won't potentially gain a Download boost? Of course Smogon doesn't so why should an exception be made in the case of Aerodactyl? Either that or people have to go back a rework a ton of EV spreads to avoid any potential gain for PZ.
Simple answer is no (it'd take to bloody long), but with new analysis like this one, it wouldn't hurt so might as well do it.

<p>The Defense EVs are set to have near equal Defense and Special Defense
should probably be "defensive EVs", since you've got both def and sp def

However, White Herb negates the speed drop, essentially giving Aerodactyl a single Bulk Up boost.
Capitalize Speed

Also, agreeing about the Porygon-Z thing, Z isn't that common to begin with but essentially removing a choice specs boost from it is probably worth 1 point of defense.

i'm curious to know how viable this set is. guess i'll have to test it out. if something like CB zapdos has its own analysis, this should be the same. props on the creativity ;).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)