<@whistle> do we cap it at 100% for analyses
<%Fuzznip> hi
<%Fuzznip> what?
<@twash> it doesnt matter
<@twash> but i'd say no
<%Fuzznip> Yeah, it caps at 100%
<@twash> that's silly, really
<%Fuzznip> Well that's what I've been told
<@twash> because if you dont cap it, you get to see what it _could_ do which might change things on EVs
<+MetaNite> a little late but yes, cap it at 100%
<+MetaNite> and you should round everything down imo
<+MetaNite> keeps it needer and since everything rounds anyway
<+MetaNite> *neater

I agree with twash here. the extra information can be useful to quickly estimate what would happen if the defending Pokemon were a less or more defensive variant, and also gives you a good benchmark from which to estimate other attacks. the only argument I can think of that would be a reason to cap damage calcs is "aesthetics" but personally I think a calc looks better when it's not capped :|.

whichever way this goes there should be a C&C standard so we all do the same thing!

edit: also rounding. I think we should just use the output from Doug's calc since that is what most people are using nowadays and it is an easy standard. single percentage and hundredths rounding just "seems" too inaccurate.

I would personally prefer showing the actual number. As a reader of analyses, I like knowing exactly how much damage I'm dealing to a Pokemon, and I also agree that showing the actual numbers is prettier. This information is particularly useful so I know how I can adjust EVs to still deal with that threat, if I can. Usually when I see a flat "100%", I go and run the damage calc myself to get the actual number anyway. I think it'd be much more useful to have that calculation shown straight in the analysis instead of the "100%".

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The other good thing about not having caps is this;
let's say an arbitary calc comes to 94.5% - 102.4%
You have more chance of not OHKOing, so that could influence certain decisions, as well as say 97.4% - 109.3%, it's more likely to OHKO

no caps, the more information, the better, especially for calculating chances. aesthetics is the only reason to cap it and it doesn't look bad at all.

Let me bring something else up - rounding. Let's say you get a calc 97.4% - 109.3%. It looks a lot neater simply saying 97%-103%. And since it rounds down 100% of the time decimals are completely pointless and irrelevant.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
MetaNite, it does not round down to the nearest % damage. It rounds down to the Hit Point, which is generally a fraction of a % damage. 97.4% is a different amount of damage from 97%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)