SM Doubles OU Dance Dance Revolution

Hello! Thanks for looking over my team! This is my first real attempt at creating a team in the doubles metagame, so although this might not be the best team you have ever seen, but i want to improve how i perform in battle, and i'm hoping to get some suggestions on how this team / idea could improve.

The Team

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Life Orb
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Revelation Dance
- Air Slash
- Roost

Although at first glance, Oricorio is a really weak Pokemon overall, as the poor dancing bird managed to completely lack any base stats over 100. However, the main idea of the team is to abuse Oricorio's ability: Dancer. Dancer allows Oricorio to use any "Dance" move used by either myself or my opponent instantly after one is used. This snowballs really nicely, especially when Oricorio is pared with the next ally, but we will get to that later. Oricorio has protect to let it not only protect itself from all incoming damage for the turn, but can also have Dancer activate, allowing Oricorio to gain stats, or fire off attacks without any risk. Revelation Dance is Oricorio's best STAB option, and, because this Oricorio is in the Pom-Pom form, Revelation Dance becomes an electric type attack. Air Slash is Oricorio's other STAB option. Although it is much weaker than Revelation Dance, Air Slash still hits lots of Pokemon hard after a boost or two. finally, Roost was the move i chose for my last moveslot to give Oricorio a bit of longevity through out a match. Oricorio carries a Life orb to further boost the damage output from Oricorio, because Oricorio dosn't really have fantastic stats overall.

Volcarona @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

Volcarona is by far the best ally I could have stumbled across for Oricorio. Volcarona hits very hard, and can easily activate Oricorio's Dancer ability through two different moves. The first of these, is Quiver Dance. Quiver Dance gives Volcarona +1 to its SpA, SpD, and Spe. However, because Quiver Dance is a "Dance" move, Oricorio also gaivs these stat changes whenever Volcarona uses it. Volcarona's other way to abuse the Dancer ability is through Fiery Dance. Fiery Dance is an 80 base power fire type attack, that has a 50% chance to boost the users SpA by 1 stage. Not only is this a fantastic move for Volcarona, as it acts as Volcarona's fire STAB, but Oricorio can also use this due to Dancer, and can also reap the rewards that come with it. Giga Drain is Volcarona's best way to hit water type Pokemon that attempt to switch into a Fiery Dance, but it also adds a bit of longevity to Volcrona (and everybody likes to have a bit of longevity). Volcarona's last moveslot is Bug Buzz, Volcarona's bug STAB, and it also hits a bit harder than Fiery Dance in some instances. Volcarona is carring a Focus Sash (don't judge me quite yet) because these two have a massive weakness to rock, and, if doubles has sent one message to me, it would be that Rock Slide is everywhere. So, when both Oricorio and Volcarona both share a weakness to Rock Slide, i thought that a Focus Sash on Volcarona would make lots of scence because it adds a big level of security to my chances of getting off a Quiver Dance or Fiery Dance for Oricorio to abuse before Volcarona dies.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Now, hear me out on this one. Feraligatr might not be the best water type Pokemon ever, but it does one thing that many other pokemon can't get Dragon Dance, without stacking an ice weakness, and still beats rock type Pokemon. Dragon Dance, another Dance move for Oricorio, boosts Feraligatr's Atk and Spe by +1. Although Oricorio dosn't get anything out of an Atk boost, it still gains Spe, which is never a bad thing. Waterfall, Feraligatr's STAB of choice, also gets boosted by Sheer Force, along with Feraligatr's coverage moves: Crunch and Ice Punch. Life Orb is chosen for a major increase in damage output.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Mienshao is, again, not the best fighting type pokemon on the face of this earth. However, Mienshao adds a lot of support to this team. Mienshao brings a fast Fake Out support, somthing that every team enjoys. High Jump Kick is Mienshao's strongestSTAB attack even without its other useful ability in Reckless. U-Turn turns Mienshao into a fantastic pivot, and works very well with Regenerator, giving it more health to work with when it switches with an ally. Knock Off is used in the last moveslot to remove some annoying items that an opponent might have. a Life Orb is used to give more damage to Mienshao, as there is a significant difference in damage between a Reckless and non Reckless boosted High Jump Kick, so i wanted to make the difference a little less noticeable.

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Crunch

Mega Glalie is a very fun and hard hitting Pokemon that gives a lot of quick and hard hitting ice type attacks to a team that greatly appreciates it. In its base form, Glalie can chose to absorb a Fake Out so that he dosen't lose any turn thanks to Inner Focus, but when Glalie mega evolves, he gets a boost to his Spe and Atk, and he gains a new abillity: Refrigerate. This new abillity turns all normal type attacks into ice type attacks, and gives them a small boost to its power. Due to Mega Glailie's typing and abillity, it turns Double Edge into a 120 base power ice type move that is boosted by Refrigerate and also gains STAB. it almost guarantees a knockout on anything that doesn't resist it or is a dedicated physical tank. Earthquake is a fantastic coverage move for glalie, and synergises with with Oricorio thanks to its natural immunity to ground type attacks. Ice Shard is used for priority for Glalie, and also gets a STAB bonus as well. finally, Crunch is used for just a bit more coverage options from Glalie's somewhat poor movepool. Also, Glalitite is used to make Glalie mega evolve. Enough said there.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

The final member of my team is Metagross. Metagross is a reliable Pokemon that can do lots to support the team, mostly because it is the bulkiest member of the team. Bullet Punch not only gets STAB, but also gives Metagross acess to some priority. Meteor Mash is used to hit as hard as possible, and is also Metagross' strongest steel STAB. Zen Headbutt is Metagross' strongest Psychic STAB move, and, although it isn't as strong as Meteor Mash, it can still hit many targets that Meteor Mash can't. Finally, Earthquake is a powerfull coverage move for Metagross, and once again works well with Oricorio. Metagross is carring an Assault Vest, to increase it SpD, and, due to this team being as frail as it is, i figured that having at least one pokemon with good overall bulk would be a great addition.

Well, thanks for checking out my team! i have had a bit of success with it on a testing account, but, because i'm new to double, there is probably something that i have overlooked thats probably some kind of crippeling weakness to this team. So, if you have any suggetions for how to improve this team, please post them below. It would mean a lot to me!​

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello, CQCheck! I'm going to be completely honest with you and head this rate off with the fact that Oricorio, Feraligatr, Meinshao, Mega Glalie, AND regular Metagross all arent actually viable in the doubles metagame so if you want to continue using them you will be putting yourself at a rather large disadvantage due to the fact that they are all either outclassed in some way or they just aren't good in general. With that out of the way, I will do my best to fix your team by using mons with similar roles, but ones that are all around more viable in the dou metagame(and as a sidenote I wont change Oricorio since it appears to be the center piece).

Ok so to start, in this rate we will be changing your lineup from Oricorio/Volcarona/Feraligatr/Meinshao/Glalie-Mega/Metagross to Oricorio/Volcarona/Gyarados/Kangaskhan-Mega/Kyurem-Black/Jirachi. Here are the reasonings:

Gyarados outclasses Feraligatr in the DOU metagame. While Feraligatr may appear more threatening at first due to its higher damage output, Gyarados becomes the better choice as soon as you notice it has intimidate, which allows it to set up easier while also supporting its team by softening hits from opposing physical attackers.

I figured fakeout would be good enough in this slot so I added the best user of it in the meta to your team. Meinshao might have looked attractive due to a fast fake out and that super powerful High-Jump Kick, but if you start actively following the meta you will come to realize it is dominated by fairies, and on top of that most mons in doubles utilise protect meaning atleast 50% of the time you would be damaging yourself rather then your opponent. Kang on the other hand is the definition of consistency which is truely what your team needs. It is, as Ive already said, the single best user of fake out in the DOU metagame. It also offers consistent damage output which allows you to wear down the opposing team rather easily to sweep with either gyara or volc(or oricorio if you can manage to get it going).

Mega Glalie is a flat out waste of a mega slot so I got rid of that right away. I replaced it with scarf Kyube which does a few things for this team. First it is a nice way to keep Salamence-Mega in check so it can't just attack whatever it wants whenever it wants. It also just gives your team a nice safety net for speed allowing you to have a fast mon before you start getting things set up. Finally, just like kang it is a source of consistent damage, allowing you to wear stuff down more, again with the purpose of allowing you to sweep with one of your dancers.

And last member change, Jirachi. This mon is going to be much needed glue for you. It shares the same type as gross, which from what I could tell was there to be bulky, which rachi does a lot better anyways. The main reason its being added is its access to the move follow me, which allows your dancers to setup while avoiding being targeted by your opponent, allowing effectively free setups in quite a few situations. It also has icy wind to make opposing mons slower then in allowing it to flinch things to death, which, while you shouldn't normally rely on that strategy, is a rather nice out in some scenarios.

So those are the reasons as to why I changed the pokemon you were using to the ones I did. I guess the only thing left to do is give you the updated team and some advice on how to play it haha.

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Life Orb
Ability: Dancer
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Revelation Dance
- Air Slash
- Protect

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Return
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Protect

A couple more things to note first off. On Oricorio, I changed roost to tailwind, as it isnt bulky enough to ever truely make good use of it, and speed control is never a bad thing to have. On Volcarona, I replaced bug buzz with protect, as protect is a super important move on most Pokemon in DOU, it included, and all the normal targets for bug buzz are covered in some way or form by other members on the team. Now on to tips for using the team. Leads can be changed depending on matchup so you arent pigeon-holed in that aspect. Use team preview as a means to see if gyara or volc has a better chance of sweeping the opposing team and play accordingly. Jirachi is nice support once setup time comes and should be preserved for when you feel you need it. Use Kangaskhan-Mega and Kyurem-Black to soften the opposing team with both of their high damage outputs, and dont be afraid to sack either if you see an opportunity to get one of your dancers in so you can start setting up. And since in most matchups Oricorio won't actually be doing much, whenever you see a chance to get a sweep with it, take it lol. All in all this team is really offensive, but I feel it does have the tools to make itself successful. As I stated at the beginning, your putting yourself at a disadvantage by using Oricorio on your team so if you end up feeling like it never carries its wait you should try zapdos in its place, as its much more consistent. Hope you enjoy the team, and feel free to reply if you need more help playing it or are having problems with certain matchups or something. Cya around n_n

Hey Paraplegic! thanks for helping out! I've been playing around with the team, and i wanted to ask about some things...

1) Why is Gyarados running Return?

2) What set would you recomend for Zapdos? I want to see if it would work out better than Oricorio.

Thanks again, the team works out so well!

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey Paraplegic! thanks for helping out! I've been playing around with the team, and i wanted to ask about some things...

1) Why is Gyarados running Return?

2) What set would you recomend for Zapdos? I want to see if it would work out better than Oricorio.

Thanks again, the team works out so well!
1. Gyarados is running return since it has pretty god awful coverage optionsand return atleast provides pretty good neutral type coverage.

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

this is the standard set from last gen but it still works rather well :)

No problem, I hope you're enjoying it! Well my rate was technically "bad" due to me replacing so many mons, I tried my hardest to make your team viable so I hope you get a lot of use out of it! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)