1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dance, Dance

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Benacus, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Benacus

Benacus

Okay, so far I have had terrible luck with OU competitive teams since I quit doing competitive battles after the DPP gen. I have a special feeling about this team though so let me know what y'all think.

Sweeper
    Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Fiery Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Quiver Dance
    - Roost

This is one of my favorite bulky sweepers I have seen so far. With this little guy I get in, set up a Quiver Dance or two (hence the Fall Out Boy title), roost off any damage this moth takes, and proceed to finish off the enemy's team.

Starter
    Swampert @ Leftovers
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Punch

As with most teams there are entry hazards. Well, this team is no different. With decent bulk and nice coverage, Swampert makes a good opener. If I can't get a super effective on the first poke out (Ex. Salamence, Ninetales, Tyranitar), I just go for the stealth rocks getting thrown out followed by a switch or an attempt to knock some health down.

Core
    Metagross @ Choice Band
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Hammer Arm
    - Trick

I love bulky pokes so obviously I'm going to stuff my team with them. First off is Metagross, resistant to both rock and flying, it compliments Volcarona fairly well and gives me a chance to take out some threats to it like Heatran, Terrakion, and Blissey with Hammer Arm. Bullet Punch is nice to get a revenge kill or two with a nice STAB and a choice band boost. Trick with a choice band can cripple walls or special sweepers giving me some options on the offensive.

Salamence @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Hydro Pump
    - Roost

Resisting all Metagross' weaknesses (and vise versa) is Salamence. I don't see many Mence sets like this but I think it's pretty effective on my team giving me some special attacking bulk besides that fire moth. Draco Meteor/Fire Blast give almost perfect coverage while hydro pump hits Heatran pretty hard to put it lightly. Salamence also knocks out a couple of Volcarona's counters like another Salamence (Without being effected by Intimidate I might add) and Dragonite.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Bulk Up
    - Payback

Rounding off the bulkies is Conkeldurr, able to switch in to status moves and gaining a benefit from it is pretty awesome. After 1 bulk up it boasts a 600+ attack, and 300+ defense, not bad if I say so myself. Drain punch gives him a recover move, not 100% reliable, but more than most can ask for. Mach punch a chance to KO Terrakion or Lucario before they can hurt the team is also pretty nice. Payback gives him the chance to take out ghosts pretty effectively, mostly Jellicent.

Filler
    Starmie @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Rapid Spin
    - Trick

To round out the team which you may have noticed by now doesn't like stealth rock is Starmie! Obviously its main purpose is to Rapid Spin Stealth Rocks as far away from Volvarona as possible. With this set up Starmie can serve a couple more purposes though, with nice speed and choice specs on I can Ice Beam most dragons right out of my way, zap annoying bulky waters with Thunderbolt (Gyrados), and just like Metagross, I can trick my choice item away and ruin a would-be threat to my team.
  2. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Hello Benacus, nice team.

Now, while this is a solid team, even for a first time poster, it has some devastating flaws, I'm afraid. Hopefully this rate can iron out those flaws and help this team improve somewhat. With that said, let's get to the rate, shall we? Alright, first up, I would like to suggest replacing your current Swampert with a Landorus-T. Landorus-T does the exact same thing same as Swampert, but it also has Intimidate to take care of Physical attackers, it doesn't have to run max attack to hit hard, and it can be used an excellent Offensive Pivot. Moving forward, I would recommend using Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash over your current moveset choices of Eathhquake and Trick. Zen Headbutt is an excellent STAB for Metagross, allowing it to beat Conkeldurr, Breloom, and others. Meteor Mash is one of, if not the strongest move in his movepool, ad it also grants a possible Attack boost. Moving on to Salamence, I suggest running a Life Orb over your current choice of Expert Belt. Life Orb increases Salamences damage output by 20%, as Salamence loves to destroy everything in its path. Next, I suggest running a spread of 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe and a Naive Nature over your current EV spread and Nature. The aftermentioned EV spread speed ties opposing Volcarona, Celebi and Mew. FInally on Salamence, I suggest running Outrage and Earthquake over Hydro Pump and Roost. Outrage the strongest move in Salamences arsenal, as it hits everything but steel type for SE damage. Earthquake hits things like Heatran, Jirachi and others. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

Landorus-T (open)

[​IMG]
    Landorus @ Leftovers Lv. 100 -- Intimidate

Nature: Adamant - EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def​

- Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock

TL;DR (open)

• Swampert [​IMG]--------------------------> Landorus-T [​IMG]
    • Metagross [​IMG]: Earthquake & Hammer Arm -> Zen Headbutt & Meteor Mash​
    • Salamence [​IMG]:​
    • 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef -> 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
    • Expert Belt -> Life Orb
    • Modest Nature -> Naive Nature
    • Hydro Pump & Roost -> Fire Blast & Outrage

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)
  3. Benacus

Benacus

Thanks a lot I'll definitely make the changes but do you have another suggestion besides Landorus-T because I don't have access to it unfortunately
  4. Volty

Volty

I have a very nice sugestion you will definetly have access to! This is Lead Terrakion of course, it can set up rocks and then if your sash is still in tact you can try to kill as many pokemon as you can on a mini sweep. Heres the set...

Terrakion @ Focus sash
    Justified
    252 atk 252 spd 4 hp
    jolly
    -Stealth rocks
    -close combat
    -stone edge
    -swords dance
  5. Milos

Milos

first off, i'd like to say nice team! however, as dr.ciel mentioned, this team does have some flaws that need to be addressed. first off, i completely agree with the change from swampert ---> lando-t as well as giving salamence a life orb. however, i believe you should keep roost and use mixmence over your current set. here is the set:

Show Hide
    Salamence @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 100 Atk / 176 SAtk / 232 Spd
    Rash Nature (+SAtk,-SDef)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Brick Break
    - Roost

i don't believe hydro pump is actually necessary for your salamence, seeing as how every ground/rock/fire type is hit harder with either draco meteor or brick break. furthermore, it provides your team with a nice way to KO tyranitar and heatran right away. since you don't have any weather of your own, possible sand damage as well as LO damage could add up, which is where roost comes in handy. it also gives you a double-intimidate core along with lando-t, meaning physical threats will be a non-factor against your team.

another thing i want to address is metagross. you say it is used to KO heatran, but the fact of the matter is that heatran will usually outspeed you and KO you with fire blast before you can even touch it. however, landorus-t and salamence can both make quick work of heatran, as well as conkeldurr, so i don't think it's that big of an issue. you say you want a flying/rock resistance to complement volcarona, so i suggest you use jirachi. it has the exact same typing as metagross, however it has better mixed defenses and it is a lot faster. i notice your team has only one switch in to draco meteors/hydro pumps (which may be rain boosted, might i add) and apart from resistances has absolutely no way to deal with special attackers. i suggest you run a specially defensive jirachi to remedy this. not only can it pass wishes along to your other pokemon (most of them lack recovery) it can also make sure that threats like latios or keldeo can't just spam draco meteor/hydro pump whenever they please. it also gives you some paralysis support, making sure that your bulkier mons such as conkeldurr and landorus-t attack before your opponent does. here is the set:

Show Hide
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD/ 40 Def
    Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)

-Wish
    -Protect
    -Body Slam
    -Iron Head

Finally, your Starmie could do a better job of serving the role of spinning away your hazards. I'm afraid that, with Specs, it just won't last very long. In addition, Deo-D teams with Gengar completely ruin you if you don't predict perfectly, because being locked into Rapid Spin against heavy offense gives them a free turn to set up with their sweepers or outright KO you. I recommend changing your current Starmie to this:

Show Hide
    Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 40 HP/ 252 SpA/ 216 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)

-Rapid Spin
    -Psyshock
    -Surf
    -Recover

the given EVs allow you to outspeed and KO gengar with psyshock every time. you could use ice beam over surf if you want extra insurance against dragons, or even thunderbolt if you are really worried about gyarados, but generally surf is the superior option.

anyway, hope i helped and gl with the team!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)