1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dancing with fire. A dragon/sun team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by zenaly, Jul 30, 2012.

1. zenaly

zenaly

Dancing with fire.

I named this because of the famous dragon dance and this is a sun team (although i don't have DD ATM, i like the name) I'm playing with a viable team that best fits me so i will be constantly editing. my name is the same on show down so pm me if you wanna have some friendly battles :)

[​IMG] Iroh (Ninetales) @Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - SolarBeam
    - sunny day
    - Will-O-Wisp
    I've always loved ninetales and i've taken advice for sunny day tales for ttar and toad switches to hold my own for a bit. I basically just try to keep him safe and switch in for the drought/stab fire sbeam bluffs. I've been advised to switch ninetales, but i play best with this move set. I'll listen to imput on it though. solar beam for the switch in bluff. leftovers for living.

[​IMG]Latias @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Recover
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    I'm currently playing latios for a special wall/potential late game sweeper. hidden power fire for the sun but might switch for roar so i can get a good Calm mind up. What do you guys think?

[​IMG] XOP (salamence) @ choice belt
    Trait: moxy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Naughty Nature
    - Outrage
    - Fire blast
    - Dragon claw
    - Earthquake
    Wanted to try mixed sweeper moxy mence with choice belt for the raw power. dragon claw for a solid hit and outrage for raw power. EQ for coverage and fire blast for the sun light stab. I often find my self switching him in for a quick kill or making the enemy switch out so i think getting that solid switch out hit on an opponent is super important before i switch out.

[​IMG]Gamabunta (Venusaur) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sleep powder
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

I hope his place on the team is evident and paired with sun makes him deadly. HP fire for counters in the sun and EQ for coverage, although i might switch out because giga drain takes care of alot of issues that EQ can deal with. HP fire for the unlucky foe that doubts it. I've had so much good luck with hp fire. it has helped with bluffing switch ins vs other venusaurs and brelooms.

[​IMG]Zabuza (Heatran) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Protect
    - Toxic
    depending on the enemy team i like to lead with heatran for his bulk defense/stealth rock used for switching in on moves/poison stall. and protect for scouting moves. bulky for walling off physical sweepers and shutting down volcarona for the rest of the game with toxic/stealth rock but i was thinking of switching protect for EQ or HP fighting to help stall vs other heatrans, since i find a huge weakness to heatran with this team.

[​IMG]Star Fucker (Scizor) @ choice band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - super power
    - U-turn

I like to use him as lead to quick switch out revenge and lead for a strong u-turn. decided to choice band and go with pursuit for when i lead and they switch out/in general. super power for that big hit on steel dark types.

also thoughts on trading scizor for a stall jirachi with ironhead body slam wish protect?
  2. zenaly

zenaly

think maybe switch gengar with dugtrio for heatran coverage?
  3. Electrolyte

Electrolyte I'll be your light, your match, your burning sun
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hi! Nice team, and creative nicknames (though, I don't get 'star fucker') It would be of great help if you could beef up your descriptions, and add some sprites, so it's much more fun to look at and so the raters have some background knowledge on how your team works. Your team looks pretty solid, but there are a few obvious things I think you should change. Ninetales needs either Leftovers of Life Orb instead of Charcoal- Leftovers makes Ninetales last longer, while Life Orb powers up its attacks more than Charcoal does, at the expense of 10% recoil. Salamence also needs Life Orb instead of Dragon Fang, as all of your attacks will be boosted, increasing your power. Gengar needs Black Sludge, not a Life Orb. Your Gengar is being used for stall, so you want to regenerate your health.
  4. zenaly

zenaly

with a weather team like this should i always lead with ntales?
  5. Avatar Korra

Hello :)
    First thing's first, you should definitely lengthen your descriptions to at lest 5 lines per Pokemon. It helps us raters understand their role better. ;)

Anyways, you seem to have a sun team, so I'll base my rating off of that. First off, Sunny Day on Ninetails? Lol you have Drought which automatically sets it up. Sunny Day is completely worthless and takes up a valuable moveslot. I don't recommend Solarbeam either, as Ninetails doesn't hit hard enough to make it effective.

I highly recommend a more bulky set, which can cripple dangerous threats and all in all be a more effective sun user

[​IMG]
    Ninetales @ Leftovers
    Drought
    248 HP / 16 Def / 8 SAtk / 220 SDef / 16 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Roar
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    - Flamethrower

Will-O-Wisp is for crippling dangerous physical threats that like to switch in like Tyranitar, Pain Split is an effective way of healing, and Roar is good for shuffling around the opponent's team.

I agree Gengar doesn't particularly on this team, as he doesn't really accomplish much to help your team out. I suggest Latias, who can help against rain teams as well certain threats to your team like Heatran. A bulky Calm Mind set can ensure survival and you may even get a sweep going!

[​IMG]
    Latias @ Leftovers
    Timid
    252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Recover
    ~ Dragon Pulse
    ~ Hidden Power Fire

Salamence I'm confused why you have a Lonely nature when you have no Special Attacks? A Dragon Dance set is good, however Dragon Fang is a bad item and Shadow Claw is useless. I would switch Dragon Fang for Life Orb, and replace Shadow Claw with Fire Blast.

[​IMG]
    Salamence @ Life Orb
    Naughty
    Moxie
    252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Venusaur is a cool guy for a sun team, however you should definitely tweak his EV's a bit and add Sleep Powder and EQ. Sleep is VERY valuable with 5th gen's mechanics, and Earthquake gives you much better coverage. Honestly I would drop Growth and give him a Life Orb, as you don't have much time to set up with him

[​IMG]
    Venusaur @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 156 Atk / 172 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Sleep Powder
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power Ice/Fire
    - Earthquake

Heatran looks good, I would tweak his EV's to 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe though, the speed helps with outrunning certain key Pokemon.

Choice Band Scizor is always a solid choice, I recommend you switch Ariel Ace for Superpower though, it's more useful to wreck bulky Normal Types with it. The only use for Ariel Ace I can think of is Breloom, but you shouldn't have too much trouble with him.

Phew I'm done, I hope I helped! :)
  6. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent Yeah, well. The Dude abides
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Avatar Korra there's a good reason Sunny Day Ninetales one of the best sets. Politoed and Tyranitar generally have an easy time switching in on Ninetales, as they resist Ninetales' STAB and hit her with their STABs super effectively as well. Therefore, using Sunny Day on the predicted switchin keeps the Sun up, and more importantly, allows Ninetales to hit both of them with a super effective SolarBeam. Although a set of Fire Blast, SolarBeam, Sunny Day and Pain Split with LO might benefit your rather offensive team more.
  7. Avatar Korra

Ehh the way I see it Tyranitar is simply too threatening of a Pokemon for Ninetales to even stay in on. I wouldn't want my only 'mon who sets up sun to risk staying in on something that could OHKO it easily.

The only way I can see Sunny Day used effectively against Tyranitar is to use it if you predict TTar switching in. However, if you're predicting it to switch in anyways, I would rather permanently cripple it with a burn. Besides, Solarbeam I don't think is strong enough to take out TTar anyways, so there's no way I would stay on it to both Sunny Day and then SolarBeam for the no-kill, while it can take out Ninetales whenever it wants.

That's just my opinion though, and I can definitely see it's uses against Politoed. OP, you definitely should try out both sets, and use whichever one you find to be more effective! ^_^
  8. zenaly

zenaly

how do i post pokemon sprites?]
    and with this team think i should lead with ninetales?

also thoughts on trading scizor for a stall jirachi with ironhead body slam wish protect?
  9. Avatar Korra

You should definitely lead with Ninetales if you don't see another weather inducer on the other team. Ah, the joys of team preview! ^_^

Here's the website I use for sprites.

What you must do is right click the Pokemon you want to use, and select "Copy Image URL".
    Then, paste the URL in between an image code.

Example (say I want to post Darmanitan):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS try not to double post. If you want to add something, use the edit button on your previous post! I don't want you to get in trouble. :)
  10. Malkyrian

Malkyrian

For posting Pokemon sprites, just find a sprite of the Pokemon you want, use the image by itself (usually, right clicking it and selecting View Image will get you there), then copy+paste the URL and post it with [​IMG].

I use, and tend to recommend, this site. Gives both animated and non-animated sprites, and even gives official artwork for most mons.

EDIT: Ack, ninja'd.
  11. Avatar Korra

Lol it just means I "ninja'd" him by typing almost the same post as him faster. Now that both of us told you how to post sprites you should definitely make your post prettier by adding them :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)