dans art

Well, I am a pretty fast artist. But at the same time, I try not to make it TOO fast, so I don't mess it up.
And sure!

.....Here you go! Sorry if it looks a bit, meh, I'm not a big fan of the cat, xD. But hope you like it.
AWESOME THX

<3 luvdisc'd

Which is great when it looks great, going for something stylistically like that is fine, but you should improve the way you draw first before trying to jump into really stylistic styles. Because, atm, it just looks like a rushed, mediocre drawing (no offense intended~).

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Nah, it's alright.
Not to mention, I just got my Tablet a mere 6 days ago. I'm still trying to find my style.
Always up for criticism!

Np.

The best way to find your style is to not look for it. Purposely looking for a style will make it so you never find it, just draw~

If I had the right program I'd be giving visual examples, sorry that I don't d:

I personally like the messy style. Learning how to draw is not about having clean lines, or the right colors, or anything at all. It's about expression, and if he (she?) likes expressing himself with messy line art then it is perfect.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I personally like the messy style. Learning how to draw is not about having clean lines, or the right colors, or anything at all. It's about expression, and if he (she?) likes expressing himself with messy line art then it is perfect.
Aww, that means a lot.
By the way.
"He". :)

That's a fantastic ideology to have (no it's not an it never will be).

He'll never improve telling him that, he'll never improve ever. That's why I take the time to say these things, to help them improve. I see someone trying to draw that could be better and the best way to help them get better is to take the time to constructively critique the stuff they post.

Not to mention, learning how to improve basic drawing skills will indeed help you learn to better express yourself in the future. Don't tell me he shouldn't try to improve because it will hinder his ability to "express" himself.

Uh, no. He's expressing himself fine right now. I really like his stuff. When I started I tried out a style, liekd it and now I do everything liek that and no-one complains. Its called a style. For instance, Kinneas' work isn't overly detailed or super-accurate, but its amazing and everyone loves it because that's not the point of the style. The style is cute and simple. Same with Danmire. His stuff is great, and he'll improve even staying in this style. My earlier works in my style are crap, and even though I can still improve a lot, its now much better than when I started out. Anyway, even if all you said was true for lots of people, its not true for everyone. Everyone learns different ways.

Rant over

This Weavile looks awesome. C: I do like your lineart style. Also, art is intended for expressing yourself, not necessarily being good. Being good is a bonus. I think Dan has the bonus (I know I don't, lol). :> The effects are great for the sword. I forget if I've asked already but what program do you use? It looks similar to a site I used to go on.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
For the effect, I use Paint SAI.
For the shading, GIMP.
For the drawing outline and what not, Macromedia Flash MX.

Uh, no. He's expressing himself fine right now. I really like his stuff. When I started I tried out a style, liekd it and now I do everything liek that and no-one complains. Its called a style. For instance, Kinneas' work isn't overly detailed or super-accurate, but its amazing and everyone loves it because that's not the point of the style. The style is cute and simple. Same with Danmire. His stuff is great, and he'll improve even staying in this style. My earlier works in my style are crap, and even though I can still improve a lot, its now much better than when I started out. Anyway, even if all you said was true for lots of people, its not true for everyone. Everyone learns different ways.

Rant over
No.

Style is never an excuse on reasons why you shouldn't change or improve. Some styles are bad because of lack of knowledge on knowing what they're doing and what is aesthetically appealing. Because they don't have basic skills we end up with games like Atari 2600's E.T. The Extra Terrestrial and Cheetahmen. However, we know there are many amazing styles out their in the forms of games such as Capcom x Namco, most of the fighting games located here, specifically Street Fighter, Mother 3, and Megaman. What do all these styles have in common? They were made by proffesional's who had basic art skills like anatomy, perspective, use of color, shading and shape. With these basic skill, they were able to show the audience what they wanted to express even better.

How will he know what to improve on? Is he going to randomly find it out? He wouldn't be able to if he was under the impression his artwork was perfect and that he didn't need to improve on it.

And yes, some people can improve without having people tell them where to improve, but those people are already aware of the flaws they have, and will take the necessary procedures that will help them improve.

At your newest piece, Weavile's anatomy kinda baffles me. It's like your going for this human esque piece, but the drawing's head just doesn't match the body.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Weavile_(Pokémon)

Consider the body anatomy Weavile actually has. He's kinda thin and lanky, but his head is about half the size of his body. And it's not really realistic, because you didn't draw him like a weasel. The anatomy you have is also really messed up.

I see shoulder blades, but they aren't spaced out well. I also don't see any shoulders, indication of a spine etc. Try doing for a midget cartoony look, his head will fit better. The arms really bug me because, again, you're going for this human esque shape without really understanding what arms look like. Weavile's head is a little off too.

Weavile's head is arrow shaped, with his eyes essentially being the top line where it all comes to a point. Weavile's head is also, well, Idk how to describe his head shape. It's like a piece of paper being bent in a circular shape really, so a side view would demonstrate that more by showing us a little bit of the other side of his head.

And lol, being good isn't a bonus, it's the result of hard work (although some people have natural talent but that's not the point~).

Prime example of someone who took criticism and improved as a result, furthering his ability to express himself to the audience;
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/8024.htm?sec=icons&pg=1

EDIT: Removed "bullshit" (although tbh I like that word~)

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
tl;dr
Nah, I read it. You don't really need to use words like "Bullshit" to shut down other peoples things.
As for Weavile, thanks for the advice. I'd sketch it when I make another one.

EDIT: k

Dude, you don't have to be anatomically perfect to express what you want. If your aim is to make something that is anatomically perfect, then yes you should take a look at some references in order to become more accurate. I am a self taught artist, well basically self taught everything (nobody teaches me anything), and if you take a look at my art from high school and my stuff now, there is a huge improvement. It just comes to you.

And Danmire, you are doing awesome! I'd say go for it, make as many anatomical errors as you'd like. Your art is just that, yours. I'll still cheer you on!

The drawing itself is incredibly awkward because of the anatomical errors, and yes, when you add shoulder blades, arm muscles, elbows etc, you are telling the audience that your intention is indeed to have a somewhat realistic looking thing. Having an understanding of anatomy helps you a lot, why? It helps you construct poses, understand how things bend, what it should look like in a certain movement

And I'm not talking about really silly things where anatomy is stylistically distorted to give off a certain feeling. This is not that, these are errors because of lack of knowledge.

I'm not doing this because "lolol it has to be perfect" or "here let me control everything", I'm doing this because these are real errors and correcting these errors and having an understanding of what is going wrong will help him.

It's fantastic you are a self taught artist (though, you improve because of the observations you made in your artwork and the things around you), and your stuff is good, but neither you nor anyone else is exempt from error.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm sort of going for the anatomy thing, but for a few things.
He's an example of what I am doing, :)
Using a Sea Serpent painting for Gyarados' long serpent-like body.

sorry kipp *feels ashamed*

Loving the Gyarados. I'm trying to imagine it as a Magikarp. Nope, can't =D Gyarados just got more badass-er

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)