ORAS OU Dark Meditation

So I'm getting back into battling after awhile out of it. I made this team after a little reading up on the metagame. It's worked kinda well, although i have no clue what to call it. (Cookies to whoever can come up with a good name)

I was going for a balanced team and I think I achieved it; it's hitting hard and taking hits well. I'm pleased with its performance as most of my losses have come from user error (Let's keep Ferrothorn in on Manetric, totally a good idea), so I don't know where improvements can be made. However, no team is perfect and there is always room for improvement, so i turn to you for suggestions and help.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

Easily the powerhouse of the team. With 656 attack after Pure Power, High Jump Kick will do serious damage to anything that doesn't resist it, If not just wipe it out. Zen Headbutt is a nice secondary stab, dealing with most things that High Jump Kick can't. Fake Out is always nice free damage allowing it to revenge damaged foes, also lets me get my mega evolution off if I will be outsped. Ice Punch is for extra coverage OHKOing Things like Gliscor, Landorus and Garchomp.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Although Bisharp doesn't hit as hard as Maedicham, but still is an effective killer. Not to mention he has good synergy with Medicham being able to take things out that give medicham trouble such as bulky psychics. The Team is also pretty entry hazard heavy, often forcing opponents to use Defog. Bisharp loves coming in at that point and taking a free atk boost, in some cases resulting in a sweep. Sucker Punch is often his go to move considering his speed is meh. Knock Off is his real damage doer though, the opponent loosing the item part is just a plus. Iron Head is a nice alternative stab on an otherwise all dark moveset. Pursuit is to ensure destruction of those it is there to kill, not allowing them to escape; great for ghosts that might scare me out of High Jump Kick with Medicham.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Recently I was in the minds set of "Garchomp is an offensive pokemon, he should be used for offense only." Well I decided to give defensive chomp a try and I do not regret it. He takes hard hits well and the Rocky Helmet, Rough Skin combo does great at wearing down the enemy. Dragon Tail does decent damage and force switch plays well into the amount of entry hazards on this team. Earthquake is his go to damage move while Fire Blast helps deal with steels like Ferrothorn. stealth Rock Helps deal with fliers and negates almost any focus sashes (curse you Magic Guard) and sturdy pokemon.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

This little guy seems to do a lot for the team, his typing lets him switch in on a lot meant for the rest of them team, and he has the bulk to take it. Scald is an obvious choice as it makes several physical attackers hesitates to switch or stay in on him. Acid Spray is a nice second move that lets me slowly win against special walls like Mega Sableye and many Fairies. Toxic Spikes is an always fun way of spreading status and can quickly doom a whole team if they don't deal with it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn pairs nicely with Tentacruel covering each others weaknesses almost perfectly. He seems to have trouble going down too, in some cases dropping down into the red and then finding ways to come back to decent health before the battles done. Power Whip and Gyro ball both give Ferrothorn good was to do damage, the notable being Gyro Ball often hitting max power with Ferrothors great speed of 40. Spikes further limits the opponent from switching by taking a quarter of a pokemons HP when it comes in, as long as it doesn't fly or levitate. Leech Seed is its only recovery outside leftovers, but often its enough. The extra damage to enemies also helps.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Starmie is the last member that ties up a few loose ends, the most notable is Thunderous who gives the rest of the team trouble, although he always seems to paralyze Starmie first. Other than that he supplies speed that the rest of my team lacks, and has great coverage allowing him to keep many threats in check. Hydro Pump is power move that will wash away most things that dont resist it. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam is the famous bolt beam combo that gives Starmie excellent coverage. I'm not 100% sure on analytic, I'm sure the extra power helps sometimes when Starmie goes second, such as against Thunderous, but there's timed he gets hit with a status and Natural Cure would have helped more.

My only other real concern is that I have 2 spinners. Sometimes this is ok, but this team doesn't really have a problem with entry hazards so i know 2 aren't really needed. I would just change it on the pokemon that uses it less but they both use it about the same amount.

Any suggestions you think would help would be appreciated. Thanks ^_^

Last edited:
Hi spidy, on a first sight your team looks really solid and i can find only 2 weaknesses, Electric types (manectric and thundurus) and spam of Ground Move (sand rush exca and scarf-landot), lets see how to resolve these problems. The first change i suggest you is to replace tentacruel with Clefable as it allows you to check manectric and thundurus (without nastyplot, that is revenge killed by starmie anyway) providing also a solid win condition and helping Garchomp with lopunny since it has to switch in several pokemons such as bisharp and talonflame. Thunder wave has great sinergy with Mega Medicham since his speed isnt that great also i think you should make it Jolly in order to outspeed or tie with Kyub, manaphy and Zards that are problematic for your team. The second change is SpDef Skarmory > Ferrothorn, even if spdef, Skarmory can deal with sand rush excadrill and scarf landot switching on every of their moves still being able to check fairy types like gardevoir and diancie keeping up spikes support.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Manetric i usually send garchomp in and eq it, garchomp survives hp ice, although it does put him in the red, thunderous i use starmie for as i mentioned, although these arnt counters so i see your point
earthquake ive just used garchomp or ferrothorn to take it

ill try the changes and see how they work though, thanks

Hi, nice team.

The first thing I noticed was a very large weakness to Mega Sableye. Considering your build is around Mega Medicham, this is one of the threats you absolutely have to take care of. You also have a general weakness to Fighting types. As such, I suggest you change Tentacruel for Talonflame, which allows you to check Mega Sableye, as well as things like Mega Lopunny. You don't really need two rapid spinners on the team. I was going to suggest Clefable too, but this racks up a weakness to Mega Scizor, especially if I think you should replace Fire Blast with Stone Edge for Talonflame.

Psyshock is a move that you should put on Starmie, allowing you to better check sub CM Keldeo, over Ice Beam or Thunderbolt. Stone Edge is also an option you can consider on TankChomp, as it checks Talonflame for your team better.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

In my opinion, Fire Blast is not that necessary on Garchomp, as Mega Medicham really abuses Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor is countered by Talonflame.

Hope it helps!

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
"Dark Meditation" is my suggestion for the name, because your team is (in) balance and the stars are Bisharp and Medicham. I like those two Pokemon, although they are a bit slow compared to the rest of OU. These two are often times very problematic for the opponent.
I see a few problems with that team. You try to run balance. On balance, you usually pick a defensive core which can handle most common threats in the metagame. So you need a switchin for the most common threats and capitalize on forcing them out by going for Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock or recovery for example.
Manetric i usually send garchomp in and eq it, garchomp survives hp ice, although it does put him in the red, thunderous i use starmie for as i mentioned, although these arnt counters so i see your point
earthquake ive just used garchomp or ferrothorn to take it
That's how you play Hyper Offense.
You are a bit weak to fast electrics like Mega Manectric, because there is no way you are going to switch into a Thunderbolt (or a Volt Switch) with that team, Garchomp almost dies to a HP Ice, which Pokemon is your Talonflame counter after that ?

My first suggestion is:
Hippowdon@ Leftovers | Sand Stream
Impish 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Earthquake / Stealth Rock / Slack Off / Stone Edge or Whirlwind
>

• Hippowdon does extremely well on Balance teams
  • is an answer to so many in OU
  • is a Bird(Talonflame)-Counter
  • it checks fast Electric types like Raikou (non Specs), Mega Manectric and without dying
  • eats hits from fast physical attackers like Mega Lopunny, Garchomp, Landorus, Terrakion...
  • has recovery
  • does better against sand offense
Then you have almost no answer to Charizard Y, Tentacruel is too passive in the sun.
idea:
Latios@ Life Orb | Levitate
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Roost / HP Fire or Calm Mind
>

• why do you need two spinners? nothing on your team is weak to Rocks, Tentacruel is more than enough as a spinner
  • Latis keep the water resistance in the team, while also being Psychic type
  • deal with Charizard Y which 6-0s you, your only answer is Sucker Punch + Fake Out by sacrificing one of them
  • takes on Thundurus too
  • good offensive presence with Draco Meteor and Psyshock
  • Hidden Power Fire breaks Steel types
  • or a Calm Mind set would work against stall, you can choose what fits best to your playstyle and try out
Now, if you would apply all these changes, you can use Swords Dance over Pursuit on Bisharp. I would either run Swords Dance on Bisharp or Calm Mind on Latios, so that you seriously damage the things that wall Medicham and "soften up" the opposing team. Calm Mind Lati would break Sableye and other typical stall members.
Swords Dance Bisharp would not break Sableye that easily, but other walls. I guess some finetuning has to be done there, by testing the team a lot.

Final overview:

ImportablePastebin
Yes I run Swords Dance on Bisharp and Calm Mind on Lati, I want to hit things with +1 Draco and damage Skamory with 80% with +2 Knock Off on Bisharp on the switch.

Last edited:
"Dark Meditation" is my suggestion for the name, because your team is (in) balance and the stars are Bisharp and Medicham. I like those two Pokemon, although they are a bit slow compared to the rest of OU. These two are often times very problematic for the opponent.
I see a few problems with that team. You try to run balance. On balance, you usually pick a defensive core which can handle most common threats in the metagame. So you need a switchin for the most common threats and capitalize on forcing them out by going for Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock or recovery for example.

That's how you play Hyper Offense.
You are a bit weak to fast electrics like Mega Manectric, because there is no way you are going to switch into a Thunderbolt (or a Volt Switch) with that team, Garchomp almost dies to a HP Ice, which Pokemon is your Talonflame counter after that ?

My first suggestion is:
Hippowdon@ Leftovers | Sand Stream
Impish 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Earthquake / Stealth Rock / Slack Off / Stone Edge or Whirlwind
>

• Hippowdon does extremely well on Balance teams
  • is an answer to so many in OU
  • is a Bird(Talonflame)-Counter
  • it checks fast Electric types like Raikou (non Specs), Mega Manectric and without dying
  • eats hits from fast physical attackers like Mega Lopunny, Garchomp, Landorus, Terrakion...
  • has recovery
  • does better against sand offense
Then you have almost no answer to Charizard Y, Tentacruel is too passive in the sun.
idea:
Latios@ Life Orb | Levitate
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Roost / HP Fire or Calm Mind
>

• why do you need two spinners? nothing on your team is weak to Rocks, Tentacruel is more than enough as a spinner
  • Latis keep the water resistance in the team, while also being Psychic type
  • deal with Charizard Y which 6-0s you, your only answer is Sucker Punch + Fake Out by sacrificing one of them
  • takes on Thundurus too
  • good offensive presence with Draco Meteor and Psyshock
  • Hidden Power Fire breaks Steel types
  • or a Calm Mind set would work against stall, you can choose what fits best to your playstyle and try out
Now, if you would apply all these changes, you can use Swords Dance over Pursuit on Bisharp. I would either run Swords Dance on Bisharp or Calm Mind on Latios, so that you seriously damage the things that wall Medicham and "soften up" the opposing team. Calm Mind Lati would break Sableye and other typical stall members.
Swords Dance Bisharp would not break Sableye that easily, but other walls. I guess some finetuning has to be done there, by testing the team a lot.

Final overview:

ImportablePastebin
Yes I run Swords Dance on Bisharp and Calm Mind on Lati, I want to hit things with +1 Draco and damage Skamory with 80% with +2 Knock Off on Bisharp on the switch.
everything in this post makes sense
also you get cookies ^_^

anyway some notes, i did actually have i time or 2 where chomp went down before the talonflame did, i ended up using bisharp to suckerpunch it while i assume it tried to flare blitz it, but im liable to find someone who will see that and just switch out

and i only ever saw one charizard y, he got murdered by stealth rock

thanks for the help, i look forward to trying these changes out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)