1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Darmanitan (Belly Drum) [WIP]

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by Zanotto, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Zanotto

Zanotto

[Overview]

• Basically it is a 5th gen version of the ocasionally seen Drummer Charizard on 3rd gen. ​
    • With the addition of Darmanitan, the game gets a brand new drummer sweeper. Slower than Charizard, but it is compensated with higher base attack,better movepool, and 2x weakness to Stealth Rock (against 4x weakness of Charizard). ​
    [SET]

Darmanitan (M) @ Salac Berry​
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) / Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Belly Drum
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake\Rock Slide\Superpower

[SET COMMENTS]

• The idea is to send Darmanitan against everything it forces switching out, like grass and type pokemon or everything Darmanitan could OHKO if it had Flare Blitz (scarf set is one the standard ones). By using Susbtitute, you gain the opportunity to go for Belly Drum and get +1 Speed boost and the power to outspeed any non-scarfer or below 95 base speed scarfer.​
    • 101 substitute is important here.​
    • Max speed is important to outspeed below 95 base speed scarfers, but 164 EVs in speed is enough to take down non-scarfers with adamant nature. Memento users like Whimiscott are good partners since they help Darmanitan to force the opponent to switch out. This set is more recommented mid-late game after checking if there is some threat like priority moves or Sturdy and the possibility of kill the entire party of the opponent; but early game may still work against unprepared teams.​
    • If hit by Stealth Rock, Darmanitan has still enough conditions to perform a substitution and drumming afterwards.​

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
    • Dangerous in UU, but may also be in OU on skilled hands. Just send Darmanitan against those Ferrothorns. Can be effective even against rain teams, since +6 attack and sheerforce has the pottential to sweep eveything, even if resisted x2. Not very effective against sand teams because of HP drop, but still usable againt them.​
    [Other Options]​
    • There arenĀ“t any. Suggestions?​
    [Checks and Counters]
    • Fake out,priority moves and sturdy can really dissapoint an attempt of sweeping if Darmanitan is not used at right time of the match.​
    • Entry hazard cripples Darmanitan capabilities of standing up over the turns, or even performing a Belly Drum.​
    • Rotom-H, Porygon2, Slowbro, Suicune, Swampert with some decent good EV bulk distribution may resist +6, but they will always be 2KOed. This should be calculated. ​
  2. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

It's incredibly difficult to pull this set off in an actual match. You need to prevent hazards from going up, find the time to set up Darmanitan, while keeping it healthy. That's honestly not an easy thing to do, especially if your opponent puts you in a position where you're forced to bring out Darmanitan early. The regular LO Darmanitan set already has overkill offense + u-turn to switch out of Pokemon that can check it, and Scarf Darmanitan can sweep teams with way less effort. This set doesn't beat anything the regular set LO set doesn't, and priority moves prevent you from ever sweeping. so why exactly should we approve it?

You didn't give Darmanitan enough HP to even make 101 subs, and no its not important.

I strongly suggest that you spend some time playing on the UU ladder on either simulator, lurking on the forums, and checking out several C&C threads to get a better understanding of BW UU. Also, keep in mind that your format still isn't up to par (you don't need an Other Options, and your paragraphs are thin).

EDIT: Taking back my rejection for now
  3. Zanotto

Zanotto

I already pointed out this set should be used after scouting priorities, etc, thats why i mentioned it should be used at the right time.

i understand scarf set has more imediate power, i used scarf much more often than this set... cause this set i just had it in mind... and it has more sweeping capability than the scarf one.

It is true i dont play so often after 2nd or 3rd gen.. but tried this set and worked perfect with Whimmiscot on 13 or 14 matches of 15 i tried.

Obviously its gimmick, and i think u were a bit rigorous. And thin lines? i pointed everything important about this set, whatelse should i write?
  4. Mazz

Mazz Retired
    is a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

QC Denied 1/3

This is another example of a gimmick set that may seem to work on paper, but it's god awful in practice. Being nearly impossible to safely set up, this Darmanitan set isn't viable enough to be considered "good" enough to be put on site. Sure, it may have some good surprise factor and the ability to OHKO the entire tier (depending on the move you chose), but even at +1 Speed, it's still outsped by many common Pokemon, specifically Scarf Flygon, Scarf Raikou, Scarf Mienshao, and can only tie things like Scarf Heracross and opposing Scarf Darmanitan. Good effort, but as PK Gaming said, try laddering a bit more on the UU ladder to get a feel for what really works and what doesn't.
  5. kokoloko

kokoloko &McMeghan: chef koko seasoning his games with some salt
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

Lol it's funny because I've actually used BD Darmanitan in the past... It was for some monotype tournament but still. It wasn't nearly as hard to pull off as you'd think. Mainly because Darmanitan excels at forcing switches, so you almost always get a free Drum off. The thing is, I used it with Endure and Salac Berry, not Substitute. If you BD on the switch you can either kill anything slower (making it a great lure for Slowbro and Rhyperior) or activate your Salac Berry at will. Endure also blocks random Fake Outs, which is nice.

I'm actually going to do some testing on it, so I'd like to hold off on rejections for now.
  6. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere Congregation of the Classiest
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Maybe an OO mention on the analysis, but I don't think this is worthy of being a legitimate set.
  7. Rohail

Rohail Vaporeon <3
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

While the QC members are testing the set, you may want to get rid of unnecessary sections in your Analysis Skeleton. Click here to see how the analysis should look.
  8. kokoloko

kokoloko &McMeghan: chef koko seasoning his games with some salt
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

he died

i might write this one myself later but for now its going in the bin

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)