1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Darmanitan Discussion

Discussion in 'UnderUsed' started by LightningLuxray, Mar 11, 2014.

1. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

[​IMG]

Darmanitan
    - Fire-type Pokemon
    Stats: 105 HP / 140 Atk / 55 Def / 20 SpA / 55 SpDef / 95 Spe
    Ability: Sheer Force: This Pokemon's attacks with secondary effects do 1.3x damage; nullifies the effects.
    Hidden Ability: Zen Mode: If this Pokemon is Darmanitan, it changes to Zen Mode whenever it is below half HP.

Introduction:

Darmanitan is an extremely powerful Fire-type Pokemon. With 140 Base Attack and access to Sheer Force, Darmanitan has access to one of the most powerful Flare Blitz in the entire game. Sheer Force is a great ability which boosts the power of Darmanitan's secondary-effect moves to absolutely absurd levels, and makes him and extremely powerful physical attacker. Darmanitan's high HP stat also allows it to better absorb the recoil damage of Flare Blitz. Combine this with great coverage moves such as Superpower, Earthquake, and Rock Slide, as well as the momentum-gaining U-Turn, and you have one of the best Scarf/Life Orb users in the tier. Darmanitan's downsides come with its absolute terrible bulk and Stealth Rock weakness. However, with proper support, Darminatan can definitely do major damage to the opposing team.

Notable Moves:

Flare Blitz
    U-Turn
    Rock Slide
    Superpower
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch
    Hammer Arm
    Brick Break
    Stone Edge

Potential Sets:

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Rock Slide
    - Superpower

With Darmanitan's sky-high attack, access to Sheer Force and U-Turn, and Base 95 Speed, Choice Scarf and Life Orb are both very effective items on Darmanitan. Flare Blitz is Darmanitan's main STAB, and it allows him to basically OHKO any offensive Pokemon that doesn't resist Fire. U-Turn is another very important move to this set, as it allows Darmanitan to scout and gain momentum for his team. Rock Slide and Superpower are the main coverage moves. The former hits opposing Fire-type, such as Chandelure and Victini hard, while the latter allows hit Rock-type Pokemon as well as some specific threats, such as Thick Fat Snorlax.
    Darmanitan really appreciates Defog or Rapid Spin support, as they allow him to continually switch in to Stealth Rock. Mega Blastoise, Starmie, Mew, Empoleon, Tentacruel, Donphan, and Crobat can all help remove hazard for Darmanitan. Darmanitan also appreciates Pokemon who can pair in an effective VoltTurn core with it. Jirachi, Hydregon, Mienshao, Magnezone, Mega Manetric, and Noivern all have access to either U-Turn or Volt Switch and can effectively pair with Darmanitan. Pokemon who can switch into Ground- and Rock-type moves, such as Hippowdon and Chesnaught also pair well with Darmanitan. Pokemon such as Celebi, Roserade, and Shaymin can also absorb Water-type moves for this set. Finally

Darmanitan @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly / Adamant
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-Turn
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake / Superpower

This set is very similar to the first, with the moves being almost exactly identical. Flare Blitz is once again the STAB move of choice, though this time with the added Life Orb boost. U-Turn can be used the same way it was on the Scarf set, as it's still great for gaining momentum and for scouting. Rock Slide is once again used to hit Fire-type Pokemon. However, the last move is a toss-up. Earthquake is the more reliable Rock-type hitting STAB, as since Darmanitan can now switch moves, it doesn't have to be worried about being locked in to Earthquake. Superpower, however, is a more powerful option that can also hit Pokemon such as Snorlax for super-effective damage
    Teammates are also very similar on this set. Once again, Stealth Rock removing Pokemon such as Mega Blastoise, Starmie, Mew, Empoleon, Tentacruel, Donphan, and Crobat can eliminate hazards from the field, giving Darmanitan more longevity. Bulky Grass-types, such as the previously mentioned Roserade, Celebi, and Shaymin can help absorb Water-type attacks. Roserade can also support Darmanitan with Spikes, making him an even better wallbreaker. Wish support is especially helpful on this set, as Life Orb, Flare Blitz, and hazard damage can definitely rack up quickly. Good users of this move are Vaporeon, Florges, and Umbreon. Sticky Web users such as Galvantula and Smeargle also allow this set to spam its attacks more freely, as it isn't outsped by faster offensive threats. Finally, a Choice Scarf user can work well in tandem with Darmanitan. Choice Scarf Mienshao, Jirachi, and Hydregon can all work well to keep momentum up on your side of the field.

While the difference between Life Orb and Choice Scarf may not seem big, it plays a big role on how you play with Darmanitan. Choice Scarf serves as a revenge killer, as it outspeeds many of the tiers fastest Pokemon. Life Orb, on the other hand, is usually used to do as much damage to the opponent as possible. If you haven't revealed Life Orb to your opponent yet, the Life Orb set can actually bluff a Choice Scarf very well, so take advantage of this! (You will reveal your Life Orb when using U-Turn, however, so don't try to bluff after using this move!)

Other Options:

Choice Band

Anyways, this is my first discussion thread, so sorry if it's bad. Anyways, happy posting :D
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. midend

midend

Your potential set has listed zen mode in place of sheer force

EDIT:
    Also, reviled -> revealed

'As the would allow' ->as he doesn't like to switch into stealth rock

'While the latter allows hit' -> while the latter has good neutral coverage and nails a number of rock pokemon for decent damage. (Snorlax, walreinohgodwhy takes massive damage)

Also mention that life orb variant needs to beware of u-turn and superpower revealing the set, along with switching up moves, as many darm users like to spam u-turn early-game to scout the enemy moveset and ev spreads, taking recoil damage in the process
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. EonX

EonX Rise Above
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Life Orb needs to be its own set. It plays a lot more differently than Choice Scarf. As you mentioned, Life Orb variant is more of a wallbreaker while Scarf is a revenge killer. Choice Band is overkill imo and doesn't deserve a mention since Life Orb grants more than enough power without the restriction of only using one move. Also mention that Roserade can set Spikes to make Darmanitan that much more devestating. Life Orb set should look a bit like this:

Darmanitan @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly / Adamant
    - Flare Blitz
    - Rock Slide
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake / Superpower

Moves are simple enough to understand. EQ over Superpower since this Darmanitan can switch moves, thus allowing it to sometimes stay in after blasting an opposing Rock-type. Jolly gets priority over Adamant to outpace all non-Scarf variants of Heracross. Adamant is usable if Hera isn't a big concern for your team as the power boost is stupid good. Late-game cleaners are good with this set. Moxie users such as Salamence, Heracross, and Krookodile are nice choices. Raikou, Roserade, and Celebi are solid partners to beat up on bulky Water-types. Speaking of, Vaporeon is nice for Wish support to give Darmanitan multiple chances to maul opposing teams. Defog or Rapid Spin from Empoleon, M-Blastoise, or Starmie is advised too.
    midend likes this.
  4. totoTavros

totoTavros

I assume that when you noted when you noted to use 0 IVs in Attack, that we should just ignore it? Otherwise, he's great, but I would recommend the Choice Scarf more than the Life Orb, as I would prefer to know what the enemy has up their sleeves. I actually use a Darmanitan in conjunction with my Mienshao, as they tend just to U-turn out either into each other, while providing momentum/scouting counters, or into my teammates.
  5. midend

midend

I think he was using a special attacker before he ported it lelelelel
  6. totoTavros

totoTavros

Maybe that's why it's zen mode?
  7. midend

midend

How will it abuse the 4 moves then
  8. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer

Wow. That's really embarrassing. I definitely need to double-check my sets before posting. :X Sorry my thread had to start out looking so terrible, and I've made the changes, so hopefully this thread won't suck anymore.

I understand why this warrants a new set. However, I new I was most likely going be writing almost the same description for teammates, so I lazily combined the two sets. The second set has been added, as well as the bit about Roserade.

Also, I only mentioned Choice Band in the OO because a lot of players seem to run this set. I definitely agree that Pokemon such as Victini and Entei do Choice Band much better, though I think I'll keep it OO, as it is definitely an option that a lot of players take advantage of.

Anyways, thanks everyone for all the help. I'm sorry if this looks really rough, this is my first time trying to make one of these threads, and I think this has mainly taught me to double-check my work (0 Atk IV's lol). Thanks for all the help, and I hope there can still continue to be discussion! :)
  9. Yellow Cheese

Yellow Cheese

One of the best Best Partners to darmanitan is Gatrodon, as it resists Rock, is immune to water and laughs at most unboosted ground attacks. Darmanitan also patches up its grass weakness (despite the terrible defenses of Darm)
  10. mikelos

mikelos

anyone have a good zen mode set
  11. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer

A Zen Mode set is basically impossible to pull off. Firstly, getting Darmanitan to 50% health is basically impossible since it's so utterly frail. Not only that, but even if you do manage to make it Zen Mode, it still has a terrible base 55 Speed that leaves it revenge killed extremely easily. Victini and even Delphox do the whole Fire/Psychic thing so much better, I'd definitely go with one of them instead of trying to get Darmanitan into Zen Mode.
    PicardsFlute likes this.
  12. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

On paper you can pull off a Zen Mode set through the use of Belly Drum, which allows Darmanitan to hit hard from both attacking sides while fulfilling the requirement for Zen Mode. The main issue with zenmode is that Darmanitan's offenses are so amusingly lopsided that without Belly Drum your movepool is useless half the time anyway.

Then again, you don't really have a lot of 'bulk' left to abuse Zen Mode as one of the requirements for ZM is 50% hp, meaning that effectively speaking you're basically a glorified Shuckle.

Also, Zen Mode activates only at the end of the turn iinw, so you still need to take one more hit in your frail standard form as you BD... often enough for you to die.
  13. Yellow Cheese

Yellow Cheese

I guess the best way to pull it off is if you switch a darmanitan into rocks twice under trick room or somwthing simular
  14. mikelos

mikelos

or sub a few times
  15. Sergeant Spooky

Sergeant Spooky

-switch into rocks on something you check
    -sub
    -do... something in zen mode? What are you going to do lol just use Chandelure
  16. Rein-San

Rein-San

Or Victini...

...Or Delphox
  17. Sergeant Spooky

Sergeant Spooky

I don't like Victini as a special attacker and I've never used Delphox. The point is zen mode is pointless and probably the dumbest ability in the game.
  18. Yellow Cheese

Yellow Cheese

Ever heard of Slow start or Normalize?
  19. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer

At least Normalize lets walls Toxic Steel-types and Thunder Wave Ground-types...

But yeah, there are definitely worse abilities than Zen Mode.
  20. PicardsFlute

PicardsFlute

He said dumbest, not worst, which I agree with. Clearly the pure downsides like Klutz, Slow Start, Defeatist, and Truant are worse, but they often serve to balance Pokemon with ridiculous BSTs, which make for some interesting mons. Zen Mode is an interesting idea, but is executed so poorly.
  21. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer

Klutz is actually a decent ability when paired with Swithceroo or Trick, as you don't have to feel the affects of any crap item you want to Trick onto the opponent. But yeah I think we can all agree Zen Mode just isn't viable what-so-ever, and is a serious gimmick.
  22. NotBruceWayne

NotBruceWayne

With Galvantula and Smeargle dropping, Sticky Web just got a lot easier to set. One doesn't have to rely on Shuckle anymore. The CB set just got a bit easier to use. 95 Base Speed isn't bad at all and with Sticky Web, Darm can spam Flare Blitz and watch everyone die, provided that it's checks and counters are gone or weakened of course.
  23. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer

Cool, I'll make mention of it on the LO set. :)
  24. Sergeant Spooky

Sergeant Spooky

Abilities like Truant and Defeatist are given to stuff with good stats because Gamefreak has a weird sense of humor. They're not dumb, they're just intentionally awful. Normalize isn't 100% terrible since it allows Delcatty to paralyze ground types (not much else it can actually accomplish.)

Zen Mode is not only pointless, but it's not intentionally bad I think. Z mode has alright stats, it's just that the way you get into Z mode makes it so that it can't actually accomplish anything. It's just a flavor ability that no one uses, but at first glance it's not as blatantly awful as Regigigas' Slow Start.
    Yellow Cheese likes this.
  25. mikelos

mikelos

the old seribi set used sub the reach zen mode

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)