Deck Help: Miasma Wind Leafeon

Cassie

giant claw
While I know Leafeon is definitely not top tier, it's really fun to play with so I was wandering if anyone had suggestions to better it. My deck list is pretty outdated since I haven't touched the deck since the end of February.

The TSS aren't as consistent as I'd like them to be, and I'd honestly like to replace the Pokemon Collectors. I have too much Supporter draw, so I know I need to change that around. They definitely need to be changed A LOT, I stopped using it back in February so it has a ton of flaws. I'm not sure where to begin so wherever you want to start is fine with me. I'd honestly prefer Dual Ball/Ultra Ball I just don't know how I should go about fitting it in.

Pokemon (21)
4 Eevee (UD 48)
3 Leafeon (CL 13)
1 Espeon (UD 81)
4 Foongus (ND 8)
4 Amoonguss (ND 9)
2 Houndour (UD 53)
2 Houndoom (UD 82)
1 Shaymin-EX (ND 5)

TSS (31)
4 Junk Arm (TR 87)
4 Professor Juniper (BW 101)
3 Level Ball (ND 89)
3 Seeker (TR 88)
2 Professor Oak's New Theory (HGSS 101)
2 Pokemon Collector (HGSS 97)
2 Pokemon Catcher (EP 95)
2 Pokemon Communication (BW 99)
2 Super Scoop Up (UL 83)
1 Switch (HGSS 102)
1 Super Rod (NV 95)
1 Energy Search (BW 93)
1 Pokegear 3.0 (HGSS 96)
1 Cheren (EP 91)
1 N (NV 101)
1 Flower Shop Lady (UD 74)

Energy (8)
8 Grass Energy (HGSS 115)

If those of you who don't know what this deck does, Leafeon is the main attacker. Miasma Wind requires one Colorless energy so by turn 2 I should be firing off 100-150 Miasma Winds. Espeon is in there for Mewtwo EX, doing a whopping 300 if I put down an Amoonguss and the burn flip was in my favor. Amoonguss and Houndoom are in there for their abilities of course, allowing me to abuse Miasma Wind. Shaymin EX was one of the last things I added before I stopped playing with the deck; the deck lost steam towards mid-late game so I needed something that could help when I was down Prizes. The TSS is just a mess of things, it really needs fixed. I kinda want to run Twins in there somewhere. This deck doesn't need much energy at all, but I added the Energy Search just for when I'm unlucky. Anyway, I'm open to any and all suggestions!

I haven't tried something like this since leafeon-roserade-houndoom; I like this version better. Like you said, not top tier, but playable and fun.

Personally I'd stick with the Collectors --- since you want your bench mostly full all the time, you want ways to get basics as quickly as possible. Admittedly, Call for Family Eevee and Find a Friend Foongus both help with this --- Foongus can even find evolutions, maybe. If you want to go ball engine, you can get everything except Houndoom, Espeon Prime, and Shaymin EX with level ball, so I'd run 3-4 dual 3-4 level two ultra probably. Here's a stab at a trainer engine, not perfect by any means:

Trainers: 17
4 Junk Arm
3 Level Ball
3 Dual Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Switch
2 Catcher
1 Super Rod

Supporters and trainers that get supporters: 15
2 Pokegear/Random Receiver
4 PONT
4 N
2 Sage's/Juniper
3 Seeker

I put in two switches because, while you will not often have your opponent catcher you and not score the KO, getting stuck with Houndoom active is pretty awful; you could argue that they aren't necessary. Same with Catcher --- usually you just want to take a KO, any KO, for six turns but sometimes there will be an obviously better thing to take, or you'll miss the Houndoom flips and want to pull up something with only 100 or less HP. I took out Energy Search because personally I wouldn't play it, but having it in there isn't crazy; I would just prefer all of the other cards to it.

Your initial list had a bunch of alternate cards that did more or less the same thing --- Pokemon search cards (which you identified), SSU and Seeker, Flower Shop Lady and Super Rod. In those cases I personally prefer to just pick one and stick with it; I think you prefer Seeker because you want the guaranteed pickup, and Super Rod because you don't want to use a Supporter for the turn and your Pokemon lines are thick enough that you shouldn't need FSL-level recovery. I'd probably run Pokegear so that you can pick Seeker when you need it and not pick it when you don't. I'm not sure I'd run Twins, to be honest, but you could go 4 PONT 3 N 3 Twins or something similar?

Some things to consider:

• Rescue Energy, so you can stream Leafeons more easily; you only need one colorless, after all!
  • Energy Retrieval, so you can get energy back from the discard directly to hand when you need it right away
  • If you run twins, potentially Energy Switch, so you can drop Shaymin EX and an energy and then energy switch onto it and immediately start swinging
  • A 3-3 Amoonguss line might be sufficient, which would give you a little more space to play with
Hope this is a helpful place to start!

Cassie

giant claw
Thanks for the help! Collectors are worthwhile I guess, but I've never found myself using them past the first few turns, and even then I didn't always use them. Using the ball engine just seems more like my style. 2 Switches sounds reasonable, playing slower decks usually ends up with me getting catchered into an Amoonguss or Houndoom. I've never really had to use Catchers unless I'm unlucky and don't get set up as quickly as I'd like, or like you said, didn't get the burn flip so I miss out on the KO. I'll probably go for 2 Super Rods to get Leafeons/Eevees/Foongus/Amoonguss back into my deck to keep it flowing; I remember having problems with not having anymore Eevees (usually due to them being prized) but I just couldn't get the Super Rod, I think that's one of the reasons why I added so many different variations of Pokemon/Energy retrieval. I hate using Juniper, but it makes this deck run the most smoothly because it's so fast. I'll probably stick with that over Sage; I'd probably go with 3 over 2 just for the higher chance of pulling one early. PONT and N sound good with me, I can always fix that later if I feel like I have too many.

I definitely agree on the Energy Retrieval thing, especially since I'll be using Ultra Balls. I know I used to run Rescue Energy, not sure why I ever took them out. 2 was usually good enough for me. Twins is more for the situations where I'm slower, so I think I'd only need 1-2; Energy Switch seems like a neat addition to it, I'll definitely try that out. As for the 3-3 line, I'm not totally sure since I'm basically Amoonguss dependent, and I tend to be unlucky with drawing those. I'll revise the list as I test some of the suggestions.

I loved my Leafeon, but the big problem was just not being able to KO the 130 HP big basics :\

This concept really needs to be revisited once Bright Look Ninetales is out.

I know my problem with my original list was that Houndoom just wasn't very good... My bench got full really easily and Houndoom sat there wasting space and whiffing on conditions when I needed them, so I chose to drop it entirely for the sake of consistency. I like the Shaymin EX.

I think one of the big problems with Leafeon is that they can Switch out of status, which hurts any chance you had. Without Houndoom, Leafeon also caps at 110 which can be underwhelming. But I've had an idea on how to revisit this list for a while now.

The deck would run Vileplume for Trainer Lock, and a Kingdra Prime line (2-2-2 at the thickest). Take the fact that Leafeon fails to 1HKO most of the time and instead use that to your advantage to set up a lock. You could even run Mew to provide additional Leafeons essentially (4-4 Leafeon, 4 Mew). That way, despite not being able to recover Leafeons through Super Rod or something similar, you can still bring out 6 in a game easily (and also have a built-in counter to Mewtwo EX) The idea being that you use Kingdra to manipulate damage and Leafeon + status to hurt opponent's and take them down as it comes back to your turn. Kingdra can also provide splash 60 damage, which isn't terrible. You can also use Pichu and Cleffa to help set up and stall thanks to Trainer Lock.

The question becomes who inflicts your statuses. For this build I'd go Roserade, because she'll be protected and you can Seeker to pick up your Roserade with Rainbow energy. Once Blend Energy is in print, provided Roserade hasn't rotated you shouldn't have a problem getting consistent dual statuses. Amoonguss' biggest problem is how much space it takes up on your bench when you whiff on picking it up :| Roserade luckily only requires 1 bench slot to function, making it a great play for a Trainer Lock build.

Cassie

giant claw
I've noticed when I play most fast basic decks like zeel and CMT I stand little to no chance.

I agree on what you're saying on the inconsistency, I've only ever used the deck in fun matches so I rarely played top tier stuff. If I can't set up immediately, I'm usually struggling to keep up the rest of the game. I've never thought about using Mew or Vileplume in this deck, I may try a variation of this when I have time. I'm not sure if you've tested it yet or not, but if you have how much success has it gotten?

I had actually planned on a Lilligant/Roserade deck when first going about making a Grass deck, my only problem was with getting Roserade set up fast enough. I guess Vileplume would help with here, but seeing this deck get set up seems pretty complicated, especially since I have no idea what TSS you run. I assume it runs a heavier search engine with all the Pokemon and more energies, but I'll find out when I look at it more closely. If I end up making my own version of this deck, I'll add it to the OP as a second deck seeing as it's so different from my current one.

I've never tested that idea. It's what I'd look at if I were to go back to leafeon and try and make it as competitive as possible. The nice thing about Roserade > Amoonguss when trainer lock is up, is that you can use the same Roserade multiple times with just a few Rainbow Energies. But Amoonguss is a one-time use every time you evolve it, so Seeker becomes less effective. (For every amoonguss you seeker up, you get 1 more status inflict, for every roserade you seeker up, you get X number of status inflicts where X is the number of rainbow E on Roserade).

The deck could also tech Sunflora for easy search. And finally, Pichu and Cleffa will be your friends in both setting up quickly (Pichu) and once you have Trainer Lock up, shuffling back and finishing your setup (Cleffa). The deck would probably operate under the Twins engine. You'd also only really use Mew to See Off when your opponent will die in between turns anyways. Luckily, you can also use energy lines of 4 Prism, 4 Rainbow 2 Psychic 2 Grass or something, since Leafeon's cost is colourless. Still, it'll be nice to be able to Soothing Scent sometimes, so grass energy is a good thing.

Lastly, I had this idea recently for how to not mess around with Kingdra and save space in the deck. You could just use Tyrogue to finish off their Pokemon. Then it's a 50% chance of taking a prize and not giving one up. Not too shabby most of the time.

Lilligant is actually pretty good, you should try it out. It will probably not be viable anymore with Dark Explorers though. A rough skeleton (I didn't even count the cards)

4-4 Lilligant (use Stun Spore Petilil)
2 Victini
3-1-2 Vileplume
1-1 or 2-2 Sunflora
1 Cleffa
1 Pichu
1 Mewtwo EX
1 Shaymin EX

4 Collector
4 Twins
4 PONT
4 N
1 Elm's Training Method

3 Communication
3 Rare Candy

11 Grass (if not Mewtwo EX), or some DCEs if you do run Mewtwo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)