Dedicated Tournament Server - SPL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, my Smogon username is an already taken alt on PS,of course lol...i already saw that my alteralt Kyrosss is in the granted users so i just wrote this to confirm my identity so yeah..yay

I know I'm not the only user who is bothered by this, or I wouldn't bring it up; sorry for being unfun and all especially seeing as I'm not playing, but I'd like to raise the issue of spectators speculating turn-by-turn on the game. Specifically, surprise sets, strats, moves, telling the players what to do. It can actually give away shit that the player may not have thought of as a possibility, and a lot of people have been using unique and unpredictable sets this week. Some people are imo skirting the line between joking and ghosting in the chat as well. At the very least it's extremely annoying and I wish people would refrain from it, even if we can't make it a guideline.

Thoughts?

I think the time we had modchat % or ★ (players and drivers+ only ones allowed to talk), the games were a lot nicer. Plus the replays are way easier to read without unruliness and 10203520359 people whining for timer on every turn. Also, it's easy to lock one spammy individual, but ten people talking can contribute way more noise than that without being unreasonable by themselves. I know I've chatted a lot in the battles and find it fun personally and I kinda think it'd be a shame to have to get rid of the chat, but you're right in that there is #spl and, moreover, there's also the lobby, which on most screens will be placed to the side of the battle and nobody should be bothered by that being full of chat as long as it's not otherwise objectionable shit.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
why not just set auto-ignore spectators as a hard default for the players. This way nothing is ruined for the 2 people playing, and people can have all the shittalking. this very ideally mimics any real spectator sport.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I know I'm not the only user who is bothered by this, or I wouldn't bring it up; sorry for being unfun and all especially seeing as I'm not playing, but I'd like to raise the issue of spectators speculating turn-by-turn on the game. Specifically, surprise sets, strats, moves, telling the players what to do. It can actually give away shit that the player may not have thought of as a possibility, and a lot of people have been using unique and unpredictable sets this week. Some people are imo skirting the line between joking and ghosting in the chat as well. At the very least it's extremely annoying and I wish people would refrain from it, even if we can't make it a guideline.

Thoughts?
The point of the server is that we could infract users who do such things (telling players what do/directly influentiating the battles, being dicks in general, etc). But sadly moderators are not taking any kind of action and instead all they're doing is mute everyone, which is not the way to go.

SPL is mainly a spectator tourney, imo, and it should stay as so. Just remove the cancerious users, infract them on forums, remove their voice on the server, but don't stop everyone from having a nice conversation in the chat :]

The point of the server is that we could infract users who do such things (telling players what do/directly influentiating the battles, being dicks in general, etc). But sadly moderators are not taking any kind of action and instead all they're doing is mute everyone, which is not the way to go.

SPL is mainly a spectator tourney, imo, and it should stay as so. Just remove the cancerious users, infract them on forums, remove their voice on the server, but don't stop everyone from having a nice conversation in the chat :]
Allowing ten people to talk in a match (even if they're not trolling/ghosting) exacerbates the problem of some SPL matches taking too long, partly because the talking is distracting to some players, and also because the talking forces the players to waste more time scrolling through the log if they need to reference a previous turn or if they wish to copy the log into a text editor to quickly count PP without having to use Ctrl+F.

Enforcing modchat in the matches would not make the matches any less fun for the live spectators, who need only move their cursor to the chat box several centimeters to the right to comment on the match. As jumpluff pointed out, the replays would also be (much) easier to read through for those who don't watch the matches live.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Allowing ten people to talk in a match (even if they're not trolling/ghosting) exacerbates the problem of some SPL matches taking too long, partly because the talking is distracting to some players, and also because the talking forces the players to waste more time scrolling through the log if they need to reference a previous turn or if they wish to copy the log into a text editor to quickly count PP without having to use Ctrl+F.

Enforcing modchat in the matches would not make the matches any less fun for the live spectators, who need only move their cursor to the chat box several centimeters to the right to comment on the match. As jumpluff pointed out, the replays would also be (much) easier to read through for those who don't watch the matches live.
Moot point, players can ignore expectators in battles, theres an option for that, they can't ignore the spectators talking shit in the Lobby, though, which is your suggestion ?_? And does anyone really read the logs in replays? You can tell 100% whats going just by looking at the screen.

They can easily ignore the lobby spectators--they just need to leave the lobby. As for replays, some people may want to review their/others' matches and find mistakes; rewinding the replays to a previous turn takes much longer than simply scrolling through the log manually.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Mine's OiawesomeDG, I know I'm irrelevant as fuck when it comes to tours on the forums but I'll give being interested in tours a shot I guess

edit: I know how promos work so I'm assuming you guys can promo me on the serv if I just leave my account on over work days and nights so just look for OiawesomeDG on the serv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)