Deerling [QC 0/3]

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: -- / -- / --
Final QC: --
GP: -- / --

Overview
########

+ 2 great abilities to abuse, Chlorophyll and Sap Sipper.
+ With Chlorophyll, can reach an insane 36 speed under Sun.
+ Great attack
+ Concise, effective movepool
- 6 weaknesses, including Fire, Fighting, and Flying, all common
- Struggles against physical walls
- Very frail

Chlorophyll Sweeper
########
name: Chlorophyll Sweeper
move 1: Return
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Jump Kick
move 4: Work Up / Wild Charge
ability: Chlorophyll
item: Life Orb
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• STAB Return is quite powerful, OHKOing Meditite.
• Seed Bomb is the other STAB, and is super effective on Rock-types who resist Return.
• Jump Kick OHKOs Berry Juice Munchlax, who would stop this set with Fire Punch; it also hits Steels hard.
• Work Up is Deerling's only physical boosting move, and a +1 Deerling OHKOs or 2HKOs many other notable Pokemon, such as Vullaby.
• Wild Charge guarantees an OHKO on Fletchling after Rocks; Fletchling would otherwise KO with priority Acrobatics. It also lets Deerling get past Vullaby with some prediction.

Set Details
========

• EVs and Chlorophyll enable it to reach 34 Speed in Sun, letting it outspeed and OHKO +2 Carvanha.
• EVs maximize Speed and Attack, with 1 extra point of HP and Def
• Life Orb gives it enough power to get crucial KOs, such as Jump Kick on Munchlax.

Usage Tips
========

• Bring it in on anything lacking a super-effective or crippling move.
• Begin your sweep.
• Be careful when using Jump Kick, as Ghosts can switch in, causing you to lose half of your health.

Team Options
========

• Sun makes this set function; Vulpix is almost a required partner
• As Ghost-types are immune to half of this set's attacks, a way to defeat them, such as Pursuit trapping, is appreciated.
• Deerling is somewhat weak, so Knock Off users are appreciated, as they can remove Eviolites.
• Pawniard can perform both of the above tasks, but compounds weaknesses to (Sun-boosted) Fire and Fighting attacks.
• Slow VoltTurn users can also help get Deerling in safely.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Return
move 2: Seed Bomb
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Jump Kick
ability: Sap Sipper
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Return is very powerful, OHKOing Meditite.
• Seed Bomb is the other STAB, and is super effective on Rock-types who resist Return.
• Wild Charge hits Flying-types, such as Fletchling.
• Jump Kick OHKOs Berry Juice Munchlax, who would stop this set with Fire Punch; it also hits Steels hard.

Set Details
========

• With a Choice Scarf, it reaches 25 Speed, allowing it to outspeed most common scarfers.
• EVs maximize Speed and Attack, with 1 extra point of HP and Defense.

Usage Tips
========

• Switch into a suspected Grass-type attack, like if your opponent sends a Chespin in on your Chinchou.
• Gain the attack boost, putting you at +1/+1.
• Attack, trying to hit as much of their team at least neutrally as possible.
• You'll usually have only 1 shot to get the Attack boost, so it is best to use this later in the game.
• Be very careful when using Jump Kick, as Ghosts can switch in, causing you to lose half of your health. Do not be locked into it while your opponent has a Ghost-type.

Team Options
========

• Deerling is somewhat weak, so Knock Off users are appreciated, as they can remove Eviolites.
• Slow VoltTurn users also help get Deerling in safely.
• A Grass-weak Pokemon, like Goldeen, whose Lightningrod ability makes it only weak to Grass, which Deerling can switch into with Sap Sipper.

Other Options
########

• Double-Edge's MOAR POWARRR is not generally needed, but is an option, especially on the Choice Scarf set.
• SubSeed or support sets are possible, but done better by Cottonee, Foongus, and so on.
• A Baton Pass set with Agility and possibly Work Up is possible, but mostly outclassed by Torchic.
• Thunder Wave and Synthesis could be used on a support/defensive set.
• Toxic to hit unsuspecting walls, like Spritzee, on the switch-in.
• Synthesis could be used on the Chlorophyll set, as it rejuvenates 2/3 of your HP in the sun.
• GrassWhistle, but its accuracy is so bad that it's generally not worth it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ghosts**: They are immune to Return, Deerling's most powerful attack, as well as Jump Kick; Phantump and Pumpkaboo also resist Seed Bomb and Wild Charge, and many ghosts can burn Deerling.

**Physical Walls**: Koffing and Spritzee aren't 2HKOd by anything, and can stall it out.

**Flame Body**: Pokemon with Flame Body can burn Deerling, stopping it cold. Larvesta gets a special mention for quad-resisting grass, resisting Jump Kick, and having recovery in Morning Sun, which is boosted by sun to 75%!

**Dwebble**: Can switch in, get back to full health, and attack with X-Scissor for a guaranted OHKO.

**Snover**: Changes the weather, resists Seed Bomb, outspeeds and OHKOs with Blizzard, but must watch out for Jump Kick on the switch-in.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-set
-You put HP fire on the set, but only talk about HP ice... i guess you were meaning to slash both?
-advising the opponent to switch in on slowpoke is dumb, thunder wave cripples it and many slowpoke carry ice beam/fire blast
-Maybe voltturn users in team options, to get it in safely.
-knock off users in team options - mienfoo, gligar etc, really help deerling out since it isn't that powerful.

-OO
-Thunder Wave
-toxic can annoy bulky walls that wall it
-Wild Charge, hits random flyers
-Choice Scarf (or maybe even a set itself, Sap Sipper+choice scarf can get you to +1,+1 with some decent prediction)
-aromatherapy (bulky support set is best left to other grass types though
-synthesis maybe???

-c&c
-Timburr, Gunk both have SE priority, and aren't OHKOd
-fake out + bullet punch from LO meditite KOs (so frail)
-gale wings fletchling
-snover
-defensive Mienfoo can survive a hit and use U-turn (can't switch into LO return though
-intimidate Scraggy nvm, return+jump kick still KO it
-intimidate growlithe
-larvesta has flame body and ohkos with u-turn but is 2hkod by return.
-basically anything that it can't ohko can easily revenge cos its so frail

"Set name: Choice Scarf
Item: Life Orb"
Somehow that doesn't seem right. Also you should confirm that Return on the scarf set does still OHKO Meditite.

Expulso

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
"Set name: Choice Scarf
Item: Life Orb"
Somehow that doesn't seem right. Also you should confirm that Return on the scarf set does still OHKO Meditite.
Oops, heh. Yeah, that should be a Scarf, and the set was changed to reflect it. Thanks!

252+ Atk Life Orb Deerling Return vs. 0 HP / 92 Def Fletchling: 19-23 (90.4 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Deerling Return vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 9-13 (34.6 - 50%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Wild Charge seems pretty unnecessary. Why don't you put Work Up in that last slot? The attack boost seem like it would be pretty useful.

Expulso

Yeah, Work Up seems like a good option. Or GrassWhistle, but 55% accuracy is awful. (80.75% chance to hit in two tries).

C&C consolidated! I'd appreciate some more things to add.

I feel like Double Edge has some merit on the Choice Scarf set, since the extra damage it provides can be crucial in specific situations. On the Scarf set, Return doesn't OHKO Meditite, although it comes close

196+ Atk Deerling Return vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Meditite: 15-18 (78.9 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Deerling Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Meditite: 16-19 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Double Edge could be slashed in with Wild Charge since STAB Normal/Grass + Jump Kick is hitting nearly everything almost as hard, if not harder than Wild Charge. The main things you'd miss out on without Wild Charge are Drifloon and Mantyke. I can't think of any notable OHKOs/2HKOs Double Edge provides at the moment, but the extra 10% or so you can get from Double Edge can potentially save you in a match.

For C&C, Pumpkaboo and Phantump resist/are immune to every move Deerling carries, and can burn Deerling with Will-o-Wisp.

Expulso

I feel like Double Edge has some merit on the Choice Scarf set, since the extra damage it provides can be crucial in specific situations. On the Scarf set, Return doesn't OHKO Meditite, although it comes close

196+ Atk Deerling Return vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Meditite: 15-18 (78.9 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Deerling Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 76 Def Meditite: 16-19 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Double Edge could be slashed in with Wild Charge since STAB Normal/Grass + Jump Kick is hitting nearly everything almost as hard, if not harder than Wild Charge. The main things you'd miss out on without Wild Charge are Drifloon and Mantyke. I can't think of any notable OHKOs/2HKOs Double Edge provides at the moment, but the extra 10% or so you can get from Double Edge can potentially save you in a match.

For C&C, Pumpkaboo and Phantump resist/are immune to every move Deerling carries, and can burn Deerling with Will-o-Wisp.
Is it really notable to use Double-Edge over Return for the 1/16 chance to OHKO? However, some hazard support could remedy that; it'll go into Other Options, as a +1 Return cleanly OHKOs already.

Am adding those two ghosts in; thanks!

EDIT: LOL look how dumb I am
Toxic to hit unsuspecting walls, like Foongus.

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Checks and Counters - Since they're common as hell, you should mention common Fighting-types. Deerling can't OHKO any of them, but they can all Drain Punch and OHKO back, even if Deerling does out speed them.

Team Options - Since Deerling can't put out that much damage, entry hazards seem optimal. I don't know. You've got nothing to lose by writing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)