Gen 3 Defense = Best Offense! - RMT pls.

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 20 HP / 232 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar opens to introduce a permanent Sandstorm, which helps the process of wearing down my opponents.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 172 Def / 104 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Of course, many stall teams contain Blissey.

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish

Salamence is here to offer some moar stall by having its moveset being based off Wish.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 136 Atk / 108 Def / 28 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Ice Beam
- Reflect

Claydol throws down Reflect - to protect my pokemon and to make the stalling easier whilst taking less damage. Of course, Claydol can get rid of potential threat by using Explosion whenever's necessary.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 208 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

With Steelix's amazing defense, he can offer himself as a wall, just taking in waves of attacks before he faints. In addition, Steelix possess a move of Toxic, making my opponent's more uncomfortable.

Dusclops (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
- Rest
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk

Lastly but not least, Dusclops. He's a staller and he has Shadow Ball, which gets rid of ghost-type pokemon.

Yeah, I've just downloaded Netbattle and hope to play competitively. I've been looking at examples and I hope I pulled off building this team pretty well [although I may surprise myself, idk].

The strategy of this team? Relying on defensive tactics to win.

Any thoughts?

Yeah. I don't have D/P in my Netbattle [although if there's a link to download the D/P pokemon and movesets, please let me know!]. If this were D/P, I would use the evolution form of Dusclops and a few different items/movesets.

I think ttar over Salamence would be better...go max hp on sttelix impish he only needs ~200 Sdef put explosion or rock slide over sandstorm...you could go wish bliss...236HP/136Atk/108Def/28 Sp.Def relaxed claydol with ice beam over sandstorm...136 evs in defense rest in attack snorlax...Toxic
/Seismic Toss/Pain Split/Shadow Ball on dusclops 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef Impish... Boah Weak, and Suicune kinda owns you if you put tyranitar in like you should medicham owns you...
Zapdos is the only thing I can think of that can reasonably deal with these threats...

Then where else would Sandstorm go - which, imo, should be mained on at least 1 or 2 pokemon when running a stall-type team - if I took those Sandstorm from Steelix and Claydol? I think Sandstorm and Toxic, along with stall pokemon seems like a pretty good combination. But I agree about taking 1 Sandstorm from 1 pokemon; having 1 Sandstorm on a pokemon is enough.

I thought about Shadow Ball on Dusclops. And, I'm realizing that I'm lacking an electric-type move on a pokemon. I also realize that I'd not want to face Medicham, so I'll probably add in some other pokemon to replace Salamence.

Lastly, I wouldn't want to have so many rock/steel/ground types in my team, as I so far have 2 - Steelix and Claydol.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Sandstorm
- Toxic

Get rid of Sandstorm for Rest. Give Steelix an Impish nature instead of Brave. You aren't using special attacks, so there's no point to lower your Speed, and Impish boosts that already high Defense to even more insane levels.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 132 SAtk / 120 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Lose the Special Defense for either max Special Attack or some HP. Blissey doesn't need any SDef to take on special attackers.

EVs: 48 HP / 252 Def / 208 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide
- Wish

You're trying a very strange brand of mixed sweeper. The general Wish Salamence moveset is Wish, Protect, Toxic, Flamethrower. You stall with Wish and Protect as Toxic harms them, and Protect allows you to Wish, and then heal the turn you protect. For that, I recommend the following EVs:

EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 40 Spd / 108 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Atk / 8 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Reflect
- Sandstorm

Once again, drop Sandstorm for another move. Ice Beam is the most common, as it helps against Salamence, and, right now, your team has big Salamence troubles.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 92 HP / 248 Def / 164 SDef
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I'd drop Sleep Talk for Curse, as it allows Snorlax to sweep late game. Consider Return or Double-Edge over Body Slam, so Paralysis doesn't get in the way of your other status.

Dusclops (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Pain Split
- Seismic Toss
- Taunt
- Toxic

I don't like Taunt on Dusclops, because it's so slow that the only thing it will successfully Taunt is Roar and Whirlwind. Dusclops isn't statting up, so that really doesn't matter to it. I recommend Shadow Ball to hit Ghosts and Starmie and the like. I also prefer Will-O-Wisp over Toxic, as anything can Toxic, but not many things can Will-O-Wisp. Alternately, you can use Rest and Sleep Talk over status and Pain Split, since you already have two Pokemon with Toxic, so you don't want conflicting status.
Blissey and Snorlax both serve the same role: special wall. You should drop one of them for Tyranitar. This will give you permanent Sandstorm, so you don't need to waste moveslots for it.

- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
Tyranitar opens to introduce a permanent Sandstorm, which helps the process of wearing down my opponents.

While Tyranitar is a decent lead in Advance, that moveset is not very good in general; this isn't DP. CBtar (hp bug/eq/rs/fp) or sub/tbolt/crunch/fp could work well.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Def / 132 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
Of course, many stall teams contain Blissey.

Blissey could use more HP (maybe 232 EVs)

EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 40 Spd / 108 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish
Salamence is here to offer some moar stall by having its moveset being based off Wish.

alright, but i prefer bold with max hp/def/6 satk

Claydol @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
Claydol throws down Reflect - to protect my pokemon and to make the stalling easier whilst taking less damage. Of course, Claydol can get rid of potential threat by using Explosion whenever's necessary.

jolly is not a good nature for claydol; try sassy or relaxed.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
With Steelix's amazing defense, he can offer himself as a wall, just taking in waves of attacks before he faints. In addition, Steelix possess a move of Toxic, making my opponent's more uncomfortable.

alright

Dusclops (M) @ Leftovers
- Pain Split
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
Lastly but not least, Dusclops. He's a staller and he has Shadow Ball, which gets rid of ghost-type pokemon.

will o wisp is a better status move for dusclops to use; use that instead of toxic. i suggest a resttalking set to help with status more.

Yeah, I've just downloaded Netbattle and hope to play competitively. I've been looking at examples and I hope I pulled off building this team pretty well [although I may surprise myself, idk].

The strategy of this team? Relying on defensive tactics to win.

Any thoughts?

Ah, thanks. I'm now convinced about using a Resttalking set on Dusclops. lol. I'm going to test that out, and see what happens.

- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide
I think you should move those defense evs into atk and give ttar a choice band...

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 172 Def / 104 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Put some hp evs into Def, Blissey always needs max def...

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish

Standard...

Claydol @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
I think you should consider putting rapid spin on this, because your team gets spiked on pretty easily and if the have a Suicune it's going to mess you up badly...

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
Max hp, and I generally like explosion over rest but I guess you dont want to blow up your physical wall on a stall team...

Dusclops (M) @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk

Standard

Suicune owns this team seeing as this is basically the stall team,so I suggest you put zapdos over salamence, will help with Boah too especially if you give it light screen...

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I reason I suggested those EVs for Salamence is that it puts you at 270 Speed, one above Adamant Heracross. Seeing as how Steelix and Dusclops can hardly touch it (and can't touch it at all if it has Rest / Talk, really), it's important to have the Speed advantage, I'd say.

Max out Steelix and Claydol's HP at the cost of the defenses, and max out Blissey's Defense at the cost of HP.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
This team definitely needs a psuedo-hazer. Snorlax and Suicune will inevitably ruin this team with ease. The team itself cries out for spikes, which is the sort of indirect offense a stall team needs to be effective.

IMO, I would not start the battle with Tyranitar. Tyranitar being your only offense, I think it's best saved for later on in the game when the addition of sandstorm will be more devastating. Tyranitar's sandstorm will hinder salamence and dusclops' performance early on. (Just noting, performance in the late game is even more important and if you hold back Tyranitar until it's absolutely necessary it will be able to win games by surprise.) If you follow my advice and save Tyranitar for later in the game, DDTar is most effective.

This is just my take on how a "stall team" with Tyranitar should be played. If you REALLY want first-turn sandstorm, then go for it. =\

TBH, what's the point of Claydol if you're not Rapid Spinning and what's the point of Dusclops if you're not Spiking? Don't you think you might have a -little- problem with a Cloyster, as unthreathening as that sounds? It can pretty much kill anything one on one, much less should you have to switch onto it. The only thing that pretty much can handle it's own against said Cloyster is Blissey, who risks getting blown up on. I'd like to see Claydol replaced tbh. With Salamence flying to get rid of EQ, and Steelix's massive 4x rock resist, you pretty much covered with Claydol does if it's not Rapid Spinning. Or, you could run like a Reflect Forretress over Steelix, giving you the same defense esentially, but now you can still replace Claydol.

Tyranitar, Blissey, Salamence, Forretress, Dusclops, slight Blaziken weakness, but you don't have a water type! Let's add in Suicune. You get to run the ever useful Cunespikes, have a back up last poke sweeper if you must, get even more defense, and have a water poke!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)