Defensive Mega Latias (OU)

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

QC: AM / Leftiez / aim
GP: NixHex / The Dutch Plumberjack​

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Roar / Reflect Type
move 3: Recover
move 4: Dragon Pulse
item: Latiasite
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunder Wave is an amazing utility move, allowing Latias to cripple its common switch-ins and counters, such as Mega Metagross and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and letting your team handle these threats more easily. Roar is a good option when a team allows it, allowing Latias to phaze bulky setup Pokemon such as Clefable and to rack up entry hazard damage. Reflect Type allows Latias to take on Bisharp, Mega Metagross, and Tyranitar, allowing it to either check or switch out safely from these former threats. Recover allows Latias to shrug off powerful attacks from threats such as Landorus, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, and many more. Dragon Pulse gives the very passive Mega Latias as many free turns as possible, chipping away at threats and taking out Pokemon that can't outdamage Latias. Psywave can be used over Dragon Pulse, hitting Heatran, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross for more damage but sacrificing the ability to hit Dark-types and get consistent damage, as Psywave randomly damages the opponent from x0.5 to x1.5 the user's level. Defog can also be used on Latias, as it is a very durable Pokemon that will be able to use it consistently. Ice Beam can also be used instead of Dragon Pulse, allowing Latias to counter Swords Dance Gliscor and get more damage on Landorus, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Thunderbolt can be run alongside Ice Beam, giving Latias the ability to hit Skarmory, Azumarill, and Talonflame, as well as doing more damage to Steel-types than Dragon Pulse or Ice Beam.

Set Details
========

The given EVs allow Mega Latias to outpace positive-natured Garchomp, Landorus, and all base 100s. This is especially important with Landorus, as the ability to recover off the damage taken before getting hit by a second attack makes Mega Latias a very hard counter. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense, maximizing bulk. A spread of 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe with a Bold Nature allows Latias to outspeed Adamant Excadrill and gives it an incredible amount of physical bulk. Latiasite is needed on Latias due to the increase in bulk, making Mega Latias far more durable than a regular Latias.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Mega Latias's great bulk and good typing, it hard counters some of the best special attackers in the tier, namely Landorus and Keldeo. Mega Latias, however, will always struggle with certain Dark-, Steel-, and Fairy-types and should be played around them intelligently. Pursuit is a big threat to Mega Latias, so Pursuit users should be played around cautiously. If you opt not to run Roar, setup sweepers that shrug off Thunder Wave become large threats and should be played around cautiously. Latias can also be used to lure Pokemon like Tyranitar and Metagross and cripple them with Thunder Wave, thereby supporting its teammates.

Team Options
========

Spikes-stacking Pokemon such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are great teammates to Mega Latias, allowing common Dark- and Steel-types to get worn down more quickly as well as racking up entry hazard damage with Roar. Physically defensive Pokemon such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Garchomp are consistent switch-ins to Latias's common counters. Similarly, Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Chesnaught are solid counters to Tyranitar and Bisharp, two of Latias's most common switch-ins. Psychic-types, such as Reuniclus and Slowbro, also pair well with Mega Latias, as a paralyzed Tyranitar will have a harder time forcing these Pokemon out. Bulky Fairy-types such as Clefable and Togekiss greatly appreciate the Thunder Wave support from Latias, as former counters such as Mega Metagross and Jirachi struggle to handle them after the paralysis-induced Speed drop.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Ice Beam is great and viable because it makes Mega Latias a complete counter to the famous SD knock off eq roost gliscor, and is also nice in case Landorus-I is calm mind, as well as making it a better check to Nasty Plot Thundurus. It's just a decent move that works a ton on the meta, so add that :D

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd mention or slash Defog since MLatias's bulk, SR neutrality and immunity to Spikes makes it a pretty solid and consistent hazard remover.
Maybe mention Whirlpool too, it's pretty gimmicky but when combined with Reflect Type it enables MLatias to lure and dispose of Heatran, TTar, non-SD Bisharp and to some extent MMetagross (as long as Meteor Mash doesn't get the Attack boost).

Also, small nitpick, but you forgot to mention Diancie in Fairies that aren't crippled by Thunder Wave.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
>people seriously mentioning ice beam, psywave, and whirlpool on latias

What IS this set.

Kidding aside, I tried it out in a few matches, and it's pretty cool. I find Ice Beam generally a lot more useful on this set than Dragon Pulse for reasons similar to Cresselia, so at worst it should get a slash. I would also mention that you can another attack or support move instead of Thunder Wave if paralysis support isn't your cup of tea because it's sorta useless against defensive teams iirc

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Pokemon that appreciate a paralyzed Mega Metagross, one of the more common things to get lured by TWave.
Might as well include Heatran in this sentence as well.

QC 1/3

I'd suggest to put Thunderbolt in moves section, it's optional but it allows Latias to hit Azumarill / Skarmory / Talonflame and prevent them from having free turns in addition to hit steel better (Bisharp , Metagross etc..)

You should mention psychic and fairy types as teammate since they have great offensive synergy with latias such as Reuniclus, it used to be really comon these days since Latias can twave Gross / Tyranitar / Scizor / Bisharp and allows reuniclus from outspeeding them. Same for Gardevoir since it has Will O Wisp to fuck jirachi / Scizor / Metagross and also Alakazam (Hidden Power Fire).

Gengar can also be a great teammate for the same reasons listed above, great offensive synergy, it can bait steel and pursuiter then Will O Wisp.

2/3 after that.

Last edited:
With Reflect Type, i don't feel like it helps in all situations against pursuit trappers imo.

My reason is how for instance, with Bisharp, if you reflect type, and you don't swith, you risk a brick break/Low Kick.( And honestly, do they normally carry fighting coverage, cause I can't remember).
But, with the other moves, you could run thunderbolt over it, like Leftiez said, but that is my take on that.
My example was probably not happen, but that was an example, so you never know.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
With Reflect Type, i don't feel like it helps in all situations against pursuit trappers imo.

My reason is how for instance, with Bisharp, if you reflect type, and you don't swith, you risk a brick break/Low Kick.( And honestly, do they normally carry fighting coverage, cause I can't remember).
But, with the other moves, you could run thunderbolt over it, like Leftiez said, but that is my take on that.
My example was probably not happen, but that was an example, so you never know.
Brick Break is bad and Low Kick is so rare it didn't get its own mention on the usage stats (it's probably under "other" on all three usage listings, which never broke 20%).

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Defensive
########

Moves
========

Thunder Wave is an amazing utility move, allowing Latias to cripple its common switch-ins and counters, such as Mega Metagross and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, easing Latias' time and allowing teammates an easier time around these paralyzed threatsletting your team handle these threats more easily. Roar is a good thing to tack on Latias when a team allows it, allowing Latias to phase out bulky set up Pokemons, such as Clefable, and to rack up hazard damage on the opponent's Pokemon. Reflect Type allows Latias to take on Bisharp, Mega Metagross, and Tyranitar, allowing Latias toit either to check or switch out safely from these former threats. Recover allows Latias to shrug off powerful attacks from threats such as Landorus-I, Keldeo, Charizard Y and many more. Dragon Pulse allowgives the very passive Mega Latias give as many free turns as possible, chipping away at threats and taking out Pokemon that can't out -damage Latias. Psywave can also be used over Dragon Pulse, hitting Heatran, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross for more damage, but sacrificing the ability to hit Dark -types and get consistent damage, as Psywave randomly damages the opponent equal tofrom x0.5 to x1.5 the user's level. Defog can also be used on Latias, as it is a very durable Pokemon that will be able to use it consistently Defog. Ice Beam can also be used instead of Dragon Pulse, allowing Latias to counter SDwords Dance Gliscor and get more damage on Landorus-I, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Thunderbolt can be run alongside Ice Beam, giving Latias the ability to hit Skarmory, Azumarill, and Talonflame, as well as doing more damage to Steel-types than Dragon Pulse or Ice Beam would.

Set Details
========

The given EV Spreads allows Mega Latias to outpace positive -natured Garchomp, Landorus -I, and all base 100s. This is especially important with Landorus-I, as recovering off the damage taken before getting hit by a second attack eases Latias' time with Landorus, makingmakes it a very hard counter. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense, maximizing bulk. A spread of 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Speed with a Bold Nature allows Latias to outspeed Adamant Excadrill and possesgives her an incredible amount of physical bulk. Latiasite is needed on Latias due to the increase in bulk, making Mega Latias far more durable than a regular Latias.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Mega Latias's great bulk and good typing, it hard counters some of the best special attackers in the tier, namely Landorus-I and Keldeo. Latias, however, will always struggle with certain Dark-, Steel-, and Fairy -types, and should be played around them intelligently. Pursuit is a big threat to Latias, so Pokemon that can have Pursuit-users should be played around cautiously. If you opt to not to run Roar, set up sweepers that shrug off Thunder Waves become large threats and should be played around cautiously. Latias can also be used to lure Pokemon like Tyranitar and Metagross by crippling them with Thunder Wave and easing another Pokemons timesupporting its teammates.

Team Options
========

Spike stacking Pokemon such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn pose asare great teammates to Mega Latias, allowing common Dark- and Steel -types to get worn down fastermore quickly as well as racking up phazingard damage bywith Roaring. Physically Defensive Pokemon such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Garchomp allow you to consistently have safere consistent switch-ins to Latias's common counters. Similarly, Fighting -Types such as Keldeo and Chesnaught allow you to havre solid counters to Tyranitar and Bisharp, two of Latias's most common switch-ins. Psychic types, such as Reuniclus and Slowbro, also pair well with Mega Latias, as a paralyzed Tyranitar will have a harder time forcing these Pokemon out. Bulky Fairy -types, such as Clefable and Gardevoir, greatly appreciate the Thunder Wave support from Latias, as former counters such as Mega Metagross and Jirachi struggle to handle them after the paralysis Speed drop.

C/P:
Defensive
########

Moves
========

Thunder Wave is an amazing utility move, allowing Latias to cripple its common switch-ins and counters, such as Mega Metagross and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, letting your team handle these threats more easily. Roar is good when a team allows it, allowing Latias to phase out bulky set up Pokemon such as Clefable, and to rack up hazard damage. Reflect Type allows Latias to take on Bisharp, Mega Metagross, and Tyranitar, allowing it either to check or switch out safely from these former threats. Recover allows Latias to shrug off powerful attacks from threats such as Landorus-I, Keldeo, Charizard Y and many more. Dragon Pulse gives the very passive Mega Latias as many free turns as possible, chipping away at threats and taking out Pokemon that can't out-damage Latias. Psywave can also be used over Dragon Pulse, hitting Heatran, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross for more damage, but sacrificing the ability to hit Dark-types and get consistent damage, as Psywave randomly damages the opponent from x0.5 to x1.5 the user's level. Defog can also be used on Latias, as it is a very durable Pokemon that will be able to use it consistently. Ice Beam can also be used instead of Dragon Pulse, allowing Latias to counter Swords Dance Gliscor and get more damage on Landorus-I, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Thunderbolt can be run alongside Ice Beam, giving Latias the ability to hit Skarmory, Azumarill, and Talonflame, as well as doing more damage to Steel-types than Dragon Pulse or Ice Beam.

Set Details
========

The given EVs allow Mega Latias to outpace positive-natured Garchomp, Landorus-I, and all base 100s. This is especially important with Landorus-I, as recovering off the damage taken before getting hit by a second attack makes it a very hard counter. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense, maximizing bulk. A spread of 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe with a Bold Nature allows Latias to outspeed Adamant Excadrill and gives her an incredible amount of physical bulk. Latiasite is needed on Latias due to the increase in bulk, making Mega Latias far more durable than a regular Latias.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Mega Latias's great bulk and good typing, it hard counters some of the best special attackers in the tier, namely Landorus-I and Keldeo. Latias, however, will always struggle with certain Dark-, Steel-, and Fairy-types, and should be played around them intelligently. Pursuit is a big threat to Latias, so Pursuit-users should be played around cautiously. If you opt not to run Roar, set up sweepers that shrug off Thunder Wave become large threats and should be played around cautiously. Latias can also be used to lure Pokemon like Tyranitar and Metagross by crippling them with Thunder Wave and supporting its teammates.

Team Options
========

Spike stacking Pokemon such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are great teammates to Mega Latias, allowing common Dark- and Steel-types to get worn down more quickly as well as racking up hazard damage with Roar. Physically Defensive Pokemon such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Garchomp are consistent switch-ins to Latias's common counters. Similarly, Fighting-Types such as Keldeo and Chesnaught are solid counters to Tyranitar and Bisharp, two of Latias's most common switch-ins. Psychic types, such as Reuniclus and Slowbro, also pair well with Mega Latias, as a paralyzed Tyranitar will have a harder time forcing these Pokemon out. Bulky Fairy-types such as Clefable and Gardevoir greatly appreciate the Thunder Wave support from Latias, as former counters such as Mega Metagross and Jirachi struggle to handle them after the paralysis Speed drop.

GP 1/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
Defensive
########
[SET]

Moves
========

Thunder Wave is an amazing utility move, allowing Latias to cripple its common switch-ins and counters, such as Mega Metagross and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and letting your team handle these threats more easily. Roar is a good option (or something like this? not really clear what you mean) when a team allows it, allowing Latias to phase out phaze bulky set up setup Pokemon such as Clefable (RC) and to rack up entry hazard damage. Reflect Type allows Latias to take on Bisharp, Mega Metagross, and Tyranitar, allowing it either to either (or keep 'either' where it is and add 'to' after 'or') check or switch out safely from these former threats. Recover allows Latias to shrug off powerful attacks from threats such as Landorus-I Landorus, Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y, (AC) and many more. Dragon Pulse gives the very passive Mega Latias as many free turns as possible, chipping away at threats and taking out Pokemon that can't out-damage outdamage Latias. Psywave can also be used over Dragon Pulse, hitting Heatran, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross for more damage (RC) but sacrificing the ability to hit Dark-types and get consistent damage, as Psywave randomly damages the opponent from x0.5 to x1.5 the user's level. Defog can also be used on Latias, as it is a very durable Pokemon that will be able to use it consistently. Ice Beam can also be used instead of Dragon Pulse, allowing Latias to counter Swords Dance Gliscor and get more damage on Landorus-I Landorus, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Thunderbolt can be run alongside Ice Beam, giving Latias the ability to hit Skarmory, Azumarill, and Talonflame, as well as doing more damage to Steel-types than Dragon Pulse or Ice Beam.

Set Details
========

The given EVs allow Mega Latias to outpace positive-natured Garchomp, Landorus-I Landorus, and all base 100s. This is especially important with Landorus-I Landorus, as recovering the ability to recover off the damage taken before getting hit by a second attack makes it Mega Latias a very hard counter. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense, maximizing bulk. A spread of 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe with a Bold Nature allows Latias to outspeed Adamant Excadrill and gives her it ('her' is acceptable I guess, but you must be consistent throughout and you seem to prefer 'it') an incredible amount of physical bulk. Latiasite is needed on Latias due to the increase in bulk, making Mega Latias far more durable than a regular Latias.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Mega Latias's great bulk and good typing, it hard counters some of the best special attackers in the tier, namely Landorus-I Landorus and Keldeo. Mega Latias, however, will always struggle with certain Dark-, Steel-, and Fairy-types (RC) and should be played around them intelligently. Pursuit is a big threat to Mega Latias, so Pursuit users (remove hyphen) should be played around cautiously. If you opt not to run Roar, set up setup sweepers that shrug off Thunder Wave become large threats and should be played around cautiously. Mega Latias can also be used to lure Pokemon like Tyranitar and Metagross by crippling and cripple them with Thunder Wave, (AC) and thereby supporting its teammates.

Team Options
========

Spike stacking Spikes-stacking Pokemon such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn are great teammates to Mega Latias, allowing common Dark- and Steel-types to get worn down more quickly as well as racking up entry hazard damage with Roar. Physically defensive Pokemon such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Garchomp are consistent switch-ins to Latias's common counters. Similarly, Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Chesnaught are solid counters to Tyranitar and Bisharp, two of Latias's most common switch-ins. Psychic-types, (add hyphen) such as Reuniclus and Slowbro, also pair well with Mega Latias, as a paralyzed Tyranitar will have a harder time forcing these Pokemon out. Bulky Fairy-types such as Clefable and Togekiss greatly appreciate the Thunder Wave support from Latias, as former counters such as Mega Metagross and Jirachi struggle to handle them after the paralysis-induced Speed drop.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)