1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Defining Bad Users

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by Chou Toshio, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This is a long standing issue facing Inside Scoop and the badging process. I say it's time we finally put together an in-partial, defined measure we can use to make decisions and assessments. This will greatly access the badging/access process.

What exactly makes a bad user (from a badge sense)? What makes a user too bad-- for PR, for badging and other non-ban related issues? In this thread, we will try to make a mathematical system for defining and finding "bad users." After finding a measure for bad userness, we can allocate values at which we would "not-badge", "de-badge," etc. etc.

Pertinent variables:

P= Personal Attacks (outright personal attacks on other members in what should be intelligent discussion)

O= Outbursts (lashing back/out at decisions/information made in discussion/tournaments/etc.)

P + O = F (Flaming)

T = Trolling (specifically looking to insight outbursts on the side of the other party)

C = Contrarian (being a contrary douche-bag just for the sake of being one)

I = Ignores status, and general history / social makeup of the community

M = Must contribute more (degree to which a member's actual contributions are shit)

While M is a little different from the others (since it is a "negative" variable), we can generally measure the others as "# of posts that fall in category X made over time y"

For instance P = 34, would mean 34 posts containing personal attacks made over 1 month.

Next we can use multipliers to adjust to what degree we deem a behavior bad. For instance, C & L are relatively low offense compared to flaming and trolling, which is what made CiM really have to go over the top to get de-badged.

Sample equation:

3T + C + I + M + 5(O + P) = 100 = minimal acceptability = Approximately Old SDS

Of course, I'm not really good at math, so others please jump in to help make a better equation. We'll also need to assign values to varying degrees of "acceptability."
  2. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm disappointed. I was expecting some combination of the abbreviations to spell CIM.
  3. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Fine, fixed
  4. Eo Ut Mortus

Eo Ut Mortus Elodin Smells
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I took the integral of that equation and got this:

r+e+y+s+c+a+r+f+a+c+e = bad user
  5. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

How convenient! I took the anti-log of that equation and got:

p+h+a+t+k+a+v

Furthermore, I believe that this "phatkav" has a 100 in each category.
    "100F + 100T + 100C + 100I + 100M = 100 = minimal acceptability = Forked"
  6. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Eo Ut Mortus...

...is a bad user

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)