Pokémon Delphox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been hoping that Trick could be used with an Assault Vest still on to completely cripple walls, but I guess I was wrong.
Unfortunately, you can only do that with Lopunny's Klutz. Might be viable in some tier, though, and might give Lopunny an OU niche of stopping walls from healing.

I am debating on 2 sets for Delphox. Mine doesn't have a boosting nature sadly, but I love her too much not to use her(was my starter) Her SpA is pretty damn good though, as is her speed.

/Leftovers
Calm Mind
Psyshock
Mystical Fire
Grass Knot

You may be saying, why the hell are you using Mysical Fire? Well. combined with Calm Mind, you become a VERY special Tank. You can halt most special attackers in 1 attack in you already have a Calm mind or 2 under your belt.

/Assault Vest
Future Sight
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
PsyShock
Grass Knot

That is my other set. Assault Vest doesn't stop Future sight, and with her very bulky SpD She becomes a pretty decent Spc wall. Sure you lose the calm mind boost, but in return you get 2 attacks in 1 turn every 3 turns. An attack that isn;t effected by resistances. Perfect for taking down walls.

I assume the same EV spread would be for both. 252 SpA and Speed rest in HP.

Magician seems like a good ability to run alongside someone with Frisk, like Noivern perhaps? You`ll always know what your opponent has, so there`s no way you`re getting a bad item.

Magician seems like a good ability to run alongside someone with Frisk, like Noivern perhaps? You`ll always know what your opponent has, so there`s no way you`re getting a bad item.
Thing about an ability like magician is... neither player can really chose what it steals. All you can do is stack the deck in your favour. Switching in something with an item you WANT Delphox to steal could be horrible. The thing has so much firepower that it could outright destroy whatever you switched in. Choice Band Scizor, Black Sludge Tentacruel, both of these can be utterly DEMOLISHED by Delphox. As it is, MOST things Delphox can steal, it can use. Life Orb, Leftovers, Assault Vest, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, it can use all of these SOMEWHAT well.

The only 'safe' switch-in to countering magician (if you're that worried about it) is a mega.

This thing doesn't need 252 speed evs
All it needs are 240 to outspeed nonmega garchomp since other delhpoxes can't touch you anyway
Which it can't do much to anyway, unless it's been weakened already.

Anyone think that maybe a semi-defensive Delphox set might work pretty well? Mystical Fire hits pretty hard from that special attack stat and is a guaranteed drop. Combine that with Delphox's decent defensive stats (75/75/100 isn't too bad) and Will-o-wisp and it could actually be a semi-decent check. Typing is bad for that sort of thing, but eh. Just a thought.

Something like max speed with timid, max HP and speed. Then Mystical Fire/Psyshock/Will-o-Wisp/Switcheroo.

Last edited:
Hmm. The only set on Delphox I've found to be even remotely effective is a semi bulky Sub Calm-mind set with Mystical Fire and Psyshock. I've tried giving it some other sets, but Delphox has bad coverage and not enough power to muscle through things with offensive sets, and Calm Mind sets without Substitute aren't as effective because they can't stay in for very long due to status (Delphox needs more than one turn to boost for a sweep).

It isn't an end-all set, but Mystical fire has useful synergy with Calm Mind, so you can hit things like Starmie or even Greninja on the switch and actually have a chance of beating them (or at least taking a hit or two) depending on the circumstances. The temporary popularity in the current metagame of things like Sylveon and Goodra make it easier to set up as well.

Also, Blaze is much better than Magician on a Calm Mind set, because it really wants leftovers from the beginning, and Substitute can power up Magical Fire at times. It also loves sticky web support, but then again, what sweeper doesn't?

I'm not really good with calcs, so for that set I was using a generic 128 HP/128 SpA/252 Spe spread with Timid and Blaze. Calm Mind/Substitute/Mystical Fire/Psyshock. I gave it Leftovers. I'm sure there's a more optimized EV spread, but I was just testing.

I don't claim that it's an unstoppable metagame defining set or anything, but I was surprised at its effectiveness compared to every other set I tried on it.

I'm not really good with calcs, so for that set I was using a generic 128 HP/128 SpA/252 Spe spread with Timid and Blaze. Calm Mind/Substitute/Mystical Fire/Psyshock. I gave it Leftovers. I'm sure there's a more optimized EV spread, but I was just testing.

I don't claim that it's an unstoppable metagame defining set or anything, but I was surprised at its effectiveness compared to every other set I tried on it.
I was just interested in trying it out myself. Sounds like at the very least it gives Mystical Fire some use. Was pretty disappointed that Spike Shield and Water Shuriken were so useful while Mystical Fire was... not.

The psychic typing really hinders it. Psychic is shaping up to be one of the worst types this gen thanks to the massive ghost type buffs and the high prevalence of dark type moves. With that said it should carve out a niche in UU as a very strong choice, could even be borderline. It just can't function in OU with the prevalence of bulky water types and ghost/dark types galore. If you want a fire sweeper from this gen, its going to be talonflame. If you want a support special wall, it's still going to be chansey/blissey. If you want a sweeper/support hybrid espeon still has magic bounce, starmie has rapid spin and comes with much more useful abilities...Idk man. If it makes OU it will be an extremely small niche as a support with fire coverage, the speed is just too slow for anything else.

Okay, so testing it out. My favourite set for Delphox is:

124 HP/124 SpAtk/252speed timid
Mystical Fire
Substitute
Will-o-Wisp
Psyshock

Sub is good for blocking status and mystical fire and will-o-wisp are good for crippling enemy attackers. Psyshock gives good coverage and hits most things that aren't steel types. (Which Mystical Fire kills.)

I'm just waiting for the inevitable mevo that will turn it into a superior Mega Gardevoir. Until then, the wizard fox will fight for a team slot against Victini in UU.

Upstart

Copy Cat
I'm just waiting for the inevitable mevo that will turn it into a superior Mega Gardevoir. Until then, the wizard fox will fight for a team slot against Victini in UU.
Unfortunately it has already been confirmed that no gen 6 pokemon will have mega evolutions, at least this gen. Also fighting with Victini is a losing battle. Delphox has to use sets that differentiate her from victini which pretty much means Calm Mind as Victini runs almost every other set better due to superior bulk and powerful coverage moves.

It gets Mythical Fire too. Which sounds really terrible on paper, but you can actually cripple weaken some special sweepers with it from behind a sub.

I honestly can't even see Delphox being UU. A calm mind set is walled by Houndoom, Mega-Houndoom, Umbreon, Victini. Any other set seems outclassed by the loads of fast Psychics in the tier who also learn Flamethrower. Not to mention that, if UU is anything like 5th gen, the many bulky waters and powerful ghosts in the tier will laugh at Delphox. I really just don't know what the fox has going for it.

I honestly can't even see Delphox being UU. A calm mind set is walled by Houndoom, Mega-Houndoom, Umbreon, Victini. Any other set seems outclassed by the loads of fast Psychics in the tier who also learn Flamethrower. Not to mention that, if UU is anything like 5th gen, the many bulky waters and powerful ghosts in the tier will laugh at Delphox. I really just don't know what the fox has going for it.
There is still no UU tier yet (as far as I know). We don't know what's going to be in there, and a pokemon with 140 special attack and 115 speed has definite potential for OU (though due to the way tiering works it probably won't be, might be BL, though). And I've been testing it on Showdown and a Mystical Fire/Substitute set actually works really well. And that's something Victini doesn't get. Besides the higher potential power on it's non-fire special moves, it gets calm mind and mystical fire. Both of which ARE good moves. And really help out your team.

There is still no UU tier yet (as far as I know). We don't know what's going to be in there, and a pokemon with 140 special attack and 115 speed has definite potential for OU (though due to the way tiering works it probably won't be, might be BL, though). And I've been testing it on Showdown and a Mystical Fire/Substitute set actually works really well. And that's something Victini doesn't get. Besides the higher potential power on it's non-fire special moves, it gets calm mind and mystical fire. Both of which ARE good moves. And really help out your team.
Um, those are definitely not Delphox's stats. :(

...unless you meant Mega-Houndoom? Yeah, you probably did. Still, Umbreon is likely not going anywhere.

I was just interested in trying it out myself. Sounds like at the very least it gives Mystical Fire some use. Was pretty disappointed that Spike Shield and Water Shuriken were so useful while Mystical Fire was... not.
If you look at the top of the page here, I had this exact set for my Delphox. Mystical fire plus Calm mind is a great combo, and allows Delphox to survive longer then it normally would. Makes Deplphox into a partial Special Tank.

Um, those are definitely not Delphox's stats. :(

...unless you meant Mega-Houndoom? Yeah, you probably did. Still, Umbreon is likely not going anywhere.
Yeah I meant MegaHoundoom. And Umbreon isn't, but no special attacker can take on Umbreon, that's hardly anything new. It's like saying Aegislash sucks because Skarmory walls it. Well, of course it does.

If you look at the top of the page here, I had this exact set for my Delphox. Mystical fire plus Calm mind is a great combo, and allows Delphox to survive longer then it normally would. Makes Deplphox into a partial Special Tank.
Sorry I missed it. Having tested it out a bit I don't really like Calm Mind on Delphox, no recovery, and it gets walled by A LOT of things. But Sub + Mystical Fire I like. Use your sub to hit something with Mystical Fire then switch out to something that can take the hit. Even with half-investment Mystical Fire does reasonable damage, and the special attack drop is nice.

Yeah I meant MegaHoundoom. And Umbreon isn't, but no special attacker can take on Umbreon, that's hardly anything new. It's like saying Aegislash sucks because Skarmory walls it. Well, of course it does.

Sorry I missed it. Having tested it out a bit I don't really like Calm Mind on Delphox, no recovery, and it gets walled by A LOT of things. But Sub + Mystical Fire I like. Use your sub to hit something with Mystical Fire then switch out to something that can take the hit. Even with half-investment Mystical Fire does reasonable damage, and the special attack drop is nice.
Never thought about Substitute. It's interesting. However, you can have calm mind users without recovery. I mean, Look at Gardevoir. Seems to do pretty well(though she has more SpD)

My other option is FUture sight over Calm Mind. She's fast enough to launch it, and that is guaranteed damage)except on a dark) Might be a good choice.

Right, right... but at some point all the starters are still going to have MEvos. The RS remakes are going to have the mega hoenn starts and your choice of some other gen, and the inevitable Z game will have the new starters.

...mmmmmmaybe. That's just my prediction. Otherwise, Delphox is fun, but a generation or two too late. Would have been pretty sick in Gen 4, but, that's the past and as is Delphox is just overshadowed by things that do her job better. Shouldn't stop you from using her if you REALLY want to, though. I mean, she can put a full stop to Xerneas by stealing its Power Herb and 2HKOing it. That's something I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)