XY OU DeoSharp: The new age of Hyper Offense

Introduction
With a new generation of pokemon comes a new style of team building. I built this near the start of XY to abuse the plethora of defoggers that became prevalent as the metagame developed, and the idea was to combo the best hazard stacker with Bisharp. Although this team never really saw tournament play it gained a lot of popularity with the ladder players. Several people peaked top 10 on both PO and PS with this team. If you laddered XY OU on either server during November-December than you've probably seen this team, which is the main reason it never got to see tournament play. Also, I realize i posted this a little late but now is better than never.

Team Preview

Team Building Process

Standard.Hazard stacker does what it needs to, gets about 2 layers of hazards up each game and prevents defog.

Bisharp to form the DeoSharp core, it's main job is to punish the opponent's defogger and weaken/kill Aegislash to make it easier for Mega Lucario. Can also help break stall by using Knock Off and getting rid of items.

Mega Lucario was the star player of this team and the main sweeper I wanted to utilize. It has the ability to sweep after just one boost as well as having a lot of power without a boost. Mega Lucario really was the staple of this team and the staple of the meta game.

Thundurus, one of the best support mons that can go with Hyper Offense. I decided on the NP/Twave set to threaten teams with strong T-Bolts/HP Ices and paralyze faster pokemon or the opponents scarf user. It's also a decent Talonflame check and Mega Pinsir check.

Every team needs at least one water resist and Mega Zard X check, and I decided Azumarill was the best option. I started with choice banded, but after testing with a friend we decided that Belly Drum would work nicely with the rest of the team.

For my last slot I wanted a good ground type and a solid scarfer that can deal with opposing Thundurus, Garchomp seemed like the best option and became one of my favorite members of the team.

The Squad

Deoxys-D @ Red Card
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

I chose Deo-D as my hazard setter over Deo-S just because I believe that Deo-D can set hazards much more reliably and is able to outspeed all that it needs to all the while having superior bulk. SR/Spikes for obvious reasons and Taunt/Twave to stop defoggers and irritate offense by randomly dragging out a pokemon with Red Card and getting a paralysis on it. Twave also helps with Lati@s trying to defog early game and ensuring at least one hazard gets up. 4 SpD to prevent dying from Genesect Bug Buzz.

Bisharp (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

A new powerhouse in the XY meta, with a buffed move to abuse being Knock Off. Bisharp's main purpose on this squad is to threaten the opposing teams defogger, by coming in and getting a free +2 attack from the -1 Evasion with Defiant. The other purpose it has is to do a lot of damage(Defiant negating King's Shield drop) to Aegislash having a chance to OHKO in order to get rid of Mega Lucario's biggest nuisance. Spamming Knock Off is what this thing does best because losing items is never good for the opponent and can be troublesome to any team. Sucker Punch isn't very reliable priority but its extremely strong and can push opposing teams into a corner if they let you get +2. EVs allow you to outspeed most Rotom-W and most SpDef Heatrans, with the remaining hp for a little bit of bulk.

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon

There's a reason this thing was banned almost unanimously. Probably the best sweeper that was in the meta, able to get +2 with Nasty Plot and do loads of damage to teams. This Lucario has the ability to open up lots of holes in teams as well as sweep late game. This was the MVP of the team many times over and put a ton of pressure on your opponent by just sending it out. EVs are pretty straight forward.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Not only can Thundurus threaten a majority of the meta with its powerful moves and amazing speed tier, it can also paralyze anything faster/scarf users if you want to open up an opportunity for another member of the team. This set is one of my favorites because it can put pressure on opposing teams with a set up and can also slow down any threat on the other side. Again, EVs are straight forward.

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

With new 6th gen breeding mechanics Azumarill is able to use Belly Drum+Aqua Jet, turning it into one of the hardest hitting pokemon in the tier after a Belly Drum. Because of its great typing and above average bulk it actually gets many opportunities to set up. These EVs and nature allowed Azumarill to outspeed minimum speed Rotom-W, which at the time of this team's popularity it was common to see no speed or low investment Rotom-W and allowed for quite a few surprise kills while still being extremely strong at +6. Another viable spread is: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd Adamant Nature. This spread allows you to outspeed Aegislash reliably and has some extra bulk.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

This quickly became my favorite member of the team. Garchomp is an amazing revenge killer and with an Adamant nature can hit very hard and still outspeeds everything it needs to. Not only does it work as a revenge killer, a lot of the time it can last mon sweep after everything has been weakened by hazards and by the rest of the team. Another important part that this Garchomp plays is that it's immune to Thundurus' Twave and can kill after Stealth Rock damage.

Importable

Deoxys-D @ Red Card
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Bisharp (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Huge Power
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Shoutouts :]

PDC - One of the first people I let test this team, and in his hands quickly showed how effective it was.
Joey(aim) - Helped with some edits to the final version of this team and a fren :].
CTC - All hail the based innovator for being based... and an innovator. WOOP
Valentine - Helped out with this RMT and the one who told me to RMT it.
Wepwnemon - (BAN ME PLEASE). :]
Problems - Worst teammate someone could ever have... oops wrong thread.
Marth - Future OST10 trophy holder. Marth>Smogon
ThunderBlunder - Always appreciate the tests ma nigga :].
So many frens :] - Edgar, Hot N Cold, Soulgazer, Pridy, New Breed, CasedVictory fuck ur gay B, Afro Smash, Key, SnowCristal!, chimpact, CrashinBoomBang, gr8astard, Laurel, King, MikeDecIsHere, BLINGAS ♥, Tokyo Tom, Lord Elyis
IDM - My niggas :]
Midnight Squad - FRENS :]]]]]
Classiest - No matter how this season ends I'm happy that i was on the team. Stay Classy~
IF I MISSED YOU LET ME KNOW :]]]]

Last edited:

PROBLEMS

AHEAD OF HIS TIME
I'll start off with the fact I used this team for a period of about a month while testing it on the PO ladder and even PokeBattle. This core was established within a short amount of time as 'Standard Hyper Offense' for the early stages of XY and every other team started to look like this on most ladders (DeoxD, Bisharp, Luc, 3 fillers), with good reason of course as the building and theorymoning going into the build is great you'd pretty much covered everything that you need to and you're not alarmingly weak to anything (bar the occasional rain spam, which isn't common anyway).

All in all its a very strong team that from my point of view marks itself as one of the most dominant teams in the early stages of XY

p.s. Also I'm pretty sure this team popularized Belly Sitrus Azu by itself, smd I'm the best team mate

Last edited:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Awesome team, I definitely used it a lot back in its heyday. I opted for Pursuit > SD on Bisharp because Aeg was pretty annoying to deal with (and I rarely had the chance to set up anyway since stall wasn't too too common when I was playing), but I mean that's just personal preference. Thanks for the shoutout friend!

Valentine

Banned deucer.
EDIT: It looks like a mod came and cleaned up the thread, so this post didn't make much sense.

Anyways JJ, this team is a very good representation of what the metagame was like when Genesect and Mega Lucario were still around. DeoSharp quickly became the most popular offensive core, and it's still used today. Great job on your first RMT, and even though its a bit late, I hope you make archive.

Last edited:
O, this team. I definitely ran into this a few times in one way or another (probably spectating tom or something, but idk), and it was definitely a p.solid team in its time. I believe I ended up stealing it with some minor edits, and it was pretty solid. iirc it was something like:
  • Max Speed Bisharp w/4 Def EVs, b/c I honestly couldn't find anything that minor bulky investment did besides increase hazard damage, and having the ability to pick off other Bisharp more consistently was nice at times
  • Either Pursuit > SD on Bisharp or Dark Pulse > Vacuum Wave on Luke, since giving Aegislash leg room is p.lame when you're playing offense imo. Usually it was the latter, since I'd rather have another booster than priority in this situation, especially with the TWave support, but meh
  • HP Fly > Ice on Thundurus, because I felt the team benefitted more from the coverage v.Mega-Venu and AV Conk more so than it did Landog 'n friends, since most of the team's physical attackers broke through them pretty comfortably anyway. The vulnerability to Hippo was a little lame tho :[
  • Bulkier Azu, mostly since people starting EVing their Rotom-W to outpace Jolly Azu, though I can understand why earlier versions of the team would run max / max.
also confirming that pwn sucks :]

Yep, I certainly fought this team plenty of times. Is very good. Nowdays hp flying is carried on thundurus just for Venusaur. Now that luke is gone I would probably use Aegi or mega pinsir instead. But none of them is as good as lucario was sadly.

If you are looking to make this team useable again. I would suggest latios or lati@s with psyshock to replace lucario so that mega venusaur becomes less of a threat. This team was very difficult for me to take down with a stall team and it seems to have a very strong offensive core. Very good team and I was waiting for someone to post this

Appreciate all the feedback everyone :]
Pursuit would obviously be the better option but in respect to the original team I kept it as SD. Also, as Valentine previously stated back in this teams popularity not many teams had the ability to switch into Bisharp's Knock Offs and Pursuit wasn't very needed back then.
I'd also like to point out that the bulkier Azumarill spread is the better spread, but same as before in respect to the original team I listed the max speed spread as that was the original set I used.

Can't add anything else to the team, but this definitely deserves archives. Team was the epitome of HO, and an absolutely incredible team when it was first made. I'd honestly say it is the best XY team ever made (sorry CTC). At least the most proven... I know you were like #3 on ladder with this team and Joey was #1 at a time. People still use this team to success on the ladder with another mega over Lucario... I think because of this team DeoSharp is as popular as it is now (although it has slightly died down) DeoSharp was HUGE like 2 months ago.

Only question: Did you ever consider running HP Flying on Thundurus over HP Ice, because Mega Venu walls most of this team. I remember it was not too popular though during early XY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)