Doubles Deoxys-Attack

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
Deoxys-A is the definition of a glass cannon. Its frightening base 180 attacking stats coupled with its base 150 Speed make it a real terror to face. It can easily go mixed thanks to its great physical and special coverage options and incredible stats. Deoxys-A puts great offensive pressure on opponents and is really difficult to play around because it hits so hard. Unfortunately, there are drawbacks to using this offensive behemoth. Deoxys-A has the defensive presence of a wet paper towel and almost any attack will do enough damage to OHKO it. Because of this, Deoxys-A typically works best as a lead since it has difficulty switching in. Deoxys-A relies on its Speed stat to strike first so it doesn't have to take hits; if this is compromised by strategies such as Thunder Wave, Trick Room, or Tailwind, Deoxys-A has great difficulty doing anything.

Mixed Attacker
########
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Psycho Boost
move 2: Ice Beam / Knock Off / Extreme Speed
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Detect
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
evs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
nature: Rash / Naive

Moves
========
Psycho Boost is incredibly powerful. A 140 Base Power STAB attack coming off of Deoxys-A's base 180 Special Attack is truly a scary prospect. To put its power into perspective, it can OHKO 252 HP Rotom-W 100% of the time. Ice Beam provides super effective coverage against a lot of common threats like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Thundurus. It also doesn't lower Deoxys-A's Special Attack stat, making it a more reliable attacking option. Knock Off lets Deoxys-A hit Pokemon that resist Psychic-type moves, such as Cresselia and Jirachi, and also removes troublesome items such as a Sitrus Berry or Choice Scarf. Extreme Speed is a good option to pick off weakened threats or other priority users such as Talonflame. It also helps Deoxys-A avoid attacks like Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Superpower gives Deoxys-A a powerful phyical move that can smash through Steel- and Normal-types alike. It also hits Dark-types that are unaffected by Psycho Boost. Given that Deoxys-A has very limited defenses, Detect is key to help it stick around. Obviously Protect works just as well, but Detect is preferred on the off chance your opponent uses Imprison.

Set Details
========
232 Speed EVs let Deoxys-A outspeed base 130 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Gengar. With a boosting nature and 252 Special Attack EVs, Psycho Boost secures an OHKO on 4 HP Landorus-T and can OHKO Mega Charizard Y 75% of the time. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to give Deoxys-A's physical coverage a bit more kick. Since Deoxys-A can't really handle any attacks anyway, a defense-reducing nature is not a problem. A Focus Sash is typically preferred over a Life Orb since it lets Deoxys-A survive a hit that it usually wouldn't so it can attack more than once most of the time. If a Life Orb is used, Deoxys-A gains the ability to OHKO Heatran and 0 HP Kangaskhan with Superpower. With a Rash nature, Psycho Boost is a guaranteed OHKO on maximum HP Kyurem-B as well as maximum HP Politoed. Togekiss loses a minimum of 84% of its HP, and bulky Thundurus is cleanly OHKOed by Ice Beam, so there is no need to lower Deoxys-A's Special Attack by using Psycho Boost. If a Naive nature is used, an EV spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe is best as it gives Deoxys-A the ability to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

Usage Tips
========
Deoxys-A often works in a hit-and-run manner, striking hard with Psycho Boost and then switching into something bulky so it can come back in again later with its Special Attack restored. Deoxys-A can handle many common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop with Ice Beam and Psycho Boost, respectively. Due to its inability to switch into attacks, Deoxys-A typically functions as a lead or revenge killer; as it can only switch onto the field after a teammate has been KOed. Deoxys-A tends to struggle with more defensive teams but can often net multiple KOs against frailer, more offensive teams. Deoxys-A draws in a lot of attacks which can be avoided through the use of Detect. Deoxys-A needs to be kept away from chip damage from things such as sand or hail, as this breaks its Focus Sash. When possible, priority moves such as Fake Out also need to be avoided.

Team Options
========
A fast Fake Out user such as Mega Kangaskhan helps Deoxys-A put even more pressure on the opponent and helps buy it extra turns to keep its Focus Sash intact. Follow Me support from Pokemon such as Togekiss helps Deoxys-A to live and dish out more hits than it would without the support. Terrakion can provide Quick Guard support to stop Fake Out and other such priority moves whilst also putting a lot of offensive pressureon the opposing team. Bisharp dissuades common Fake Out users like Scrafty and Hitmontop from switching in and also deals with Pokemon that resist Psycho Boost, such as Aegislash, with its Dark-type STAB attacks. Though Deoxys-A does not need Thunder Wave support to patch up a limiting Speed stat, it can be useful since lucky rolls with full paralysis can help it stick around longer.

Other Options
########
Rock Slide is a usable spread move that takes out Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame as well as any weakened threats which might be left on the field. Substitute makes Deoxys-A really hard to deal with but is incredibly hard to set up for free due to the way Deoxys-A draws in attacks. Deoxys-A has access to a very fast Taunt and Thunder Wave, which are both valuable support options. Thunder and Thunderbolt can be used to hit Water-types, but Psycho Boost tends to do better damage anyway.

Checks & Counters
########
**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Though very few Pokemon can comfortably come in on all of Deoxys-A's attacks, some can shrug off the damage or switch in against resisted attacks. Tyranitar can switch into Psycho Boost and break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash with sand damage. Pokemon such as Aegislash, Jirachi, and Cresselia can soak up anything Deoxys-A has to offer and KO it in return. Pokemon such as Scizor, Bisharp, and Talonflame can threaten Deoxys-A with priority moves.

**Speed**: Choice Scarf users such as Genesect can often handle Deoxys-A well. Pokemon that have abilities such as Swift Swim or Chlorophyll also perform well against Deoxys-A since it relies on its Speed stat to avoid taking damage. These Pokemon include Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Venusaur.

**Speed Control**: Deoxys-A is weak to every form of speed control. Paralysis support from Pokemon such as Thundurus makes Deoxys-A a sitting duck as it can't use its Speed to strike first. Trick Room means that almost every Pokemon in the metagame will outspeed and KO Deoxys-A with ease. In a similar fashion, Tailwind also allows Pokemon to outspeed and easily KO Deoxys-A.

**Utility Moves**: Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan, Scrafty, and Hitmontop cause huge trouble for Deoxys-A, so the move needs to be avoided through the use of Detect. In a similar vein, Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor, and Hitmontop can all deal big damage to Deoxys-A with Feint, even through Detect.

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview:
-Mention that it just needs the slightest amount of support to cover for its defenses in order to reliably massacre
-Powerful late game cleaner

Set:
I feel that Extreme Speed on Deo-A isn't nearly as useful as its regular attacks simply because you outspeed the hell out of everything anyway. Against opposing priority attackers, ESpeed is not enough; Talonflame is barely just 2HKOd by non-LO ESpeed and Mega K not even, and almost all other priority attackers resist ESpeed (Scizor, Mawile, Bisharp) anyway. I don't mean to say that it's not useful, but I don't think it deserves as much of a slash as the other attacks. I prefer

Superpower / Dark Pulse
Ice Beam / Extreme Speed

For the 2nd and 3rd slots. Superpower is actually really useful; the ability to hit Steel-types, Dark-types, and Normal-type immensely hard without even forsaking your special attacking power is a lot more useful than the other coverage moves. ESpeed slashed after Ice Beam in the 3rd slot because Ice Beam hits Grounds and Dragons and Flyers, which is also really useful but a bit more situational.

Again if you're the kind of person that doesn't really give a fuck about move orderings on sets then take this as a grain of salt.

Also why Detect instead of Protect like does it even matter you should prolly go for Protect for consistency unless there's a difference

Move details:
Superpower hits DARK-TYPES too like Tyranitar boom boom ded

Usage Tips:
-It's a hit and run Pokemon because of the stat drop recoil. Always be prepared to switch it out unless you're planning to clean up with it because -2 SpA -1 Atk -1 Def Deo-A ain't doing shit to nobody

Team Options:
-Anything that can help Deo-A avoid taking hits. This includes TWave, whose parahax will help keep Deo-A from being flicked to death. Also Wide Guard, to shit on people that think they can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Other Options:
-Psychic if you don't want to be forced to switch. You're still pretty powerful.
-Focus Blast as special physical attack but a miss could cost you

Looks pretty good otherwise nice job BLOOD TOTEM

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Knock Off > Dark Pulse

it kills items and doesnt afraid of psycho boost drops. Targets include sitrus berry users like cress and eviolite shits like dusclops, that to quote braverius "sit around clicking buttons" which is annoying. Trust me totem, I am Deo-A pro.

Also psycho boosts one shots lando and garchomp Ice beam doesnt really deserve a slash imo

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Knock Off > Dark Pulse

it kills items and doesnt afraid of psycho boost drops. Targets include sitrus berry users like cress and eviolite shits like dusclops, that to quote braverius "sit around clicking buttons" which is annoying. Trust me totem, I am Deo-A pro.

Also psycho boosts one shots lando and garchomp Ice beam doesnt really deserve a slash imo
Deoxys-A is the only deoxys forme that doesn't learn Knock off, unfortunately.

Never mind. Thanks Icecream

Last edited:

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Doesn't Bisharp deserve a mention as a Check/Counter since if Deoxys-A's sash is broken it KO's with any move and can KO it with Sucker Punch if it tries to kill with Superpower and can trap it with Pursuit? It eats up Extreme Speeds too: 252 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-A Extreme Speed vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 73-86 (26.1 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO.

Though if you managed to wear down Bisharp with something that managed not to just kill it instantly to around 25% Extreme Speed could finish it off. Also you could predict Bisharp's Sucker Punch and Pursuit if your pretty good at epic predicts but at that point your ally can probably just knock out Deoxys-A anyway.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BLOOD TOTEM be sure to get what both Lolk and Arhops said. Dark Pulse can get an OO mention instead. Aegislash can tank a hit p. well and ofc KOs back so add that to Checks + Counters. Just be sure to emphasize that almost any attack can KO or deal heavy damage to Deo-A so you don't need to give a huge amount of examples for c+c purposes. Looks good otherwise.

QC 1/3

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Always put Detect > Protect if it's available :o

Eww why are you slashing anything with Superpower? That move is MAN ditory... Slash Knock Off with Ice Beam and ExtremeSpeed instead IMHO. I don't care about the order, AS LONG AS Ice Beam is first.

Slash Naive with Rash actually... outrunning Scarf Landorus-T and taking it out with Ice Beam is super clutch. Under set details, provide an alternative spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe for the Naive variant.

Mention that Ice Beam is good for saving up Psycho Boost instead of using its nuke STAB on Landorus-T / Shaymin-S / Garchomp.

Add Aegislash to the list of mons that Knock Off lets Deoxys-A hit super effectively.

Add Dark-types to the list of Pokemon boned by Superpower. In fact this is truer than Superpower boning Steel-types, which usually have secondary typing that neutralizes the Fighting-type weakness / can usually tank an unboosted Superpower (ie Heatran).

In your EV description, note that max SpA lets Deoxys-A's Psycho Boost to OHKO 4 SpD Charizard Y 75% of the time.

Note that Life Orb gives Deoxys-A crazy OHKO capabilities. OHKO 4 Def Kangaskhan and standard Heatran with Superpower. Also Life Orb lets it OHKO Sub Kyurem-B (Rash specifically) and max HP Politoed at max health. 4 SpD Charizard Y now dies to Psycho Boost definitively instead of 75% of the time. Deoxys-A even has a chance to one-shot the standard Togekiss with Psycho Boost after Life Orb boost (Rash only), scraping off minimum of 84% health. With Life Orb Deoxys-A no need to waste a Psycho Boost on Thundurus and can take it out with Ice Beam. Ice Beam even OHKOs specially bulky mons like Latios now. Mention these calcs in Set Details to delineate why anyone would want to go Life Orb on Deoxys-A / inform users what Sash cannot do.

Emphasize how good Quick Guard support is for Deoxys-A. Without it, Kangaskhan wrecks Sash variants by double-hitting it with Sucker Punch (although ExtremeSpeed mitigates that, I guess). Also great for Talonbird / Bisharp / Thundurus.

Other Options:

Rock Slide is alright I guess to mention as a spread move, Psycho Boost already OHKOs Charizard Y most of the time (unless Naive).

Remove max Speed and Knock Off, since it's already mentioned in the set.

Remove Psychic and Focus Blast, those are dumb.

Add Taunt and Stealth Rock as decent support options on Deoxys-A.

Checks and Counters:

You should mention bulky Psychic-types in general, notably Cresselia and Jirachi.

You can also note how opponent's Tailwind also puts Deoxys-A in checkmate position.

Scizor and Pinsir are note-worthy due to their strong Feint that can break past Deoxys-A's Detect or Quick Guard support

QC Approved (2/3)

Last edited:

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Done =]
Guess I gotta write this up now :>

Edit @ bellow: will sort this one when I write it up

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
BLOOD TOTEM said:
Togekiss will be OHKOd 84% of the time
You heard me wrong :x I said that Psycho Boost inflicts min. damage of 84% to the standard Togekiss - it only has 6.25% chance to actually OHKO Togekiss (which is still damn impressive imo)

Last edited:
Knock Off > Extremespeed

List Specific Swift Swim and Chlorophyll users in C&C

You mention KOing Rotom-W in moves and in set details and it stuck out, being repetitive as i read this. I would take out one of them.

Togekiss loses, at minimum, 84% of its HP and bulky Thundurus-I is cleanly OHKOd by Ice Beam so there is no need to waste Psycho Boost on it
I would emphasize that "wasting" Psycho Boost = creating the spa drop and forcing the switch.

With a Rash nature, you are guaranteed an OHKO on Substitute Kyurem-B as well as max HP Politoed.
specify with which moves deoxys uses.

In usage tips, I would talk about how it usually leads. If it is used midgame or lategame, it cant afford switching into any attacks so you would need to sacrifice a Poke to get it in safely.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ADD
REMOVE
Capitalization
(COMMENTS)

Overview
########
Deoxys-A is the definition of glass cannon. Its frightening base 180 / 180 attacking stats coupled with its base 150 Speed makes it a real terror to face. It can easily go mixed thanks to its great coverage options on both the physical and special side and,(RC) incredible stats. Deoxys-A puts great offensive pressure on opponents and is really difficult to play around since because it hits so hard. Unfortunately, there are drawbacks to using this offensive behemoth. Deoxys-A has the defensive presence of a wet paper towel and almost any attack will do enough damage to OHKO Deoxys-A. Because of this,(AC) Deoxys-A typically works best as a lead or cleaning up late game since it has difficulty switching in. Deoxys-A relies on its Speed stat to strike first so it doesn't have to take hits; if this is compromised by strategies such as Thunder Wave, Trick Room,(AC) or Tailwind, Deoxys-A has great difficulty doing anything.

Mixed Attacker
########
move 2: Ice Beam / Knock Off / Extreme(AddSpace)Speed (Extreme Speed is two words now)
evs: 20 Atk / 252 SAtk / 236 Spe

Moves
========
Psycho Boost is incredibly powerful. The 140(AddSpace)Base Power STAB attack coming off of Deoxys-A's base 180 Special Attack is truly a scary prospect. To put it'(-Apos.)s power into perspective, it can OHKO 252 HP Rotom-W 100% of the time. Ice Beam provides super effective coverage against a lot of common threats like Landorus-T, Garchomp,(AC) and Thundurus-I. It is the best option when you want to avoid dropping your Special Attack to save Psycho Boost for a specific threat. It also doesn't lower Deoxys-A's Special Attack stat, making it a more reliable attacking option. Knock Off lets Deoxys-A hit Pokemon that resist Psychic-type moves,(AC) such as Cresselia and Jirachi,(AC) and also removes troublesome items such as a Sitrus Berry or Choice Scarf. Extreme(AddSpace)Speed is a good option to pick off weakened threats or other priority users such as Talonflame. It also helps Deoxys-A avoid attacks like Bisharp'(+Apos)s Sucker Punch. Superpower gives Deoxys-A a powerful phyical move that can smash through Steel- and Normal-types alike. It also hits Dark-types which are unaffected by Psycho Boost. Given that Deoxys-A has very limited defenses, Detect is key to help it stick around. Obviously Protect works just as well,(AC) but Detect is preferred on the off chance your opponent uses Imprison.

Set Details
========
232 Speed EVs lets Deoxys-A outspeed base 130 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Gengar. With a boosting nature and 252 Special Attack EVs,(AC) Psycho Boost secures an OHKO on 4 HP Landorrus-T and can OHKO Mega Charizard Y 75% of the time. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to give Deoxys-A'(+Apos)s physical coverage a bit more kick. Since Deoxys-A can't really handle any attacks anyway, a defense-(+Hyphen)reducing nature is not a problem. A Focus Sash its typically preferred over a Life Orb since it lets Deoxys-A survive a hit which it usually wouldn't so it can attack more than once most of the time. If a Life Orb is used, you gain the ability to OHKO Heatran and 0 HP Kangaskhan with Superpower. With a Rash nature, Psycho Boost is a guaranteed OHKO on max HP Kyurem-B as well as max HP Politoed. Togekiss loses, at minimum, 84% of its HP and bulky Thundurus-I is cleanly OHKOd by Ice Beam,(AC) so there is no need to drop lower Deoxys-A's your Special Attack by using Psycho Boost. If a Naive nature is used, an EV spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe is best since as it has the ability to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T.(+Period)

Usage Tips
========
Deoxys-A often works in a hit-(+Hyph)and-(+Hyph)run manner, strikinge hard with Psycho Boost and then switching into something bulky so Deoxys it can come back in again later with its Special Attack restored. Deoxys-A can handle many common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop with Ice Beam and Psycho Boost,(AC) respectively. Due to its inability to switch into attacks, Deoxys-A typically functions as a lead or revenge killer as since it can only switch get onto the field after a teammate has been KOd. Deoxys-A tends to struggle with more defensive teams but can often net multiple KOs against frailer, more offensive teams. Deoxys-A draws in a lot of attacks which can be avoided through the use of Detect Protect. Deoxys-A needs to be kept away from chip damage from things such as sand or hail,(AC) as it breaks its Focus Sash. Whenre possible, priority moves such as Fake Out also need to be avoided.

Team Options
========
A fast Fake Out user such as Mega Kangaskhan helps Deoxys-A put even more pressure on the opponent and helps buy it extra turns to keep its Focus Sash intact. Follow Me support from Pokemon such as Togekiss helps Deoxys-A to live and dish out more hits than it would without the redirecting move support. Terrakion can provide Quick Guard support to stop Fake Out and other such priority moves whilest also putting a lot of offensive pressure onto the opposing team. Bisharp dissuades common Fake Out users like Scrafty and Hitmontop from switching in and also deals with Pokemon that resist Psycho Boost, such as Aegislash, with it'(-Apos)s Dark-type STAB attacks. Whilst Though Deoxys-A does not need Thunder Wave support to patch up a limiting Speed stat, it can be useful since lucky rolls with full paralysis can help it stick around longer.

Other Options
########
Rock Slide is a usable spread move which takes out Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame as well as any weakened threats which might be left on the field. Substitute makes Deoxys-A really hard to deal with but is incredibly hard to set up for free due to the way Deoxys-A draws in attacks. Deoxys-A has access to a very fast Taunt and Thunder Wave which are both valuable support options. Thunder and Thunderbolt can be used to hit Water-types but Psycho Boost tends to do better damage anyway.

Checks & Counters
########
**Offensive Typing Advantage**:(+Colon) Whilst Though very few Pokemon can comfortably come in on all of Deoxys-A'(+Apos)s attacks, some can shrug off the damage or switch in against resisted attacks. Tyranitar can switch into Psycho Boost and break Deoxys-A'(+Apos)s Focus Sash with sand damage. Pokemon such as Aegislash, Jirachi,(AC) and Cresselia can soak up anything Deoxys-A has to offer and KO it in return. Pokemon such as Scizor, Bisharp,(AC) and Talonflame can threaten Deoxys-A with priority moves.

**Speed**:(+Colon) Pokemon such as Genesect that utilize a Choice Scarf can often handle Deoxys-A well. Pokemon that have abilities such as Swift Swim or Chlorophyll also perform well against Deoxys-A since it relies on its Speed stat to avoid taking damage. These Pokemon include Kingdra, Ludicolo,(AC) and Venusaur.

**Speed Control**:(+Colon) Deoxys-A is weak to every form of speed control going. Paralysis support from Pokemon such as Thundurus-I makes Deoxys-A a sitting duck as it can't use its Speed to strike first. Trick Room means that almost every Pokemon in the metagame will outspeed and KO Deoxys-A with ease. In a similar fashion, Tailwind also allows Pokemon to outspeed and easily KO Deoxys-A.

**Utility Moves**:(+Colon) Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan, Scrafty,(AC) and Hitmontop cause huge trouble for Deoxys-A,(AC) so the move needs so it need to be avoided through the useage of Protect Detect. In a similar vein, Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor,(AC) and Hitmontop can all deal big damage to Deoxys-A with Feint, even through Protect Detect.

BLOOD TOTEM :]

GP 1/2

Last edited:
Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########
Deoxys-A is the definition of a glass cannon. Its frightening base 180 attacking stats coupled with its base 150 Speed make it a real terror to face. It can easily go mixed thanks to its great physical and special coverage options on both the physical and special side and incredible stats. Deoxys-A puts great offensive pressure on opponents and is really difficult to play around because it hits so hard. Unfortunately, there are drawbacks to using this offensive behemoth. Deoxys-A has the defensive presence of a wet paper towel, (add comma) and almost any attack will do enough damage to OHKO Deoxys-A it. Because of this, Deoxys-A typically works best as a lead since it has difficulty switching in. Deoxys-A relies on its Speed stat to strike first so it doesn't have to take hits; if this is compromised by strategies such as Thunder Wave, Trick Room, or Tailwind, Deoxys-A has great difficulty doing anything.

Mixed Attacker
########
move 2: Ice Beam / Knock Off / Extreme Speed
evs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe

Moves
========
Psycho Boost is incredibly powerful. The A 140 Base Power STAB attack coming off of Deoxys-A's base 180 Special Attack is truly a scary prospect. To put its power into perspective, it can OHKO 252 HP Rotom-W 100% of the time. Ice Beam provides super effective coverage against a lot of common threats like Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Thundurus. It also doesn't lower Deoxys-A's Special Attack stat, making it a more reliable attacking option. Knock Off lets Deoxys-A hit Pokemon that resist Psychic-type moves, such as Cresselia and Jirachi, and also removes troublesome items such as a Sitrus Berry or Choice Scarf. Extreme Speed is a good option to pick off weakened threats or other priority users such as Talonflame. It also helps Deoxys-A avoid attacks like Bisharp's Sucker Punch. Superpower gives Deoxys-A a powerful phyical move that can smash through Steel- and Normal-types alike. It also hits Dark-types which that are unaffected by Psycho Boost. Given that Deoxys-A has very limited defenses, Detect is key to help it stick around. Obviously Protect works just as well, but Detect is preferred on the off chance your opponent uses Imprison.

Set Details
========
232 Speed EVs let Deoxys-A outspeed base 130 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Gengar. With a boosting nature and 252 Special Attack EVs, Psycho Boost secures an OHKO on 4 HP Landorus-T and can OHKO Mega Charizard Y 75% of the time. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to give Deoxys-A's physical coverage a bit more kick. Since Deoxys-A can't really handle any attacks anyway, a defense-reducing nature is not a problem. A Focus Sash is typically preferred over a Life Orb since it lets Deoxys-A survive a hit which that it usually wouldn't so it can attack more than once most of the time. If a Life Orb is used, you Deoxys-A gains the ability to OHKO Heatran and 0 HP Kangaskhan with Superpower. With a Rash nature, Psycho Boost is a guaranteed OHKO on maximum HP Kyurem-B as well as maximum HP Politoed. Togekiss loses, at minimum, a minimum of 84% of its HP, (add comma) and bulky Thundurus is cleanly OHKOed by Ice Beam, so there is no need to lower Deoxys-A's Special Attack by using Psycho Boost. If a Naive nature is used, an EV spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe is best as it gives Deoxys-A has the ability to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T.

Usage Tips
========
Deoxys-A often works in a hit-and-run manner, striking hard with Psycho Boost and then switching into something bulky so it can come back in again later with its Special Attack restored. Deoxys-A can handle many common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop with Ice Beam and Psycho Boost, respectively. Due to its inability to switch into attacks, Deoxys-A typically functions as a lead or revenge killer; as it can only switch onto the field after a teammate has been KOed. Deoxys-A tends to struggle with more defensive teams but can often net multiple KOs against frailer, more offensive teams. Deoxys-A draws in a lot of attacks which can be avoided through the use of Detect. Deoxys-A needs to be kept away from chip damage from things such as sand or hail, as it this breaks its Focus Sash. When possible, priority moves such as Fake Out also need to be avoided.

Team Options
========
A fast Fake Out user such as Mega Kangaskhan helps Deoxys-A put even more pressure on the opponent and helps buy it extra turns to keep its Focus Sash intact. Follow Me support from Pokemon such as Togekiss helps Deoxys-A to live and dish out more hits than it would without the support. Terrakion can provide Quick Guard support to stop Fake Out and other such priority moves whilst also putting a lot of offensive pressure on the opposing team. Bisharp dissuades common Fake Out users like Scrafty and Hitmontop from switching in and also deals with Pokemon that resist Psycho Boost, such as Aegislash, with its Dark-type STAB attacks. Though Deoxys-A does not need Thunder Wave support to patch up a limiting Speed stat, it can be useful since lucky rolls with full paralysis can help it stick around longer.

Other Options
########
Rock Slide is a usable spread move which that takes out Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame as well as any weakened threats which might be left on the field. Substitute makes Deoxys-A really hard to deal with but is incredibly hard to set up for free due to the way Deoxys-A draws in attacks. Deoxys-A has access to a very fast Taunt and Thunder Wave, (add comma) which are both valuable support options. Thunder and Thunderbolt can be used to hit Water-types, (add comma) but Psycho Boost tends to do better damage anyway.

Checks & Counters
########
**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Though very few Pokemon can comfortably come in on all of Deoxys-A's attacks, some can shrug off the damage or switch in against resisted attacks. Tyranitar can switch into Psycho Boost and break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash with sand damage. Pokemon such as Aegislash, Jirachi, and Cresselia can soak up anything Deoxys-A has to offer and KO it in return. Pokemon such as Scizor, Bisharp, and Talonflame can threaten Deoxys-A with priority moves.

**Speed**: Pokemon Choice Scarf users such as Genesect that utilize a Choice Scarf can often handle Deoxys-A well. Pokemon that have abilities such as Swift Swim or Chlorophyll also perform well against Deoxys-A since it relies on its Speed stat to avoid taking damage. These Pokemon include Kingdra, Ludicolo, and Venusaur.

**Speed Control**: Deoxys-A is weak to every form of speed control. (remove space before period) Paralysis support from Pokemon such as Thundurus makes Deoxys-A a sitting duck as it can't use its Speed to strike first. Trick Room means that almost every Pokemon in the metagame will outspeed and KO Deoxys-A with ease. In a similar fashion, Tailwind also allows Pokemon to outspeed and easily KO Deoxys-A.

**Utility Moves**: Fake Out users such as Mega Kangaskhan, Scrafty, and Hitmontop cause huge trouble for Deoxys-A, so the move needs to be avoided through the use of Detect. In a similar vein, Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor, and Hitmontop can all deal big damage to Deoxys-A with Feint, even through Detect.

GP 2 / 2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)