Derpy Trick Room

Obviously, the goal of this team is utilizing Trick Room. This team isn't as hyper-offensive (as in, a few really slow pokes designed to come in and sweep), but it's been working really well for me. I'm kind of surprised at how well this team works in battles. This team is more inclined to annoy, I think.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
Level: 1
Serious Nature (Neutral)
IVs: 0 Spd / 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SAtk / 0 SDef
- Trick Room
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage
- Spore

This is usually my lead. What happens pretty often is Spore, then Trick Room, then Endeavor, then Dragon Rage. This Smeargle, being level 1, is unmatched in a Trick Room and brings opponents down to at most 12 HP with Endeavor, and then uses Dragon Rage to finish them off. I can usually do work with this thing because people usually set up hazards on the first turn(s), and opposing leads often don't have priority. This is the reason this team exists, because it's so funny and derpy and kind of works sometimes.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Stored Power

This thing is nice for inflicting burns on the physical attackers I bait out. It's a little bulkier, which is nice, since most of my team isn't really, and I don't have any good Psychic attacks, which Stored Power is after just 2 Cosmic Powers. I do notice that this thing gets critted a lot though. Psychological? Maybe, but I think it is true D:

Steelix @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Steelix can do two things very well: phase out and annoy with the help of Stealth Rocks, and deal massive damage with Gyro Balls, and sometimes Earthquakes. I'm uninvested in Attack because the sole purpose is primarily to phase. In my experience, this Steelix walls so many things very well, and I can still do a ton of damage, even uninvested. A phasing move helps so people can't just set up all day.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Grass Knot
- Surf
- Fire Blast

Because Smeargle's life span isn't very long and this team appreciates the Trick Room, I figured it would be good to have another one. This Slowking, to the surprise of my opponents, has awesome coverage, and destroys grass or water types that come in to try to wall it. Although Slowking doesn't pack a ton of power, it's still good as a Trick Room special attacker.

Marowak @ Thick Club
Triat: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Double-Edge
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

So much power so quickly in the trick room is up. Obviously, this is my trick room physical sweeper. How I use this thing is pretty straightforward. Lots of power and good coverage.

Sceptile (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Leaf Storm

My attacker when the trick room isn't up. Of course, the trick room will only be up like a third of the time, so I need something fast that hits hard outside. Giga Drain helps offset Life Orb, but I need Leaf Storm to get those crucial kills. Pretty good coverage and great speed.

Overall, I mainly just wanted to screw around with Level 1 Smeargle, but everything's actually working pretty well. Now that I think about it, a spinner would be nice at times, but I'm not sure who to replace with what. I guess if I had to choose, I would say Munchlax or Smeargle pull the least weight. However, I secretly don't want to replace Smeargle because it's just funny. Thanks for all of your feedback!

I traded out Escavalier for this:

Marowak @ Thick Club
Triat: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)
- Double-Edge
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

If I had to say, I might think that Escavalier worked better. Marowak doesn't take hits as well due to fewer resistances and such. The ability to switch up moves is nice sometimes, but it doesn't hit as hard, even though there's better coverage. Should I be running Swords Dance? I'm hesitant to, because Trick Room seems so limited in duration, and as is I can't get much done with Marowak. Or is my Escavalier (as seen in the first post) better?

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya NfskMjmMal,

I like how your trying out a Trick Room team and how it can literally flip the outcome of a match. Trick Room is a very offensive playstyle that can quickly outcome the opponent if they aren't sufficiently ready for it. My suggestions assume that you have Marowak, rather than Escavalier.

First, I think Munchlax is dead-weight on your team. Sure it does take some punishment, but it does nothing other than get attacked. Defensive pivots on a Trick Room team needs to be able to set up Trick Room, so you have it active for as long as possible. Right now you have two users of Trick Room, Smergle and Slowking, and one of them is a suicide lead. Also, you team is a bit susceptible to status, which could prove to be a huge annoyance. To help you with all this I suggest Audino to replace Munchlax.

Audino @ Leftovers
Sassy | Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Trick Room
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Healing Wish / Protect

Audino is generally an all-around useful Pokemon and will be able to switch a lot thanks to Regenerator. Trick Room is needed so you can have it up for as long as possible. Wish gives your Pokemon more durability without sacrificing Audino, and gives Audino recovery. Heal Bell gives you some breathing room if Marowak gets a burn or Slowking got hit by a Toxic. Healing Wish is a unique attack that brings your sweeper back to life. Marowak is near death and its sleeping, use Healing Wish and Marowak will be good as new! Protect is an alternative option to ensure Audino gets Wish recovery.

Next, Slowking is as efficient as he could be. Scald and Toxic simply take too long to work their magic, and by then, it'll be too late. I suggest Offensive Trick Room Slowking rather than your set.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Quiet | Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

The suggested set still retains the ability to set up Trick Room, but now he has a lot more firepower than before. Surf is a reliable STAB and Fire Blast catches the Pokemon that resist Surf. Nasty Plot is what makes Slowking really dangerous and it can break defensive Pokemon, and this combined with Marowak's ability to smash offensive Pokemon leads to a great duo! The EVs give Slowking maximum durability and firepower.

I don't think Rotom-mow works as a cleaner due to its STABs being easily resisted. Choice Scarf Emboar is a great Pokemon that can clean up. Fire- and Fighting-type STABs are great and with Entei's great base Attack and decent Speed it'll do a great good at cleaning up the opponent. Emboar isn't meant to take out set-up sweepers, rather it outspeeds the whole tier sans Accelgor.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly | Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Hope I helped n.n

Good Luck~

Thanks for the suggestions Yonko! Offensive Slowking is really working out much better for me. I may consider swapping out Nasty Plot for another coverage move because the longevity of Trick Room sucks and I have trouble against Water types. We'll see.

Audino was a nice idea, but it wasn't working at all for me. It was kind of setup fodder and a punching bag. I decided to try a Rapid Spinner. Since I no longer had Munchlax, Audino, or specially defensive Slowking, I could use something specially defensive. I also don't have any good Ice attacks. Fortunately, there is a Poke that can do all 3 of these. It's probably clear...

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Haze

This has been working decently well for me. I actually haven't used Rapid Spin a lot, but before this I noticed my team didn't like Toxic Spikes, and spinning them away works better than Heal Bell. I could use offensive Cryogonal, but I think this has enough power and it's nice being able to handle pokes that set up.

Choice Scarfed Emboar is all right, but it didn't have enough firepower for me. On a whim, I decided to try this, and it's been working pretty well.

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

This seems to hit much harder, faster, and the coverage isn't bad either. I like this thing.

I'm also considering Roar over Dragon Tail for Steelix. Being able to roar out subs and not have 90 accuracy is nice. Damage is damage though.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
when you said your team didn't like toxic spikes i thought of a solution why don't you swap out someone for nidoqueen so it automatically gets rid of T spikes here's a set.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Modest Nature
- Hone Claws
- Fire Blast
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast

Yeah, I made a huge change to this team. It's not working terribly, it's just I'm not sure which things are better, since things are kind of working the same. Instead of Cryogonal, Accelgor, and Steelix, I have this:

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

The coverage and damage is nice, but the awkward thing is the speed. Since I have a trick room team, and Nidoqueen's speed is kind of in the middle, I'm not sure if I should be running max or min speed. I'm just running max because my Slowbro is min speed and is a trick room special attacker.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Stored Power

Great bulk if I can use this in the right situation, and burning things is really nice, along with amazing power after 2 cosmic powers.

Entei @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk

Well, this adds a third water weakness, and it has the same coverage as Marowak, but I need a good physical attacker when the trick room isn't up. I probably should use something else though that's fast, hits hard, and preferably isn't weak to water. I'm not sure if I should be running Jolly or Adamant. I'll probably change this to Cinccino or something.

NfskMjmMal, I recommend you to update your first post, this way it is easier no rate your new team.

Also, by what I could undestand with your posts, you're running a quite fast sweepers for a Trick Room team. I think your team is: Nidoqueen, Sighlyph, Entei, Smeargle, Slowking and Escavalier, right?

With the current team you have Smeargle and Slowking as TR setupper and Escavalier and Slowking as sweepers under TR. I can't see your team abusing Trick Room correctly, and as you said, TR is here more to annoy others right? So, I think you could run something else in place of Smeargle. Hail is present in the tier, and most Snover carries Ice Shard, and Snover is also a lead. You could try using Uxie instead of Smeargle since it can do many jobs for the team.

Uxie @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

I used this Uxie to setup TR and Rocks. Toxic is here because in that times Cresselia was still legal, and there was no way to break her without it. But Uxie has a lot of others options, but without a nice look in your team I can't chose a better one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)