desert guerilla - an ou sandstorm team

hello

I only recently started playing competitive battling but I soon discovered that it is very difficult to battle weather teams without using weather yourself. So I started building this sandstorm team.
(I want to apologies for grammatical errors and typos, English is not my native language).

So this is the team:

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Roar
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Tyranitar summons sandstorm and I think this is very useful in a sandstorm team. More seriously, I use him mainly as a trapper. It can easily get rid of ghosts and physic-types. Stone edge is its main stab attack and ice punch hits gliscor and landorus very hard as they set up thinking tyranitar will flee. De EVs make him hit as hard as possible and give him some extra bulk.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Fling
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Gliscor is a great pivot and physical wall. But after one or more sword dances it can be an offensive threat to. Ones it toxic orb has activated it can fling it away and deal heavy damage with its stab. De nature and EVs give Gliscor more time to set up.

Breloom @ Lum Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Low Sweep
- Mach Punch

I use breloom mainly to threaten opposing water pokemon, who are a great danger for my team. It does this rather good, but its main problem is its frailty. It gets killed easily and leaves a hole for water-types.

Stoutland (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- Wild Charge
- Superpower

Stoutland is my revenge killer. It outspeeds every unboosted ou pokemon (I think) and hits them hard with choice band. Return is its main attack as it hits most opponents hard. Crunch is for ghosts and superpower for steel-types. Wild charge can be used against water-types and skarmory.

Keldeo @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Dark]

Keldeo makes a great sweeper. Ones the few pokemon who can outspeed it are dealt with he can come in on a pokemon that cannot hurt it a lot and set up with calm mind. Lum berry can give it an extra setup turn. Surf and secret sword hit most pokemon for neutral damage. Hidden power dark is for everyone else and hits its main counters (jellicent, latios, ...) super effective. Keldeo is also great against opposing rain teams.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic

Heatran can come in on a lot of attacks and forces many switches on which it can set up substitute. It can then safely attack its counters. Its main problem is that it can't touch opposing heatran whit a balloon. Heatran is great against sun teams.

So, that's about it. Thank you for your time!

Hey!

Nice team you have here, Substitute Heatran isn't common nowadays so props for using it. Anyway, let's start with the rate! First of all, I see that your team is weak a bit to dragon-types like Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus and so on expect the Latwins. You can trap-kill Latios and Latias with Tyranitar's Pursuit but you can't do much against Dragonite and Salamence because you haven't a steel-types at all and Stoutland can OHKO Dragonite with Return and it isn't in general reliable revenge-killer because sand isn't up all the battle. To revenge-kill always the dragon-types, I'd change Keldeo's set in a Choice Scarf one. Choice Scarf Keldeo is one of best revenge-kill and thanks to its coverage moves it would work very well in your team. A EV spread of 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP with a moveset of Surf, Hydro Pump, Secret Sword and Hidden Power Fire, with a Timid nature and with Choice Scarf of course is fine. Then, Reuniclus, Gengar and Alakazam can be problematic for your team. They beat Tyranitar and Heatran with Focus Blast and then can damage your team with Psychic and Shadow Ball. Therefore, I suggest you to use Chople Berry replacing Leftovers and Crunch replacing Roar, Chople Berry helps you to tank a Focus Blast and then hit Reuniclus, Gengar and Alakazam with Crunch or Pursuit. I'd use Crunch only because Pursuit can't hit hard Reuniclus and it's a problem for this team as I already said. However, you have two revenge-killers so setupper aren't threats for this team so Tyranitar can lack Roar without any problem. Next, I'd change a little Gliscor's set. If you decide to use the defensive Acrobatics one, you don't need Sword Dance and Protect is more useful to recover HP with Poison Heal and to scout choice users' move. Otherwise if you decide to use the Sword Dance one, you need Facade or Ice Fang, as you prefer, because they are both better coverage moves than Acrobatics and you need also Taunt in my opinion, which is useful to deal with walls like Skarmory, anyway Protect is a good move in the Sword Dance one too. Finally, on Breloom I'd use Sword Dance replacing Low Sleep because it allows to boost Breloom's good attack and it's in general a better move than Low Sleep on Technician Breloom.

Good luck.

EDIT: I didn't see that you haven't Stealth Rock on your team. It helps you to deal threats like Dragonite, Volcarona and Thundurus-T more easily so I suggest you to use Stealth Rock > Ice Punch on Tyranitar. You don't need Ice Punch at all because dragon-types aren't threats for this team after my changes.

Hi, there

Known that the team does not place Stealth Rock, which is a very important move in this metagame, especially against Pokemon like Volcarona, Dragonite, Salamence, Thundurus-T and others, then I would give Stealth Rock> Roar on Tyranitar.

Now I would change the set of Gliscor, because if you want to use it with Swords Dance, Fling makes little sense, much better to use Facade which is much more powerful, especially against Pokemon like Dragonite and Salamence which otherwise do not hit them when you are at full HP after a Swords Dance. but instead of Acrobatics, which is usually used together with Flyng Gem would use Taunt or Protect, Protect serves to recover HP exploiting Poison Heal + Toxic Orb, while Taunt to avoid the setup of different Wall.

To find the best Breloom Swords Dance> Low Sweep, which will increase the attack, making very dangerous especially Mach Punch, which is the priority, as well as Bullet Seed. Low Sweep would be convenient if after the attack did decrease the speed of the enemy, but otherwise move as you already Fight Mach Punch.
For Keldeo i suggest Hidden Power Ghost > Hidden Power Dark, so just hit Jellicent and Latios, but if you accidentally hit Terrakion, Lucario (with Justified) or Keldeo for example does not increase the attack.
Good luck, with your team!

hello ragazzo, nice team you've got here. i see you're using a combination of fire and fighting types to eliminate steels that would otherwise wall a late game sweep of CB stoutland. i'd like to suggest some changes to help this team out with that:

first thing that i noticed is that you have the infamous keldeo + tyranitar combination, but you aren't using them right. tyranitar wants a choice band, with enough speed to speed creep skarmory. being able to eliminate jellicent/lati@s/celebi is pretty important so that keldeo can spam its STAB attacks unhindered. tyranitar isn't accomplishing much with ice punch, since everything that it hits super effectively is hit harder with either stone edge or crunch. here's the set i recommend:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature

-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower/Earthquake

this set allows tyranitar to outrun all versions of jellicent that invest in less than 100 Spe EVs, meaning you can KO jelli before it hits you with will-o-wisp. it maintains tyranitar's incredible power while also offering natural bulk. the last slot is entirely dependent on you. superpower allows you to maim ferrothorn and rotom-w, as well as KO'ing breloom on the switch in. however, earthquake makes sure that jirachi can't set up on you, as well as being a solid answer against heatran. if you aren't satisfied with either of these and want to use something completely different, you can use ice beam. lando-t (which is becoming increasingly popular in usage) will usually switch into tyranitar without even thinking twice. however, with 56 SpA EVs, tyranitar KOs landorus-therian with ice beam after stealth rock 100% of the time. here's the set below if you wanna try it out:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk/ 56 SpA / 100 Spe
Lonely Nature

-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Ice Beam

now, as for keldeo, he's going to want a choice scarf. as others have mentioned you have no reliable revenge killer, and keldeo excels at just that. here's the set below:

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Secret Sword
-Hidden Power Ice

once tyranitar has eliminated keldeo's checks and counters, you can feel free to spam hydro pump/secret sword. surf is a safer alternative to hydro pump when you can't afford to miss. hidden power ice becomes really useful when you have to revenge kill that +1 dragonite/salamence/haxorus, and is also useful for destroying thunderus-t.

finally, i can see that you have no pokemon to set up stealth rock, and stealth rock is probably the most important thing a team can have. because of this, i'm going to suggest you replace your gliscor with a very similar pokemon: landorus-t. thanks to intimidate, it is able to sponge physical hits like its nothing, and because of that 145 base atk it can hurt things without the use of swords dance-- unlike gliscor. moreover, it is a better pivot than gliscor because landorus-t can utilize u-turn more effectively. here's the set:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature

-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge/ Hidden Power Ice
-Earthquake
-U-turn

landorus-t is a great defensive pivot, and a great setter of stealth rock. the choice of nature is up to you; i prefer impish because it further buffs his defense stat, however relaxed can be used to make sure you have a slower u-turn than other landorus-t's, meaning you will always maintain the momentum in mirror matchups. earthquake and stone edge form the infamous edgequake combo, however hp ice can be used if you want to be able to hit garchomp/dragonite/salamence/opposing landorus-t once you've intimidated them. note however, that this leaves you more open against gyarados.

those are all the changes i can think of at this moment, hope i helped! good luck with the team :toast:

Gimmick

Electric potential
Hey ragazzo!

If you need sprites, you can just copy and paste them from here:
|
|

First of all, this is a really nice looking team for someone who only recently started! :o However, my biggest concern is the reliance of Gliscor to handle fighting type attacks. The problem is that so many fighting types have ice type coverage specifically for Gliscor (e.g. Lucario and Toxicroak). The first suggestion I'd like to make is to outspeed both of these with said Gliscor by using an EV spread of 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd with a Jolly nature. Although you do lose out on quite a bit of bulk, the ability to outspeed even Jolly Lucario will definitely come in handy before it sweeps your team. Anyway, in BW2, Gliscor is so easily revenge killed that a Sword Dance set isn't the most optimal fit for the current metagame. Gliscor is essential to your team as a solid fighting resist, so I'd like to suggest a set change instead. Since you outspeed Deoxys-D with the new spread, try out a pseudo stall-breaking set such as this:
(M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Now, this set is very very team specific. Taunt allows you to prevent Deo-D from setting up hazards first turn since you lack a spinner while 5/6 of your team is vulnerable to Spikes. It also has the utility of stopping quite a few essential parts of stall teams cold. Aerial Ace OHKOs Techniloom which would otherwise pose the biggest threat to your team. Earthquake is self explanatory; hits Terrakion, Toxicroak, and Lucario. And Roost is there to make up for your loss of bulk. Maintaining a high amount of HP is important when you rely on Gliscor so much.

Another problem I see is Scarf Keldeo, who outspeeds everything on your team and has the ability to OHKO every member except Keldeo. It just has to click Secret Sword until Gliscor comes in riskily, in which it can use the opportunity to take it out with Surf. You mentioned that Breloom is your answer to water types, and although it does resist them, it's way too frail to take up a role such as that. Try out a Specially Defensive Celebi in its place. It can switch into Keldeo (along with Politoed, Rotom-W, and other water types) all it wants and recover off the damage. It also provides you with a second Breloom check, which can be crucial when Gliscor is so easily disposed. Here's the set:
@ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Recover

The EVs allow you to outspeed Adamant Breloom while maximizing special bulk. Baton Pass scouts switches and escapes Pursuit so Keldeo-TTar combinations will not shut you down.

I actually agree with Ice Punch on Tyranitar because of your Landorus problem, but you definitely need Stealth Rock, so replace Roar with it. Since you're using 252 Atk and Adamant to maximize Pursuit damage, phasing probably won't be too important when you can just knock Pokemon out. Stealth Rock is crucial in games to break sashes, deal instant damage, pressure Rapid Spins, and break Dragonite's Multiscale immediately.

Lastly, on Heatran, replace Toxic with Hidden Power [Ice] to round out your coverage and deal damage quickly. This way, you can break Heatran's Air Balloon and hit Dragons like Lati@s and Dragonite (<- that guy can give you trouble). Hitting them hard right off the bat is generally more important than slowly wearing them down when you have a relatively offensive team because it allows your sweepers to clean up. Once again, it prevents Landorus from setting up, which can do some massive damage to your team once the suggested Celebi is weakened.

That's all I have for now! Good luck! It's a great team for starting so recently~

thanks for the reviews. They're really helpful!

I used the faster gliscor and it does its job wel.

I also used the celebi (i was thinking of using it in stead of breloom). I somehow miss breloom raw power, but celebi does its job better.

I tried using choice scarf on keldeo, but I found it didn't have the sweeping power of the calm mind set. It is however true that iI need a revenge killer. Perhaps I should use alakazam or starmie?

I used stealth rock instead of roar as suggested and I used dragon pulse on heatran instead of toxic. I used dragon pulse instead of HP ice because it hits a little harder if I mispredict while still killing dragons.

Ones again, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)