Desert Sun

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Tickle Me Emo, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Tickle Me Emo

Tickle Me Emo

In a first glance (Dont have images)
    Vulpix, Victini, Serperior, Leafeon, Salamence, Chansey

In depth:

Ninetales (Is It Hot?) @ Focus Sash
    -252hp, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
    -Will-o-wisp
    -SolarBeam
    -Fire Blast
    -Dark Pulse/Protect

Ninetales sets up the drought and can OHKO a lot of pokemon trying to setup, such as Forettress. Aerodactyl, Skarmory, etc. Will-o-Wisp will cripple any physical sweeper looking to open or any obvious switch. EX if someone opens with Politoad, 9/10 times they will switch, thinking Im switching, to give themselves a way to stop my drought. In comes say Kingdra, its burned,I laugh and switch. Solarbeam and Fire Blast give great coverage on most of the opening pokemon for at least neutral. The last most was originally Dark pulse, but while writing this I thought of protect to stop from openers that are gonna try to break my sash with Fake Out. Might switch that.

Heatran (EARTHQUAKE) @ Air Balloon
    -4hp, 252SpA, 252 spe, Modest (+SpA, -atk)
    -Nitro Charge
    -Earth Power
    -Fire Blast
    -Hidden Power Ice

Nitro Charge gives Heatran the speed of a Scarf with the freedom to change attacks. Earth Power downs other Heatrans that may be scarfed into Fire Blast. Hidden Power Ice covers Dragons and Flying types such as Aerodactly whom are otherwise immune to my other two attacks.

Serperior (Perversity) @ Big Root
    -4hp, 252SpA, 252spe, Modest (-atk, +SpA)
    -Contrary
    -Leaf Storm
    -Giga Drain
    -Glare
    -Hidden Power (Fire/Rock/Ice)

This Serperior is an amazing pokemon that counters most water, ground, and rock pokemon thinking they are gonna come in and destroy a fire team. Leaf Storm is amazing when you know your opponent is going to switch, as it gives a +2 on the opponents pokemon. In the somewhat common opportunity that I can guess what they are switching to I will Glare their switch and cripple a most likely fast pokemon. Giga Drain + Big Root allows for a Stab +6 recovery of 80% damage done. For people who might not know how much this is, I can usually hit a Blaziken for knockout damage and recover from danger zone to full in the same turn. The Hidden power Im still playing around with. Fire and Ice both cover other Serperiors, while Rock covers all Serperiors weaknesses and most people dont expect it. Ice can deal with Dragon pokemon, where Fire can deal with bugs such as Scizor, along with that Grass/Steel.

Leafeon (NoNickname) @ Choice Band
    -Chlorophyll
    -4 hp, 252 atk, 252 spe, Adament (+atk, -SpA)
    -Leaf Blade
    -X-Scissor
    -Quick Attack
    -Retaliate

Leafeon is an amazing pokemon, hands down. With 289 speed, doubled via Chlorophyll, Leafeon hits a high 578 speed, which out runs just about everything, even most scarfed pokemon as far as Ive seen. Leaf Blade is a STAB, high crit, physical attack. X-Scissor is just there as another type because I didnt know what to add. X-Scissor hits grass, darks, and psychics to super effective, smacking into Bronzong for neutral through its solid steel typing. Quick Attack is for those desperate pokemon whom are low on HP and are gonna try to get in a last shot, such as a Scizor or Arcanine that is really hurting, as well as Lucario. 9/10 I can KO a Red-barred pokemon that might be sporting Extreme Speed or another priority move. Retaliate is what makes this a completely amazing Revenge Killer. Retaliate doubles in power if the previous pokemon fainted, surpassing the 135 power of STAB Leaf Blade. Retaliate being normal is only resisted by Rock and Steel and Ghost pokemon, but can hit grass, bug, dragon, fire, poison and flying for neutral, which Leaf Blade cant.

Salamence (The Mence) @ Life Orb
    -252 atk, 4 SpA, 252 Spe, Naive (-SpD, +spe)
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast

Dragon Dance brings 492 speed, 554 atk. Have you felt a 554atk STAB Outrage? It doesnt feel nice. The Mence can intimidate many physical sweepers and thereby harming, if not crippling them, therefore he plays a lot of defense in this too. Bringing him in on any physical sweeper that doesnt sport Ice Punch or Ice Fang (CURSE YOU GYRADOS) Will force a switch and let you Dance at least once. Outrage and Earthquake hit very hard on Dragons, Rock, Fire, Steel, and Poison pokemon. In fact I cant think of a single pokemon that wont take at least neutral damage aside from Bronzong. Those annoying dual typed steel pokemon that make Earthquake neutral are a pain with their high defense... so The Mence gets pissed. What happens when a Mence gets pissed? It breaths fire and burns them up. Off a Danced Mence, Flamethrower is a surprise and works nicely.

Chansey (Inb4troll) @ Evo Stone
    -252 hp, 200 def, 56 SpD, bold (-atk, +def)
    -Aromatheropy
    -Soft boiled
    -Toxic
    -Seismic Toss

Pretty common Chansey setup, aromatheropy heals my pokemon of their stats issues such as burn on leafeon or thunder wave on any of my sweepers. Softboiled + Toxic makes non-steal or poison types cry (EXCEPT BRELOOM AND DW GLISCOR!!) Seismic Toss breaks most subs that resist the toxic, along with hitting anything but gengar that cant be toxiced.

KNOWN PROBLEM POKEMON (Pokemon that really hurt)
    Wimsicott (If it comes out on something I cant 1hit it with, itll seed then sub before I can hit it with anything except a Leafeon Quick Attack).
    Breloom (I have always had an issue with this damn thing, and here is no different.)

TRASH CAN:

Vulpix (IM STONED) @ Focus Sash
    -Drought
    -0 Spe IVs
    -252 hp, 252 SpA, 4 SpD EVs, ??? (+SpA, -spe)
    -Confuse Ray
    -Will-o-wisp
    -Fire Blast
    -Energy Ball

Vulpix is here for 1 purpose and 1 purpose only. To cause a Drought. Why Vulpix? Ive found 2 huge issues with opening with Ninetales, Hippos and Toads. Hippos set up Sand Storm and are outsped by Ninetales, therefore they get their sandstorm. Toad is the same way with Drizzle. Will-o-wisp allows me to cripple any physical pkmn opening against me wanting to set up on my set up. Confuse Ray is if they switched turn one and got burned, I can confuse and take a hit with teh sash. Fire Blast and Energy Ball are just to destroy things setting up such as Skarmory, Swampert, Drizzletoad, etc. The Nickname is to deceive people into thinking its using a Evo Stone instead of Sash.

Victini (V4Victory) @ Choice Scarf
    -116hp, 140 SpA, 252 Spe, Timid (-atk, +spe)
    -Final Gambit/Focus Blast
    -Fire Blast
    -Grass Knot
    -Psyshock/Psychic

Victini is a beautiful pokemon. 328 Speed, + Scarf = 492 speed which can outrun almost any non-boosted pokemon, if not all non-boosted pokemon. With this and his 116hp EVS, Victini can dish 370 damage off the Final Gambit and with this set I can take a ScarfTar Pursuit or a Swampert Earthquake and strike back. ScarfTar is a reason I was running Focus Blast, although I dont think Focus Blast covers anything Fire Blast and Grass Knot doesnt. Fire Blast is a 120 base power, + STAB 180 + Sunny Day = 270 power, 93 accuracy. That is quite fun to use against your opponents (Grass/Steel) wall thing that I cant recall the name of, along with anything even hit Neutral for fire blast. This covers a lot of other sweepers such as Scizor, whom would be forced to U-Turn or Pursuit because a Bullet Punch shouldnt do to much. Grass Knot takes down heavy bulky pokemon like Swampert and I think Hippos. I also think it OHKOs Tyrannitar, but I dont know with Sand Stream. Psyshock allows me to not be walled by pokemon like Blissey, though it is 10 power weaker and cannot hit anything with high defense very well. Also Im debating about Victinis other moves he can use, like Thunder and Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball is a great choice that I want to fit in for Shadow Tag Chandelure, whom will be in this team when it becomes legal (Its all over the place on Pokemon Online, which doesnt have unreleased pkmn banned).

Please give me advice, this is my first good team. :)
  2. Jaroda

Jaroda

The biggest issue is that your team lacks resistances. Even though a couple of your pokemon are fast, you don't have much to soak up a Latios' Draco Meteor ouside of Chansey, who thanks to team preview can simply Trick and cripple.

If you're going to use a sun team, Venusaur is undoubtedly the best Chlorophyll user. I'd replace Serperior with it. Graowth in the sun increases both At and Spa by +2 in case you didn't know so it's a brilliant mixed sweeper with much better coverage and can use Sleep Powder if you really want.

If you're using a sash on Vulpix than what the hell is the point of the defensive EVs? Max your speed and SpA so you can do decent damage as everything is going to 2HKO you anyway.

I can probably think of a few other things but I'm tired atm. GL with your team.
  3. SmileZ

SmileZ

I'm sorry I don't know the name for Nitro charge in english.. Just to build on from Jaroda's suggestions regarding your lack of a Dragon resists.

Heatran @ Life Orb/Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EV's: 4HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    -Nitro Charge
    -Fire Blast
    -Hidden Power [Ice]/Dragon Pulse
    -Earth Power

This Heatran 4x resists most Scizor this gen so you don't have to worry about that if you choose to use this set over Victini. When you predict a switch which you will get many of in the sun, hit the Nitro Charge button and enjoy the power of a Life Orb and the speed of a Choice Scarf.

Works well in the Sun and can help take those DM's which will be flying your way.

To be honest, I don't think you make the best use of the sun but the above suggestion should help.
  4. Tickle Me Emo

Tickle Me Emo

@Jaroda I will max the SpA of Vulpix but not the speed. A fast drought pokemon will lose out on an opening weather to a slower one. Also I tried Venusaur and I couldnt get a workable set. I tried SubSeed and it didnt do to well. Then again Im convinced the best SubSeed is that grass flying from Gen 5 that gets Priority on Leach Seed and Substitute. However if you can give me a good offensive venusaur set Ill run it over Serperior.

@SmileZ Why give it a -atk nature then fill out Heatrans attack and leave its SpA alone? Should I do 4hp/252SpA/252spe?

EDIT: I also added a know problem pokemon list.
  5. Eos

Eos Do It With A DON!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Please put in images, they make it nice to look at and easy to rate :D
    This really is a good team, and i hardly have any complaints at all atm for it.
    Change Flamethrower with Fire Blast. Without hardly any investment at all in Special Attack, Flamethrower will hardly do anything to a Ferrothorn for example.
    I suppose that is a good starter, but if you see (in team preview) that you are up against a lead toad or ttar or hippo, then just switch your ninetales to something that counters them. So, that Vulpix idea was interesting but not advised. It'd be much better if you just used Ninetales, sorry.
  6. Tickle Me Emo

Tickle Me Emo

@Eos I will change Flamethrower to Fire Blast, and will ponder the change back to Ninetales. I dont have images unfortuneately =\

EDIT: I was told by some people that unreleased DW pokemon, such as Chandelure, were illegal. However I see DW Chandelure all over the place, so is it legal? If so i will play it... ITS SO EPIC :)
  7. V0x

V0x ah
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

On PO you can still use unreleased pokes in DW.

The thing about weather starters is that people usually play conservatively with them. Therefore, even if you are slower and get sun up first people will switch out and come back in after your Vulpix is gone (which it will be, especially when you play it with a sash).
    Since you are playing DW and there isn't preview, you can also choose to not lead with your weather starter and thus opt for a Ninetales so that it can actually kill stuff. Then, you would lead with something that could beat down the other weather starters.

On Serperior I think HP ice is your best bet. If you choose Ninetales you have fire covered.
  8. Tickle Me Emo

Tickle Me Emo

Ive decided to go with Ninetales as I can easy KO a Politoad and Hippowdon. I am also going to use Heatran over Victini.

I wanna use Shadow Tag Chandelure, but I cannot figure out who to take out for him. Also this team I am using for my youtube channel, and not many people allow unreleased pokemon in wifi battles. I found out Serperior is not yet released, so what should I put in for him in Wifi battles?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)