Desktop Dungeons Mafia - Postgame

When creating this game a year or two ago, I knew I wanted to make a plain, vannila-style game that would force the players to do some behavioral analysis instead of relying on powers. I think that it worked quite well.

Town: 15(2-shot vig, back-up vig, doc, back-up doc, cop, 10 vannilas):

You are the Gnome Bloodmage, Town Vigilante.
You are a brave explorer, taking nourishment from the blood of others. Sadly, you are manaburned. This limits your spellcasting greatly.
Once per night, you may cast BURNDAYRAZ at a player and kill them. Since you are manaburned you can only do this twice - your health is enough for one casting by using BLUDTOPOWA, and your health potions wil be just enough to enable a second in combination with the dead player's bloodpool.
Your win condition is: Eliminate all anti-town forces.
-------------
You are the Elf Wizard, Vannila Town.
You are a master of magic, capable destroying all in your path with your fireballs. Sadly though, you haven't found any glyphs - seems like there are none left! Bugger.
You have no special abilities.
-------------
MODNOTE: Elf Wizard is actually backup vig. When the Vigilante dies, Elf Wizard receives this message:
When <Playername who is Vig> died, you could sense that he dropped a couple glyphs. As you ran to take them, you had to fight through a nasty Wraith, resulting in a manaburn. Fortunately, you have obtained two glyphs: BLUDTOPOWA and BURNDAYRAZ.
You now have the following ability:
Once per night, you may cast BURNDAYRAZ at a player and kill them. Since you are manaburned you can only do this <howevermanyareleft> - your health is enough for one casting by using BLUDTOPOWA, <and your health potions will be just enough to enable a second. (if there are still two)>
-------------
You are the Elf Sorcerer, Town Cop.
You're the only class in the game that can win at level one. Sadly though, you got a bit too cocky and had to use up almost every one of your resources to survive.
Once per night, you may cast your LEMMISI glyph to discover the alignment of a specific player.
-------------
You are the Dwarf Warlord, Town Doctor.
Despite being a Warlord, you're not very good at war. Or at being a lord, for that matter. Your glyph, however, is a godsend.
Once per night, you may cast CYDSTEPP at a player of your choice. That night, if the player would die, instead he doesn't. Mind, though, that this costs quite some MP, and you have to replenish that MP somehow - you may only use this ability once every two nights.
-------------
You are the Goblin Tinker - Vannila Town.
As a Tinker, you have great potential. Just think of everything you could buy in these shops! Sadly though, the dungeon has been pretty thouroughly looted, and you haven't found a single shop yet.
-------------
NOTE TO ME: Might not happen. May be replacement instead below.
MODNOTE: Goblin Tinker is actually backup Doc.
Just before <Playername who is Doc> died, you finally found a shop! Sadly, all they had was an Orb of Scouting. But when you bought it, you saw a glyph pop up in the edge of your vision! Sadly that glyph was guarded by a Wraith, who gave you a nasty manaburn. The glyph turned out to be CYDSTEPP - this could prove useful...
You have gained the following ability:
Once per night, you may cast CYDSTEPP at a player of your choice. That night, if the player would die, instead he doesn't. Sadly, due to your manaburn, you may only do this once in the game.
-------------
You are the Human Warrior, Dwarf Berserker, Halfling Thief, Halfling Priest, Human Paladin, Elf Bloodmage, Orc Assassin, Human Rogue, Human Monk, Dwarf Monk.
Sadly, the dungeon is pretty thoroughly looted. You couldn't find any noteworthy treasure.
-------------
-------------------------------------------
-------------
Scum: 5(Godfather, RBer, goon, 2 conspirators):

You are Nine Toes, Mafia Godfather.
You're the Bandit King, and you're pretty good at that. Your partners <otherscumA>, <otherscumB>, <otherscumC> and <otherscumD> seem to agree - they elected you to be the leader. However, you know that two of them are conspirators, and want to kill you.
if you are lynched, the player who hammered you dies.
You may send me, once per night, the name of a player. That player will die. You do not need your team's consent for this, but if you die the choice is inherited by your teammates.
You may speak with any of your teammates in the following quicktopic chat: <link>, and only at night.
You know that the Dwarf Rogue is not in the dungeon.
Your win condition is: Eliminate the town, or arrive at a situation where nothing can prevent the same, and be alive OR have the Conspiracy members dead at that time.
-------------
You are the Tormented One, Mafia Roleblocker.
You're a tortured soul of a previous explorer. And you're MAD. Your partners <otherscumA>, <otherscumB>, <otherscumC> and <otherscumD> will help you DESTROY ALL THE EXPLORERS FOREVER.
You may, once per night, send me the name of a player. That player will be temporarily manaburned, and unable to act that night.
You may speak with any of your teammates in the following quicktopic chat: <link>, and only at night.
You know that the Gnome Thief is not in the dungeon.
Your win condition is: Eliminate the town, or arrive at a situation where nothing can prevent the same, with the Godfather alive OR the Conspiracy members dead.
-------------
You are the Matron of Flame, Mafia Goon.
You are a queen dragon, and you're pissed about all the adventurers killing your babies! They'll pay - and you have help from you partners <otherscumA>, <otherscumB>, <otherscumC> and <otherscumD>.
You know that the Human Crusader is not in the dungeon.
Your win condition is: Eliminate the town, or arrive at a situation where nothing can prevent the same, with the Godfather alive OR the Conspiracy members dead.
-------------
You are the Medusa, Mafia Conspirator.
You're pissed at those idiots. Everybody always treats you as the easiest boss. But you've got friends. Your Conspiracy partner is <scumwhoplaysAequitas>. Your other mafia partners are <otherscumA>, <otherscumB> and <otherscumC>.
You may speak with your conspiracy teammate in the following quicktopic chat: <link>, and only at night.
You know that the Halfling Tinker is not in the dungeon.
Your win condition is: Eliminate the town, or arrive at a situation where nothing can prevent the same, with the Godfather dead and at least one Conspiracy member alive.
-------------
You are Aequitas, Mafia Conspirator.
You're pissed at those idiots. Nobody repects your wicked beard. But you've got friends. Your Conspiracy partner is <scumwhoplaysMedusa>. Your other mafia partners are <otherscumA>, <otherscumB> and <otherscumC>.
You may speak with your conspiracy teammate in the following quicktopic chat: <link>, and only at night.
You know that the Human Wizard is not in the dungeon.
Your win condition is: Eliminate the town, or arrive at a situation where nothing can prevent the same, with the Godfather dead and at least one Conspiracy member alive.

The backup roles never came into play here, which is a bit sad, but oh well. I intended for them to never know their power - the idea was that you should play well, regardless of your role.

The town were wondering why they're facing such a powerful mafia. Well, in fact, the mafia were facing problems of their own. HSA and rckheg had to kill the godfather, and make sure to not die themselves. Once they killed the Godfather, Acklow and Yeti know that they have to get rid of the conspiracy to be able to win. I think it worked out well in this game as a balancing force - HSA's claim was not unexpected, though much earlier than I thought it would be.

One thing that greatly irritated me about the game was the editing thing early on. I really did let Spiffy go because of the reasons I stated - in fact, had I instead killed him, it would've helped the town because Quagsires would have received Spiffy's shots, instead of Spiffy being roleblocked for most of the rest of the game.

I was really annoyed at the mafia in this game who, without fail, delivered no content and just rode along. Is it any surprise they lost? If even one of them tried to contribute as well as a few of the town, they might have been in a much better position on days 6 and 7.

I was skeptical at DLE's lack of a counterclaim at first, but it worked out very well and pretty much sealed the game.

Mafia Chat: http://www.quicktopic.com/46/H/NS594Q5LeV76g
Conspiracy Chat: http://www.quicktopic.com/46/H/9yVt3dNZa54CZ

Night action log:

Night 1
DLE investigates Brammi (Town)
Spiffy idles
Isaac 2.0 protects Spiffy
Acklow manaburns Spiffy
Mafia kills Brammi

Night 2
DLE investigates Fatecrashers (Town)
Spiffy kills rickheg (blocked)
Isaac 2.0 protects nobody (cooldown)
Acklow manaburns Spiffy
Mafia kills Uncle Sam

Night 3
DLE investigates Yeti (Scum)
Spiffy ?
Isaac 2.0 protects HSA
Acklow manaburns ?
Mafia kills Isaac 2.0

(I have no PMs from Spiffy or Acklow for this night. I can tell you that it didn't matter, though - we can assume that Spiffy idled and Acklow manaburned him, anyway :P)

Night 4
DLE investigates DetroitLolcat (Town)
Spiffy kills DetroitLolcat (blocked)
Acklow manaburns Spiffy
Mafia kills billymills

Night 5
DLE investigates rickheg (blocked)
Spiffy kills Nightmare Jigglypuff
Acklow manaburns Da Letter El
Mafia kills Fatecrashers

Night 6
DLE investigates Fangren (Town)
Spiffy kills Acklow (blocked)
Acklow manaburns Spiffy
Mafia kills Da Letter El

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I didn't cc because i didn't have much in the way of results, and my one result of fate being innocent was not reason enough to counter-claim. I figured that it would just let fate, who was one of the more outspoken and pro-town players on day 3, die sooner. So I let HSA claim cop.

Pushing a lynch on HSA may have been a mistake on my part, even if it is true that I was certain that the role name "sheriff" would never be used in this sort of game. I figured at the time that it wasn't obvious enough of a counter-claim, so I went with it, but didn't push super hard on it.

I've explained most of my actions and decisions on IRC. I'm happy to post them here.

But all in all, I felt that the mafia played pretty poorly. The only major mistakes I made were inspecting yeti n3 when i was pretty sure she was mafia anyway, being a little obvious on the pushing a lynch on hsa on d3 when i didn't need to, and my read on quagsires. Sorry quags; you're honestly the only person i suspected who I didn't go back and reread posts for, which was honestly just me being lazy. Besides that, I'm fine with the way i played.

I don't think that the village even needed the conspirators, the way this turned out ^^. Although now that i know about them, it makes yeti's reaction to the hsa claim on day 3 less surprising.

Sorry, village for being a dumbass and editing my post. ;_;
And sorry Alpha Werewolf for having to take shit from UncleSam and the like!

Also 3 for 3 in NOC games that has to be a record!!!!!! (Not that I helped much)

Also, I'd love it if everybod could answer these questions:

1. Did you enjoy the NOC rules? Would you make any changes to them?

2. Did you enjoy the setup? Would you make any changes to it?

VANILLA. NOT VANNILA.
THANK. YOU.

I followed every single post of this game. Congrats on pulling it off, Alpha Werewolf. I think the mafia setup is very interesting, reminds me of some godfather-setup live mafias Mekkah hosted on IRC a long time ago, though those of course had outside communication. ;)

Incidentally, this is the first NOC game the village has won on Smogon, to my knowledge. SDS hosted two a long time ago as well and the mafia dominated both :D Granted, we played awesome. 2/2, baby. But it's nice to see proof a NOC village can win in an OC-based community like Smogon :D

ETA: Oh, I forgot about Peace NOC! This is the first non-Expert/big mafia I've paid attention to in forever so yeah.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was kicking myself at the end of Day 1 for not saying "vannila" in one of my first posts to prove I was a villager (it would have proven me after Groshi was godkilled). Unfortunately, I only thought of that after Groshi's death was announced, of course.

Props to DLE for an excellent game played. Fatecrashers also played quite well, and Unclesam for the short while he was alive.

I liked the NOC rules. It's definitely different from regular smogon mafia, and a good change of pace.

It was pretty well set up. I was a bit surprised at an every-night hooker, but it didn't seem that overwhelming.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Question for the mafia: Why did you hook DLE and kill Fatecrashers Night 5 rather than kill DLE and hook Spiffy? All you accomplished was:
A. The village had it's smartest and most cleaned leader (DLE) around to contribute to an extra lynch.
B. We confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that Spiffy could both kill and was telling the truth about getting hooked. True, he could have been a wolf still, but the argument to lynch him was much weaker.
C. You gave the village vigilante an extra opportunity to kill someone that could well have been one of your own and, at the worst (as it turned out) eliminated an unclean villager who might've been mislynched later on.
D. In exchange for the previous three points, we lost Fatecrashers. A loss yes, but not exactly worth the previous three if you ask me when you could've just killed Fate Night 6 and been done with it.

This, to me, was the poorest play in the game and really gave the village a huge momentum swing.

I already gave props to (my vote for) MVP DLE in the main thread, so I guess I will thank the other villagers who I thought played very well: Fatecrashers, Quagsires, and billymills. Not that the rest of you played badly, I just think that those guys did a lot to help the village.

I liked the NOC format and the lack of power roles, it seemed a lot more like a traditional mafia even if it was a little frustrating being a normal villager in a seemingly never-ending game at times. Maybe just add deadlines to the days next time?

I also liked the conspiracy within the mafia, that was definitely a cool twist I didn't see coming.

Thanks to Alpha Werewolf for hosting.

Da Letter El

They believed (or at least did not want to risk) my claim that there was a 2nd doctor, when all i was was an alliance check (lol). Add in that spiffy was killing a villager and there was no reason to hook him

I don't like deadlines in games like this and like NOC; setting a deadline kind of encourages procrastination and i dunno, I just don't like it x_x

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Question for the mafia: Why did you hook DLE and kill Fatecrashers Night 5 rather than kill DLE and hook Spiffy? All you accomplished was:
A. The village had it's smartest and most cleaned leader (DLE) around to contribute to an extra lynch.
B. We confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that Spiffy could both kill and was telling the truth about getting hooked. True, he could have been a wolf still, but the argument to lynch him was much weaker.
C. You gave the village vigilante an extra opportunity to kill someone that could well have been one of your own and, at the worst (as it turned out) eliminated an unclean villager who might've been mislynched later on.
D. In exchange for the previous three points, we lost Fatecrashers. A loss yes, but not exactly worth the previous three if you ask me when you could've just killed Fate Night 6 and been done with it.
They believed (or at least did not want to risk) my claim that there was a 2nd doctor, when all i was was an alliance check (lol). Add in that spiffy was killing a villager and there was no reason to hook him

Yeah, that was the case. I didn't want to take the risk of having a second bg around, so I hooked fate and koed DLE. I had second thoughts about it too.

More later.

Incidentally, this is the first NOC game the village has won on Smogon, to my knowledge. SDS hosted two a long time ago as well and the mafia dominated both :D Granted, we played awesome. 2/2, baby. But it's nice to see proof a NOC village can win in an OC-based community like Smogon :D

ETA: Oh, I forgot about Peace NOC! This is the first non-Expert/big mafia I've paid attention to in forever so yeah.
Emphasis mine. This was not, however, the first time the village managed to lynch a mafia in NOC (in Peace NOC, the village managed a couple). I think the villages are on a learning curve!

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I said that I would post later, so I'm going to do so now.

Anyways, I'd like to highlight a few things this game:

1.) As you guys could tell, I made a mistake in the scumchat right before the day that pole was lynched (N2). Basically, I outed pole as Godfather, and I did so without thinking that the conspiracy might need him out of the picture. Thus the reason why D3, pole was lynched off by HSA (allowing him to get away with his fake-claim as an "inspector"). I think had I not said so, things would've been slightly different.
Also @ polelover44:

Note that it says:
"Also, Hey pOlelover, if yOu have Kill, I take it you are the godfathER?

Yeah, that was my fail attempt at codifying my claim as hooker. Nobody noticed though, so I decided not to bring it up again. (lol)

2.) I was actually playing quite well until people started questioning my integrity. To be honest, I DID have to move and the month of May WAS a transition period. So I wasn't lying there. Just a few excuses here and there :P

3.) Yeti sux

4.) HSA you blew your cover quite quickly, but we still needed use for you. Had DLE not claimed D5, I think the game would've been in our hands. I was still hoping that people would swap their votes to someone else, because I needed a few meatwalls for myself.

5.) rickheg was quite inactive tbh and that bothered me this game, oh well...

6.) Fate and billy, you two played really well. I'd nominate either of you two as MVP. Kudos.

7.) Trolling DLE by killing Brammi N1 was fun (though it was a rand, we were either going to kill Billy, Brammi, or US, so yeah)

8.) I should've been a bit more aware of what I said (though it was already fucking hard and anything I said could've been taken the wrong way).

Anyways to answer Alpha's questions:

1. Did you enjoy the NOC rules? Would you make any changes to them?

NOC rules have been used before, but IRC was used in Peace NOCed Down Mafia for the scum. Quicktopic was a good idea for usage though, I liked that.

2. Did you enjoy the setup? Would you make any changes to it?

The set up was simple, yet daunting for the Mafia, because we couldn't ride on the assumption that there was a wolf, and an extra kill never hurt. Though I do have to say, the village sure had REALLY nerfed roles.

Lastly a question to all in the village: who do you think played the best among the Mafia/Conspirators? Village had quite a few good players on their team: Brammi, US, Fate, DLE, Quag, and billy.

Yeah, this is my last tl;dr for DDMafia (put you all through enough already).

Edit @billymills: I guess you're right, though I'm not sure if HSA or rickheg would've figured that out at the time.

Da Letter El

Best scum would probably be yeti; she was at least blurring the line between being really mad and being scummy. Although I thought she was scum by n2, she was the read I was least confident in and had to use an inspection on.

Also, it was mostly from the posts of yeti that I was able to tell who most of the mafia were, as it seemed as though most of you just kinda followed her lead...

I think everyone should have known the second polelover claimed to have the kill that he was the godfather...
Yup!

That was the conspiracy's hint as to who the Godfather is; Conversely, the mafia should have realised what was going on from their win condition; If they need either the Godfather alive or the conspiracy dead, clearly the conspiracy need to take out the godfather. It seemed plain to me; I guess maybe the wording was confusing.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think everyone should have known the second polelover claimed to have the kill that he was the godfather...
I did.

I also knew the conspiracy would need him dead, which is why I never asked for the godfather or tried to press the issue as I didn't want the conspiracy to confirm it was polelover.

I was tempted to rat out HSA before I died because I wasn't sure if my remaining mafia mate would be able to win with them, but in the end I figured I'd let HSA stay undercover as long as possible.

That was an absolutely terrible play on his part, though. To rat out the godfather like that, for all he knew it could've jewed our kill or something, and it made it very obvious to us he was in the conspiracy.

Didn't really gain us anything either.

I was 90% sure DLE was bluffing about a second BG but I was dead so oh well.
I also think we should have killed off Spiffy earlier but for some reason my other teammates didn't agree ?_? yeah he misfired and that was all he did but it also cleaned him when Acklow moved the hook to DLE.

I think we wasted too much time aiming at villagers instead of taking out Spiffy and tbh we shouldn't have thought we could get a power role lynched simply because they hadn't died.

idk how I could have played less scummy considering everyone thought I was mafia in Peace NOC too until the inspectors confirmed my cleanliness. I guess I just play like scum regardless in NOC games??? And unfortunately for me inspectors always target me lol. Not to mention I think most of the folks who have played with me for a while know I prefer being village to mafia.

We definitely made some mistakes in targeting and I can't say my teammates played overly well.. almost all of them were suspected like D1 because they contributed almost nothing.

I wish I was more useful. Hoping to actually contribute something next time I play mafia.

Did mafia have a feeling there were back-up roles? I don't understand why you guys didn't just kill the vigi after killing me.

UncleSam

Leading this village
If the mafia had wanted a Spiffy lynch they should've kept hooking him.

If they wanted to hook DLE instead then they should've offed Spiffy ASAP.

But they really should've killed DLE since even when hooked he was the smartest remaining villager.

I'm agreeing with Yeti the mafia weren't the best people to be chosen, she was probably the best out of all of them, and even then she didn't do very well.

Spiffy should've either been hooked or killed, and if the village knew there was an inspector, they should've either hooked him to make us lynch him or killed him, with the killing him being a much safer option. US is right in saying that if you had killed DLE while hooking Spiffy, that would've probably been best, since we might have followed that with a lynch of Spiffy and DLE was almost certainly confirmed anyways.

But Isaac, that happens in early games to all of us. Don't get too discouraged.

As for the rules, the only differences worth noting would be to give IRC an option for mafia communication as well as quicktopic, as well as having ~a week deadlines, but I can see both as only being suggested because we're used to both of those as a community

So apparently I could have been a backup rezzer...awesome. That is, it would have been awesome, IF I HADN'T BEEN MISLYNCHED DAY 1.

/bitterness

Seriously though, congrats us for getting the first village NOC win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)