Devil's Sandstorm (OU Sandstorm Team)

Introduction
This is my first RMT I have posted here on Smogon and I have about a 50/50 succuess rate with this team. I started this team cause of the amount of abilities that made pokemon not take sand damage. Changes in Bold.

The Team

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang

My lead pokemon for laying Stealth Rock and a lot of the time I get that off with out on turn one. I use slack off to restore any damage I happen to take if I wasn't gonna be 2HKO'd. I use Earthquake as my STAB to hit other pokemon and Ice Fang for a little more coverage.I used to use Roar instead of Ice Fang to shuffle pokemon and get rid of pokemon who have stat'd up.

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

I wanted a little something to fight against Fighting type pokemon I heard this metagame was flooding with and gave it Psycho Shock instead of Psychic to trick people thinking they can throw in a SpD Wall in my face. Focus Blast to hit Dark types who think they can switch in on me. Recover to restore my HP up because I'm bulky enough to take a hit or two. And Calm mind to preform a Calm Mind sweep. I use Magic Guard to not take damage from anything but attacks since I have sandstorm up or if I get burned or poisoned or get Life Orb recoil.

Excadrill (M) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Frustration

Sand Throw, EVs, and Jolly give him 604 Speed while in Sandstorm to outspeed alot of Pokemon. Balloon to avoid any Ground attacks that would be used on me till I get hit once. Swords Dance to give me Attack to hit like a Truck :D. I'm using Earthslide for great coverage that is only resisted by few types and Frustration for more neutral coverage with nice power behind it (I use Frustration because like everyone uses Return :p).

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Just a Rock Polish sweeper with Earthquake for STAB, Stone Edge to hit Flying, Ice, and Bug, and HP Ice to hit Grass, Ground and Dragon. I use Sand Power to raise his power since I have Sandstorm constantly up or atleast try to and Naive Nature to make me faster.

Cacturne (F) @ BrightPowder
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

I use this to mainly hit Water, Ghosts, and Psychic types that come in. I Swords Dance if I expect a switch or when I have my Sub up, I sub if I expect nothing to Sucker Punch and to get me a Swords Dance or two going, Sucker Punch for a quick finish off on a foe or to hit a Ghost or Psychic with a nice STAB Priority, I use Drain Punch to hit Steel, Rock, and fellow Dark Pokemon. My Evs are to make sure I hit as hard as possible and to give me HP needed for decent subs and to take a hit. I use Sand Veil and BrightPowder to give me some Evasion chances to help me not be so frail.

Jirachi @ Leftovers Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Fire Punch

I swapped out Cloyster for Jirachi so that I have one less pokemon weak to hazards and something that is Defensive that I can switch to when I need to take a hit or need to spread some status and give out some Wishes. Iron Head to make pokemon flinch and a nice STAB, Thunder Wave to spread Paralysis on the enemy team, Fire Punch to hit Grass, Ice, and other Steels, and Wish to dish out some healings.

Conclusion
This is my Sandstorm team and first RMT and would love some feedback on improving it. I wouldn't mind switching out any pokemon if it would make the team work better or switch around any Moves/Abilities/Items/EVs to provide better coverage or better fighting.

I only have one question because I am very intrigued. How well does CS Doryuuzu work in this current metagame? Sounds very interesting to tell you the truth.

I would suggest giving Cacturne BrightPowder > Life Orb. I konw that no-one likes hax but hey, its not your problem. More evasion means more chances to boost up and Drain Punch healing and Sucker Punch for faster threats.

Also give Cloyster Shell Armor > Dustproof. I konw you're looking for Poke's that evade weather but Shell Smash helps in the long run. I would also run more bulk, seeing as he functions more as a support Poke than an attacker.

GL

I'd go for the Adamant nature on Dory, since 825 speed is plenty. A moveset of Earthquake/Rock Slide/Return/X-Scissor also seems more useful than your current one. Ground + Fighting is redundant coverage while Ground + Rock is only resisted by a handful of pokemon. Return hits everything that Quakeslide doesn't apart from Bronzong for a consistent 102 BP.

EDIT: Oh, and 1 more thing - Cloyster seems completely unecessary here. Your team doesn't need Rapid Spin support, seeing as you only have 2 pokes not resistant or immune to some hazard (one of them being Cloyster himself!). I'd try and find a decent special attacker to replace him, since you're currently only carrying 2 special moves on your team (Psycho Shock not included).

Reuniclus doesn't need Psycho Shock. Aside from Latias, who beats you anyway, no special wall can touch you thanks to Magic Guard. All you do is Calm Mind to +6 and Recover along the way. Also, Bold and LO (no recoil) is better than Modest and Leftovers.

Choice Scarf Excadrill? That's simply overkill. Without SD, Adamant nature or LO you're simply not going to be hitting very hard and you'll be walled to hell and back and can easily be revenged. Choice BAND Excadrill on the other hand isn't a terrible idea thanks to immediate power, but otherwise the standard SD set it best.

With Cacturne I'd replace the Spd EVs with HP, Life Orb with Leftovers or Brightpowder, and Seed Bomb with Substitute. With Sand Veil it's very easy to sit safely behind a Sub and get off extra Sword Dances while you kill sap more HP with Drain Punch and kill with Sucker Punch. Dark and Fighting is only resisted by Toxicroak and Heracross afterall so that's all the coverage you really need. Maanwhile all those changes will make you a decent tank.

As was mentioned Cloyster doesn't help your team at all. The only pokemon that benefits from Rapid Spin is Cloyster itself! Rather I think you need something that can absorb Draco Meteors for your team. Bulky Scizor and SpD Jirachi are both great choices, and Jirachi can use Wish to heal your team too. Reflect is also a good option to help Reuniclus set up Calm Minds easier.

I only have one question because I am very intrigued. How well does CS Doryuuzu work in this current metagame? Sounds very interesting to tell you the truth.
GL
It was working pretty decently and the scarf did take a couple people by surprise and I was surprised when I outsped a +3 Blazkin

I'd go for the Adamant nature on Dory, since 825 speed is plenty. A moveset of Earthquake/Rock Slide/Return/X-Scissor also seems more useful than your current one. Ground + Fighting is redundant coverage while Ground + Rock is only resisted by a handful of pokemon. Return hits everything that Quakeslide doesn't apart from Bronzong for a consistent 102 BP.
Whoa, it reached that high xD yea that is a bit of overkill. I'm gonna try it out with Choice Band and Adamant nature so I'm hoping Sand Throw will still give me the speed I want if not I'll probably try Scarf with Sand Power.

As for the rest of the comments I just changed my team using your advice and shall test tomorrow :D but it is now bed time lol Thank you all for the advice ^^ I'll post changes after I do a few test rounds

You're kind of missing peoples points regarding your Excadrill. You want speed and power. The dominant set is Jolly with Swords purely because it is obviously extremely fast in Sand and Hits like a truck once you have pulled off a Swords Dance.

Keep tinkering around with it of course, if it works for you..

You're kind of missing peoples points regarding your Excadrill. You want speed and power. The dominant set is Jolly with Swords purely because it is obviously extremely fast in Sand and Hits like a truck once you have pulled off a Swords Dance.

Keep tinkering around with it of course, if it works for you..
So without a Choice Scarf he isn't fast enough? Or is he enough for what I want him to do without a Choice item?

he runs hippowdon because unlike most weather teams sandstorm gives you a choice of whether you want to run a more offensive team or a more defensive team. T-Tar is for offensive sandstorm teams and hippowdon is more for setting up rocks then stalling. It just depends on which you like better and in this case he likes defensive better

he runs hippowdon because unlike most weather teams sandstorm gives you a choice of whether you want to run a more offensive team or a more defensive team. T-Tar is for offensive sandstorm teams and hippowdon is more for setting up rocks then stalling. It just depends on which you like better and in this case he likes defensive better
I do like the bulkiness and plus he is nice and slow so at the start of a match my sand is up ^^

Thank You to all of you who have commented suggestions and I mauled them over and tested them a bit and feel my team is work alot better now (Especially with Cloyster taken out)

Hippo is more like for Defensive but can be fit on offensive team.
This bulky metagame make using defensive poke on offensive team tolerable actualy.
But Ttar is basicaly best overall poke in metagame that can use any move and do anything.

Not saying Tar is better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)