ORAS NU Diamonds in the Rough

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Hello and welcome to Diamonds in the Rough. Though the ORAS NU metagame is still young, none can say that the updates to the metagame haven't bettered it in general. With new threats rising up and new megas to play with, NU has been given a new lease of life the past few weeks and this team thrives in the new metagame.
Teambuilding:

Now that there are megas in NU, the first thing anyone does is put one on their team. Steelix was most appealing because it has a good matchup against Glalie and Audino, the other two most prominent megas (though Camerupt is also amazing) and it balances bulk and power well, whereas Glalie and Audino focus on one or the other.

I noticed that Steelix could probably be a pretty good phaser, so I just skipped a bunch of teambuilding and added a favourite hazard stacking core of mine. Garbodor, Piloswine and Misdreavus work great together, as one of the trio usually resists another's weakness. Misdreavus also spinblocks, which is useful for the core. However, right now this team was lacking consistent offensive presence quite severely.

I added Kangaskhan because she can really rack up damage on hazards teams with her priority, and she gives me some much needed offensive pressure. At this stage I could get completely walled by good physical defense, as my specially offensive presence was really lacking.

Finally, Lanturn was added as a bit of a nuke against physical walls, and as a slow pivot to help me get hazards up over the course of the battle. Kangaskhan and Lanturn became an offensive core which I will definitely use again, as they seem to counter lots of each other's counters surprisingly well.

The Team:

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Steelix is the glue of the team. A very basic set in that of ResTalk phasing, but it's pretty useful for this meta. Heavy Slam is a useful nuke against the vast majority of the tier, even without any attack investment, and Roar is used over Dragon Tail for reliability and phasing out set up sweepers behind subs, which is something this team otherwise struggles against. There isn't much to be said about Steelix's place on the team because it is so incredibly simple, but at the same time it's a consistent win condition, and even against teams which handle Steelix well in the teambuilding aspect it can often cause chaos with its Roar shenanigans. Speed is definitely an issue here.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Pain Split

Garbodor only has one job, and that is to set up (Toxic) Spikes. Most of the time I just end up sacking this thing to something like Mega-Glalie to deal large amounts of residual damage thanks to Aftermath and the Rocky Helmet after it has completed its duty. Pain Split gives Garbodor some survivability, and Gunk Shot means that Garbodor isn't just taunt bait. It is a key Pokémon for my synergy because it is my number one counter to Fighting-Types, which otherwise cause mayhem here, as it can shrug off most hits thanks to resistance and max defense investment, and deal residual damage back to them.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

I am a huge fan of Piloswine. In XY it was pleasantly anti-meta, and while the shift over to ORAS hasn't been kind to it with new threats like Mega-Steelix, Pangoro and Mega-Camerupt appearing, Piloswine still does what it needs to do. It can fairly consistently set up Stealth Rock, and it has priority to finish off the battle late game with decent power when it has to. Ground- and Ice-Type moves are also both pretty handy in the NU tier for the most part, though they are less useful now thanks to people preparing for Mega-Camerupt and Mega-Glalie respectively. Still, Piloswine is a useful presence against lots of teams which don't prepare for Piloswine, and while its usefulness definitely changes depending on the team matchup, moreso than I would realistically like, it proves its worth on the team by doing what it has to do in almost every fight. Piloswine is a useful counter against Mega-Glalie, which would otherwise destroy this team. The 32 speed EVs are there to speed creep, since base 50 speed is quite a cramped speed tier, 16 EVs is the norm for speed creeping. I just decided to take it one step further.

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Pain Split

This is something I'm unsure of; I keep going back and forth on whether Misdreavus or Mismagius is better with a defensive set such as this. Misdreavus has greater mixed bulk, but no Leftovers and is slower and weaker than its evolution. Nevertheless, I find Misdreavus to be more consistently useful, being able to take physical hits before burning their source, whereas Mismagius often just faints or is severely crippled. Anyway, Misdreavus' role on the team is the stall breaker, with attacks like Taunt and Pain Split to spread chaos throughout the battle. Misdreavus also acts as the anti-lead with Taunt, allowing Piloswine to run Icicle Crash over Icicle Spear for more reliable damage. Like with Piloswine, Misdreavus speed creeps here with 16 speed EVs. Misdreavus is the spin blocker on the team, which is obviously necessary for a hazard stacking team.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake

Kangaskhan is great for this team because he uses double priority, which coupled with hazards is a very powerful damage dealer, able to take out many threats in the tier late game. I use Silk Scarf here because Kangaskhan is also a glue of sorts, dealing chip Fake Out damage here and there. Double-Edge is used on this set over Return to maximize offensive presence, as your opponent is always even more wary of this thing once Double-Edge has been used. Earthquake is pretty much filler, but it does hit Rock- and Steel-Types for pretty good damage, as well as being my main answer to Probopass and Bastiodon, though neither are huge threats besides.

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Lanturn is pretty much the only source of special attacking power on this team. It is a handy pivot with Volt Switch and a fairly slow speed stat, forcing the opponent to make more switches and thus take more residual damage from hazards. Scald is a reliable Water-Type STAB with the handy chance for burn, and Ice Beam is just there for coverage. Hydro Pump is barely used, but can be handy for some late game cleaning where Scald doesn't have enough power. I use Water Absorb over Volt Absorb because my team handles Electric-Type moves more than fine, whereas Water-Type attacks can be troublesome.

Threat List:

Ouch. I can get around this thing with some good switches and predictions, but later on in the game I am easily swept by Mega-Camerupt. Its dual STAB combo just covers my team very handily, but I've yet to find a counter to this thing which wouldn't mess up the synergy of my team in other ways. Right now I just rely on Lanturn to stay alive and Scald it, but this thing generally KOs 2-3 Pokémon per match.

Another prominent threat thanks to the shifts, Pangoro has another handy dual STAB combo. Knock Off even nerfs my Garbodor as an answer to it a little bit, while it destroys my other Fighting-Type counter in that of Misdreavus. Like with Mega-Camerupt, though, I've yet to find a good counter to this thing which doesn't mess up my synergy in other ways, so I just try to handle it with good switches and raw power from Lanturn and Kangaskhan.

If Pelipper and Mantine are on decent teams (a.k.a teams with Ground-Type Pokémon on them to counter their Electric-Type weakness) these two are very annoying, surviving for the whole battle generally and always keeping the threat of Defog open.

Last Thoughts:
This team can function well without hazards being down, despite being a hazard stacking team, thanks to the offensive presence given by Kangaskhan and Lanturn, and partially Piloswine and Steelix. Hazards help against most team archetypes, but against Hyper Offense I often don't have the opportunities to set up, and as such focus on what offensive presence I have as well to try and muscle my way to a victory. While this team handles more bulky opponents well, opposing teams with undying pressure can be difficult to play against, which is the main area in which the current build can improve.

So, please rate and improve my team where you can! I've had pretty great success on the ladder, though I have neither the time nor the patience to actually get a peak above 1500/1600.

Last edited:
Cool team, I've got a couple suggestions

1) Wtf is Steelix doing, It's sprite is weird AF

2) You need a bit more of a special attacking presence. Lanturn is O.K. but misdreavus can't do too much since it is too frail, and garb odor's attack is kinda unreliable, giving the likes of Steelix a free switch in.

3) Seriously, how in the hell does steelix's sprite do that?

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Celever you should just go Stealth Rock Roar EQ Heavy Slam Mega Steelix (you also don't need max def to beat what its supposed to beat on the physical side, so you can easily put all that in SpDef or run a more offensive spread). Pilo + Steelix is redundant and makes your team weak to a lot of things.

You are better off using a bulkier Lanturn tbh. 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpDef Calm with Leftovers and Volt Switch / Scald / Toxic / Heal Bell or even Protect over HB or Toxic for Leftovers recovery + scouting + Toxic Spikes dmg is you feel like it.

use a faster Kangaskhan spread. 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe Adamant is what Kangaskhan needs to outspeed Adamant Sawk and thats honestly worth it for this team. You can obviously go with a faster spread with Jolly if you want to outspeed Jolly Sawk. If you miss the bulk from the Max HP spread, you can always try Leftovers > Silk Scarf which works well along with Fake Out to regain health and check stuff.

Back to Piloswine, you should change it to a win condition imo. Cm Uxie / Mesprit / Serperior or Quiver Dance Lilligant could work quite nicely (make sure to give Dazzling Gleam to Uxie and Mesprit if you choose one of them).

If you really want Misdreavus, atleast make sure it outspeed fast Pangoro so that you can burn it. TBH you should play around with different Pokemon over Misdreavus to fix your weakness vs Camerupt (like idk uhm, vibrava / mantine / AV hari to check it / etc).

sorry if some of the suggestions are vague; there's a lot of options you can choose to fix your team and each of them would need you to change other sets or maybe even change a Pokemon or two so your best bet is to try out stuff and see what you prefer :)

Hi- I've been using a rest-talk phazing Mega-Steelix team in NU myself (I even put up a RMT about it a few days ago- well, technically it was originally not rest-talk, but I changed it after the very good, very specific recommendation of a rater), and the main thing I see here is that I'd question putting 252 of Steelix's EVs in physical instead of special defense. Steelix already has a huge physical defense, and if you're going to be phazing you'll encounter special attackers, and so you'll probably want to beef up its special defense some more.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Celever from looking at this team I see that you have two pretty big weaknesses to Fighting- and Ground-types, and on top of that your team is rather slow. Like Soulgazer said above, running Piloswine and Mega Steelix is a bit redundant and opens your team up to a Fighting weakness. Therefore having a different rock setter of Seismitoad > Piloswine lets you have another check to Camerupt and removes your Fighting weakness. You are also running an inefficient spread on Steelix, a Specially Defensive spread is better. After that your team has some spreads that aren't ideal, such as Kangaskhan, Garbodor, Misdreavous, and Lanturn. All of these Pokemon need some sort of speed to be able to beat relevant Pokemon in the NU metagame and a 0 speed spread is less than ideal. To start off the spread that Soulgazer suggested on your Kangaskhan would be really beneficial as it would help Kanga beat things like Sawk which would otherwise be problematic, so a fast spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe Adamant Nature allows you to have something to revenge kill mid speed tier Pokemon. If you want a bulkier spread for Kanga, try 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe Adamant Nature as it still allows you to ouspeed things like Pangoro while retaining bulk. Next up a better spread for offensive Lanturn is EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe Modest Nature along with having Volt Absorb > Water Absorb, which allows you to outspeed neutral Seismitoad and I find Water Absorb rather redundant on Lanturn and you also get a water absorber with toad. I found through playtesting that you really have no answer to Seismitoad aside from Misdreavous which usually dies as well, therefore running HP Grass > Scald / Hydro Pump is better because having double water coverage is redundant, pick one. I also am going to suggest running Grass Knot on Seismitoad as this will also help with your matchup against it letting you heavily damage it and then freely Volt Switch with Lanturn. You also should be running speed on Garbodor to let it beat max speed base 55s, therefore a spread of 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe Impish Nature is better on Garbodor. Last up your team really needs a wincon to rectify that I'm going to suggest Mismagius > Misdreavous as they can still fill similar roles of being able to Taunt hazard setters, but Misdreavous can actually clean up weakened Pokemon late game with the hazard support you are providing.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD | Bold Nature
Stealth Rock | Scald | Grass Knot | Toxic / Earth Power

Mismagius @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Taunt | Nasty Plot | Dazzling Gleam | Shadow Ball

I hope this helped ^.^

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Actually that Lanturn spread is still inefficient.

252+ SpA Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Lanturn: 270-318 (61.3 - 72.2%)
4 Atk Abomasnow Seed Bomb vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Lanturn: 252-296 (57.2 - 67.2%)

252+ SpA Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 8 HP / 100 SpD Lanturn: 236-278 (60 - 70.7%)
4 Atk Abomasnow Seed Bomb vs. 8 HP / 88 Def Lanturn: 218-260 (55.4 - 66.1%)

As you can tell, for instance a spread of 8 HP / 88 Def / 100 SpD get better bulk on both sides, as Lanturn's base HP is signficantly higher than its defenses. Not as significant but every bit helps. And it's a straight upgrade with no opportunity costs anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)